[ovl] [rwl] [tpk] California & Michigan speedways

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

[ovl] [rwl] [tpk] California & Michigan speedways

Post by Bouncebackability »

Auto Club fontana
Hello everybody! New month, two new tracks!

I was just going to create Michigan, i had planned to do it for a while, but seeing as they fit almost similar criteria of oval, i went and made California too, so wanted to finish that one so i could release them together.

Even though they are very similar, California i have made a tiny bit wider and with less banking and a slightly more curved front stretch than Michigan, because afaik from NASCAR 2k3 that is the way they are :hide:

the ai has been made with Fechna's World of NASCAR pack in mind, however it's perfectly fine with formula too :bg:

anyway, enjoy and comments welcome!

Cheers, BBA!
Attachments
California.jpg
Michigan.jpg
Michigan California.zip
(132.13 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Zero

Re: [ovl] [rwl] [tpk] California & Michigan speedways

Post by Zero »

The landscape of Michigan is a bit "borring" i would say.
But California is top ! nice work, want to see more such nice tracks.
Both are good to drive - with almost all cars i have/use ;)! Oh.. that are ovals i can drive they with all cars :P :D
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

I would just have used the PoV in attachement but other wsier, it looks cool :bg:
Attachments
shot0005.JPG
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The Great Falcon wrote:I would just have used the PoV in attachement but other wsier, it looks cool :bg:
Very good job, if you want to hide all lmap details made behind the stadium. :shake:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

The Great Falcon wrote:I would just have used the PoV in attachement but other wsier, it looks cool :bg:
:really: sorry, but that PoV is pretty bad, i understand people like to have the oval square with the screen but thats pretty bad :?

and i prefer to have the sandbox sqaure with the screen anyway, just makes it feel closer to the track :2c:
Zero wrote:The landscape of Michigan is a bit "borring" i would say.
yeah, i struggled a bit more for resources of michigan, there were also naturally more details around California than michigan. the only thing i could really change is too add more lmap cars in the more open areas, where i assume some spectators might park...

thanks for these comments, any more?
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Auto Club speedway (that's its real name!!!) is quite nice but, hey guy, infield racing is very popular!!!
There have been many non-oval races in Auto-club speedway (AMA goes there EVERY year and there have been even ALMS and Grand-Am races there).
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Bruno Asp

Post by Bruno Asp »

Good Ones! Congrats! I´ve been playing on it and I liked so much!
Bruno Asp
Velocidade na alma/ Speed in the soul/ Velocidad en el Alma
All my tracks: http://www.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=645
CaLu

Post by CaLu »

Thanks for creating this two ovals. I've been waiting (and asking on RSC) for Michigan for a long time and to see a decent version being released is just great.

Seeing Fontana released is a very nice suprise being an oval fanatic around here. I can now gladly continue racing in the IndyCar Series for my own with these fine tracks. :heyea:

As I still need to drive on both of them I shall comment further after doing so.

Greetz and a big thanks, CaLu.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Now I finally made a tests - great pleasure. Just the safety stripes could be little bit thinner maybe. :scratch: I admit, you were successful, BBA - driving on each of those tracks is little bit different no matter almost same shape of layout. :bowdown:
CaLu

Post by CaLu »

Ivo Porč wrote:Now I finally made a tests - great pleasure. Just the safety stripes could be little bit thinner maybe. :scratch: I admit, you were successful, BBA - driving on each of those tracks is little bit different no matter almost same shape of layout. :bowdown:
Same did I and I can't agree more with Ivo in what he just mentioned.
These two are going to give me a lot of fun racing on ovals :bg:

Greetz, CaLu.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

thanks for these comments

@die996; yeah i understand the lack of an infield version, and im fully aware of its use. however making it fit would have been very difficult, especially as this was the maximum size of the oval that i wanted to make to keep it in proportion to existing ovals (MiltonDuPonts oval world size system as well as i can remember it ;) )

@Ivo, what do mean by safety stripes? :scratch:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Bouncebackability wrote:@Ivo, what do mean by safety stripes? :scratch:
I don't know, how it's called in proper terminology. I mean the stripe of tarmac on inner side of track between grass and inner white line. If I understand it well, the stripe is considered to be out of track and cutting through it is banned. I don't know why it's on ovals, but I think, that for safety reasons and entering/leaving track on smaller tracks. :shrug:
CaLu

Post by CaLu »

@ Ivo, if I'm right, the section of asphalt what you're reffering to is meant as exit and entry road to the pits. At least when we're discussing D-shaped ovals like the ones BBA just gave us. It is also an emergency road for ambulances etc. when there's has been an incident where their appearance is needed, as it isn't wise to put the emergency vehicles on the banked oval section itself.
So BBA, the section Ivo mentioned should be there.

Although in case of Fontana I think I miss one grass section though. Namely the one in which Greg Moore's dove his car in before he hit the concrete wall which eventually costed his life. As I consider that they haven't removed it.

