Screen Resolution Problem

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Duckmeister

Screen Resolution Problem

Post by Duckmeister »

Hello, I haven't played this game in forever, so I just recently downloaded on my brand new computer. I don't know if any of you remember from the past forums, but if you do, hello!

Basically, my problem is that when I go into the options, I cannot select any resolution besides 640x480. I looked at the FAQ and it said to change the memory detect setting to my graphics card's RAM. I have a Radeon HD 5970 with 2GB of VRAM, so I enter that as 2097152 in the setting. The problem is that it still won't select any resolution above 640x480.

If any of you can help me, that would be great. I've also tried 1GB values, and 512mb values, and neither of them worked. Thanks in advance.
thegreatfalcon

Re: Screen Resolution Problem

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Duckmeister wrote:Hello, I haven't played this game in forever, so I just recently downloaded on my brand new computer. I don't know if any of you remember from the past forums, but if you do, hello!

Basically, my problem is that when I go into the options, I cannot select any resolution besides 640x480. I looked at the FAQ and it said to change the memory detect setting to my graphics card's RAM. I have a Radeon HD 5970 with 2GB of VRAM, so I enter that as 2097152 in the setting. The problem is that it still won't select any resolution above 640x480.

If any of you can help me, that would be great. I've also tried 1GB values, and 512mb values, and neither of them worked. Thanks in advance.
Seen this problem many times without always knowing the answer but I think it may be caused by Vista or Win7. You could try to delete the "Options.set" file from GR's directory and run the game again but I don't think It'll change many things...

BTW, HD 5970??? :shock: Awesome!!! :D I'd be happy to know more "HERE"
Duckmeister

Post by Duckmeister »

The Great Falcon wrote: Seen this problem many times without always knowing the answer but I think it may be caused by Vista or Win7. You could try to delete the "Options.set" file from GR's directory and run the game again but I don't think It'll change many things...

BTW, HD 5970??? :shock: Awesome!!! :D I'd be happy to know more "HERE"
Yeah, I'm running on Windows 7. I tried deleting Options.set and that didn't help anything, but thanks for the suggestion.

I just got a new comp, got all of the parts separately and built it myself from scratch. HD 5970 on an overclocked Core i7 920 @3.5GHz. Way less expensive than getting a prebuilt, too.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Duckmeister wrote:I just got a new comp, got all of the parts separately and built it myself from scratch. HD 5970 on an overclocked Core i7 920 @3.5GHz. Way less expensive than getting a prebuilt, too.
I like to do this too but I have way modest computer... Check out the thread I pointed out :bg: I'd over clock a little if I had some of this Corsair's Liquid cooling stuff... Don't know if you seen it...

And yet, problems related to Win7 or Vista are often strangely resolvable... I'm a XP fan so I can't help :shake3:
Duckmeister

Post by Duckmeister »

I've been running it as administrator, and just now I tried running it in compatibility mode for XP and still, no dice.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I had a similar problem when I moved to Win7. Nothing worked for me, but then I copied Options.set from my PC with XP on it, set to my preferred resolution, and it strangely worked. :shake2: It's a bit farfetched, but you can as well try it if nothing else seems to be working. :shrug:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Duckmeister wrote:I've been running it as administrator, and just now I tried running it in compatibility mode for XP and still, no dice.
Why not do the more logical thing: Install Windows XP properly and not in XP mode/XP compatibility? ;)
Duckmeister

Post by Duckmeister »

Lukeno1 wrote:
Duckmeister wrote:I've been running it as administrator, and just now I tried running it in compatibility mode for XP and still, no dice.
Why not do the more logical thing: Install Windows XP properly and not in XP mode/XP compatibility? ;)
Hey, I'm a huge XP fan, but I decided that it's time to let the 9 year old friend go and get with times. I couldn'tve made a better choice. Windows 7 is undeniably awesome. Yes, more awesome than XP.
egamad wrote:I had a similar problem when I moved to Win7. Nothing worked for me, but then I copied Options.set from my PC with XP on it, set to my preferred resolution, and it strangely worked. :shake2: It's a bit farfetched, but you can as well try it if nothing else seems to be working. :shrug:
Mind sending me your options.set file then? Or anyone? My resolution is 1600x1200, heh. My old computer was given to a friend after it was formatted.

Also, I checked the link in your sig, and found that batch file that fixes the weird colors. I also have that problem, so thanks!
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Duckmeister wrote:Mind sending me your options.set file then? Or anyone? My resolution is 1600x1200, heh. My old computer was given to a friend after it was formatted.
:bg:
Attachments
Options.rar
(138 Bytes) Downloaded 313 times
Duckmeister

Post by Duckmeister »

Thanks so much, I just tried the options.set, and no dice, the resolution was still stuck at 640x480. Maybe I should try it with autodetect on and see what goes.

EDIT: Still no dice. Guess this game just doesn't like Windows 7. I wish there was a way I could force the resolution through a third party, but that would make things too messy.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Duckmeister wrote:Thanks so much, I just tried the options.set, and no dice, the resolution was still stuck at 640x480. Maybe I should try it with autodetect on and see what goes.

EDIT: Still no dice. Guess this game just doesn't like Windows 7. I wish there was a way I could force the resolution through a third party, but that would make things too messy.
If you want to have a seek into emulators and you do have a Win98/WinXP CD, I strongly suggest youself to look at SunMicrosystems's Virtual Box :flip:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Duckmeister wrote:... Guess this game just doesn't like Windows 7. ...
I don't believe in this. To somebody the game runs with all utilizes, to somebody just game runs, to somebody in runs in 640x480 and somebody cannot launch it at all. But we all have +/- same Win. This problems must be caused by other things, which vary between each other much more drastically than OS -e.g. graphic drivers or next 1000 other kinds of things. If a Win would not like the game, it would not run at all and to nobody. I don't believe, that all problems of world are caused by Bill Gates. Especially if it's something like impossibility the resolution changes.

@ Duckmeister: this is not personally against you, but against this opinion, which is very often repeating here. :bg:
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Ivo Porč wrote:
Duckmeister wrote:... Guess this game just doesn't like Windows 7. ...
I don't believe in this. To somebody the game runs with all utilizes, to somebody just game runs, to somebody in runs in 640x480 and somebody cannot launch it at all. But we all have +/- same Win. This problems must be caused by other things, which vary between each other much more drastically than OS -e.g. graphic drivers or next 1000 other kinds of things. If a Win would not like the game, it would not run at all and to nobody. I don't believe, that all problems of world are caused by Bill Gates. Especially if it's something like impossibility the resolution changes.

@ Duckmeister: this is not personally against you, but against this opinion, which is very often repeating here. :bg:
Maybe we can say that Windows 7 likes GeneRally less than, let's say XP. After all it's old game and all.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Don't worry, guys. This all will be soon fixed when GeneRally 1.06 is released.. :coffee:

But if you want to try it, here is my options.set file. It's 1152x864, which isn't really as good as your resolution, but it's at least in 4:3 ratio Hope it helps.
Attachments
Options(1152x864).zip
(175 Bytes) Downloaded 299 times
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Quklis wrote:Maybe we can say that Windows 7 likes GeneRally less than, let's say XP. After all it's old game and all.
Sure, I think, that Win7's fault is problem with wild colors, but the stucked resolution happened even on XPs sometimes. So if we blame Win7 for it, we hang wrong guy IMHO. :)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

If you have this Problem there is no solution. The only thing I know to get higher resolutions is VirtualBox (As shown in this thread: GR+Win7).

I don´t think that this is Windows 7´s fault. It is Generally what makes the Problems. The ability of using custom resolutions would be great ...

Cu Crono
Duckmeister

Post by Duckmeister »

I guess it would be easier if the options were in a .ini format rather than a .set file, a'la ArmA 2, where everything is editable in notepad, including the resolution.

Then I could just type 1600x1200 and be done with it.

Another one for 1.06, heh.

Wait, is this 1.06 I keep seeing just a joke or is somebody actually working on it?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I dual-boot Vista and XP, so even if my Vista had all the problems with GeneRally that everyone cries about, which it doesn't, it wouldn't be an issue. :P And this was set-up to dual boot only a couple of months back.