[cir] TEOring

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

[cir] TEOring

Post by TuomoH »

As I've been feeling nostalgic lately, I wanted to create something classic. And what would be more classic than a medium-sized circuit that's been made 100% in Track Editor? :D Without further adoo, let me present to you TEOring (yup, that's short for Track Editor Only Ring), a circuit with interesting hmap changes. The AI has been designed for the original Formula.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment! :cool2:
Attachments
teoring.jpg
teoring.zip
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Kikwik

Re: [cir] TEOring

Post by Kikwik »

First thing first... advertisement is misleading ; where's the ring ? :P (When I saw the name of your track, I immediately thought about Oring meaning Onion ring... My subconscious seems to communicate with me :D )

Creating a TE only track seems simple at first, but requires some skills to deliver something good enough to be played by today standards, and to be visually pleasing.

That's the case here. Scenery is coherent and add something that old tracks from 2002-2003 era didn't have back then, like persons and the blue bridge (forgot the exact name of it). I'm not a big fan of those big white lines which demarcated the track and those red and white curbs from TE Editor (I research more neat and smooth lines), but it's a reminder of this style and of this era so its suits well this track.

Driving-wise, hmap surprised me 2 times ; at the first corner, where the banked curve is more banked than I would expect and the corner just behind the paddocks. It gives additional challenge to this track, as AI is quite good too.

This track is a nice example of a mix of old and modern. It will especially appeal to those who played GeneRally at this particular time where TE was all you needed to do a track, but also to newcomers, as they can discover this style with modern standards which will help them to appreciate it.

Thanks for your recent efforts to make new nice tracks, we always appreciate your work and it's a pleasure to see you coming back. (Your new tracks are faithfully added to the GR Database :) )

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

It certainly has that "Generally-feeling"! Great Job!!!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Kikwik wrote:First thing first... advertisement is misleading ; where's the ring ? :P (When I saw the name of your track, I immediately thought about Oring meaning Onion ring... My subconscious seems to communicate with me :D )
Yup, that's your subconscious, didn't even think of onion rings. :D
Kikwik wrote:Creating a TE only track seems simple at first, but requires some skills to deliver something good enough to be played by today standards, and to be visually pleasing.
Not to mention patience - I must have clicked "undo land" hundreds of times while making this...
Kikwik wrote:I'm not a big fan of those big white lines which demarcated the track and those red and white curbs from TE Editor (I research more neat and smooth lines), but it's a reminder of this style and of this era so its suits well this track.
I'm not a fan of those lines/kerbs either but I think they still work nicely enough. When I had the idea to make such track, I thought I'd go for even more basic early era scenery but pretty soon my instict got hold of me. :mrgreen:
Kikwik wrote:Driving-wise, hmap surprised me 2 times ; at the first corner, where the banked curve is more banked than I would expect and the corner just behind the paddocks.
I ran into some old track with similar corner as the one behind the paddocks and wanted to use the idea for my track as well. It was more extreme in the beginning but decided to smooth it a bit so that the AI would stay competetive there.
Kikwik wrote:It will especially appeal to those who played GeneRally at this particular time where TE was all you needed to do a track
Let's hope many of those will find the track. :)

Thanks a lot for the comment and huge thanks for your support for this lovely game. :hattip:

Thanks also to Scholl. :goodvibes: