Car of the Month - Discussion topic

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Car of the Month - Discussion topic

Post by Lukeno94 »

Guess what you haven't created yet... :P
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

How long until CoY 2012 starts?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Guess what you haven't created yet again :p
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Umm. Let me think. :rofl:
puttz

Post by puttz »

*cough* Guess what else needs to be done :shhh:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

You mean CoY 2012? Well, I could try to do it in cooperation with Crono, but I'm not sure if it will there will be a lot encouragement... ;)

The start of voting period at least will be on 7th/8th of this month :P
Marco

Post by Marco »

XYY you made an error in the CoM July/August. WRC & WRC 2 2013 was made by AeroWiewiur no by me
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks for the note. I just fixed it :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

It's time to discuss something. In the last CoM (March/April 2014) Ivo casted two votes for cars which weren't nominated beforehand. This time I counted his votes, because he didn't knew it (and I couldn't find anything about it in the rules, honestly :P ). What do you think about it:
Should it be possible to vote for cars which haven't been nominated before?
Pro:[list]
[*]Cars which were forgotten can still recieve votes
[*]You don't have to care so much that all the cars you want to vote for are actually nominated[/list]
Contra:[list]
[*]More work for me while doing the results - considering that I have to upload the cars and pictures - for me it's easier to do it all at once (when the nomination period closes
[*]Cars which have much potential for :com: could be overlooked (just imagine what would have happened if I didn't write a word about F-Zero cars - I guess they would have gotten much less votes
[*]What is the nomination period for if you have the choice to nominate your car anyway?[/list]
For me it's clear which is better but I want to hear your opinions. ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Well, I did same like ToM voting works for more than decade, because I assumed the rules in this point are same. BTW there in ToM are no troubles e.g. with nominations either, no fear of any in case of CoM.

And when I read the CoM rules now, they say:
All car(pack)s that fit the criteria for nomination stated above in 1a and 1b is eligible for election, and vice versa: car(pack)s that do not fit nomination criteria are not eligible for election.
Which is basically copied rule of ToM, so IMHO for sure I could vote any car regardless if it was or wasn't nominated - car is electable, if fits nominations criteria, not if is actually nominated. So there's not even a need to update rules to allow it. :-)
puttz

Post by puttz »

XYY, just noticed that you have the Jan/Feb CoM winner's car pictures on the sidebar instead of the Mar/Apr winners.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks for the note, puttz. It's fixed now :bg:
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

@XYY: It's a long time since the CoM voting deadline. Soooo, results now? :sweatdrop:
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

RobertRacer, you are absolutely right. I should have made the results loong ago already. And you know what? It took me only a bit more than half an hour to make the results this time. But it's a good opportunity to say something I have on my mind for a bit longer...

It seems I've come to a point where I no longer have the required motivation for this project, I miss the spirit and I don't have revolutionary ideas anymore. :ouch: Car of the Month exists for about five years now and we have seen many great cars made and awarded in that time. I started together with A1 Aaron, then I had Herbal as a partner, later on Lukeno94. For about three years now, I keep things ticking over alone, but unfortunately I don't think I can continue for a long time. :roll:

I think the main reasons for this are the following ones:

There is no progress/evolution of CoM

This is the thing on which I have most influence, as I am the one who makes changes. And it's also a thing which I missed to push forward in the right time. I remember essentially one good idea which wasn't realised; there was the proposal that there is a "counter" at the top of the forum which shows the progress of CoM and ToM voting periods. I could imagine that it indicates if you have voted yet or announces the end of the period if you haven't.
AFAIR there wasn't enough support from the staff and also no consensus on this idea so it wasn't realised.

I got other proposals as well, but none of which blew my mind. Lately someone suggested to reduce the number of votes to three for periods with less than eight nominated cars. That's something to discuss, for sure, but it won't be a change which will have huge impact. :meditate:

Maybe someone else has good ideas as well, so feel free to post them. :) I also remember the discussion if we will make a CoY, is there any interest at all?

The number of cars per two months is very low

I don't really have any influence on this, but I think it's a problem for CoM because where is the point of voting for the best car in a month if there are only three to choose from? I think CoM should be a comprehensive collection of quality cars (which it is in my opinion), but it's not a big difference if I upload these cars without votes or if four cars get the same number of votes (as it happened in March/April). :shrug:

The interest seems to be very low

I noticed that there are always the same people voting for CoM, sometimes more, sometimes less. But unlike ToM, CoM doesn't seem to attract so many (new?) voters. And it's a problem, because if I don't enjoy doing the stuff for myself (which I described earlier) and I don't get any positive reactions, it's an even bigger struggle to motivate myself. :worried:

I want to say thank you, if you read until here. This is not meant to be a good-bye to CoM, but I think something has to change, else :com: will slowly die. If someone else is motivated and wants to take over the lead in :com: , I'll happily instruct him and share all my tips and experiences with him. :)

Best regards, XYY
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

I think a countdown for the voting periods would be very helpful, not just for Car of the Month but Track of the Month. The sticky threads don't receive a lot of activity for some damn fool reason.

I agree that having 5 votes is worthless considering the amount of cars released per two months. I think that a two-vote limit for new Car of the Month events would make the votes a lot more meaningful and avoid multiple-way ties.

