Still alive?

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Hiken17

Still alive?

Post by Hiken17 »

Hey, I came back to playing Generally just a few weeks ago (I don't know if any of you guys remembers me :sweatdrop: ) and i was really really glad that after so long gone the first thing i saw here was ''Generally 2''.
I read some of the request, developer posts and stuff, and i'm very happy with what I'm seeing, except for the fact that the last update on this was more than a year ago, i know probably someone asked before me, but i don't seem to find it.

What was the last words the developer had on this? Is it still going? It was heartbreaking enough finding a kickstarter project in which i couldn't participate (Both because i didn't knew it existed and i'm broke), so i hope it's just going really slow and they didn't give up. I don't mind the time they take, but the sequel to this is something I want to witness.

EDIT: Oh, also, what happened to the demo? I would really love to try it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RudyOosterndijk

Re: Still alive?

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Hiken17 wrote: What was the last words the developer had on this? Is it still going?
"Silence is golden" - that's basically the main quote that describes their recent communications strategy.

That wasn't always the case: Things changed after the pitch on Kickstarter failed and the developers claimed to maintain their work on a possible sequel - just at a much slower pace. We had a longer period with no information at all before their ultimate blog entry was published. Since then we have been waiting for more.

So at this point of time we can only speculate about the progress of the whole project, based on what they told us in their last official announcement. You are right, the Kickstarter demo was taken down - make of that what you will in this context. Personally, I'm not too optimistic but if you like clutching on straws, you could still argue that they might be back once the can present a substantially new version of GR2. I guess, that would be their reaction on all the controversial opinions on some of their design decisions.

If you still want to try the demo, I guess that there will be at least one of our veteran members that still has it stored somewhere. Unfortunately, I deleted the demo only a few months ago.
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

Well, then we can just hope for it to be going forwards. Thanks, i hope we can all see something about it in the near future.
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I do have a Kickstarer pre-alfa demo zip archive(s - 2 versions were released AFAIK), surely I'm not alone. But my main point to post is to give a warning, its readme says:
... GeneRally 2 Pre-Alpha Demo is not for redistribution. ...
So no uploading it here is possible and similarly no links to public uploads made by private persons may be tolerated. :shrug: If they took it back from public access, their choice.
kuba

Post by kuba »

Well, there is this saying: "What goes on the Internet stays on the Internet".

There is this post: http://blog.gene-rally.com/2014/06/26/g ... ai-update/ and it's having an URL http://gene-rally.com/ksdemo/ which redirect to domain's root, but...

There is a website in "The top 500 sites on the web" at Alexa.com called Archive.org.

Let's put the redirected URL to search for. Oh, we have 1 snapshot. So we can see the "Kickstarter (Pre-Alpha) Demo" page, but demo itself is not working? Not a problem. Let's go to see the source (you can use this: "view-source:https://web.archive.org/web/20140408224 ... om/ksdemo/") of it. Now let's search for Unity initialization (line starting with string "u.initPlugin"). Oh, we have the link to Amazons S3. It says "The specified bucket does not exist", but we had fixed the problem with not working URL already, didn't we?

So, last step - we put the Amazon's URL in Wayback Machine and we see:
Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

Want to search for all archived pages under https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gr2ksdemo1/ ?
and we can see
6 URLs have been captured for this domain.
And that's it - you can grab GR2 demo 2 and try it.