GR History Treasure Hunters : a GR webzine

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Kikwik

GR History Treasure Hunters : a GR webzine

Post by Kikwik »

Hello guys ! :bsmile:

I wanted to share my discoveries when I sorted all those tracks and cars to create the GeneRally Database, as I stumbled across some very neat ones. I think it's a shame that they're totally unknown for most of us, so I had the idea to create a webzine : "GeneRally History : Treasure Hunters" ! :goal: :D
GeneRally History - Treasure Hunters Logo.PNG
GeneRally History : Treasure Hunters

And like you will see inside, you are free to do the same if you want, or tell me about any grammatical mistakes or anything else.

I hope it wil be interesting enough for you and also appealing visually speaking (tried my best)... :sweatdrop:

Maybe there will be more, I don't know... :roll:

Enjoy ! :goodvibes:

Edit : As I keep creating them, I found it difficult to upload it here due to size limitations, and I can't cut my zip all the time. So I created a Google Drive repertory where you can find in pdf each issue of the webzine. It will be more convenient for you and for me as well. Each time a new issue will be released, I will announce it in this thread by a new post. So you only have a single link, this one above, to retrieve all the webzines, the old and the new ones. Thanks for those who already downloaded them before !
Last edited by Kikwik on Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
rainbowquest

Re: GR History Treasure Hunters : a GR webzine

Post by rainbowquest »

Hello,

Thank you for this piece of nostalgy.
I 'll really appreciate to read it.
The graphics are really cool It reminds me old 2000's websites, colorful with big frames.
I'll discovered really good and unusual tracks.
I will be very pleased to read the number two as soon as it will be available.
Thanks a lot.
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

Well, that was a really interesting read. It is pretty cool to see the difference in style from each creator and see it changing/developing.
Looking forward to this! :bg:
Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Kikwik! You are making this place sweeter with this idea! :D Your database is so big and difficult to handle, specially for someone like me which is relatively new here, so the discovery webzine is great! :bg:
About old trackmakers sometimes they surprise me with amazing tracks, despite some evident limitations they still could looks contemporay, but as you said about Jayson Bocook's works, those tracks tends to have large roads and big world sizes which, sadly, don't looks so modern.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks a lot guys for your kind comments, really ! :shy:

I was afraid to have a not so good graphics and to not be as deeper in my analysis as I should, but you make me more confident to continue.

It's always hard to analyse someone's work. Sometimes we may only give few vaguely impressions, other times we may be too much technical. Sometimes we may be biased. So I really put efforts to be balanced in my analysis, and to remains nice to read before you begin to be bored. :sweatdrop:

I find it so interesting to do, though ! Discovering so much tracks and cars and other stuff from the past... Sharing it with you too !

Curiosity, curiosity, where will you may take me along next time ? :P

By the way, I don't know how it happens but here's the second issue of GR History : Treasure Hunters #2 - Link at the first post

Don't take the habit to have it so quickly though ! :rofl:

I hope you will enjoy this second issue as much as the first one. Good reading ! :bsmile:

@Hormous : Totally agree with you, it may take only few minor corrections reducing the size of their tracks to have an instant fun with these old goodies nowadays ! But as they are, it's seems outdated a bit.
For the GeneRally Database, I thought a long time how I may sort the works of each one : By categories (circuit, stunt, rally, for, lmp, ...) ? By dates ? By names ?
I found it more convenient even if its still chaotic to sort them by names, as we know for most of them that they made some of our favorite type of tracks and we will be sure to find them there or because we love their style and we want all the tracks of the same author. Also with pictures for each cars and tracks it will be better plus some tags on each one of them to make research more efficient but I don't have the will to put so much time on this.
I'm happy that a lot of people like you use the Database, the work behind it was worth it. :)
Last edited by Kikwik on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowquest

Post by rainbowquest »

Thanks for this new issue.
No problems for the 3 parts, that's remind me when i have to split my files to get them into floppy disks.I'm getting old :D
mickymax69

Post by mickymax69 »

Hello Kikwik,
What a courageous and gread idea! :bg:
I rediscovered the work of jason Bocook which I forgot. I remenber I used a lot his tracks, so funny, one of my best trackmaker.