Greetz, CaLu.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

CaLu wrote:@ Ivo, if I'm right, the section of asphalt what you're reffering to is meant as exit and entry road to the pits. At least when we're discussing D-shaped ovals like the ones BBA just gave us. It is also an emergency road for ambulances etc. when there's has been an incident where their appearance is needed, as it isn't wise to put the emergency vehicles on the banked oval section itself.
So BBA, the section Ivo mentioned should be there.
This is called the apron, actually (don't ask me why!). At all ovals except for Daytona and Talladega, driving on it is allowed; however, in real life it is usually not done because the apron is much flatter then the rest of the track. It is most commonly seen at the end of qualifying laps, when cars will drive all the way down to the inside to gain speed...

A long, long time ago, when cars were much slower, they usually drove on the apron and went to the banking only to pass other cars. Later, it was kept to give a sort of "margin of error" to race cars that are trying to get to the inside...
I like short, simple signatures!
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Its amazing! Why BBA is not generally trackmaster? I've been wondering... :sherlock:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

bduddy wrote:This is called the apron, actually (don't ask me why!). At all ovals except for Daytona and Talladega, driving on it is allowed; however, in real life it is usually not done because the apron is much flatter then the rest of the track. It is most commonly seen at the end of qualifying laps, when cars will drive all the way down to the inside to gain speed...

A long, long time ago, when cars were much slower, they usually drove on the apron and went to the banking only to pass other cars. Later, it was kept to give a sort of "margin of error" to race cars that are trying to get to the inside...
Thank you. :bg:

Edit: BTW are you sure only Daytona and Talladega? I read that yesterday's times Wheldon and Andretti in qualy for Kansas IndyCar event were disallowed after cars drove beneath white line during qualifying attempt and they were BOPed. :? I didn't see the qualy and cannot find a video, so I don't know, what precisely happened there. :shrug: Or is it rule in qualifications?
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

thanks for these comments, really great :goodvibes:

@ Ivo, that of course is Indycar, in NASCAR you can run on the apron except at daytona and talladega. so indycar may be different
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Sutinen wrote:Its amazing! Why BBA is not generally trackmaster? I've been wondering... :sherlock:
Maybe because the list hasn't been updated since more than 1 and a half year? :stretcher: Once new rules arrive, we'll hold a discussion from new awards. ;)
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Ivo Porč wrote:
bduddy wrote:This is called the apron, actually (don't ask me why!). At all ovals except for Daytona and Talladega, driving on it is allowed; however, in real life it is usually not done because the apron is much flatter then the rest of the track. It is most commonly seen at the end of qualifying laps, when cars will drive all the way down to the inside to gain speed...

Thank you. :bg:

Edit: BTW are you sure only Daytona and Talladega? I read that yesterday's times Wheldon and Andretti in qualy for Kansas IndyCar event were disallowed after cars drove beneath white line during qualifying attempt and they were BOPed. :? I didn't see the qualy and cannot find a video, so I don't know, what precisely happened there. :shrug: Or is it rule in qualifications?
Oh yeah, I was thinking about NASCAR... I saw the same thing during Indycar qualifying, and yes, it is a rule there. I'm not sure about during the race... I've never seen anyone penalized for that or heard anyone talk about such a rule during the race, so I'd imagine it doesn't exist (it would be a lot harder to keep track of!). Of course the Indy cars don't race at Daytona or Talladega...
I like short, simple signatures!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Good job at making the tracks look so different even as they are rated as cookiecutter tracks(since they are so similar). They also seem to have a nice smoothness in lines. Good job. :bg:

Hmm... It would be nice (and scary) to see Indy series at Talladega or Daytona. If there's atleast about one flip during a nascar weekend, what would happen when these light vehicles collide...
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Fechna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Fechna »

:wow: Ovals, how cool is that!

Just one thing: Would you make an "Oil all Inside" version (DHV: Deepwater Horizon Version) so one cannot shortcut...?

Otherwise the tracks are great!
Bunchies

Post by Bunchies »

:lol: I thought deepwater horizon would be an obscure reference, but I guess not!

Great work on these ovals! They've inspired me to race on them much more frequently. :clap:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Normally I don't bump any "old" threads, but I've been a few weeks off, and I really want to speak out my admirance for these two tracks.
I love ovals, and I really missed a good Michigan, thanks BBA!
They're great to drive, just the right "flow".
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

The lost Ninja wrote:Normally I don't bump any "old" threads, but I've been a few weeks off, and I really want to speak out my admirance for these two tracks.
I love ovals, and I really missed a good Michigan, thanks BBA!
They're great to drive, just the right "flow".
That wasnt a bump :D
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

thanks TLN! and as xyy said, its not a bump!

also, i do keep meaning to add a oil version, but i havent had the time recently, lots of work on in this last week of uni for another year :woohoo: