Competitions ideas

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
RudyOosterndijk

Re: Competitions ideas

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Generally speaking, what do you all think about another iteration of PGR F1 in its current form?

What is the current form?
The 2016 season had 15 Grands Prix, each one consisting of one Qualifying of 5 laps and one Race of 25 km. We used my 2016 Formula 1 car pack and specific physics for dry, mixed and wet weather conditions. The tracks were real-life circuits related to Formula 1 by Maciej, AeroWiewiur, Sartalas, Areen etc. and they were selected by the community before the season.

What is our concern?
Mainly participation. I am not sure if the whole concept can still draw the attention of about 20 drivers per season. In 2016, out of a total of 23 drivers, 17 participated in the first round in Melbourne, and 20 in the second round in Sepang. Participation declined gradually, hitting rock bottom (only 10 drivers) in round 13 in Aida before it recovered to 13 drivers in the final round in Kyalami. While these numbers are still pretty good and the decline is roughly the same as in the previous years, we are undecided if we would start another season in the current form with a guesstimate of 'only' about 12-15 drivers.

What are our ideas?
We expect the number of active drivers (and our potential participants) in the community to drop further. There is hardly anything to stop that trend. What we can do is work on our concept, changing it from a 4-month competition that requires full commitment to one with a lower frequency of events.
One idea would be to turn PGR F1 into a 12-month competition with one Grand Prix per month - similar to Kuba's GRID: Hattrick - making each Grand Prix a single event. However, all 10, 11 or 12 Grands Prix would be part of a Championship season that acts as the loose framework for the series. Drivers would drop in or out as they wish, and their seats would remain reserved for the length of a Championship season. Circuits would be elected before the season or - again, like in GRID: Hattrick - every single month. We would like to keep our race format as is, but Qualifying could be valued more highly, e.g., through a new format like the original Q1-Q2-Q3 format in F1. There would be no TimeTrial, only HL and Race.
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

puttz wrote:Would anyone have any interest in me bringing back the management competition? I've been thinking about doing it again if there is enough interest.
I'm interested. :bg:
It seems that I have missed season 2 :ashamed:
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

Marcinho wrote:I have idea too.

- Endurance race (30-40 minutes)
- two classes (OP2 and GTT)
- changing drivers*
- one drive may drive in two classes, but not same squad**
- driver can't drive same stint in two teams***

* First driver log in, download track and send pack later. Second driver log in, download track and save and send pack.
** For example Marcinho and Gzehoo can't drive on same team in both classes

Code: Select all

NOT POSSIBLE, bacause Marcinho and Gzehoo drive together in two classes
19 | OP1 | Marcinho Motorsports   | Marcinho   | Gzehoo
92 | GGT | Lambda Motorsports     | Gzehoo     | Marcinho

NOT POSSIBLE, because Gzehoo drive second stint two times
19 | OP1 | Marcinho Motorsports   | Marcinho     | Gzehoo
92 | GGT | Lambda Motorsports     | RobertRacer  | Gzehoo
Any questions or ideas about tracks?
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Marcinho wrote:
Marcinho wrote:* First driver log in, download track and send pack later. Second driver log in, download track and save and send pack.
I recall on the good old GRLMS compo by James C., where he prepared login windows for each stint. (BTW will this be a login competition?) From my point of view it would be easier for you to follow the racer's activity that way.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

Yes, This race will be login competition.

I will open race after Arcade Rally.
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

Sorry for double.

Test pack for 40m at Spa. I need to know that difference between GT and OP2 is enough
Attachments
40 minutes at Spa.zip
(981.29 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

After Marcinho and RudyOosterndijk, I also decided to rethink an organisation of my both competitions (Grand Tour Trophy and International Endurance Series).

I mean, both series would be organised during one year (e.g. 2018), both of them from March to October/November.
But the calendar for both series doesn't need to collide - and I would also organize every round as Qualifs + Race.

For example:

Grand Tour Trophy 2018 - Round 1 (Spanish Grand Prix)
25/02/2018 - Qualifs
04/03/2018 - Race

Grand Tour Trophy 2018 - Round 2 (U.S. Grand Prix)
11/03/2018 - Qualifs
18/03/2018 - Race

International Endurance Series 2018 - Round 1 (Sebring 12h)
18/03/2018 - Qualifs
25/03/2018 - Race
Last edited by Gzehoo on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
Szmajli

Post by Szmajli »

Gzehoo wrote:SPECIAL EVENT TOURNAMENT 2017

ROC-style competition.

I wanted to organize it in the past, but now when we didn't have Race Of Champions, I decided to back with this idea.
A little difference is about competition format:

1. Qualifs:
Everybody will start on one track using two random cars; a total time of both "qualifying races" will decide about putting drivers in the Group Phase.

2. Group phase:
Drivers are divided into Group A and Group B.
Depends on the number of drivers, best 2 or 4 drivers in every group go to Play-Off.

Every driver needs to make two races with another driver on the same track using random cars.
The winner of each "match" gets 3 points, in case of draw drivers get 1 point.

3. Play-Off:
Just a tournament ladder:

[code]In case of >10 drivers:

Group A Driver______________
Group B Driver |
Match 1 Winner________
Match 2 Winner |
Group A Driver______________| |
Group B Driver |
Match 5 Winner
Match 6 Winner
Group A Driver______________ |
Group B Driver | |
Match 3 Winner________|
Match 4 Winner
Group A Driver______________|
Group B Driver[/code]

[code]In case of <8 drivers

Group A 1st______________
Group B 2nd |
Match 1 Winner
Match 2 Winner
Group A 2nd______________|
Group B 1st[/code]

Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Match for 3rd place will be on 3 races (first to 2 wins).
Final match will be on 5 races (first to 3 wins).

Tracks I wanted to use are mainly ROC-style tracks (Dammer, Bjorskliden, Prikosice, Wembley, Dusseldorf).

Cars I wanted to use:
-Lambda LB-7E1
-MCar SuperTruck
-Toyota Yaris WRC (AeroWiewiur's rally pack)
-Porsche 997 GTE (STC 2016)
-Ariel Atom (Lorenzo's Garage)
I was going to start it in September 2017.
Sounds good. :bg:
My Tracks & Cars
Tracks: Kakucsring, Rabocsiring ([rwl] Rallycross tracks)
Cars: FIA Group R4, FIA Group R5(Car of the Month), FIA Group RRC, Seat Leon Eurocup 2014, Suzuki Swift Cup Europe 2014, Seat Leon Szuperkupa 2008, Copa Tiida 2011

Pronounce my name like Smiley.
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

Mszostus

Post by Mszostus »

I interested PGRF1, maybe only Q1 (all drivers) and Q2 (top10)?
RudyOosterndijk

Mszostus wrote:I interested PGRF1, maybe only Q1 (all drivers) and Q2 (top10)?
My initial idea was to set a specific percentage of drivers who wouldn't make the 2nd (and a possible 3rd) round. In case of 3 rounds, the slowest 33.3% wouldn't make it into Q2 and then only 50% get through into Q3. So in case of 18 participants, 12 make it into Q2 and 6 into Q3.
On the plus side, we are flexible enough, considering that participation usually changes between 12 and 22 drivers, which would make it difficult to define absolute numbers of Q2 and Q3 starters. On the other hand, the system is relatively intransparent because nobody knows the exact number of opponents when he is doing his run in qualifying.

The same idea also fits into a different format than the Q1-Q2-Q3 hot lap format we are talking about. We might as well try a 3 lap time trial, with the already mentioned numbers of drivers dropping out after the first and the second lap. The winner would be the quickest over all 3 laps who also hasn't been eliminated yet - not the quickest in the last lap.

But in the end, we might stick with what we have now. That's also a possibility. :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Q looks fine to me as it is. I find a bit unnecessary trying to spice up the rivalry in Q, it's ok, rules are clear and I wouldn't change it. Qualifying results don't have much of an impact on race anyway and I don't think that any significant points should be awarded for Q, which is another reason to keep it simple. The only thing about Q I didn't like is the track drying up (like at Silverstone last season), when only last two laps could be in any way competitive, but if it is meant to be realistic I can understand it.

Referring to Rudy's previous post from 7th June, I feel spreading the season over a whole year would not be a good step. Personally I like that compactness and intensity, and that it takes a bit of perseverance to fight and overcome crises which are bound to happen, but after all the season becomes a very nice experience. Race every 2 weeks from my point of view would be acceptable, but anything more than that would lose the competition's integrity. Maybe in addition let's think about giving points for 10 out of 12 (for example) best races of the season? That could help some drivers who feel tired at some moment take a rest while not interrupting the course of the season.

