[tpk] [cir] It's A Small World(tour)

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
aliman

[tpk] [cir] It's A Small World(tour)

Post by aliman »

Hello!

Inspired by Scholl and Dragon I decided to make my own mini versions of famous racing circuits. I chose WS 120, because it is the "standard" size since that's what comes up when you click new track in track editor. :D

The tracks are tested with and designed for a fast but low grip car. Tested also with slower/higher grip and it works just fine too. :D I use a 1996 formula car pack (I would put a link to it, but I don't know what or whose pack it is).

Also heavy use of ice as substitute for blue, so I would recommend using a palette as well.

TL:DR; Small tracks, have fun!
Track Pack.JPG
World Tour Pack 1.rar
(141.19 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
World Tour Pack 2.rar
(225.55 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Pack 2. For pictures see post #6

World Tour Part 3.rar
(348.98 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Pack #3. Pictures below in thread.

Goiania.rar
(537 Bytes) Downloaded 243 times
Palette where ice is blue. All Pictures use this palette.

Pack #4 below in the thread. I wasn't able to add it here :|

K, bye.
Last edited by aliman on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
aliman

Re: [tpk] [cir] It's a small world(tour)

Post by aliman »

About the tracks:

I wanted to keep them simple but recognizable. I wanted to "highlight" the best/most known parts of the tracks. So Sochi is just turn 3 with long main straight (which is actually almost a 90 degree turn :D). Turkey will be basically turn 8 and so on.

Paul Ricard, much like in real life, looks fantastic but is pretty crappy to drive. :D I put pit limiters because the fastest laps were always just someone going to the 2nd pit box and thus taking a massive short cut. And that annoyed me :)

There is also an "easter egg" in one of the tracks. Tell me if you spot it. Actually an easter egg and a half. :D So there's another one but it's pretty meh. :D
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I had a quick go at all of these tracks, especially as I'm also interested in this type of concept, I also made some "mini reallife" tracks :)

I have to say that the build quality of the landmap and the objects is really good and clean. The blue lines at Paul Ricard are just so smooth and well finished. What I found a bit sad is that the hmap is mostly flat on all the tracks, except for the Redbullring, which has only minor hmap modifications. But apart from that those are really good tracks and it looks like you've been making tracks for a very long time, while you're only here for half a year! :wow: I tested all the tracks with the original formula and 5 AI Formula. The AI was quite competitive at Paul Ricard, but apart from that it was pretty easy racing on 1st position for me. Maybe it would have been a lot better with those 1996 cars you suggested.

I think Bahrain has the most enjoyable layout, however you could have spiced it up with those slight elevation changes it has got in real. The first corner at Paul Ricard is not there. The Redbullring is pretty boring to race IMO. Sochi has those two fast corners, but apart from it I also found it pretty boring (probably also because of the AI strength).

And then there's one more thing I'd like to add. (Although I did the same in the past with some of my mini rwl tracks).
For my taste there are a bit too many logos and lmap objects on the tracks. I mean, they are all well executed, but my approach when making this type of tracks is to make it more "generallish", not more rwl-like. So that's mostly up to my personal preference right now. Also I would've probably given each of the tracks a "standalone" attribute, or would at least not stay 100% true to the original tracks. To name a few examples, the dragstrip at Bahrain doesn't help anyone IMO, it just takes away the possibility to have the pits at a decend width. The infield at Redbullring is pretty boring and could have had some kind of unique feature which isn't there in the real track. The scenery you showed at your Atra Track looks a lot more versatile than on these tracks. Same goes for the name, I like to name the tracks a little different from the rwl tracks to avoid confusion, but that's also probably just me.
Don't be disappointed by this last paragraph and only take into account what you think fits your future work. Especially the last paragraph is a lot about personal taste, and also the other criticism is already on a high level. Keep up that good work :mrgreen:
aliman

Post by aliman »

Thank you for your comments XYY :bsmile:
XYY wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 pm What I found a bit sad is that the hmap is mostly flat on all the tracks, except for the Redbullring, which has only minor hmap modifications.
Don't worry I've got my excuses ready! :D

So in my defense all but Austria are pretty much flat IRL (Bahrain has small ups and downs as well). Also I'm still learning to do better hmap. I've always sucked at it, so for a long time I made almost always flat tracks. I've only recently started paying more attention to hmaps. So I'd rather under-do them than over do, if you know what I mean.

