Font Tutorial by Jwong

Improve your skills by learning the tricks of experienced members!
JWong

Font Tutorial by Jwong

Post by JWong »

Here's a little tutorial on how to edit the font in your Generally game. In case things go wrong, i would advise backing up or just have an unedited copy of the file.

I recommend the program "GraphicsGale" which can be obtained here.
You can use a different program of your choice e.g. MS Paint, GIMP, etc.

Step 1:
Open Up "font.bmp" (which is located in your Generally game directory) in the program of your choice.

Before you edit this file there are some key things you need to know:
  • There are only two colours; black and white. Black means "transparent" and white is what is coloured in game.

Each character has a space 20px horizontally and 40px vertically
for GraphicsGale Users:
Before you move on to step two there are a few extra steps which can make your life easier;

Step 1(a)
On the toolbar, click Custom-Grid > Input...
Step 1(b)
Here type these figures on the dialogue box that comes up. This will generate a grid that will help you with character spacing
For this X coordinate, you can either choose 20, or 10. I normally choose 10 because it gives an extra line which is in the middle as a guide.
For this Y value you can choose what ever value you like, or not at all if you wish (untick the visible checkbox). 4 is just the value I'm used to.

You should Get a result something like this:
Step 2:
Edit the file, being careful not to go over the 20px boundries for each character. (for people who don't have GraphicsGale or other editing software that has guidlines to help you, i have included a template with guides to show the boundries. After you've finished editing the bmp, just draw black rectangles over the guides to remove them.)
Note: near the end of the font bmp (to the right) are the characters with accents, such as á, é, etc. if you don't want to redo these characters from scratch but still want to include them just copy the "a" you've already done previously and past it over the top of the á, but be careful not to paste over the accent above.

only paste over the characters in the red box

Step 3:
Remember to save it and then you can enjoy your generally game with a new font!
Attachments
template_font.zip
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 338 times