Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Mad Dan »

Have you seen the new Australian Formula Super 5000? :shock: V8 engine and this retro looks, sounds so cool :D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

^ Ooh, what a car that is! Really good-looking! 8)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Marco

Post by Marco »

Mad Dan wrote:Have you seen the new Australian Formula Super 5000? :shock: V8 engine and this retro looks, sounds so cool :D.
:shock: Now that's a cool looking car. Sadly F1 will never look this good again :(
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Give Liberty a few years time. Maybe in 2021 the F1 cars could be retro-looking.
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Actually I'd love to have a better competitiveness in F1. I feel like there's a long gap between teams, but maybe it's just me because F1 is always development-based, one team might have two steps more forward than the other at most.

Marco

Post by Marco »

RobertRacer wrote:Give Liberty a few years time. Maybe in 2021 the F1 cars could be retro-looking.
Quite doubt it :? . The thing is that probably most of the average fans want futuristic cars, not retro. Like 2017. I'm not a huge fan of 2017 cars, however I'll admit they do look better than they did (2009-2016). But they look more futuristic than retro.
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I don't wish for retro F1 cars :) future is the future :D. I just found that car pretty cool, not necessarily appliable to F1. The new indycar and future formula e is more like what I hope for in F1.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

2016: This year's drama can't be beaten in Le Mans.
2017: Hold my baguette!
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Marco

Post by Marco »

Toyota Honda'd itself... again.
Formerly marinator
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Honestly LMP2 win would be crazy :D.
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

Another great race. Good to see Bernhard on top of the podium again, although winning twice is still not enough to represent how good of a driver he is. :mrgreen:
Also, the more I read about Toyota/TMG, the more I think that they are not ready to win Le Mans, even after all those years.
Compromising reliability and serviceability in favor of weight reduction and raw speed is not the way to win The Race. :doh:
puttz

Post by puttz »

I really have to question the engineering direction on the Toyota cars, they seem to fail way too easily based on the last couple of years. Endurance racing is about making a car that can stay in one piece and be working at the end of the race, something Toyota does not seem to be doing.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

puttz wrote:I really have to question the engineering direction on the Toyota cars, they seem to fail way too easily based on the last couple of years. Endurance racing is about making a car that can stay in one piece and be working at the end of the race, something Toyota does not seem to be doing.
Sorry, bit late to the party, but I don't believe it to be a solely a Toyota issue. Porsche and Audi before have had a fair few issues with the hybrid demands. Very likely Toyota have had more than their fair share of problems there, but that's the nature of motorsport.

It will improve, hybrids are still an infancy project that continues to develop.
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

It was one of the hottest LMs since they ran hybrids. If you're running cutting edge technology it's going to fail if you push the envelope too much. I'm fine with that since that is the whole point of racing. What worries me more is the lack of P1s in general 6 cars is not a healthy number.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Michkov wrote:It was one of the hottest LMs since they ran hybrids. If you're running cutting edge technology it's going to fail if you push the envelope too much. I'm fine with that since that is the whole point of racing. What worries me more is the lack of P1s in general 6 cars is not a healthy number.
It was more like 5 and a half P1 cars, the Bykolles car was a joke.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

puttz wrote:
Michkov wrote:It was one of the hottest LMs since they ran hybrids. If you're running cutting edge technology it's going to fail if you push the envelope too much. I'm fine with that since that is the whole point of racing. What worries me more is the lack of P1s in general 6 cars is not a healthy number.
If only non-Hybrid cars can be as competitive as Hybrid cars... :weep:

I was going to say that for new OEMs wishing to enter the competition, they may choose whether they'd go to the Hybrid route or not (read: developing HY car not mandatory), but then again the majority may not favor this idea...

puttz

Post by puttz »

Rendy wrote:
puttz wrote:
If only non-Hybrid cars can be as competitive as Hybrid cars... :weep:

I was going to say that for new OEMs wishing to enter the competition, they may choose whether they'd go to the Hybrid route or not (read: developing HY car not mandatory), but then again the majority may not favor this idea...
I think P1 is dead as of next year. Porsche will be gone, leaving Toyota as the only OEM, and there don't seem to be any other manufacturers that have any interest in joining P1. Maybe they should rework the P-2 category into something similar to the IMSA DPi regulations and make it the premier prototype class, opening it up to manufacturers to join instead of the spec crap they have right now.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

At least there are going to be several new teams with LMP1 cars next year. All of them on a privateer basis. Ginetta, SMP Racing (with Dallara built cars), Perrin was supposed to join too. ByKolles will be back. None of them with hybird cars though...
puttz

Post by puttz »

Mad Dan wrote:At least there are going to be several new teams with LMP1 cars next year. All of them on a privateer basis. Ginetta, SMP Racing (with Dallara built cars), Perrin was supposed to join too. ByKolles will be back. None of them with hybird cars though...
Not sure what the point of having the hybrid, or in 2020 the plug-in hybrid, regulations is if no team will be building hybrids.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

^ That one right there.

The DPi formula for WEC would be promising but then again ACO doesn't seem to be a fan of this idea from what I've seen. They wanted the OEMs to be all hybrid and wanted to show that they are still the face for the hybrid technology showcase, but then the vision isn't without the swelling costs. It's taking its toll right now and now WEC only has Toyota as their OEM in the main category, but I have doubts whenever the Japanese marque will last for a long time. Things have gone worse in the P1 front these days... :(

Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Considering P1 has origins from GTP/LMP900, I'd say it's about time there was a total refresh of that top tier. Granted the engines have changed a fair bit, but time for a new look that's affordable to those who want in.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Not looking good for continued full time Toyota involvement, either: https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1315 ... re-in-lmp1

Edit: Also, Huh? https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1315 ... n-schedule
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff