[rwl] [cir] Circuito dos Cristais / Curvelo

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Fermmoylle

[rwl] [cir] Circuito dos Cristais / Curvelo

Post by Fermmoylle »

First of all, I don't have much experience with real life tracks -- I've only made one before this. -- But as NobreBJJ asked me, I'm trying my hand at Circuito dos Cristais - Autódromo Internacional de Curvelo. This new Brazilian track lies in Minas Gerais and it has an interesting layout. I hope I did it some justice.

I ask you to comment on this as I intend to create the best version of this track I can make.

A few points:
  • The HMap is subtle, as I watched a few on board videos and saw very few inclinations -- I think I got them all.
  • The AI line was optimized to Formula at 100 AI, but it also worked well with 70.
Attachments
Track screenshot
Track screenshot
curvelo.zip
Track and readme files
(50.12 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Santana 2.0

Re: [rwl] [cir] Circuito dos Cristais / Curvelo

Post by Santana 2.0 »

Even though I had already downloaded, I've only read now that you asked for advices. So, I putted on my critic glasses :ugeek: and get to work (and I've already messed with those tracks I've told you, on my old pc, which I'll be near again during the Carnival :yummy: )

I know that finding the balance between the exact layout and some deformations to suit the turns is difficult, but the sequences T1-T2, Cauda da onça e T16-Cotovelo would benefit from some deformation (the Anzol too, but there isn't space, GR problems...).

You could use more of the pure black color (at least, in my Paint editions, that's the color) in the ambient. It's the gravel terrain WITHOUT the little stones (it ISN'T mud and it doesn't appear in the GR Track Editor, maybe in the Snake it shows up?). From what I'm seeing in an updated satellite photo, there's lot of this terrain type. You could change at least half of your grass with it. Since there's a layer of grass around the tarmac, you could try a Losail approach, it usually ends beautifully.

Another thing is the stands that you putted on the last sector. They mount temporary stands for the race? Because I can't see any and this kind of thing annoys me a little, just a personal taste :? .
You could change the stands in the pit area for the Office Block (short) of the editor, or use a BUNCH of Gates to make a "roof".
That said, you can improve the area behind the pit. put some good tarmac and fill with people, trucks, the kind of thing competition brings.

Last but not least, use https://www.google.com.br/intl/pt-BR/earth/ for the HMap. Google Earth shows the sea level height in meters (Google Maps doesn't show, and it's quite difficult to measure this without the numbers). Thanks to this I could already see some cool elevation changes (nothing enormous, but I love ANY elevation change :D ).

Don't get me wrong, I liked the track and already updated my GR folders, just pointing out things that I loved when people pointed me, because helping each other is for what this community still exists, right?
Attachments
the pure black color that turns into that soil type that isn't gravel, nor mud, nor sand, but it's great.
the pure black color that turns into that soil type that isn't gravel, nor mud, nor sand, but it's great.
layout opinion
layout opinion
Revenge is never full, it kills the soul and poisons. (By Seu Madruga)
Fermmoylle

Post by Fermmoylle »

Santana 2.0 wrote:Even though I had already downloaded, I've only read now that you asked for advices. So, I putted on my critic glasses :ugeek: and get to work (and I've already messed with those tracks I've told you, on my old pc, which I'll be near again during the Carnival :yummy: )
Of course! Critics are always welcome. I'll try to explain my reasoning when possible, multiquoting you. :-)
Santana 2.0 wrote:I know that finding the balance between the exact layout and some deformations to suit the turns is difficult, but the sequences T1-T2, Cauda da onça e T16-Cotovelo would benefit from some deformation (the Anzol too, but there isn't space, GR problems...).
Check this image. It's the official masterplan found on the circuit's website. I based my whole layout using this.
Santana 2.0 wrote:You could use more of the pure black color (at least, in my Paint editions, that's the color) in the ambient. It's the gravel terrain WITHOUT the little stones (it ISN'T mud and it doesn't appear in the GR Track Editor, maybe in the Snake it shows up?). From what I'm seeing in an updated satellite photo, there's lot of this terrain type. You could change at least half of your grass with it. Since there's a layer of grass around the tarmac, you could try a Losail approach, it usually ends beautifully.
No, it doesn't show on SnakEditor, but I know the color... and never used it. As there are 3 unused colors in the palette, I never thought about using them.
Santana 2.0 wrote:Another thing is the stands that you putted on the last sector. They mount temporary stands for the race? Because I can't see any and this kind of thing annoys me a little, just a personal taste :? .
You could change the stands in the pit area for the Office Block (short) of the editor, or use a BUNCH of Gates to make a "roof".
That said, you can improve the area behind the pit. put some good tarmac and fill with people, trucks, the kind of thing competition brings.
The stands are there since I've followed the masterplan (linked above) -- I dislike them too, but I was trying to be as faithful as possible. That also guided me when I was working on the pit area and similar stuff (as you can see, if you super-impose the masterplan over the track I've made, even the trees are more or less in the same position).
Another note: I find the gates-over-stands thing horrible, as I can't see them as roofed stands. It's a personal thing, I know, but I really don't like them.
Santana 2.0 wrote:Last but not least, use https://www.google.com.br/intl/pt-BR/earth/ for the HMap. Google Earth shows the sea level height in meters (Google Maps doesn't show, and it's quite difficult to measure this without the numbers). Thanks to this I could already see some cool elevation changes (nothing enormous, but I love ANY elevation change :D ).
Wow! Never thought of using Google Earth for this. What I did was to watch a few on-board videos so I could try my best guess at the elevation changes. It's not a plain circuit, but I couldn't find anything major (what I saw I included in the track). But I may revisit this track later after checking Cgoogle Earth.
Santana 2.0 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I liked the track and already updated my GR folders, just pointing out things that I loved when people pointed me, because helping each other is for what this community still exists, right?
Sure thing! Thanks a lot for your critic! It gave me food for thought. :-)
Santana 2.0

Post by Santana 2.0 »

Man, I've wrote a cool reply and my cellphone obscured the "post" button... not cool... trying again:

The masterplan is beautiful, and I can understand why you've only used him since it's easier to differentiate the terrain and objects in regards to satellite photos. The latter are still my preference for looks, but I can accept styles :bg:

The only thing I maintain is that there are room for cool things behind the pit with a little creative freedom.
The first chicane layout, too.

Alas, as we all could see with your Velo Citta, you've already improved, so I'm hyped for another "full track" from amidst your beautiful minis and so.

:D
Fermmoylle

Post by Fermmoylle »

Santana 2.0 wrote:Alas, as we all could see with your Velo Citta, you've already improved, so I'm hyped for another "full track" from amidst your beautiful minis and so. :D
What you mean by "minis"? Do you think World Size 140 is not enough?
Santana 2.0

Post by Santana 2.0 »

Not at all. It's just because my personal preference is +180. Just preferences.
I've only made one "mini" in my entire life, and it was just a club circuit inside another GP style. (But I've loved the zoom)
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Your circuits looks great already. But I feel you will take them a step forward. :)