What doesn't help is that there are few tutorials which really go in-depth with car making, so it becomes a situation where those who already know how to use the tools are the only ones who can post stuff for Car of the Month voters. Car makers are now very few and very far between, which is the reality of the situation.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Buka

Post by Buka »

I surely can understand your frustration, XYY, because I'm in the same position with ToM. In the past I'd easily got 25+ votes per month and now it's only 15+ in better case, which is very demotivating. But I don't think that it's the reason to close ToM, neither I think we should close CoM.

What can help - and I've told that already a few times - is put voting process on the top of the forum. We should make some sort of special buttons which would lead directly to CoM and ToM nominee pages. Also championship's advertisment could be made in the same way, BTW. For example, here is how it have been done by the simracing forum I visit:
ACM

Post by ACM »

Carmaking activity is low because overall activity is low; all community projects right now are suffering, and the carmaking scene has always had a backburner presence compared to trackmaking. I already posted the theory of why this is if you want to read it here. This is not something you can fix by just tinkering with the function of CoM or pushing out more carmaking tutorials (because what is already there is just fine), and at the rate overall GeneRally activity is going, converting more of the existing playerbase into carmakers is effectively a temporary pressure release at best.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I agree with Buka, I wrote simmilar suggestion in ToM discussion few years ago, make some advertising for the stuff that goes on :).
I know the style of this forum was aimed to be minimalistic but maybe the times have changed and we should promote things that happen in the community.
Why don't we, possibly for some evaluation time, just don't try something like that? :)
What would be the problem? Is it difficult to put it into whatever system this webpage is written in? I suppose there are talented people from planetgenerally.de or GRPL who would know how to do that.

Maybe let's make it 3 votes and elections each 6 months. I think we should keep CoM as a thing, though the name wouldn't fit :D maybe as Car of the Months.
I have always tried to vote in both elections, even though I don't contribute to carmaking or trackmaking anymore (which will change in summer hopefully :goodvibes: ).
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Just my :2c: about that:
XYY wrote:(...)
The number of cars per two months is very low
(...)
On GRPL we're making our Car of the Month editions (Car of Quarter - CoQ) after every 3 months (e.g. CoQ I - January-March, CoQ II - April-June, etc.) and because of the low number of works (sometimes we had 3-4 cars during 3 months in GRPL), I decided to switch "voting system" into "point voting system" - we're voting for our 3 favourite cars/carpacks by giving them 3, 2 or 1 point.

It's only how it works on GRPL - GRIF have its own rules about that.
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

The current GR community is getting older and have other activities in their personal lifes. Even the competitions are having poor attendence - it'd be miracle if GR TouringCup now has more than 5-6 drivers per round.

The problem is that there are very few newcommers while others distance themselves from trackmaking or carmaking. My carsets in GRIF are based on other's works (with endorsement from the original author of course) and I've never made my own original car. I've abstained from trackmaking since my only track (I don't count the JEA tracks in which I have taken part as my own) received very poor reviews.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

In case of tracks and cars I 100% agree with ACM, in past several tries had been done to run something like CoM, which had failed because carmaking is least popular (and understandable) of GR arts, so if something bad would happen with community, currect CoM was always likely to suffer among first by that. If there were near dozen of votes in CoM and around 30 ToM with identical promo layout here on forum like now, the layout isn't guilty for the current votes decrease. Let's remind votes in ToM decreased after firstly amount and quality of electable tracks were decreasing repeatedly for several months (not to mention we were in ToM a bit late with results/nominees threads etc too, neither this helps :taped: ). So the issue to solve (if actually possible) is amount of decent tracks and cars at first place, not of election votes. If to promote something somehow, then :gr: , not some elections.

Sidenote about compo advertisements - contrary to projects, which have a clear community-wide importance (GWR, CoM etc. with icons in top-right of page) there's a some sort of competition between competitions (to attract drivers) and in this environment our forum is strictly neutral - provides equal space (thread) to each - no favouring of some compo over others. Some announcements of a start of every each compo I can imagine, not ads in favour of some selected of them. Another situation is, when a forum/community site itself (the entity) chooses which compos/events it organizes strictly on its own (and guarantees they work, are fairly ruled etc) like PLGR compos are done, then naturally the events can be advertised by such forum easily in its layout and so one, don't confuse such cases with GRIF, please.
Marco

Post by Marco »

There are plenty of old and new users in this forum, but the problem with most new users is that they aren't interested what's going on in here, they're only want to download tracks and cars. I know this because I registered for the same reason, only later I got truly involved in this forum. I agree with Buka and Mad Dan that we could advertise the stuff that we do here.

Other than that we can always increase CoM to 3 months instead of 2 (But maybe thats only the last resort :worried: ). And maybe XYY could make voting period longer (but I'm not sure if that would help :ouch: )
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

So the next CoM voting should start in about a week. First of all I would like to say thanks to those who actually wrote something here. But unfortunately, I don't really see many new possibilities for CoM.
Yes, the interest in GR seems to be low these days. That's something we can't rationalise away.
We could make the votings a bit more exciting if I reduce the amount of votes to two or three votes.
I feel that the staff isn't very keen of implementing a new sort of banner/buttons at the top of the forum which inform about the current state of :com: and :tom:

Maybe I should ask the question differently - who would be sad if CoM wasn't continued? :ouch: Or is there maybe an aspirant for continuing this project? :shy:
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

IMO nominations is not necessary.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

When will be voting for May/June and (unnecessary) nominations Jul/Aug?
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6