I think the logos and drawings etc. add color and make the tracks look MORE cartoonish, which I like in smaller tracks.

Anyway, thanks! More comments please :)
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I think Bahrain has the only recognizable layout :scratch: But aside from the layouts, they're all very recognizable. Your simplification of the Paul Ricard layout is very similar to the fictional version of Salzburgring by Darjo.

Austria is my favorite of the bunch. The concept is very simple, but that's exactly what makes it so great. I wish the exits of the corners would be more forgiving about going wide, it's very appealing to me to blast over something that is equivalent to the astroturf on many F1 tracks :D And some of the lmap work is exquisite! But in other parts, such as the pit area, it is rather lackluster. Also, you could look for ideas e.g. from the recent tracks by Crowella on how to make areas like the bottom right in Austria more interesting.

I think despite being subtle, the hmaps are good! Don't be shy about making the elevation changes more extreme.

The other tracks are solid as well :up: I find the thing made out of stands in Sochi infield really funny :mrgreen: And finally, when you place person-objects, try making their spatial distribution more aggregated rather than being so evenly spread :)
aliman

Post by aliman »

Hey again!

Part two is here!

Tracks:

Bahrain Outer Circuit
Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport Circuit
Detroit Belle Isle Circuit
Hockenheim 2001
KymiRing

About the tracks:

I definitely have a soft spot for IndyCar and I think there are some amazing tracks. So here's two of them. If you haven't seen onboards of Cleveland I highly suggest watching! Super fast, wide and bumpy! Just a crazy circuit. :D I tried to capture that as best as I could. I really like Detroit's corners 1+2 and the high kerbs IRL.
KymiRing is brand new and will host its first MotoGP race this summer. Probably my favorite with Cleveland out of either pack. Very "micky mouse" 3rd sector IRL, but I think it's very nice here. :bsmile:
I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't fit the stadium area into Hockenheim. :( I think it was the first track I started working on (first of these mini formula tracks).

The pits are again a bit of a hassle. I don't know what it is with me and pits that we just can't make it work. :D Cleveland and Detroit have cones and tires to slow you down, because again the fastest laps were just AI coming from the pits :mad:

Edit.: Hmaps are a bit underwhelming, as usual. :D

No one commented on the easter eggs in the previous pack so I'll just tell. The lame one was the Gulf Air logo in Bahrain. It has the twitter bird whereas IRL it's an eagle or something majestic. But the actual easter egg was Kimi Räikkönen stranded in the Bahrain desert like he was in 2017 practice session, which then became a meme.

Enough chit chat, have fun, enjoy and comment.
World Tour 2.JPG
World Tour Pack 2.rar
(225.55 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Jonny683

Post by Jonny683 »

I love tracks like these. Anything Chibi might fit well on these tracks!
aliman

Post by aliman »

Updated original post to include palette (with permission of course ;)). I also put the download link for the latest tracks to the first post since I feel like people may have missed it down here. :D
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

It was fun to test these right after testing Trigger Happy's World Tour updates. It's as if these are part of original GR tracks. :D

Quite often I'm not a fan of rwl tracks but these chibi versions make many of them much more fun to drive as they, IMHO, work in GR much better than ws200+ tracks. Overall, they were much fun, and the AI worked very nicely. Below I have some small remarks about each track.

Bahrain - Subtle hmap that works. The visuals are great.
Paul Ricard - I've personally never liked the visuals but it's not your problem. :D Racing works well.
RedBull Ring - Fast and fun to drive. The AI (original Formula @100) cuts the top corner quite often hitting the sunken tyres. Visuals are alright.
Sochi - My favorite of the first pack. The AI is very competitive, the track looks great and is fun to drive.
Cleveland - I've seen many versions of this track in GR but this is my favorite version of Cleveland! The bumps really work here and the looks are top notch, especially those tyre walls. Love it! :up:
Detroit - For some reason felt underwhelmed with this track. I mean it's not bad at all but something was missing, maybe after just testing the superb Cleveland.
Hockenheim - Nice little track. Nothing special but it delivers what it should.
KymiRing - Another track that's nothing special but it works. The AI was not as good as for the other tracks, though.