Don't be too hard on yourself, what is important is your sight of their work, and your presentation, what we call : your style! :D as everybody has its own point of view and preferences.
Thanks for that good and pleasant work.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Issue #3, #4 and #5 are released !

You may take them at the usual place, link at first post.

You're welcome, and thanks again for your comments. :)

@mickymax69 : I'm glad that my project pleased you and brought you some memories back. And thanks for your kind and encouraging words. :shy:

09/02/2020 : Issue #6 is released !

Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

WOW Kikwik! It´s amazing how much effort you have put into this. Thank you very much!
It´s great to see how many amazing tracks and other things have been created in the past for Generally.

It´s actually a shame to see how great it once has been and how the community is declining now.
I hope the developers of GR2 see this with tears in their eyes!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Issue #7 released !

You're welcome Scholl, I'm so glad that it's pleasing everyone here. And I will quote exactly what Raska said in the "Eye-candies and mythical works..." :
I just thought we should bring that back... Mainly for motivating the eventuals new members and to maintain the passion around our beloved game. :gr:

So, post here the eye-candy and mythical works of the community. Everything that made you love GR. Only rules it has to be a picture and give the credit to the authors. :bg:

PS: With all the fantastics works we have (on the ToM site, on our HD) and as long as we are together :ghug: , the :gr: community will live for long !

And for bringing back some stories in the same time. The idea is to motivate the new members/visitors to join us and to share some good memories.

So it was already done, but I wanted to give it a new start with a new shape. :)

Agree with you about the community, and GR is quite old now, it doesnt' help much to attract some new players. GR2 would surely make a new start for new and old players altogether, plus if the track and car editor were more user-friendly, creations would flow like a tsunami and revive what was a great and frankly kind community. I have really fond memories here, and that's a reason why I came back again. :love:

I think GR2 developers don't care now. At least, we would like some news, even if they do a little. Is it dead ? is it always in progress ? Do they want some help ? Some paid for GR2 to come, I think it's fair for them to have at least some news. And others like me are willing to pay to play it. I really don't understand Rabina brothers for their game to meet such a success and don't care at all about it, and GR2 developers who don't give any informations about game's development. It's really weird, there must be a reason to it. :shake3:

Only my :2c: here. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, thanks again Scholl ! :bsmile:

Paw

Post by Paw »

Great work Kikwik. Generally always made me think of artistic expresion and creativity, it has to be celebrated, and you're doing it in remarkable way.
Nostalgia hit me when I recognized some of those tracks and remembered times, when I worked on, IIRC, my first JE track together with PitbullFIN (Sunbelt City - Joint Effort 55).
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Hello Paw ! :)

Thanks, I'm really glad that you liked it and that you posted here. Always a pleasure to see old GR members !

I'm agree with you, Generally is a wonderful sandbox, where creativity of each one could be unleashed and I wanted to share those great creations with everyone. I do my best to do so.

Must have been a great experience to participate to a JE. Plus with PitbullFIN, cool ! :bg:

Sorry everyone if I didn't posted anything since a while, I was much occupied those days (GR-related things like working on my nano tracks pack, the database, participate in my first competition at GRPL and other things in life) but I didn't abandoned this webzine. I have to find some time to do it. So maybe there will be more, plus seeing all your nice comments, and that is goal is fulfilled is really encouraging to continue.

Don't know when though. :P

TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Wow, this is excellent! :bg: I saw that you already posted in the goodbye thread but really hope at some point there will be more of these. Hats off to you, sir! :hattip:
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks Tuomoh, I'm glad that you like it ! :bsmile:

And sorry, yes I would like to do more, there was matter for until issue #11 but I deleted all this preparation by now, with my motivation. Also in my last post, I gave some hope and finally I can't continue anymore, so sorry for this also.

It's hard to keep up something in the long time, no matter what may happen, and as interesting as it is.

At least, it was created, and I'm really happy that lot of people including you were pleased by this modest webzine. :shy:

Thanks again ! :)