Car Ideas, W.I.P. and Teasers/Trailers

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Car Ideas, W.I.P. and Teasers/Trailers

Post by Mad Dan »

Lovely :) can't wait to try them out.
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Another TCR cars:

Above from the left:
-Fiat Tipo
-Kia Cee'd GT
-Lada Vesta

Below:
-Opel Astra
-Peugeot 308
Attachments
touring_cars_2.png
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

The one in the middle is not even close to KIA - the iconic Tiger grille

Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
puttz

Post by puttz »

You try making that with limited polies. Sure it could be better but not by much. :roll:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

puttz wrote:You try making that with limited polies. Sure it could be better but not by much. :roll:
Yes, it is possible - abeit with the upper and lower part being straight hexagon (like the Tipo and Vesta). The Hyundai has similar grille.

Also, on the screenshot the Tipo seems to have the hatchback form. Well actually from what I saw on TouringCarTime the Tipo TCR is a saloon. But that's minor issue

EDIT: The second car (on the top row) might not be KIA though, but VW Golf. It looks more like a Golf.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

puttz wrote:You try making that with limited polies. Sure it could be better but not by much. :roll:
This is known problem and I'm really trying to use this limit the best way I can. But sometimes it doesn't look very good.
ivaneurope wrote:Also, on the screenshot the Tipo seems to have the hatchback form. Well actually from what I saw on TouringCarTime the Tipo TCR is a saloon. But that's minor issue
Fiat made some tests with Tipo for TCR specs, so I decided to include it. Also, I was wondering if it should be sedan or hatchback.
Lambda Motosports

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Two vertices could be easily saved by simplifying the rear wing (btw. really I don't see any reason to throw 4 vertices for rear wing, it doesn't look that much better in game and hampers modelling possibilities quite badly). Then you'd have 6 more vertices, just enough to make a grille - surely the inevitable lack of polies will arise at some point, but I'm facing the same problem with almost every car and there is always some solution.

The funny aspect of carmaking is that seemingly difficult cars with sophisticated lines and roundnesses are sometimes much easier to model than hatchbacks and other inconspicious, ordinary cars...
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Formula Futbol will be back and this time with a bespoke car created by me which is inspired by the F1 2017 cars
Attachments
SideBlueprint.PNG
2222.PNG
2222.PNG (11.17 KiB) Viewed 22339 times
Savage_Jay

Post by Savage_Jay »

Can I give some ideas or is it just a topic for discussing the process ?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I am trying to make a carpack for Dakar Rally. Currently I have Mini JCW, Toyota Hilux, Ford Raptor and Buggyra Tatra truck which needs something to be done to it :D
Real rally starts in January so I probably can make it until then.

:rally:
Attachments
dakarrally.png
Marco

Post by Marco »

@Mad Dan
Looks good. How many cars are you planning to include :scratch: ?
Tried to make a pack myself a few years ago, but ended up scraping it :kickcan: .
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I've got 8 trucks and 4 cars right now. I'll probably make 6 cars for GR variety, all from 2019 entrylist :)
Kamaz - MAZ - Iveco - Liaz - Renault - Tatra - Tatra Buggyra
Ford Raptor - Mini JCW - Mini Buggy - Toyota Hilux - Peugeot 3008 - Gordon Buggy
Everything is WIP as my carmaking has gone rusty and I forgot most of the tricks :D
dakar.gif
dakar cars.gif
Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Nice list! Looks like you are inspired by these 8 7 trucks :nod:
Marco wrote: Tried to make a pack myself a few years ago, but ended up scraping it :kickcan: .
Me too, I've still got the sketches..I completed only the first version of the 2008 DKR...it's 4 years ago actually...
Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Working for 2019... :santa:
2019WORKING.jpg
...to be released in mid-January... :stir:
Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Release postponed after the end of GRPL WRC S13
2019Season.png
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Hey everyone!
I have got a quick question for you:

What do these cars look like?

Thanks!
Attachments
Guess-the-Car800px.gif
Guess-the-Car800px.gif (8.96 KiB) Viewed 20199 times
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Mercedes SLS?
Lambda Motosports

RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Actually, it must have started as an MX-5 convertible model long long ago. But when I found it today, I did remind me of an AMG GTS/R as well... So I changed the grill and lifted its bottom a bit and turned it into the new PGR F1 Safety Car.

I wouldn't really call it a Merc (I get some Audi, Japanese sportscar vibes), but it's good to see that my initial impression wasn't completely off.
Attachments
SafetyCar.png
SafetyCar.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 20189 times
UTF8

Post by UTF8 »

This is a late reply, but hey, cool little safety car! I also thought of a Mercedes AMG-GT when I saw it.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be finishing a track, but I got distracted and made a car, which I'm declaring 90% done (model-wise). Pictured below is the first GeneRally car I've ever made, and also the first 3D model I've ever made :hyper:

It's a recreation of the Bruiser car from San Francisco Rush 2049. I think it looks ok for my first attempt ever, but unfortunately I ran out of vertices for extra details, so areas like the windshield/roof parts and the back-end look rough. I still have 3 polygons left, so maybe I can improve the windshield/roof area. This car is also still using the Formula's physics as a default base, so before I release this, I have to figure out how to create car physics. I'm also having an issue with the car's shadow flickering oddly, and the car's polygons also draw over each other in strange ways. Does anyone know why those issues happen? It's hard to make a car :yawn:
Attachments
Bruiser from Rush 2049 (above) and my GeneRally recreation (below)
Bruiser from Rush 2049 (above) and my GeneRally recreation (below)
ʕ´ᵔᴥᵔ`ʔづ
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello UTF8 ! :)

