SnakeDitor: Snake your tracks

Useful programs to help you create stuff for GeneRally.
numanair

Re: SnakeDitor: Snake your tracks

Post by numanair »

curveo wrote:Oh I didn't recognize windows Vista
For my part, I use the very windows XP :)
I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that I use win vista (it was a different person with the screenshots of win7). I tested it on my pc w/ win XP, and it was still an issue. So it looks like it affects XP, Vista and win7. Maybe I'm missing some sort of .net framework or something? Moving the taskbar to the side after launching SnakeDitor is the only workaround I've found so far.
Thanks for all your time and effort you've put into SnakeDitor. I really appreciate it!
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

There are 2 issues:
- if your screen is too small, the left area is not fully displayed, and there is no way to use the buttons under the bottom of the screen. This issue should be found on all of the versions of windows. I have been adding a scrollbar.
- the left area that contains all the buttons is put outside of the application. I feel, this should only happen with Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This is not your configuration that is wrong. I saw in the windows documentation that some functions were modified between Windows XP and the newer versions. So I will try a workaround (in my code), but I will need help to check if the issue is solved. If you have this issue with XP, it would be great to give me details to reproduce it.

Thanks too for using SD. I am pleased to improve it when I see that some guys use it, but I can't work on it all the time. At the moment, I can :)
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

hi all,

it is time for the new delivery. Thanks to be patient.
  • The main improvment is the compliance with the new version of GeneRally.
    If you use at least one object introduced by GeneRally 1.10, then the TRK file will be versionned '1.10'
    If you use only old objects, the TRK file will be versionned 1.05, and you will be able to load this track in software that complies with the version 1.05 of GeneRally.
  • I have added scrollbars when the screen is too small. I hope that my modifications solve the issues encountered with Vista or Win7 (see previous posts), but I can't test it.
  • mousewheel: I reverse the direction
  • I have improve the symbolic display of several objects. For example, a sunk tyre is now displayed as a rectangle to show the orientation. The house is displayed with another line to show the entrance:
    new symbol to display a house
    new symbol to display a house
    house sample.gif (424 Bytes) Viewed 11403 times
  • I worked to get more precise object positionning, used for example when generating lines of 'concrete wall'
  • I rewrite the functions used to display the strips (kerbs, blank lines, etc...). The native Windows functions didn't work like I wanted. For example, a line width of 1 was not really possible before. So I write my own functions. Mine are slower, so I continue using native Windows functions for screen display. When the land map is to be exported in a TRK file, I use my functions. See the differences in the images below:
    Screen display obtained with native Windows functions (fast but not precise enough)
    Screen display obtained with native Windows functions (fast but not precise enough)
    screen display.gif (1.18 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
    The same image computed with my functions, and exported in the TRK file (slower but better quality)
    The same image computed with my functions, and exported in the TRK file (slower but better quality)
    TRK image.gif (743 Bytes) Viewed 11403 times
    Sometimes, some pixels will be not displayed correctly, but it is much more better than before. Manual corrections should be made, in GIMP for example.
  • improvment of mouse selection
  • several bug corrections
I have been preparing a tutorial on how making AI lines: it should be quick and easy. And I will write another tutorial on how using styles. This will be a little complex. Then after that, I will write another one on the objects.
I feel that, with this effort, SnakeDitor will be easier to be used.

I am waiting for your remarks and comments
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

You are a myth man... This is one of the greatest tools in all time...
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

felipebart wrote:You are a myth man... This is one of the greatest tools in all time...
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I must also say that I really like this update. Now I don't need to spend half an hour before the lines are smooth ;)
Good work, curveo.
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

XYY wrote:I must also say that I really like this update. Now I don't need to spend half an hour before the lines are smooth ;)
Good work, curveo.
thanks
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

BUG: When i draw a line it appears 1px wider.
numanair

Post by numanair »

The MNZ wrote:BUG: When i draw a line it appears 1px wider.
I think that's because it uses the windows method to render lines in the program and the other method for export.
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

numanair wrote:I think that's because it uses the windows method to render lines in the program and the other method for export.
You should be right.