I would also change something about races to be honest. I do like longer races but last season showed the grid is quite spread in terms of pace and shortening the distance would benefit the quality of racing, it would put some pressure on leaders and give more chances for midpack runners. Shorter and more intense races could solve the problem with plumetting attendance as well. Strategies could remain the same with consumption just scaled down to the new distance.
RudyOosterndijk

Thanks Lorenzo, I can see all of your points and if we decide to be conservative about the changes for 2017, what you suggest might very well be the final product.

Concerning qualifying: I would like QF to be a counterweight to the race. More unpredictable, very short and a bit chaotic at best. Qualifying should not feel like the unnecessary prologue to the race (although it is - points-wise and in terms of the handicap on the grid). But we are not planning to ramp the points up but work on the format.
The track drying up scenario was intended the way it worked out. The background is that we have always declined the few but similar requests to introduce tyre wear and fuel consumption over such a short distance for the same reasons like yours. What we sold to you as an innovation was actually intended as a test under real conditions (and with some over-complicated but necessary changes for that one event) as we have been thinking about "spicing up" qualifying for a long time.

Concerning the 1 year championship:
I think we must forget about the "integrity" of the series because we will not be able to hold on all of our cornerstones at the same time, like the 15+ races per season, 10+ minutes of race time and the compact schedule. Our proposal is radical in the sense that it touches upon 2 of these 3 cornerstones in order to tackle the issue of attendance in the later rounds of the season.
According to our plans, we would like a PGR F1 season to be perceived as the loose connection of independent events that take place on a monthly basis. In our view, a 2-week-rhythm would be a bad compromise, taking away the "compactness and intensity" of the current format without converting it into a new experience.

Concerning race length, I agree that shorter distances might bunch up the pack, which then (seemingly?) leads to more competitive results. Considering that we are not too worried about the integrity or heritage of the series, this seems like an easy and a sensible adjustment to the format, regardless of the attendance problem.

Finally, the main incentive behind all these proposed changes is to come up with a format that is unproblematic and enjoyable for most of the potential drivers that are still here. But it's also possible that we will have to abandon the weekly format for personal reasons at some point in the future. So concerning our plans for the series, we might not be completely without restrictions like we used to be.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

An idea came across my mind: this would be a timetrial shootout competition. However it would be a bit different. In a round, instead of contesting everyone on each track, drivers would race against only one driver, and score points by each duel. To keep it simple: fastest lap - 1 point, win - 2 point. So, technically 3 points may be earned in each duel.

With the current attendance everyone might be placed in one group, but if necessary, these could be divided as much time, as it would be needed.

For example, here you go with a round:
Drivers: A, B, C, D, E, F
Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Duels:

1st: A-B, C-D, E-F
2nd: A-C, B-E, D-F
3rd: A-D, B-E, C-F
4th: A-E, B-C, D-F
5th: A-F, B-D, C-E
Results:

1st: 3-0, 2-1, 1-2
2nd: 1-2, 2-1, 0-3
3rd: 1-2, 3-0, 0-3
4th: 0-3, 0-3, 2-1
5th: 3-0, 1-2, 3-0

A: 3+1+1+0+3=8pt
B: 0+2+0+0+3=5pt
C: 2+2+3+3+1=11pt
D: 1+0+2+2+0=5pt
E: 1+3+3+3+2=12pt
F: 2+1+0+1+0=4pt
RudyOosterndijk

Herbal wrote:An idea came across my mind: this would be a timetrial shootout competition.
Just some thoughts about it.

Your current table of fixtures or "duels" is not quite fair. Because B is competing against E twice per "season" and D against F also twice. But that is probably just an oversight when you set up the table.

Another point is that - supposing you are running a schedule of 1 track per week (= 1 duel per driver per week) - there are going to be times when one of the drivers misses out on a duel because he forgot or because he did not have time. We saw that in RoC where the 'only' consequence was a free pass to the next round of the knock-out stage, so without any immediate effect on the results in the final or on the drivers in the other bracket of the tournament. In your scenario, however, the beneficiary would hold onto his free points for all of the season, which might skew the final results table more seriously.