You are courageous to create a car in GeneRally, I find it pretty hard to do too. But your first effort is visually good-looking ! :bg: (one of the front headlights may be misplaced but I can be wrong)

The only thing I can help you is on physics, as there is a very good tutorial about it by Haruna, here's the link :

http://forum.generally-racers.com/viewt ... ?f=9&t=302

Additionally, you may check what Lorenzo, a car master said about car physics in "The Garage" thread in Cars, page 2 last post :

http://forum.generally-racers.com/viewt ... 7&start=25

After for problems with shadows and polys, I don't know much about all this, sorry. :shy:

Eager to see your first track when you release it though ! :)

(I love your fat Yoshi avatar :P )

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
UTF8

Post by UTF8 »

Kikwik wrote:Hello UTF8 ! :) (rest of the post)
Hello! And thanks for your reply! I tried my best to make the car recognizable from the original. I'd be interested to make the rest of Rush 2049's cars. It's an old game, so a lot of its 3D models are boxy: There's a boxy truck, boxy GT car, and a wedge-shaped sports car that I'd like to recreate soon. Unless I'm underestimating the difficulty of the boxy cars, I think I will have more trouble with the rounder cars. Here's a list of the game's cars if you're curious. Also, you were right that one of the headlights was a little crooked, which I fixed. Good eye.

I managed to figure out how to fix the flickering shadows too. For anyone else who might stumble upon this post, this is the solution: To fix your car's shadow from glitching out, place your wheels correctly. Yes, it's that simple! I found the name of the wheels slightly confusing at first, but it's supposed to be from the driver's perspective. So that means when viewing the car from the 2D top view, the "left" wheels are to be placed on the right side, and the "right" goes on the left side. I made a tiny diagram for it below.

As for physics, I've been trying to make the car feel like the original Rush 2049 game: The game's cars understeer a bit and have a somewhat wide turning radius, but you can slide around if you try hard enough. You can also lose grip by constantly turning left and right, but I don't know if that's possible in GeneRally. I think the tuning on some of the [gtc] cars is kinda close to what I want.

Unfortunately, my PC decided to stop working two days ago, so I haven't had much work done in GeneRally recently... I hope I can get my computer working again, but worst case scenario would be that I'd be forced to borrow a laptop and use an uncomfortable touchpad. (I have my GeneRally stuff backed up).
Attachments
I don't know if anyone will find this useful but here it is lol
I don't know if anyone will find this useful but here it is lol
2DCarViewWheels.png (7.62 KiB) Viewed 17260 times
ʕ´ᵔᴥᵔ`ʔづ
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I think your car is lacking some foundation, it looks like it's floating - if I was making it, the first thing I'd do at this stage was to get rid of those 2 pairs of vertices marked with 1 and 2 and put them to good use at the bottom (green dots). It will help you lift the back and the front so the car looks more muscular (at the expense of some details). You can watch how I made 3 muscle cars from my The Garage carpack (Dodge Challenger, Coronet Super Bee and Plymouth Superbird) to look how could it look like.
That fancy thing on the hood doesn't look very convincing when flattened, let's expand it into third dimension.
Attachments
ascii.png
UTF8

Post by UTF8 »

Lorenzo wrote:I think your car is lacking some foundation, it looks like it's floating - if I was making it, the first thing I'd do at this stage was to get rid of those 2 pairs of vertices marked with 1 and 2 and put them to good use at the bottom (green dots). It will help you lift the back and the front so the car looks more muscular (at the expense of some details). You can watch how I made 3 muscle cars from my The Garage carpack (Dodge Challenger, Coronet Super Bee and Plymouth Superbird) to look how could it look like.
That fancy thing on the hood doesn't look very convincing when flattened, let's expand it into third dimension.
Hey, thanks for the feedback! :)

I would agree that the car currently does not look "muscular", which I think is a good way to put it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the overall bodywork ended up looking too straight-lined, and something doesn't look quite right on the back-half, so it ends up looking more like a long-ish sedan than a muscle car. If you compare the rear window of the original model and my model, it's designed in a way that makes the trunk look a little fatter, which I think contributes to a muscle car feel. Wikipedia calls it the C-pillar of a car. I can't guarantee I'll have enough vertices/polys for this detail, but I'll try. Also, I originally had extra polygons on the fancy hood thing (I think it's a big engine sticking out), but I had to delete them so I could get more vertices. Your idea with placing a black triangle looks good though, so I'll see if I can spare an extra vertex.

Anyway, I'll continue playing around with this model when I have the free time, and I'll post another update when I've made more Rush 2049 cars. Currently, I'm busy with schoolwork, and I'm also dealing with fixing a broken computer. I hope I can get back to GeneRally soon. I just started making stuff for it, and I suddenly don't have the free time :scared:
ʕ´ᵔᴥᵔ`ʔづ
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

Trying my hand at car making once again.
Here's a preview of my Dallara SF19:
Attachments
sf192.jpg
sf192.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 14525 times
Rebellion765
Formerly known as IndyCARman and Shifted.
Latest track: Lake Koenig | Latest car: Dallara SF19
Steam profile | I post about Ridge Racer at Lucid Rhythms
AndyJoe72

Post by AndyJoe72 »

I love the car models that are here.I'll most mine soon.