MNZ: to check if there is really an issue, you should copy the land map in the clipboard (CTRL+C), and paste it in a graphic editor (GIMP). You should see the real render.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I also found out another little bug: When I want to load a "working background image", it doesn't appear! Not really a big problem because the "initial background" works, but still something you might fix for the next release :D
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

Normally it should work.
Can you check that the associated button is pushed?
bk_button.PNG
bk_button.PNG (3.59 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
Perhaps, I could improve the load feature by pushing the button it automatically.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

:doh: :doh: what a fail :D
But you could still fix the visibility of lines, because the "quick" method shows them all 1px too big. Maybe it's possible to make them 1px smaller in preview, but in final track 1px bigger, so that it fits to your code :scratch:
And I also like that you now see the objects finer when you zoom :bg:
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

XYY wrote::doh: :doh: what a fail
:bsmile:

I'm sorry but I can't improve the quick display because I use Windows native functions.
it's nice to get positive feedback :D
enjoy
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I still spot another issue:
When I wanted to make circuits in former times, they were always made in odd pixel numbers (width of the track).
Now it's always made in even numbers, very bad for street tracks where you need to put a centered 1px middle line :D
I know I could make it with a style strip, but that's very complex... ;) Maybe you could fix that :roll:
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

you are right: i will have a look at this bug
(i feel that even with a style strip, you could get the issue)
chicken

Post by chicken »

this is my most hated track editior, you cant even delete the default track off from the screen.
Need someone to help with making Pikes Peak Hill Climb Hmap.
process making GT2 rally tracks
1.retrieve map,scenery,checkpoints.2.post pic of map on WIP topic.3.Build tracks.4.test tracks.5.UPLOAD!
programs to be used:ePSXe 1.7.0 (check), 24 hr download of GT2 arcade .iso (check), paint/paint.net/GIMP (check/x/check), track editor (check), generally (check).btw, i have my own PSX.I would post in tiny, but thats too tiny
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

chicken wrote:this is my most hated track editior, you cant even delete the default track off from the screen.
perhaps you need a little more training to understand how it works.

You can erase the default track with the "new" feature. It will put an oval, that is the beginning of a new track. Deleting this oval makes no sense. You just have to add new parts (circular arc or lines).

I hope you will find your ideal tool.
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

XYY wrote:Maybe you could fix that :roll:
Hi,
you were right
I just have delivered a new version to solve that:
- the quality was improved
- I solved an issue around strip selection
- I add another button to check the final display, even if it is slow:
Display buttons
Display buttons
buttons.PNG (1.47 KiB) Viewed 11098 times
- The first button has the same behavior than before
- The second button displays the track with the fastest method (native window functions)
- The third button display the track with the full quality: this mode can be used to check the real display, but it could be hard to work in that mode because it should be very slow.

enjoy
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

How do you entirely clear the demo track and create your own from scratch?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

On top left in menu is button ''new track'' or so. Press it and it will start new thing with deleting the demo - just new clean basic oval (2 curves, 2 straights) will appear.
Niko K

Post by Niko K »

Fantastic job on the fixes featured in 1.32 & 1.33, absolutely fantastic, thanks curveo!
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

SnakeDitor is amazing help for making tracks. Tahnk you very much curveo!
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
curveo
GeneRally Wizard

Post by curveo »

you are welcome
it was a pleasure for me to develop it
PacmanOwnage

Post by PacmanOwnage »

Just a little something for new peoples to Snakeditor, you can unlink the pit road, giving you a completely basic canvas to work with, then just move the oval off of the screen. It gives you a straight that you can build a track from scratch with.

It's what I do when if I want to add a little complex part to a track, as using the pre-determined oval is a hassle, but it works just as well when starting a whole new track :bsmile:

...Has this been posted before? :shhh:

Still, great tool Curveo