[stc] Hill City

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

[stc] Hill City

Post by TuomoH »

What we've got here is a short street track that first goes up and then comes down. I've had the hmap and a couple of objects placed on my HD since maybe 2014 but apart from that I've made the rest since my last release. The AI has been designed for the original Formula. Don't use too much damage!

Have fun and feel free to comment. :)
Attachments
hillcity.jpg
hillcity.zip
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Kikwik

Re: [stc] Hill City

Post by Kikwik »

So great to see another one from you ! :)

A nice and well made recreation of a small part of a city, next to water, and prepared for racing. It's charming and it's in a little size, which I prefer most among GR tracks.

Hillcity is a good name for it, with these different roads elevations, and brings a lot of fun jumping from one slope to one other. I appreciate the gentle slope on the upper corner, which soften our fall if we gone too fast, and trying to cut the corner and mastering our driving along those hmap is pretty fun. I stumbled some times against the pit stop in the right corner and can't have an optimal line (By purpose maybe ? With the slope just after, it may be understandable) and first starting place is a struggle with the second one in the first corners but it's fine later on.

I also appreciated to take my revenge on those wicked AIs, who always bump me off the track even with a soft pinch, thanks to those 90° corners which help me to invite my opponents to have a closer look at your nice scenery. It really deserves more attention. :D And it's a way for me to let off the pressure after suffering too much of their bad behavior. :meditate:

I didn't have too much problem with damage though.

Thanks again for your high quality tracks ! :bsmile:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
UTF8

Post by UTF8 »

Cool track! I like bite-sized GeneRally tracks, but not too bite-sized, and I'd say this fits into that category.

The real secret to a good lap time is to figure out the best route to cut through the grass before the last downward hill. On the first downward hill, it's also good to slow down a little and let your car gain momentum from the hill. If you do it right, you can get an almost-diagonal line downhill to the start/finish line. My best lap so far is 7.20 with the Formula, but it's probably possible to do better.

If I had any nitpicks, I'd like the camera to be zoomed in a little closer.
ʕ´ᵔᴥᵔ`ʔづ
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks for the nice comments, Kikwik and UTF8. :)
UTF8 wrote:The real secret to a good lap time is to figure out the best route to cut through the grass before the last downward hill. On the first downward hill, it's also good to slow down a little and let your car gain momentum from the hill. If you do it right, you can get an almost-diagonal line downhill to the start/finish line. My best lap so far is 7.20 with the Formula, but it's probably possible to do better.
You're absolutely right about the best route. If one's just hotlapping, my guess it's possible to go way below 7 seconds (my current best with Formula is 6.98) but the thing with the finish line position is that if you aim at fast finish, you'll ruin the next lap completely.
UTF8 wrote:If I had any nitpicks, I'd like the camera to be zoomed in a little closer.
The thing with lower POV's is that zooming too much below 100 may cause strange effects with different screen ratios but I guess it could've been zoomed a little bit still. :scratch:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Very clever use of speed limiters :) I like the aesthetic of the track, classic TuomoH stuff. Although I feel that it's a bit more crowded than your tracks usually are, which is neither a bad or a good thing, really.

Whose decision was it to build an office block in the middle of the street? :haha:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

AleksiNir wrote:Although I feel that it's a bit more crowded than your tracks usually are, which is neither a bad or a good thing, really.
Might be, might be. Then again, I always make decisions that I think suit the track in question the best so some tracks are bound to be more crowded. Also, the aesthetic style I'm into at the given time dictates my decisions as well.
AleksiNir wrote:Whose decision was it to build an office block in the middle of the street? :haha:
Er... The Mayor? :shhh:

Thanks for the comment, Aleksi. :goodvibes: