Car Variations Editor?

Useful programs to help you create stuff for GeneRally.
Aeon
GeneRally Trackmaster

Car Variations Editor?

Post by Aeon »

Years ago when I was toying with my own Advance car concept (which sadly never made it online for me to be able to download it again, see my avatar), I had a base car and I built a javascript editor that allowed me to tweak the values of the car so that there would be subtle variations between racing teams. For instance, one car might have a higher top speed, while another had more downforce or stronger cornering. I made a lot of effort to balance these stats along the lines of a zero-sum rule, so that you couldn't make one car inherently better than the others, and every advantage carried an equal disadvantage. This made the competitions between teams much more interesting to watch as you never knew which cars would have the advantage on a specific track. Some teams did better on tracks with straightaways, while others could handle the curves and still others the altitude changes.

I haven't seen anything like that posted anywhere, but I haven't made a thorough search either. I haven't even seen anything along the lines of a formula car with variations of the statistics for more variety. Has anyone created something like this and posted it online?

I just like watching the AI race against other AI, but its more fun when they have something to work with besides a linear AI driver skill number.
Aeon's Advance Series Tracks
You can do whatever you want with my tracks, just give me credit please. (I like to check in once in a while and see if anyone is doing anything interesting with my stuff!)