All in all, these are lovely packs and I hope you're going to make more! :yummy:
aliman

Post by aliman »

Hello! Part three is here, just in time for Christmas!

Tracks can be downloaded in first post at "World Tour Part 3"

Part 1.JPG
Part 2.JPG

Whoa whoa whoa! A whopping 8 new tracks and one "remastered"! :D

Tracks are: Jeddah, Istanbul P., Monza, Sepang, Indy 120, Gil Vilneuve, RedBull Ring and Barcelona. Includes a modern Barcelona and '92 version (pictured above).

RedBull Ring changes: better looking pit lane, extra tarmac runoff for turn 2 at the top and small object changes to turn 2 as well.

With parts 1,2 and 3 you'll have 16 tracks to race on, that's a full season back in the day!

Jeddah has a couple of sports cars to flaunt their money. Cheesy? :doh: Yes, absolutely! If you don't like them just put a people or booths or a patch of sand to cover them. :D

Poor Kimi, lost in Sepang, but at least he has his ice cream. :bg:

Have fun, let me know what you think!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [tpk] [cir] It's A Small World(tour)

Post by TuomoH »

These are just great! My favorite is Jeddah, followed by Gil Villeneuve and Istanbul P. Now I'm off to try your other new tracks. :bg:
aliman

Post by aliman »

World Tour Part 4

DOWNLOAD HERE:
World Tour Part 4.rar
(254.24 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
WTP 4.JPG
And the tour continues! Tracks pictured: Mexico, Road America, Melbourne and Suzuka. Also in the pack: Mexico'68 and Monza Oval.

I find Suzuka and Mexico very fun and enjoyable to drive, I hope you do too!

Please do comment.
Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Looking fabulous, trying them out soon! :bg:
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Amusing cruising i'd say. Had great fun, nice swerving corners and such.
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Those tracks are sure to be classified as classic, most recommanded and can even replace the default GR World Tour Tracks. Those are amazing and there's everything I like in a circuit track on GR ! :bg:

. Vanilla settings that said no rotation, WS120 so not too big, standard view with no extreme POV. Other flavours like chocolate, caramel, strawberry, blue jellyfish extreme yollybanger are good and nice for a change for the novelty but there's nothing like vanilla flavor that never deceives and always tastes good. :yummy:

. It's full of little details that are unique in each one of your tracks, it's pleasing to watch them and drive on them. AI is good enough for me.

. I don't mind the hmap really, it's good as it is for the fun factor. One thing I really don't like is being taken by surprise with the hmap in every corner that forces my car to go outside the track or against the wall which is pretty annoying with time. Here there's no problem about it ; I drive on what I actually see, no bad surprises.

. The fact that you gave the name of the real life tracks help all those like me who don't know well the motorsport universe and don't know about each one of the real life tracks, so it helps me to identify them.

It's so fun to drive with Masa's Chibi Formula 1 cars, your tracks became my top favourite tracks of GR. Thanks a lot for your top quality creations ! Lot of love have been poured into each one of these. :hattip:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
aliman

Post by aliman »

Wow, thanks Kikwik, that's high praise. Very much appreciated :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

A lot of love certainly has been poured on to these, though some are a bit rushed (like Monza oval).

Tbh the naming is all over the place. Some are named after the country, some after the city and some are a version of the actual name. :D A little consistency might've been good.

Little details you might have missed:
Tour de Mond.JPG

Top left to right:

Jeddah: The building in the center is supposed to be Burj Khalifa-esque. The lowest building is at height 0, and the highest building is at 250. Surprisingly little height difference between them imo.

Melbourne: The lake is shaped like Australia and the island is Uluru or Ayers rock.

Bottom left to right:

Cleveland: The circuit is in USA so of course there has to be police present :D

Paul Ricard: Baloo's plane from TaleSpin.

Bahrain: Kimi lost in the desert :(

Road America: The test track at top left is actually the logo for the circuit. In game it's tarmac, painted red here to differentiate better.

Sepang: Kimi lost again, but this time he has his ice cream :D

Other small details:

Mexico hmap is basically flat at 250. That's because it's the highest located circuit in F1.

