[cir] [tpk] Sunshine rural racing

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Renee

[cir] [tpk] Sunshine rural racing

Post by Renee »

Hello everyone,
I am a new guy around this forum.
I know you guys use advanced tools for making your pro-like tracks, but these tools aren't enough fool-proof for me unfortunately. :(
But I like the implemented track editor, I quick-painted a few tracks before, but now I want to present you my first serious attempt that has taken me more than 2 hours...
So, let's see it.
My idea was a tiny little rural circuit for amateur racing. In the end I have small raceway with two main tracks and a few smaller routes, which make it possible to create several slightly different tracks.
Since I don't know what more to say for introduction, here we go:
Sunshine.png
Attachments
Sunshine.rar
(68.15 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] [tpk] Sunshine rural racing

Post by Trigger Happy »

That's pretty good, nice smooth bankings, also pit lane is clean job. :bg:

I noticed some gaps between the soft walls, try to focus next time on more careful aligning the objects in walls/barriers/fences and so one.

Out of that, if you feel to be lost in trackmaking, check the Tutorials subforum. There's lot of good and understandable stuff since basic hints to detail descriptions of particular techniques for various editors or tools. :)
Renee

Post by Renee »

Oh thanks, I didn't even hope that these banks would be called "nice smooth" - it was pretty strange to manage them in the editor.
Also I had some difficulties with AI lines, in the end I decided that it is enough that they can finish the race and do a pit stop. :P
I will be more careful about the walls, you are right, now I see the gaps and some humps, I dunno how I could miss them :ashamed:
I noticed the tutorial forum, it will be my next stop when I will feel like reading & building :)
Thanks
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

First of all, welcome here on GRIF! :wave:

About your track: as a first track it's not that bad at all. The initial layout is kind of great, I like the long layout most, that stands close to my taste. Out of that, the banked curve is also spot on, mainly the first one.

However, I'd suggest you, if you're not wanting to use external editors, to use rope length function, so that you can get tidier straights. In this form, main straight is distorted. I'd also suggest to get rid of the short circuit's straight. I just don't feel the need to have that.

Objects are a bit so-so. Pit building is decent, nothing special though. The house row is not a really top solution. Using some tiny details (paths, garden, fences, etc.) is advised.

Those runoffs are way too big, try to make them a bit tinier next time. Also use sand instead of gravel, looks much more prettier so.

So, Renee, I see the potential in you, but try to use these tips for your next track. Keep it going, pal! :bg:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Renee

Post by Renee »

Thanks Herbal!
I will use advanced editors in the future, at least for creating hills, banks, slopes and stuff. Because it really was a pain to make these with basic editor. :)
I use the rope, but apparently it was too short (because I needed some feel for these damned bank curves). I noticed that the straights aren't really straight, but since I noticed it after finishing the work, I said to myself that it was intentional. :P
Since I am not very good driver, the more straights and fast turns, the better for me. That's why I used so little turns and chicanes.
I admit that I need to work on objects, too, because my sense for details is not very high... Next time I will try harder, I promise!
Runoffs were just my desperate solution to "if the runoff is small, there will be empty space, but not enough space to build anything" problem... I definitely need to project my track better next time, so I wouldn't encounter problems like this.
Thank you :)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

If you find editing hmap in TE difficult, try pulling the hmap/land slider a bit towards hmap (left), it will show hmap more clearly for editing purposes. Also don't be afraid to raise or lower the hmap and smoothing it over multiple times to get that detailed result.

Seems like a solid first track, and others have already given you useful pointers, it's just a matter of practice now. :bsmile:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!