GeneRally Database

Miscellaneous worthy stuff, which will make your GR experience even more special.
Kikwik

GeneRally Database

Post by Kikwik »

Hello guys ! :)

Welcome to the GeneRally Database !

Why ?

Seeing all those personnal and official websites crashing little by little, I was very sad to lose all this historical GR creations, and wanted to save them as much as possible, browsing every GR website still online to keep it in a Database, which is available for anyone who wants to have the pleasure to retrieve his old tracks, or to discover them.

What ?

All GR-related ; tracks, cars, palettes, tools, tutorials, etc, etc. Thanks to people like Crono, Egamad and Tuomoh (and many others as well), I was able to retrieve the maximum of GR history. Of course, credits will be given in a readme, to all who contributed to make this project possible.

What's the current state ?

I consider it finished.

Of course, there are always some work on it ; sorting unknown folders, download the remaining tracks, cars and misc from the web, and so on. Have to make a screenshot for all cars and tracks... But at the current state it's mostly done.

Want some help ?

First thanks if you want to ! :bsmile: With the Database, there's a 'To do list', with all the work remaining to polish the GeneRally Database. It's only if you want. Also if you're a track or car maker and see a mistake, or want to help to recognise some of your tracks, we will be very pleased as your help will be precious.

Link to the GR Database

You may retrieve it easily at the new GR wiki (I can't give a direct link, as the rules of the forum don't allow me to do so) :

https://gene-rally.fandom.com/wiki/GeneRally_Wiki

For newcomers, I created a GeneRally Awards List where they can find all Trackmasters, Carmasters and Wizards to download quickly and easily high quality content for GeneRally without the assle of searching through the whole database without a proper knowledge of the GR community.

Link to the GeneRally Awards List

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Following what BBA - Bouncebackability and Black Rebel made in the past, I created an updated Real Life Tracks List where you may find all real world tracks [rwl] made for GeneRally since the beginning, or at least the known ones. Also, some tracks missing from BBA's list were retrieved, and it's regularly updated.

Link to the Real Life Tracks List

Based on Hormous GR Stages Encyclopedia this Excel sheet list all rally stages worth racing on.

Link to the GR Stages Encyclopedia

I added a "Trackmakers worth to check" list to the Database, to provides a decent and reasonable list of track creators names for an easier and better research in the Database, putting aside too old/crappy/outdated tracks at most. Link below :

Trackmakers worth to check list

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WqD ... igK6Q/edit

Please tell me if I made any mistake, if there's improvements to be made, if there is a problem graphically, or if you have a comment please feel free to do so. Thanks in advance ! :bsmile:
Last edited by Kikwik on Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
FRUKIScze

Re: GeneRally Database

Post by FRUKIScze »

Show me your "to do list" and if it's something easy to do, I may help.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Check your PM. ;)

Thanks again to offer your help FRUKIScze ! :hug:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello everyone, here's some news :

2003 is completely sorted and 2002 is on the way. I'm at the letter B and more than 1900 tracks remaining... I got a little fed up by all those tracks, there's sooooo much ! :faintgirl: :lol:

But it's the last big straight and the finish line is clearly visible. :rally:

I created the track section already, with all ToM, ToY, PoY, Mini Remix, JETP, JTE, updates of original GR tracks, Rabina brothers tracks also, not the official ones, etc etc...

It will be completed when my sorting task will be finished.

More on the way, see you ! :squid:

Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Surely that's something very big and helpful :boat: ...looking forward for updates! :read:
Elharter

Post by Elharter »

Where can we find this database?
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Check your PM please. ;)

For news, here's what's done so far on the sorting task for 2002 :
A, B, C, D, E, Q, U, V, W, X, Y, Z tracks are done sorting. The others are on the way.

It will be worth the waiting since I got more than 1200 trackmakers on my folders and lot of trackmakers which we can't find anymore on the web ready to be uploaded.

Let's continue my little work... :goodvibes:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

The track sorting task is finally finished ! ... (Me after all this sorting task-> :stretcher: ) :lol:

So if you already have the link to the Database you may check it again, as I also updated the cars section as well.