About the tracks, I can see that you want every driver to compete on each of the tracks exactly once. I wondered if this is really necessary for fairness reasons because a driver could still luck into facing the slowest opponent on his personal worst track on the calendar. But I would not consider that a serious flaw as long as the tracks and cars that you want to utilize are relatively similar over the course of the compo.

And finally, I wonder what difference your proposed competition makes in practice. Would I approach the duels differently than the classic timetrial in the scope of say GRID Hattrick if I am against one of the top guys? And what about the strategic element behind the 1 point for the fastest lap? Considering I have made a mistake that almost certainly costs me the overall win in the duel, would I really go all in for the fastest lap like Buemi did against di Grassi in last year's Formula-E final and would I have a realistic chance?
Or is the idea behind the accumulation of points and the making-up of the fixtures only an innovation on the organizer's part? So, does the duel idea translate into the actual gameplay, which is basically offline racing against the clock and an imaginary opponent?

I don't know about the last paragraph, but since I like the man-to-man formats in general, there should be more of them. So I would approve. :D
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

RudyOosterndijk wrote:Your current table of fixtures or "duels" is not quite fair. Because B is competing against E twice per "season" and D against F also twice. But that is probably just an oversight when you set up the table.
Darn, I've tried to order the draws so that each these duels would not mix... :doh: But this is the least problem though.
Another point is that - supposing you are running a schedule of 1 track per week (= 1 duel per driver per week) - there are going to be times when one of the drivers misses out on a duel because he forgot or because he did not have time. We saw that in RoC where the 'only' consequence was a free pass to the next round of the knock-out stage, so without any immediate effect on the results in the final or on the drivers in the other bracket of the tournament. In your scenario, however, the beneficiary would hold onto his free points for all of the season, which might skew the final results table more seriously.
I did not say anything about race length, but these would be definitely quick, I could also say micro events (5km or less per track). Just like it did work for example in F1Cup by James C., (or in my Hotlap Haul), in one round you could race on more tracks at one login session. As such, these duels would happen in the same week, in the same login session.
About the tracks, I can see that you want every driver to compete on each of the tracks exactly once. I wondered if this is really necessary for fairness reasons because a driver could still luck into facing the slowest opponent on his personal worst track on the calendar. But I would not consider that a serious flaw as long as the tracks and cars that you want to utilize are relatively similar over the course of the compo.
A careful selection of tracks is indeed needed, but then this idea is still in theory phase.
And finally, I wonder what difference your proposed competition makes in practice. Would I approach the duels differently than the classic timetrial in the scope of say GRID Hattrick if I am against one of the top guys? And what about the strategic element behind the 1 point for the fastest lap? Considering I have made a mistake that almost certainly costs me the overall win in the duel, would I really go all in for the fastest lap like Buemi did against di Grassi in last year's Formula-E final and would I have a realistic chance?
Or is the idea behind the accumulation of points and the making-up of the fixtures only an innovation on the organizer's part? So, does the duel idea translate into the actual gameplay, which is basically offline racing against the clock and an imaginary opponent?
That part is actually a good question, since I do not recall any GR competition, where one single fast lap would get you that much advantage in a TT event (one third of maximum points may be earned so in a round!). My intuition says this would result best case in a combination of F1Cup with ROC. However there is also the frustration factor, which might be kind of high using this formula. A test event might be helpful to see, how drivers would react in this system.
Clement

Post by Clement »

So many great ideas here, simply stunned! Would be cool see all some of them :D
You can go hard or you can go home!
That's my life moto!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I am going to run a championship on fictional tracks, it will start right after the Rally Trophy is finished.
Would you guys be more interested in Mini GP S3? Previous season with the pack
Or rather NetBook Racers World Cup S4? Previous season with the pack

Both would be races probably 15 kms long, the main difference is in the cars.
Mini GP is a a Krisu made formula and NBR are various touring cars made by Fechna.
2 races per login window.
Tracks will be selected from my all-time personal favourites :yummy: . All made by established trackmakers: AleksiNir, Darjo, Crowella, Masa, Trigger Happy, Paw, BBA, JaK_GR, Jimmy, etc. :bg:
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Today, I want to officially anounce that next season of GTT and IES will be expended over the whole year 2018.

