Original Track Update Project 2010

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Original Track Update Project 2010

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'd say contact all the authors of unfinished tracks and give them 2 weeks to finish their efforts.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I think, that ending this project so abruptly wouldn't make much sense. I really liked how more and more tracks were updated through a longer period of time. This project was never dead, and just because some people are showing impatience this doesn't mean, that we should shut the whole operation down. Bumping this thread and encouraging trackmakers to finish their unfinished projects is a good thing, but please, give it some time and some more tracks might yet show up.
Martyn wrote:Why not close it now, vote, then start again with newer objects and set out a strict timeframe at the start. at the moment we have 2 years worth of track making skills mixed in here. why not call this project finished and then get a 2012 project running
This is a massive project, that majority of active trackmakers took part in. I don't imagine these same people participating in the exact same thing twice. Also, 2 year span isn't that long, especially since new tracks were updated throughout this whole period. Trackmaking hasn't changed since then (apart from some new objects and time limiters, but I think it could easily be solved by updating existing tracks).
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

There is also little point suddenly being heavy-handed in a project that's been ticking over slowly - the only reason my UOGRC lasted a year was because the cars were constantly being made (that and there was little restriction on how many people made each thing)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Building a track is much more complex that a car model, a track can take month or more, so although it maybe isn't so much apparent, the work on these 32 tracks really is in pretty constant run whole the time (48 submitted versions in 2 years and 3 months, so almost 2 versions/month on average), I agree with every egamad's word. :)
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

What should I do then, rename the thread to "post your updated versions of original tracks here" ? The original idea of this project was the same as the projects that were done >5 years ago, to "replace" the old original trackpacks with higher quality community-made versions. I decided in the start that if we have 1 new version of each track, which we do now, we could start the voting. I gave some time to people to finish their WIPs, and also expanded the timeframe. (to 16th Sep) Everyone should have enough time to finish their tracks now, and I think that if we give over a month, it wouldn't be an abrupt end. This project has been going on for 2 years, it's now ready to be finished, and there has been next to no progress as of late. Is there really a need to keep it going? I don't think it's impatience, it's more like trying to reach the goals of the project.
Trigger Happy wrote:Also it would be very nice to hear reasons, why Akesi wants to change the rules of the voting, because there's no word about why in the post above, it's like to change game rules during halftime of a match. :scratch:
Of course voting is fine by me as well, but I thought that we probably wouldn't get many votes anyway, and choosing with a panel of judge(s) would be much less effort. Most of the tracks have a version that is significantly better than the others, so aside from few tracks voting would be basically useless.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Well, Aleksi, you're quite right, but you're forgetting, that you didn't show yourself in the project for a year or so. No motivating people to submit something, no bumping, no reminding or whatever, what would be facing to what you call ''near no progress'' and now suddenly appear and call an end. That's the issue. And you know well, that in trackmaking 10-14 days is nothing, each of us has several wips, does progress here and there, meanwhile leave a thing to settle down etc and check it later and see, if it still works after the time or thing was blind way. And especially if it's 10-14 days during the summer, when people are leaving homes with this stuff even for few weeks and generally tend to do more interesting things than sitting in front of a screen. So yes, I think it's very abrupt end and you're not giving enough time with the current deadline, some little bit more would be more helpful. :shrug:

And I certainly disagree, that this would have near no progress, in July 2 submissions, what do you want for calling it a a ''progress''? I think wise project leader would rather use this opportunity for trying to help to the project to catch a fresh breath than trying to shot it down. This rather seems like that you're currently interested in this project like always lately - not at all - and just want to close it quickly to get rid off a your trouble. :roll: Sorry, it's harsh, but that's really the impression it does on me. :shrug:

Edited.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Trigger Happy wrote:Well, Aleksi, you're quite right, but you're forgetting, that you didn't show yourself in the project for a year or so. No motivating people to submit something, no bumping, no reminding or whatever, what would be facing to what you call ''near no progress'' and now suddenly appear and call an end. That's the issue.
It's very true but actually I'm not forgetting it. Like I said earlier, I know I've been a bad project leader, although I feel that this project is more ran by the community instead of a single person.
Trigger Happy wrote:And you know well, that in trackmaking 10-14 days is nothing, each of us has several wips, does progress here and there, meanwhile leave a thing to settle down etc and check it later and see, if it still works after the time or thing was blind way. And especially if it's 10-14 days during the summer, when people are leaving homes with this stuff even for few weeks and generally tend to do more interesting things than sitting in front of a screen. So yes, I think it's very abrupt end and you're not giving enough time with the current deadline, some little bit more would be more helpful. :shrug:
It's strange, that you initially suggested to set the deadline to end of August, back then it was over 2 weeks. People said that it's not enough so I delayed the deadline by 3 weeks. Now you say that twice as long time span as the one you suggested isn't enough. A month is surely enough for everyone to finish a track if they want to get it done.
Trigger Happy wrote:And I certainly disagree, that this would have near no progress, in July 2 submissions, what do you want for calling it a a ''progress''? I think wise project leader would rather use this opportunity for trying to help to the project to catch a fresh breath than trying to shot it down.
I didn't check the facts, but I would assume that in the last ½ year the amount of new tracks is similar to what we got in a single week in the start of the project.
Trigger Happy wrote:This rather seems like that you're currently interested in this project like always lately - not at all - and just want to close it quickly to get rid off a your trouble. :roll: Sorry, it's harsh, but that's really the impression it does on me. :shrug:
It's partly true, but in all seriousness, what is the point of continuing the project? We have reached the initial goals of the project and given everyone enough time to finish their WIPs. If people want it, it's fine by me that we keep the project going on for another 2 years or until the end of the world, but I'd rather not delay it because I see no reasons against it.
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