And if you don't have it yet, what are you waiting for ?!? :P

Please PM me and I will give it to you. ;)

I dedicated a lot of time and effort in it, but it may happen that some tracks are not in the right folder, not dedicated to the right author, or any other mistakes. So please excuse me by advance if it happens to you personnally as an author or anyone else. If it's the case, please tell me.

Also I want to excuse me in advance if you're not in the Database ; it's not like I don't want you in the Database ever. I was not one-sided in my sorting task, apart for sexual content that I deleted immediately (I don't think it may be included in the GR history ever and I don't think that you really want to see horrible pixelised colorless semi-nude womens or ugly penis, apart if you have some taste toward those things, if it's the case I don't want to meet you :talkth: ). I just didn't downloaded your work yet. It may be more understandable by the amount of work already provided in this task, and I hope you will understand better. If you want to be in, please make a package of all you have done, send it to me and I will add you to the Database. Simple. :)

Now you will excuse me again, I want to take a break... Need... a... break ! :hcammpers:

And of course the most important thing...

Enjoy !!! :yipee:
Last edited by Kikwik on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Starting uploading my bucket load of tracks onto my google drive, yet to sort 'm though. End result should be roughly 2450 tracks, have yet to kick some unfinished stuff out though...
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello Txizzle,

It's been more than a week now, what's the progress of uploading your trackpack ?

I'm not in a hurry don't worry, only wanted some news from you and I'm curious of what you have. :sweatdrop:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Wanted to update the state of GR Database so here it is (you can see all those updates in GR Database as well), from most recent updates to earlier updates :

28/10/2019 :
. Upload of the GeneRally Database. Hurray !!! ^^

29/10/2019 :
. Added Docs in Misc. Retrieved some old archives from 2003 era. Pretty useless for most of us, but those who played GeneRally in this era will bring them a lot of memories.
. Added french language updated to 1.2d by Kikwik (most of the work was made before me by KnOx)

30/10/2019 :
. Added Tracks section, incomplete at the moment but you will find all the official tracks like ToM, Joint Effort Projects, tracks from Rabina brothers (other ones than the official ones), a first Unknown folder from Crono's pack and many more.
. Sorting task : 2003 is done sorting, now it's 2002.

02/11/2019 :
. Uploaded the remaining tracks from the Tracks section.
. Updated Cars section (stopped sorting in the Unknown folder on the 04/2004. Must be continued until 2002 and various folder as well.

08/11/2019 :
Updated tracks section with missing JETP and missing tracks from BBA.

30/01/2020 :
. Cars section fully sorted !
. Updated Addons section.
. Minor corrections in Tracks section. Updated new released tracks from GRIF.
. Added new OlafK Formula Font.
. Added Gzehoo member in both Cars and Tracks section.

For each significant update, I will make a new post here. It will not be often though... :sweatdrop:

And again don't hesitate to ask me by PM for the link. I didn't receive many PM since the launch of the Database, don't be afraid. :nod:

Have a nice day guys, see you ! :wave:

MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

Don't know if this was intended, but bluenoseandproud and Lukeno94 are the same person, but have different folders.

There are 2 tracks in my folder that, I believe, aren't mine (Vale Geada and Vale Alecrim) and 1 of my track as someone else's folder (Koukwig)

I'm surprised by how many of my old tracks I could find there. The only major track project missing is Vuschwer Rally, I believe. I only have the ~2013 version, where some tracks were reworked, but the original ~2009 pack I couldn't find anywhere. There was the Vuschwer car too, that was reworked by Lukeno94 at some point. I don't have it anymore either. It was used in the Vuschwer Rally Championship, won by Hermes.

Anyway, thanks for this database. It is great! :bg:
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

My bad, I look at it and effectively it was not intended that way. I fixed it already, plus the incorrect tracks in your folder are fixed also, as well for Koukwig, sorry for this. (I gave you credits in the changelog)

I'm happy that you rediscovered a lot of your tracks. If you manage to grab the remaining ones as Vuschwer Rally, I will add it with pleasure to the Database. Edit : Done, thanks !

