[stc] Short Beach

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
minuseven

[stc] Short Beach

Post by minuseven »

My 3rd circuit! I wanted to try a city circuit, and what better circuit to mimick than Long Beach? Yes, I ripped off the most iconic corner on the circuit, but whatever, I'm pretty proud of the final result.

Contrary to my last circuit, this one should work fine on most, if not all resolutions.

Recommended car pack: kave's 1979 F1 pack!

Please tell me what you think. Have fun!
Attachments
Short Beach.rar
The download! Have fun!
(61.78 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
The circuit itself.
The circuit itself.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [stc] Short Beach

Post by Bouncebackability »

Third circuit? It's really good! On first glance you would think its by a seasoned trackmaker. :bg: A few small tips on closer inspection, please don't take these as a criticism...

Take a bit more care and time placing walls, and note that they should overlap slightly, as you currently have some very small gaps between walls in some places.

Also the dithering you've added to the grass area inside the circuit is very strong, and very 'standard', it appears that you've used a very large spray brush and done sprayed sand in one click over the area. try to use a small spray brush size, and randomly click patches, then dont be afraid to go back over this by spraying the original colour to break it up again (hope that makes sense). Also consider how the movement of the water may make the ground at the waters edge wet, which may also change its colour :shhh:

One last minor point, the long kerb on the left is different design to all the others, which looks a bit wierd to me.
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

To me looks like a chibi Long Beach. :)
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
minuseven

Post by minuseven »

Bouncebackability wrote:Third circuit? It's really good! On first glance you would think its by a seasoned trackmaker. :bg: A few small tips on closer inspection, please don't take these as a criticism...

Take a bit more care and time placing walls, and note that they should overlap slightly, as you currently have some very small gaps between walls in some places.

Also the dithering you've added to the grass area inside the circuit is very strong, and very 'standard', it appears that you've used a very large spray brush and done sprayed sand in one click over the area. try to use a small spray brush size, and randomly click patches, then dont be afraid to go back over this by spraying the original colour to break it up again (hope that makes sense). Also consider how the movement of the water may make the ground at the waters edge wet, which may also change its colour :shhh:

One last minor point, the long kerb on the left is different design to all the others, which looks a bit wierd to me.
Thank you for the suggestions. It was my first time messing around with the lmap dithering apart from my last circuit, which I dithered the track surface. I'll make sure to take this stuff into consideration next time. I will also pay attention to the wall placement. Thank you :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

One more detail about style consistency mentioned about kerb, there's also a difference between runoffs on right and left. On right there are nice deep runoffs, on left not although at least one corner would deserve it (certainly the 1st of zigzag in top-left, but there's room also outside the 90° in bottom-left). :)

The lake banks had potential for more impressive result, I believe, you can try to look at AleksiNir or Darjo's tracks for some tricks (lmap on shore and under water mentioned by BBA, but also bushes/stones use and elevetion changes), especially those two are good at this. :scratch: Some buildings are around the lake too, interestingly no people there (e.g. near pit lane) despite a pedestrian bridge leads there. :scratch: Just few thoughts for next time. Overall it's lovely, 4,75/5 :bg:
minuseven

Post by minuseven »

Trigger Happy wrote:One more detail about style consistency mentioned about kerb, there's also a difference between runoffs on right and left. On right there are nice deep runoffs, on left not although at least one corner would deserve it (certainly the 1st of zigzag in top-left, but there's room also outside the 90° in bottom-left). :)

The lake banks had potential for more impressive result, I believe, you can try to look at AleksiNir or Darjo's tracks for some tricks (lmap on shore and under water mentioned by BBA, but also bushes/stones use and elevetion changes), especially those two are good at this. :scratch: Some buildings are around the lake too, interestingly no people there (e.g. near pit lane) despite a pedestrian bridge leads there. :scratch: Just few thoughts for next time. Overall it's lovely, 4,75/5 :bg:
Thank you Trigger! I would argue against your mention of runoff, as the Long Beach circuit has next to none in the city section anyway, but I guess some could at least be at the outside of the chicane. I will work on my lmap textures for my next circuit! Thank you!