Sepang: If you'd switch the top left and top right corners places, you'd end up basically with a carbon copy of the original Indonesia circuit.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Frankly if you didn't told me about all those easter eggs I would completely miss them, so it's great to know them now and will have another look to your tracks when driving on them !

I saw that you had problems with adding your latest track pack in your first post, mostly because you can't include into a post more than 5 files whatever if it's a png, zip, etc. Maybe you may want to create a single zip package where you have every tracks you released so far and update it on your first post only ? That's what I did for my Nano tracks and it's way more convenient this way, while keeping the single tracks in each post released so far. You lose the downloads count in the process each time you update it... but who cares ? :) Or you may want to do like Masa did for his creations, adding a link to each package in your first post, that way people will be redirected to each one of your trackpack when clicking on them, like this :

World Tour Part 4

aliman

Post by aliman »

Thanks Kikwik! I think I'll be using the Masa tactic so I can put pictures for each update. :up:

And I started doing that, but then I thought I could update some of the tracks. Just some small fixes, some of my own and some from suggestions from this thread. But nothing major, you probably couldn't tell the difference if not mentioned. So I'll be fixing that in the near future.

So feel free to comment anything. Which tracks are doo-doo or where does the AI line suck? What are some of the tracks you'd like to see in the future?

BTW XYY, I still don't know what this means. :doh: Can you or someone please explain.

XYY wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 pm The first corner at Paul Ricard is not there.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

You're welcome, glad to help ! :bsmile:
BTW XYY, I still don't know what this means. :doh: Can you or someone please explain.

XYY wrote: ↑26 Jan 2021, 23:11
The first corner at Paul Ricard is not there.
I think he's referencing to the very first corner of Paul Ricard just after the start/finish line which is named ""S" de la Verrerie". On your track you only have the corners named respectively "La Chicane" and "Virage de l'Ecole".

I really don't mind personally and with this world size it's quite difficult to accurately reproduce the real life layout.
So feel free to comment anything. Which tracks are doo-doo or where does the AI line suck? What are some of the tracks you'd like to see in the future?
Which tracks are doo-doo :rofl: I love this expression, haha ! :P

Well, I have to drive them again to tell you in details but I appreciated each one of them because it's so small and cute and reproduce real life tracks in GR size with so much lovely details. :goodvibes: I had great fun with them all and will still have fun for sure if you make new ones, whatever they will be. Do what you feel you want to do most, and have fun doing them. :)

Oh yes while I think about it, Bradeco would totally fit in this World Tour Track pack as it's a great Monaco like street circuit and have a similar size. You may simply add it there without touching it, or rename it Monaco or anything else.

aliman

Post by aliman »

Kikwik wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:00 pm I think he's referencing to the very first corner of Paul Ricard just after the start/finish line which is named ""S" de la Verrerie". On your track you only have the corners named respectively "La Chicane" and "Virage de l'Ecole".
I mean to be fair, basically all of the tracks have half of them missing :D . But also these packs were never meant to be copies of the original but more GRfied versions. I don't think any of them have all of the corners in them. That's sort of the point :D
But on the other hand, Melbourne and Mexico for example are far from the original layout, whereas Road America I feel is a good recreation of the original. So I do get the point. In the future I'll go for more of Road America rather than Melbourne style.

I don't think any tracks are doo-doo, but there are definitely some tracks I don't like. If I do a full season I'll usually drop Detroit and maybe Jeddah. In Turkey and Bahrain Oval I can lap the other drivers in a race, so poor is the AI. Detroit and Hockenheim are just underwhelming. There isn't one single thing wrong but more the whole package. Considering it's character IRL, Suzuka has a very underwhelming HMap. Also loads of other minor errors here and there.

My favorites are the more colorful tracks like pack #1.

I like your second to last point. I certainly had fun making and racing all of these and that's the main point. So what if your opponent rockets into you at the top of RedBull Ring. Revenge him by ramming him into the wall at Jeddah. :D :twisted:

About Bradeco. I had more of a "this is a medium sized track" mentality when making it whereas these have small track mentality. For me at least. Even though these are WS120 and Bradeco is 140 :D :doh: .