You're welcome and I'm the one to thank you too, because you are the first to give me back a comment after having a look on the Database and to fix your folder as the author of your creations, plus helping me to fix another ones as well. So I really appreciate, thanks again ! :bg:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Update of the GR Database (yeah i'm still working on it :D )

. Competitions folder added. May be more complete in the future but you will have all PGR related competitions along with GRPL competitions (last one very soon). Its goal is to let anyone rediscover or revive some competitions they may have participated in and have a nostalgic vibe. :goodvibes:

. Backup folder added. Those are the original packs of my sorted work. Anyone can check them. (By the way, the 5600-5700+ pack have to be resorted again because I was biased doing it back then, if someone have the courage to do so he's much welcome. However, don't worry if you don't want to do so)

. Light updates of folders, tracks, cars, misc and so on. All details in the Changelog. Added also a Credit and thanks readme for those who helped me in the process.

Again if you want to help, want to tell me something which have to be fixed, suggestions or anything related to the database, feel free to post here. :)

See you !

Plaxic

Post by Plaxic »

Wow. Tonight I was browsing random things on the internet and decided to check on the current status of GeneRally like I do every couple months. I haven't played for over a decade now but from time to time I like to see if anything has changed. Usually it just makes me sad because the game is very inactive and GR2 never came out. But tonight I was very pleasantly surprised to find your work on this 'Generally DB'. I finally created an account on this website just to write this post.

I was a member of the RSC forums under the name 27puMp back in the mid-2000s and submitted a couple dozen cars and tracks to the site. Nothing amazing but I got some ToM nominations. In fact I went back to that site a few years ago and recovered 3 of my tracks and put them on my Gdrive. I figured that was all I would ever see again, but I saw several other tracks of mine in your database, including those 3 ToM tracks! Very cool. I can't remember much about the cars I created, but I did find 2 of mine in your 'to sort' folder:

GeneRally Database\Cars\- Unknown Carmaker\To sort\SSC_Ultimate_Aero_TT.car
GeneRally Database\Cars\- Unknown Carmaker\To sort\Fleetwood RV.car

Both of those cars were made by me. Probably some others in this folder as well but I cannot remember. The Fleetwood RV was actually a request by Rich Nagel that I obliged.

Around the same time I played GR, I was also very active in the Counter-Strike community, and made several maps that are still played today, under the name Plaxic. Like with GR, I stopped playing in 2008 and deleted everything. I returned to the game in late 2017 and I began a project of archiving some of the history of the game, a project which I am still slowly working on and may never finish. Your project is significantly more comprehensive than mine, and maybe you have inspired me to bring my collection online so other interested people can join in. I have no idea how you got as many files as you have. I remembered a bunch of car and track creators from the RSC era and you have a lot of their stuff. Stuff I haven't seen in over 10 years. So, from one archivist to another, congratulations and thank you :bg:. I just downloaded your entire GR DB archive from GDrive for my own storage.

I have no plans to return to making content for GR or even to playing the game, but I wish I had something to contribute to this project! Sometime around 2007 I actually went through the entire RSC car subforum and downloaded every car file ever submitted, and then I posted stats about the totals in a forum post. It would have been nice to still have these archives but I deleted them long ago alongside all my other GR stuff including my own works.
Plaxic/27puMp/Unknown #27
Active Generallyer ~2004-2008
https://steamcommunity.com/id/focusandrew
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello 27puMp, nice to meet you ! :)

I remember your name, and it's a pleasure to see you around. :shaking:

For the Database, you're much welcome, and thanks to show your gratefulness and appreciation. That means a lot for me. Good luck for your archiving project ! :bg:

Also, I was not alone for this task ; egamad, TuomoH, Crono, Alex, RudyOosterndijk, and many others helped me to bring back this GR History back and safe.

Your cars are now sorted, thanks for your help !
I have no plans to return to making content for GR or even to playing the game, but I wish I had something to contribute to this project!
You already did ! You helped me to sort your cars, and even if you think it's little, if everybody do like you, the database would be near fully sorted by now. So thanks again !

Have a nice day ! :bsmile:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Wanted to tell you an important information : I will not update anymore the GR Database.

