[stc] Toronto Fort York Street Circuit

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Spacethingy

[stc] Toronto Fort York Street Circuit

Post by Spacethingy »

A fictional street circuit located in Toronto, next to the real world Indy circuit in Exhibition Place. This track winds its way around the Fort York complex, before blasting back to the S/F line, threading the needle through the Princes' Arch gate.
A map of the track in the real world: http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/T ... g8L1VUBCVP

This track was built on a design posted by forum user bruno_arnason/The Grimeloid.

The .zip includes two versions of the track: Bruno's original design, and a slightly longer version with an extra hairpin to increase the length of the final straight.
Have fun!

Backstory
So here's a funny story, you may wish to sit down... :D
A few years ago, The Grimeloid formerly known as bruno_arnason (ah, internet forums, I love you!) posted this suggestion for a track in Toronto: http://forum.generally-racers.com/viewt ... 068#p70068 He didn't particularly say anything about it, it was simply listed in a bunch of his Google Earth screenshots.
I rather liked the look of his track, especially as it goes under that beautiful arch Princes' Gate. So, I made the track, thinking wouldn't it be wonderful if Toronto had a street track in that area of the city, with such cool landmarks! Such a shame there aren't more street circuits based around key landmark areas of cities...
Indycar fans may see where this is going... I was searching for Bruno's post just to check his username for credit in the .trk file using the keyword "Toronto" when I suddenly discovered a real world track that goes through Toronto... :doh: Unbelievably, I'd just spent the best part of a few months building a fictional Generally track that actually overlaps a real world track for just a few yards, without having a single inkling that I'd done so.
Anyway, the real world track is well naff compared to Bruno's/mine, it doesn't go through the arch... ;)

TL;DR: I accidentally built a next-door neighbour for the Toronto Indy circuit without realising. :cool:
Attachments
Toronto Fort York.jpg
TorontoFortYork.zip
(208.45 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
minuseven

Re: [stc] Toronto Fort York Street Circuit

Post by minuseven »

I have made a similar mistake before. I designed a circuit in Vancouver in the same location as their old Indy circuit, without knowing about the old circuit. Here's a link to my design so you can see what I mean.

As a Torontonian who has been in the area several times, spectacular job recreating the area. Even if technically it isn't your design, the layout is fantastic. I love your highway overpass too, that's a nice touch of detail.

An easy 10/10 for me. Keep it up!
Bif44

Post by Bif44 »

Nice work Bruno & Spacethingy! Really great use of space (even though this is a real-world layout)! :hattip:
The Grimeloid

Post by The Grimeloid »

Fantastic job! I wasn't aware that someone was going to do one of my tracks in GR (I know there's Windhoek, made by CamrosX (another awesome track and recreation in GR) and that's it... until this beauty). I may sound biased (I'm not), and I don't want to write 1000 lines about how I loved this track in GR (maybe I should), but to write in a few words: I love how accurate the track is. I made a straight before the final turn, despite the fact that in real life is not actually a straight (if you see the map, you'll know what I'm writing about), and you did the straight. It may sound strange, because rwl tracks and fictional tracks based on real locations should have lots of accuracy. But, I don't know, maybe I loved everything about this track, that I had to make this comment.

Well, I guess I wrote a lot (whoops). But, have to write here: Well done, Spacethingy! Superb! And thank you!

10/10, ToM, ToY, and everything else
"He's FAT!" - Steiner, Scott

"YOU'VE GOT WILLY JAKES!" - Johnson, Ahmed

"Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH" - Penzer, Dave

"How do you come back from a performance like this? The answer is YOU DON'T!" - NFL Blitz 2001 commentator
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Just WOW!
The Lmap-objects look amazing. And you really managed to make the track feel "alive".
Which is a very hard thing to do with RWL-tracks.
10/10 and definitely a TOY-candidate!

Just 1 or two small things.
The track is preeetty narrow. I know: RWL, Accuracy e.t.c but a race with 6 cars isn´t really fun.
Some lines and walls are a bit shaggy. This also makes driving close to walls hard because there are tiny, barely visible "bumbs" that make you hit the wall pretty hard.
Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

For me this lmap building have bad perspective. Look to the picture.
Toronto Fort York.jpg
Office block have ideal, perpendicular to the ground straight line, and this building must have the same line too, but this is great track, too narrow in some places but overall looks great. ;)