Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Marco

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Marco »

:heyea: :heyea: :heyea: :heyea: :heyea:
Thank you James for breaking any thoughts that GR2.0 is dead :hug:
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

@ James: :up: both for 1st part of the blog and the later half with info about progress.

:hattip:
puttz

Post by puttz »

Glad that you finally broke the silence, and good to see that progress has been made, albeit slowly. Hopefully we will hear more about physics and cars soon.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

That's great, James. Thanks a lot! :cool2:
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Well, I still have scruples about GR2 project, but showing a life signal is nonetheless a great thing. ^^
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Big news indeed! You came with a good surprise, and I'm glad that you're still continuing the project, James! :)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Great news James, thanks for making a post.

Did you ever thought about getting help from others? There has to be well prepared people here in the community willing to help and that, would be a boost to the whole project.

Cheers!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Thanks for progress guys :).
coffeesoft

Post by coffeesoft »

Guys, you are doing and amazing work and makes many people happy around the world.

No matter what bad things they say out there, keep the good work as always, many thanks :bg:
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Almost a year from last post, and not a single word... :(
Marco

Post by Marco »

Well, as James said in his previous post "we're still going, just very, very slowly".
I also would like to see an update, but let's not start a discussion like previously.
I’ll leave Markku to update you on the physics and AI in, probably, another blog post...
And I do think that next update will be on physics.
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

maybe GR 1.2d could be rolling out in that blog post too
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Marco

Post by Marco »

RobertRacer wrote:maybe GR 1.2d could be rolling out in that blog post too
Possible :scratch:
Formerly marinator
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

How slow is the progress then? I mean, doing a post with a little update for those who followed and supported the project, every 6 months would be too much asking? Define "slow" please.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Still nothing? Really do wish the original source code was open for use at this point. :(
View my archived circuits/cars here
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I wish that was the case too honestly.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

It's just sad looking here because I remember after the last major update, this place was thriving but we've hit the no updates thing again and it's tiresome.

I do miss GR, I've played it a bit lately and my love for it has returned but I long for a new version. I wish I knew the original code since starting to program a "conversion" for modern systems to get a driving system right.
Glen

Post by Glen »

let me quote myself from just 2 pages ago (or 2 years depending the point ov view)...
Glen wrote:Like generally 1 with online mode? Everyone would be happy I think.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I know I would be too :)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'd take it with unlimited cars at this point...
I like short, simple signatures!
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

I told myself not to add anything to the discussion about GR2 because there are already enough accusations and allegations going around.
But the whole thing has reached a point where I just have to present my opinion.

First of all:
I don´t want to blame James and Markku or the Rabinas.
I know it´s a lot of work to create a sequel, especially if you don´t get payed for it.
I certainly wouldn´t have the time for it!

Maybe, if anybody who has a part in the development reads this, you could see this post as an advice from someone who has been a part and followed the GR-community for more than 10 years now.

Please tell us something a bout your progress! Something like "Oh sorry we didn´t have any time so nothing happened..."
That´s still better than saying nothing at all. It drives people away.
The community was very excited about your last post. But again it´s been one and a half years without any news.
The first demo you have released was amazing and we all thought that we were months away from a release. But that´s already what? 4 years ago?

I know silence is golden and so on. But can you maybe make it 3 or 4 months between updates rather than 18 months?

In the time being I will visit this forum regularly and wait patiently for an update ;)
Flaming_Wuzzle
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Flaming_Wuzzle »

Scholl wrote:Please tell us something a bout your progress! Something like "Oh sorry we didn´t have any time so nothing happened..."
That´s still better than saying nothing at all. It drives people away.
The community was very excited about your last post. But again it´s been one and a half years without any news.
The first demo you have released was amazing and we all thought that we were months away from a release. But that´s already what? 4 years ago?

I know silence is golden and so on. But can you maybe make it 3 or 4 months between updates rather than 18 months?

In the time being I will visit this forum regularly and wait patiently for an update ;)
Go check the FAQ page on the GR site, they updated it recently to talk about why they've not been taking much lately. Also would like to point out they updated GR1 a couple of weeks ago to fix a few bugs and compatibility issues, which they talked about on the dev blog.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

The main issue is this. I want to have faith in GR 2.0.

I backed the kickstarter with more money than an AAA title costs to buy, because on per hour of gaming, I've probably spent more time playing GR than any other game so I thought on a money side, it's worth it. The main thing I want is another version because I do think the game is worth preserving, maybe as a result of nostalgia or otherwise.

Yeah, I'm critical of how it's been handled so far. I'll go on record and say that the criticism of the development so far has been fair and just especially when looked at the space of updates, what we've been given, what we've seen and how it has been handled.

I've stopped feeling like the project has been one of passion and rather more of one than control and nothing made it more clear than the FAQ section. There stopped being a heart behind it and it seems like more and more of the community (what's left of it) is getting disappointed by it. It's clear when they dropped the community link on the new site that it doesn't want to be handled (first with this community being "unofficial" then dropped altogether) and the FAQ section at the end sounds more like an attack at those that want something, anything.

I should remind people that way before GR 2.0 went into different hands, I managed to get a hold of one of the Rabina productions about discussing putting the code in public back on the RSC forums. I feel sad that fell through but at least it opened the options up and there was at least a worthwhile update of GR 1.

There's coming moments where I just want to put my hands in the air and just say, I'll do it. I really, really want to but I need to build more skills before doing it and also keep tight lipped until there's something that's virtually done to avoid the mistakes being made here.

I'm not sorry for expressing my disappointment. I can't be. It's been too long.
Elharter

Post by Elharter »

content deleted
Last edited by Elharter on Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Even I keep coming back hoping that I'll see something positive changing here. But every time I do come here, I see nothing new of note. Even this update is a series of bugfixes that should've been released 5 years ago. The community section is back, but now GRIF is pushed down to being level with PGR; which is a minor forum and has always been a minor forum (just look at when most of the subforums were touched last). It's the same politics James has been playing since day 1 of GRIF, which I can still remember from all those years ago; it always has had to have his name on it, or nobody's name. Frankly I don't even know if I can trust the claim about the source code being kept private because of the Rabina's request.

Crowella, you put that better than I can. Even if 2.0 were to suddenly appear in a couple of month's time and be fully done, the community I see here is a fraction of the size of the one I remember. And there's only one person to blame for that.