[cir] Sun Park

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
MercyMurcie

[cir] Sun Park

Post by MercyMurcie »

My first non-bad track, Sun Park!

I really enjoyed making it, figuring out how to work Snakeditor and lmap editing. I have no Idea how to dither properly, so I ended up just using darker stripes on the track, inspired by one of Masa's older tracks. The track is a bit empty, especially the pits, but it's only my first "proper" track. You may remember me from some garbage TE tracks and effortless cars posted a while ago, but I'm trying to make some proper content now. The track was designed with the 1280x600 resolution, but it works alright in 800x600

How does it drive? Like an oval almost. It's really short, and the esses can be driven straight through, but it's alright for battling with the AI. Speaking of the AI, I've tested all default cars, and only trucks have trouble when they sometimes hit the armco barriers by cutting the slight curve at the start. Other than that, they outrun me like they always do :P

I hope you have as much fun driving it as I had yelling at Snakeditor!
shot0000.png
shot0001.png
Cars are from Masa's classic car pack.
Attachments
Sun Park.zip
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
NickCheeseburger

Re: [cir] Sun Park

Post by NickCheeseburger »

This looks really good to me :bg:
I like the darker stripes going around the track and I don't mind the lack of dithering, though the "needs more dithering" brigade might come after you. All in all, a very solid track to add to my list!
Second Rate Motorsports
puttz

Post by puttz »

It needs more dithering! This track looks awful and boring without it! :haha: Just kidding, excellent looking track! It's an interesting layout and looks like it should provide a challenge with 6 cars pushing and shoving for position.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

I'm in total agreement with the others! :D The track is great! Fast and short; perfect for some kart racing. I like the stripes(if I do dithering I tend to make it look like a constant line around the track too).

My only dislike with the track is that it's too flat. Even for a world size this small. The heightmap is practically untouched.

Other than that there's not really much. Some final touches could be added here and there(just like you sad, it's a bit empty), but the track is neat as it currently is. By the way, I think a zoomed in version would be great! Making the empty space at the bottom of the screen go away. But that's just my opinion. Wonderful improvement and great work! :bg:
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
MercyMurcie

Post by MercyMurcie »

I left it flat because I've never done any proper hmap work and didn't want to make anything weird. In the 1280x600 resolution, it's zoomed in properly to remove the black space at the bottom, but I'm not sure how to adjust the camera properties for different resolutions.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
StingerTheRaven

Post by StingerTheRaven »

Haven't played it yet, but I'm in the same boat as Cheeseburger. I kinda like how you dodged the dithering work here, reminds me of slot car track in a way. I also particularly dig those sandtraps, how they're somewhat messily thrown into piles along the track rather than starting right when the asphalt ends, helping to give the track a lower-tech, almost rural feel coupled with the wood fencing and house in the center.

My only gripe at first glance, like everyone else, is the heightmap; a light dip along the wooden fences, or a rise near the start/finish straight would help add plenty of depth to the track without catastrophically affecting the racing line, or for a more noticeable change, a reasonably-sized hump after the first turn that might end up launching careless drivers into the air on turn 1, or an inward bank on the final turn which might also help with visibility at such an extreme camera angle. These might not be as big a deal as I'm thinking, though, so I'll probably give a more detailed report later when I run some races on it.
Airmatti

Post by Airmatti »

That's great! and the car pack too!