In the spoiler you can see official calendar for GTT 2018.
[code]Pre-Season Test 1 21/01/2018 TBA
Pre-Season Test 2 28/01/2018 TBA

01. Spanish GP 25/02/2018 Albacete
02. Portuguese GP 04/03/2018 Algarve
03. U.S. GP 18/03/2018 Road America
04. Croatian GP 22/04/2018 Rijeka
05. Italian GP 06/05/2018 Adria
06. German GP 20/05/2018 Lausitz
07. Polish GP 10/06/2018 Silesia Ring
08. British GP 01/07/2018 Snetterton

[SUMMER BREAK]

09. Korean GP 02/09/2018 Ansan
10. Taiwan GP 23/09/2018 Penbay
11. Indonesian GP 07/10/2018 TBA *1
12. Australian GP 21/10/2018 TBA *2
13. Brazilian GP 04/11/2018 Curitiba
14. Canadian GP 18/11/2018 Mission Park
15. Norwegian GP 02/12/2018 Rudskogen1

*1 Jakabaring was preparing for MotoGP, despite of the fact it's not in the official calendar. I'm not sure if the track is going to be created IRL so I can take Sentul to GTT.
*2 For sure permanent circuit (I'm going to make it)[/code]
I also want to confirm that Qualifs will back to GTT and will take place one week before each race. It means that e.g. Qualifs of Round 2 can collide with Race of Round 1.
Lambda Motosports

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
Onik37

Post by Onik37 »

hi all :goal:
I'm really interested to start racing with the community of GR... but I'm really not convinced what I'm supposed to do. :worried:
Could someone tell me how users can race each other? I read that the driver have to save the race replay, make some screenshots and upload also the circuit utilized with the rest, everything in zip file for the "organization manager" in the term of the race. It is right?
Also... could I partecipate like "wildcard" for a race in already started championship? :bowdown:
I'm preatty curious about it! :hyper:
Onik37 approves >uO
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Hello Onik37,

About files - yes, but every competition uses Login System what gives you only one chance during each session.

You can join every active competition, no matter how many times are you going to start.

At this moment, active seasons in the competitions are:
Mini GP S3
International Endurance Series 2017

+ probably GRID Hat Trick 25 (depends on Kuba)
Lambda Motosports

Onik37

Post by Onik37 »

Gzehoo wrote:Hello Onik37,

About files - yes, but every competition uses Login System what gives you only one chance during each session.

You can join every active competition, no matter how many times are you going to start.

At this moment, active seasons in the competitions are:
Mini GP S3
International Endurance Series 2017

+ probably GRID Hat Trick 25 (depends on Kuba)
Thanks Gzehoo, but I think I don't understand how works the Login System :hot:
and for registration? how can i do these things?
Sorry for my incompetence :compko: lol
Onik37 approves >uO
Marco

Post by Marco »

It's simple, really. You just tell the competition organiser via a post, PM, or email. The organiser then will "register" you and send you your login name and password. Then when the race will be made available, you just login download the track, race, and send back files (usually a screenshot, saved game file and the track itself) and thats it.
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

You can test the login system here :)
https://minigp.000webhostapp.com
Use these information:

Login:
testlogin
Password:
password

In my competition what you do next is extract the downloaded tracks into you GR trackfolder and you do your race with correct settings and on the correct track :).
At the finishing screeen you take a screenshot and save the game. Then you zip the track you raced on, the screenshot and the save and upload them on the login website.
That way I know your race was genuine :). After the deadline you can expect a results and replays to be published :).

If you want to join Mini GP I'll be glad to have you and provide you with any help needed to understand the process further.
You only have to sign up by personal message or by post in the topic :bg:
Onik37

Post by Onik37 »

Mad Dan wrote:You can test the login system here :)
https://minigp.000webhostapp.com
Use these information:

Login:
testlogin
Password:
password

In my competition what you do next is extract the downloaded tracks into you GR trackfolder and you do your race with correct settings and on the correct track :).
At the finishing screeen you take a screenshot and save the game. Then you zip the track you raced on, the screenshot and the save and upload them on the login website.
That way I know your race was genuine :). After the deadline you can expect a results and replays to be published :).

If you want to join Mini GP I'll be glad to have you and provide you with any help needed to understand the process further.
You only have to sign up by personal message or by post in the topic :bg:
Awesome... simply awesome! :flip:
So... I'm really interested to registrate me in Mini GP series. :nod:

Oh, I was forgetting... how can I wrote you via PM? I don't see this option

Edit: I'm stupid... I just saw the option right now lol :roflmao:
Onik37 approves >uO