I will not remove it, as many of you check it, so be reassured about this.

Also if someone is interested to host the GR database on another Google Drive or something else, please contact me. I would be really interested, as I would delete the actual GR Database afterward and would put the new link here.

Thanks for your attention.

BrianH

Post by BrianH »

Hi Kikwik, nice job with all the sorting! Where can I find the database?
If you need someone else to host it, I have free space on Drive but I don't know how many GB we're talking about.

Edit: I've found the link! Offer on hosting still stands :bg:
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello BrianH ! :)

Thanks a lot for your offer ! I made the mistake to put it on my personal Drive space instead of creating a new one specifically for GeneRally.

I would be really grateful that you host it for me, so if you want to go ahead do it please, and also please share the link with me only by PM (as this forum don't allow to share some of the lost content of this game). Then I'll put your link on the GR Wikipedia (link of the first post) and contact Alex to tell him about the changes and to see with you if he's always interested about editing the GR Database, as he was doing it.

I'm waiting for you, thanks again ! :bsmile:

BrianH

Post by BrianH »

Sure! Check your PMs.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

I'm happy to announce that BrianH take over the GR Database on a new adress available in the same link in the first post. If you have the old one, please check the new one above.

Thanks BrianH to let keep the history of GR available for everyone ! :bg:

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello there ! :wave:

I updated the Database until the 31/12/2021.

I also added a GeneRally Awards List where newcomers especially will be able to download quickly and easily high quality content for GR.

Adding also a Real World Tracks List based on BBA one. I need to setup it and then I will update it. It may take some time though. And to be completely honest will not finish it. I just had an urge to do something useful (I hope it did somehow) and it ended to be GR related. Link of the Real Work Tracks List in the first post.

In fact it's finished. :sweatdrop: Hope you'll find it useful.

I had as well an idea of adding the Rally Stage list based on Hormous list but right now I'm focusing on the previous list.

Hope it helps and that there's still interest into this.

Take care everyone. :hug:

Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Good to hear! My uploading stuff back then (somewhere in 2019) never took off properly. Might delve through your RL stuff though, to see if i have stuff missing or vice versa.
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Thanks a lot Kikwik! These kind of works are hyper-useful for the community, they makes everything clearer.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

You're welcome Hormous and glad you like it ! :goodvibes:

I was planning to make a Real Life Cars List too but wow it's a real mess to sort them and there's a lot of them too. Wanted to make only competition car packs first (F1, WRC, Nascar, etc) but it's difficult to sort them ; by years, by manufacturers ? Also some packs have a lot of different cars or from different era in. And some are just global representation of real cars, but not the real thing, not affiliated with any team or era. And I'm not a car fanatic so I may be wrong while sorting them.

Any tips are welcome at this point. :?

Out of curiosity, I was adding old competitions gamepacks to the Database as well. Some are really well made, are thematised and already set. I was thinking : "It would be great to have already set gamepacks like that for real life competitions or other themes like horses, F-Zero etc. It would allow anyone to quickly have eveything they searched for and wanted in one download, ready to play. But I don't know if it's possible regarding permissions, or if it's enough to give credits to the respective authors. I would not change anything to the tracks, cars etc, would only gather them into one package.

To make it clearer :
For example, Someone want to play GR with F1 1964 and all tracks of the season. So I make a clean GR folder and gather all tracks of the 1964 F1 season from various authors, added 1964 F1 cars from 1 author, add a palette, sounds from different authors, etc. Settings ready, put in a zip file with credits in a readme and the one who wants to play F1 1964 in GR would simply download this gamepack. One download. No need to search and download everywhere.

Would it be better ? Good idea ? Bad idea, bad Kikwik, very bad ? :D

To Txizzle : It will be a pleasure to add anything to the list if it's missing. Also I know BBA didn't took some tracks that are named from real life tracks as they have only the name, and sometimes it's a fictional or inspired track. And I know too that BBA took even the badly made real life tracks so don't be afraid to add it to the list. I'm sure it's intended to encourage better trackmaker or anyone really to make a better track to replace it asap. :D