After reading all these comments... what is the main problem after all? 2 years have passed, and, agreeing with Ivo here, there wasn't much motivation to keep this project alive, and now agreeing with Aleksi, it was a community ran project, there was little progress, and now still dont looks finished, so i suggest conclude the 2010 Project ASAP and launch to OTUP 2013, people still can finish their WIPs later and post in the 2013 project, i just want now to progress a lot faster so we can finish in the end of 2013 :shrug:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

AleksiNir wrote:It's strange, that you initially suggested to set the deadline to end of August, back then it was over 2 weeks. People said that it's not enough so I delayed the deadline by 3 weeks. Now you say that twice as long time span as the one you suggested isn't enough. A month is surely enough for everyone to finish a track if they want to get it done.
You're trying to bend the facts, Aleksi. I talked about ''e.g. end of August'' in very first reaction, when you started talking about this ending. And also I appreciated later the XYY reminder of the current year period, which neither I did take in consideration at very first moment, so I don't know, why my mentioning of August earlier and later asking for more should be anyhow strange. ;)
AleksiNir wrote:It's partly true, but in all seriousness, what is the point of continuing the project? We have reached the initial goals of the project and given everyone enough time to finish their WIPs.
Partly truth? In that case it's bit clear, why continuing of the project looks pretty pointless to you, if you have very low interest about it. :worried: However, Aleksi, I'm not arguing with you if to end it or not. ;) But only about the giving to XYY, Dan and me, who openly posted here about still working on something (not sure, if anybody else does or considers any last minute try ATM), enough time to complete the WIPs. Basically IMHO ideally it should be enough long to book and complete the track, which the 26th August wasn't at all. But when I was reading this your reply, the sentence about delaying deadline stroke in my eyes, so I checked the earlier posts and now see, that 3 days later you moved it without any sort of warning or note on 16th September, which sounds much more suitable. :up:
AleksiNir wrote:I didn't check the facts, but I would assume that in the last ½ year the amount of new tracks is similar to what we got in a single week in the start of the project.
It's indeed possible, but after those long 2 years and with no direction and pushing from your or any other side (just left on people's choice), I think even that many tracks is quite good demonstration, that here's still some common interest among trackmakers to work on these updates.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Just in case someone wants to make it too, I'm going to reserve Japan. It's almost finished already :shhh:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

The deadline is a week away now. :)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I made Tachren :).
Attachments
Tachren MDan.zip
(76.83 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
tachren.png
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Great remake of this track, Dan. :bg: Compared to the original version, yours look far more interesting :bsmile:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Certainly not a bad track, but in my eyes it's a bit too much changed from the original - very changing track width and huge office block were key elements of the old one (in my eyes at least). :)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I used to hate the changing width :D. And there is office block, just not that big because it wouldn't fit into that space :D.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Just in case, I'm going to reserve a Wigeno, although I'm not sure if I'll finish it at all. :doh:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I am making Xupong which I had booked 12th May (not sure what year :rofl: ).
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

And it's finished :). I think it is good one, I liked making it and maybe you'll like it too :D.

Xupong

Rallycross track around a pond - a part of bigger racing circuit, neighbourhoding a village.
Thanks to Trigger Happy for testing and useful advices :).
ECxupong.PNG
Xupong Dan.png
Xupong MDan.zip
(67.96 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Last edited by Mad Dan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Yeah, I really, really like it. :bsmile: Only some AI insanity occurs as an AI vehicle got into a melee and then being stuck between the bridge and the stands. :eyes: :mrgreen:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Reuploaded because of wrong PoV :D. I uploaded eyecandy version earlier :doh:.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Nice tracks, Dan :bg:

Please have your tracks finished by the end of this day.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

May I ask, end of this day according which time zone, please? :hide: I'm starting work on AI lines and would like every minute available to its test. :)

And I agree, well done, Dan! :bg: Now I also cannot wait to see the XYY's Japan, BBA did great one, what a brave challenge. :yummy:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I'll be happy as long as you post it before you go to sleep, but if you want a deadline, let's say GMT 0 :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Trigger Happy wrote:Now I also cannot wait to see the XYY's Japan, BBA did great one, what a brave challenge. :yummy:
It's rather an alternative and more generallyish version of the track then a real competitor to the BBA's track... :geek: I just wanted to make the track because I like it. :bsmile:
I guess/hope I'll post my track way before the deadline. But first homework... :doh:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

[tpk] [cir] Japan & Wigeno 2012

Post by XYY »

Double post :P

Finally, I'm able to release my Japan :) ! And it doesn't come along, but in a trackpack with Wigeno :bsmile:
Okay, so some info about the tracks:

Japan was started in March 2012 and slumbered on my HDD for quite a while. I don't even know the exact reason anymore why I didn't just continue it and release it back then... :shrug:
The layout has been changed a bit, especially the first and last corner's shapes are a bit different from the original, but the driving experience shouldn't be too far off the original track. I slightly increased the world size, not to stretch the track in general, but to get more space around the track because the original track ran very close to the concrete borders. I even managed to keep 4 bushes and one booth from the original track, and the AI line is just as long as the original... :cool2:
Thanks to HJ and Mad Dan to test this track! :bg:

Wigeno was started by Mad Dan somewhere in 2010. 1 week ago I asked him if it still existed, and he sent me the track. Although it needed a lot of polishing and wasn't probably half finished, I decided to continue working on it, and both Dan and I are satisfied with the result. Unfortunately I had some problems with the scenery, so there's a lot of forest around the track... :roll:
We hope you also enjoy this track a lot, so please comment. ;)

And when will the next OTUP be launched? :yummy:
Attachments
wigeno_grif.png
japan_2012_grif.png
Japan & Wigeno 2012.zip
(183.21 KiB) Downloaded 691 times