[mic] [oth] [tpk] Nano tracks

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Kikwik

[mic] [oth] [tpk] Nano tracks

Post by Kikwik »

Hello guys ! :)

It's a thread entirely dedicated to WS 25 tracks, the most little size available for a track in GR.

Why the pain may you ask ? Why not making decent drive-able tracks instead of this ?

I make these nano tracks mainly because I fell in love with them thanks to TuomoH's nano tracks he have made some years ago. I found it surprisingly fun and pleasant despite the extreme little size of it.

So my goal is to make a whole universe of WS 25 tracks, with all the theme possible. :goal:

I hope you will like them, and if it's not no problem, matter of taste. ;) I just want to share them with you and if you fell in love with those cute tracks like me, well I'll be happy ! :bsmile:

The trackpack of all nano tracks released so far (will be updated if another one is released, so don't be blocked by the fact it may be near 0 downloads ; it just means it was updated ;) Thanks to all who have downloaded the trackpack) :
Nano trackpack.zip
(582.81 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

I wanted to do something to celebrate the 5th issue of GeneRally History : Treasure Hunters. So I thought about making a micro track, or nano track as it's only WS 25.

The idea of this track was already in my head from a while now, but never came to anything good, until now.

So I'm happy to give you Popcorn !
Popcorn.jpg
Popcorn.zip
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

Want some popcorn ? Do you want some fun with it ? With a pinch of chaos... Served ! Here you are mister, and of course it's free. Enjoy ! :popcorn: (can't find more appropriate smiley !)

Only for a fun moment with friends or AI, with Mini cars of course. Also this idea come from guinea pigs who, when they're happy (and that's my case now :D ), make small jumps on the spot like a wild bull. We said that they popcorning ! :goodvibes:

My goal is to make a trackpack of delicious tracks like this, so I will post here anything new I will create. At the end, I will not forget to make a trackpack on this first post to be more convenient.

Of course, if there's anything to fix, please tell me. :)

:popcorn:
Last edited by Kikwik on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
Kikwik

[mic] [oth] BumperCars

Post by Kikwik »

Another nano track (WS 25) but with a different theme than the delicious previous one :
BumperCars.gif
BumperCars.zip
(69.55 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Again a track for fun, Bumper cars !

Alone with AI or with friends, bumping into each other is always satisfying ! :D

4 versions : 2 versions to bump into each other without reasons (one with the floor in grey, the other one in black) and 2 oval racing versions like some bumper cars was made back in time (again, one with the floor in grey the other one black).

Made for Minis as always, and always be like this one for next tracks since Minis are the tiniest cars of GeneRally, unless it's a water track or a rc one or anything else.

I promise I will not only doing oval tracks. :sweatdrop:

I also changed the title of the topic, since I want to do more of them in the future.

I know these tracks are not something you like the most, but I found it challenging to create and have a lot of pleasure doing them, so I will try to continue doing some. :bsmile:

For those who like it, enjoy ! :)

Edit : Thanks to Strava, the bumper car is back in GR ! It's on the GR Database in Cars, Strava. You'll find his wonderful bumper tracks he made years ago too. Enjoy !
Bumper cars.gif
Last edited by Kikwik on Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MidnightRunner

Re: [mic] [oth] Nano tracks

Post by MidnightRunner »

I like how all the cars pop up once you start the race in Popcorn. :)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

@MidnightRunner : I wanted to stay in the theme even with the starting positions ! :D Thanks for the reply, much appreciated ! :bsmile:

Another nano track, Little Woody :
Little Woody.png
Little Woody.zip
(38.6 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
It's a micro wooden rollercoaster ! :hyper:

Since a very long time I wanted to make one but never be able to. But today is the day. I put extreme hmap to be more fun, and there are no protections so try to stay on the track ! ;)

It's intended to be played for time trial only or with a human friend, because AI sucks here and there is no more room for more than 2 cars, because the station is too small (if you have already played to Rollercoaster Tycoon, you know what I'm talking about).

At least, it's not an oval ! :P

I really searched hard to find a solution for the lack of protections but with some road cones for example it's near unplayable and ugly, so I left the track like this. But for a WS 25 track doing a rollercoaster, I'm quite happy with the result. :)

Like always, have fun ! :goal:

29.04.2020 : Updated with AI line (AI still sucks, so it's always intended to be played as a time trial or with a friend.).

27.09.2022 : Updated visually adding a chain lift. Nothing changed apart from that, really tried to make a good AI line but Hmap is a bit too extreme here.
Last edited by Kikwik on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Nothing new, nothing original, nothing lmap-wise, only a soccer court in nano size. :)
Babyfoot.jpg
Babyfoot.zip
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

I was working on a dodgeball track, but didn't work well due not because a too little worldsize but because it's not practical to "throw" the ball at your opponent in GR. :vsad:

For next time, I'm planning to do a minigolf with 9 holes (so 9 tracks) or a battle arena (maybe pirates themed !), to stay in the amusement park theme.

See you ! :bsmile:

27.09.2022 : Updated adding a ball in the zip for convenience.
Last edited by Kikwik on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Ahoy matey !! :pirate:

Shipwrecked ! Our cap'n joined Davy Jones' Locker an' only some brave swashbucklers remains... But ye old querrel about rum rises again. Each one of us want to get yer other ones feed the fishes...

Yo-ho-ho, it'll not be me ! :fight:
Shipwrecked!.jpg
Shipwrecked!.zip
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
An original battle arena where you have to push away your "friends". There's a decent AI line if you want little challenge alone. ;)

I didn't wanted it to be squared and surrounded by water all around, it would be weird. So I made a sloppy one instead.

Don't know what I will do next... :scratch:

I feel alone... :kickcan:
Last edited by Kikwik on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Wow, I didn't realize how many tiny tracks you have made during the last couple of days!

They are all fresh, and I can really appreciate all the small details: how the wooden fence boards align with both lamp posts with great accuracy. The security perimeter that seperates the platform from the roller coaster tracks. And of course, as MidnightRunner says, how you make use of GeneRally's numerous flaws and kinks and make them work in your favor.

Also the sheer amount of pixels on such a small area makes for vastly improved LMAPs. Like in Babyfoot (although the circle is still impressively smooth). ;)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks a lot Rudy ! :bsmile:

I like to search for new ways to play GeneRally, to be original as much as possible in my tracks. :jester:

Even if it's seems I quickly made them, I took great care to details as you noticed and take much time doing them (I just have time for the moment). Also the fact that these tracks are so small gives less work on objects because of the lack of space but brings a lot of thinking due to what object must be put in the track.

It's like condensing each type of track or theme to obtain the essence of it.

It's challenging, but rewarding and interesting in my opinion.

And yes more the worldsize is small, more the details are accurate and it's really appreciated. Also the fact that the cars are more visible is a plus.

I know that this type of track is not really suited to racing due to the lack of space but they are meant to be fun, and that's my goal in each one of those tracks. There's a lot of tracks for GeneRally already, maybe more than 10 000, meant to be played as racing them. Fun tracks, on the other hand, are not so many. So between a race, these tracks are great to let off the pressure or to play with friends, just for fun.

I have other ideas, and I hope I will have the time and motivation to continue. :)

:happythanks:

FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I'm amazed how somebody (you, dear Kikwik) can change GR trackmaking into art. Those tracks made me start GR and play just for fun once more. :bsmile:

Quality of both Lmap and Hmap is Jaw-dropping. :shock:

Thank you for your effort Kikwik ! :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
mickymax69

Post by mickymax69 »

Kikwik,
You total crazy!!! :frying pan:
Excellent
traduction : T'es complètement barge!!!
Lol
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks guys ! :bsmile:
@mickymax69 : :lol:

Back in time for a Middle-Age track, Jousting Day !
Jousting Day.png
Jousting Day.zip
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Grilled porks, ridiculous but clever jesters and beautiful ladies to woo...

The new King and his Queen are here too to see your valient efforts to win the golden prize, but they changed the rules ; instead of a duel with spears, it's a pursuit in the contenders. "No more violence", said the Queen.

For 2 players only. Beware, because AI is hard here. Sorry, your rival is a brave and tough noble knight who have been trained since his youngest age to the art of jousting, euh pursuiting. :D

You need to show a genuine noble certificate before joining, claimed by your herald, showing your lineage through 4 generations, to be able to download this track and to compete in this jousting tournament. :nod:

It was a hard one to make because of the track being in diagonal, and the hmap is not smooth at all at this angle. It was a bit tricky... Also the checkpoints were not a piece of cake to make this track a pursuit track.

And grass is really short as hundreds of peasants prepared the jousting court with their scissors in hands, accompanied by nice guards who were here to... encourage them. :mrgreen:

Excuse me, I will join lady Daphne who's asking me to meet her to...

well...

you know...

eat some grilled pork together. :rofl:

27.09.2022 : Updated with fences in the corners for safety and better AI line.
Last edited by Kikwik on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

I love how the King and the Queen may be children sometimes :lol:

Great lmap and hmap work, here and for this project as a whole. :bg:
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [mic] [oth] [tpk] Nano tracks

Post by Scholl »

Great Tracks Kikwik!!!
Keep theim coming!
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Kikwik wrote:Back in time for a Middle-Age track, Jousting Day !
I thought I couldn't be surprised more. And I was horribly wrong. This idea is brilliant and it's executed perfectly. :shock:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks a lot guys ! :bsmile:

In fact, I'm the one surprised because I didn't thought it will pleases you as much. Thanks for the support ! :bg:

@MidnightRunner : Yes, we can imagine lot of things ! For example, in those dark and struggling times, even kings and queens felt unsecure because their children could poison them anytime to take their place. :D Or royalty changed lot of times and there were much cases of dwarfism back in time. :rofl:

Something different but was already made before precisely 3 times, 2 times by Jerrec and 1 time by Giuiba. There was also Hillback Trial by Maciej1 which have the same spirit.

A parkour ! Or a trial, because here you must (yes no choice) use Pokebike by Masa (available in his moto pack, he don't have so much of this kind so you'll find easily ;) )

So I'm happy to give you Pocket Trial :
Pocket Trial.png
Pocket Trial.zip
(66.64 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
It seems hard ?

Yes it is.

Is it impossible ?

No !

But you have to be patient, to slow down a lot, and my advice is that you save frequently until you have enough confidence to do it straight, trying not to fall even once. Try to make a record ! :goal:

I wanted to do a trial but I wondered if I did it in nature or with human-made obstacles. Finally I did both (Well nature is not really here but it's here anyway in bottom left. :sweatdrop: )

I continue my project, little by little. :artist:

27.09.2022 : Updated by removing objects that made this trial track more difficult than it should be. Remade the checkpoints and you can actually finish this track under 60s ! Good luck anyway, you'll need it. :P
Last edited by Kikwik on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Not something incredible but funny to play in this microsize : Demolition Derby ! :cool2:
DemolitionDA.png
DemolitionDC.png
Demolition Derby.zip
(97.69 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
There are 2 files in the zip : one is DemolitionDA, A for Arena, where you can destroy opponents' cars and yours, and DemolitionDC, C for Circuit, where you have to drive into a tiny 8 full of crashes and chaos. :D

It's better to have 35% damage on those ones, for a better Demolition Derby experience.

Have fun, see you ! :)

27.09.2022 : Updated DemolitionDC especially AI line and adding sunk tires to the track to make sure AI cars do the race properly, wasn't the case before.
Last edited by Kikwik on Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Pocket Trial is amazing. :bg: Even though I didn´t make it after about attempts. :sweatdrop:

Anyways it shows again what´s possible with a little game like Generally!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks Scholl ! :bsmile:

Yes GeneRally is limited only by our imagination, it's crazy what we can do with it.

Talking about crazy...

I'm proud to announce you the first restaurant of GeneRally : Eat My Dust !
Eat My Dust.jpg
Eat My Dust.zip
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Our waitresses will serve you well. In fact, you are a waitress and there are other ones to make the service too. So quick, do your job and if someone bother you, slap him in the face ! Good service ! :D

It's best used with Haruna's Mech-Hisui for the waitress. It's again full of chaos in the service but what can we do ? :P

And yes, they eat standing. Did you saw anyone in GeneRally sitting apart from the drivers in their cars ? No ? Because there's always action and sitting is a waste of time, even for eating !
Great excuse Kikwik, great excuse... :D

If particles are too big, you may reduce the effects in the advanced options.

Have fun ! That's what these tracks are intended to be ! :bsmile:

Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Damn, that is one of the funniest approaches i've come across when it comes to philosophy behind the creation of a track. xD
To finish first, first you have to finish!
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

This is pure (low-poly) art! :shock:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Love them, love them, love them! This is absolutely fantastic job. :hattip: As you know, I've always enjoyed a different approach to GeneRally and here you've accomplished well the task of making small pieces of art that are at the same time drivable.

Then some detailed comments:
  • The restaurant is adorable - I didn't even remember there was a waitress "car" around. :D Need to download that, I guess.
  • For the rollercoaster, that's a clever use of the pit limiters. I love the crowd waiting for their ride. The fact that you didn't make an AI line means that when someone (like me) uses kilometers for race length, you only get one lap so that's a small minus. ;)
  • It's fun to have another "hardcore" track (that's what at least some of those insanely difficult tracks was called, wasn't it?). I guess I have to download the pokebike as well...
  • The popping car in the pop corn one. :rofl:
  • Shipwrecked! is a great idea. Didn't realize what the idea was when I first started so I plunged head first to the water not to get up again. :D
Did I mention I love them? Hope you make still more. :goodvibes:
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

I'm so happy that you actually love them, since it's you who inspired me to do these ! Thanks a lot TuomoH for your comment ! :bsmile:

For the roller coaster one, I didn't know the lack of AI would cause problems. I remove it because no matter how I changed it, AI was still suicidal and blocked the track with their broken car (despite this accident, people still continue to wait in the queue line to test this ride, fearless guys. :D ). I will upload a new version with AI, but it will still be broken (Upload done !). However it will be possible to do the race with kilometers. Sorry for this. It's crazy how many things we're still learning ! :D

I would be happy to release more of these one day, as I had ton of ideas waiting to be transformed. Now is not the time, but I'm sure I will return to another track making period soon, despite saying goodbye so many times. GR is still attractive and beloved after all those years. :goodvibes:

Plus the fact that those kind of tracks pleased you and others as well (was quite surprised) is really nice, and maybe one day I'll make some new nano tracks again. :roll:
Last edited by Kikwik on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Don't worry about the rollercoaster AI. :) It was more of a remark so that you know if (when :flip: ) you make more tracks.
alecaus

Post by alecaus »

What an AWESOME tracks! Congrats!! :bg:
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks alecaus ! (and sorry for the late replay, but really appreciate that those nanotracks pleased you :) )

Another comeback, it will become a running gag at this point. :sweatdrop:

But I will make myself way less tied with GeneRally for sure. :meditate:

So what's new from Kikwik the crazy kiwi ? Well I wanted to create what GeneAlex made many years ago (but was lost unfortunately), something in the same vein as his Sumo Wars. Similar to Battle Royale. But in nano size ! :goal:

So here's Serpent's Pit :

Serpent's Pit.png
Serpents Pit.zip
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Nothing great artwise but great fun with friends for elimination : fall in the pit and the white kingsnakes will take good care of you. :misch: (Yes it's white kingsnakes with a little bit... a lot ? of imagination. That way those who are afraid of snakes are not really afraid of those. They can imagine other things instead. Smart and kind, isn't it ? :D )

About the making of this track : I wanted first to make a real sumo ring but it was a little bland with only sand and dust. Plus I tried to make the rice straw bales that delimit it with sunk tires and stones but when pushed, cars don't go over ; you have to go over yourself but it's not the goal. Then I started to make a desert ring like I already used sand and dust, with heavy Hmap to prevent the fallen players to come back on the ring. And voilà ! :bsmile:

AI lines are there but they're quite lame. When it's nanosize they seems lost ; they don't have the habit poor guys. :D

Updated the big pack at first post too. Hope you'll enjoy it with friends (or more probably alone but hey, better than nothing :P )