Discussion about permissions

Miscellaneous worthy stuff, which will make your GR experience even more special.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Discussion about permissions

Post by XYY »

Well, I'd like to have another possibility because I'd like it if people would contact me by mail to ask me if to use my tracks or not... ;)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Well, the sole purpose to why this thread will be maintained in the first place is that people won't have to contact every author. This has been discussed numerous times and permissions have always been a pain in the...back( :D ), because some people left the community and are hard or even impossible to reach. You'll get the idea if you'll actually read the thread before posting. :headbang: [/end of ranting mode]

Seriously, if you prefer not to make any decisions, then simply don't post to the permissions thread. The first rule in one of my previous posts says: *If author's stance on any subject isn't defined, then it is considered he does NOT ALLOW anything without his written consent.

This means that people will have to email you for permission if you don't say otherwise in your post. OR if you don't post at all of course. :bg:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

And what if I allow people to use my cars and edit them, but they should ask me if they want to edit it? :drunken:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

XYY wrote:And what if I allow people to use my cars and edit them, but they should ask me if they want to edit it? :drunken:
Ummm... Didn't egamad already answer this in the post above yours? Or is there something I don't really get?
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

He said I don't have to post at all if people should contact me with mail
but if you post and don't say anything to e.g. your tracks, he says it's like you said NO..
I hope you understand what I mean ;)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

XYY wrote:He said I don't have to post at all if people should contact me with mail
but if you post and don't say anything to e.g. your tracks, he says it's like you said NO..
He said that if you post and don't say anything about e.g. your tracks, it means that people need write to you to ask for a permission, so effectively it's the same as not posting at all.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

TuomoH wrote:
XYY wrote:He said I don't have to post at all if people should contact me with mail
He said that if you post and don't say anything about e.g. your tracks, it means that people need write to you to ask for a permission, so effectively it's the same as not posting at all.
Oh sorry, I didn't regconise that :headbang:
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Thanks, Tuomo, for clarifying that, I guess I can say I couldn't do it better myself. :lol:
Visit My GeneRally site!
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Thanks to the rules update many of this permission issues are cleared...lets see how this will work out....
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Things are cleared for new tracks (what will happen since now to future on this forum). This idea with thread still has sence and value (mainly for clearing permissions of older tracks by a person, who didn't used readmes).
bhz

Post by bhz »

What about cars? I know we are allowed to use the car as it is from a carpack in a competition, but what if I just want to use the models, and be able to modify the performance values? Do I need to contact the authors in this case, or is credit given in competition thread enough?

NOTE: for the competition I will NOT be releasing the modified cars. I will, however, post replays made with the cars in the competition thread.

I am thinking about hosting a competition in which players run their own racing teams, but are allowed to change performance values as they go along. I am giving the players an option of choosing a car model already released to the community, or modeling their own car.

EDIT: Rules posted, for now I am assuming you must acquire permission. http://gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=810
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

bhz wrote:What about cars? I know we are allowed to use the car as it is from a carpack in a competition, but what if I just want to use the models, and be able to modify the performance values? Do I need to contact the authors in this case, or is credit given in competition thread enough?
Off course you need to ask him for permission and receive it.
bhz

Post by bhz »

Ivo Porč wrote:
bhz wrote:What about cars? I know we are allowed to use the car as it is from a carpack in a competition, but what if I just want to use the models, and be able to modify the performance values? Do I need to contact the authors in this case, or is credit given in competition thread enough?
Off course you need to ask him for permission and receive it.
Thanks for clarification :) just making sure

And what about original cars/tracks? Who do we contact for permission to modify/use them?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I noticed a problem in part related to competitions. Basically permission thread is focused on time before release of the there mentioned new rules, so the tracks are out of force the new rules (until the person restores them in time since 26th May). In permission thread he can just clarify status of his tracks, which were never posted here or posted before 26th May (no matter if as new or restored) - so he cannot exclude them from a rule, which don't affect it. Then the author, when releases new addon (or restore any), cannot ''disagree with rules'', but if he want use exemption, he needs to choose way mentioned in 9.i. - no other way is possible, the permission thread (or statements inside) has no influence on it, because if you'll read rules, the statement in the permission thread cannot be applied, because doesn't fulfill definition of statement according 9.i (it would be out goal of the permission thread - to clear doubts. In case of addons since 26th may are no doubts).

My proposal is simple - opposite way of construction should be chosen by saying: I generally allow using my tracks without explicit permission - YES/NO. If yes, if under new rules sets (or some of its articles) or not (only without any modification).
Last edited by Trigger Happy on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: clearing the sense
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I'm sorry, Ivo, my english is a bit too shabby to comprehend your post. :sorry: Could you (or maybe Luke or someone with native english) explain in more simple words, please?

BTW, I noticed one thing from Haruna Say's post. I should probably add one more rule, that says you must always be credited for your work. What do oyu guys think?

And @Haruna Say: you should include your present nickname to your post, just in case you change it sometime. ;)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Sure, by simple words.

The permission thread has one goal - to clear doubts. But in part of competition it talks about new rules (or tracks, which are under them), where are no doubts. It's clear for compos from rules themselves. But the problematic tracks from past (tracks never posted here or posted/restored before new rules came) the permission thread doesn't affect at all.

You cannot say, that you not agree with rules for track, which you posted in RSC, but here it was never posted. But you can say, that everybody can use your old tracks in compos under analogical conditions to forum rules or its part or only without any editing or organizer must always ask you.

I hope, that's better to understand, sorry for confusion.
Paw

Post by Paw »

I do remember, that Jerac gave general permission on the old forum to use and edit his cars. What is the status of this now?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Same like it was I guess. He didn't said, that anything changed. :scratch:
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Ivo, I won't have access to the internet from home for some time (I'm not on my computer now), and then I'll be on vacation and then some exams and vacation again... basically will have stuff going on almost until mid september - so please, may I entrust you with the permissions thread, updating the rules and stuff like that? As you're an admin and have more insight than most, I think you should take it. Not that it's a lot of work, but still some supervision is required.

Would you do that, please? :?: :angel:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

OK, temporarily. Until your return. :)
Jerac
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Jerac »

Paw: It did not change. If only you include credits, you are free to do anything you want with any of my GeneRally creations, cars, tracks or whatever else.
Paw

Post by Paw »

Okay, thanks. You may also make a post in the permissions thread somewhere at the top of this section to make it clear for the others.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Hey guys, just wanted to point out that many of you still don't include a readme with your tracks! :-x Please, it's not so hard to include a .txt file with your track, it's essential for the survival of GR in the long run. Here is the template by Weeds, please use it if you don't have your own. You can easily delete all other categories, at least include:

-track name
-your name (with contact data if possible)
-permission status

You'll be doing us and yourselves a favour. ;)
Visit My GeneRally site!
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

I have a couple of suggestion...

1. The entire track restoring task is kind of driven by authors permissions about redistribution of their work. We have seen the downfall of the original TDB and later RSC as well, losing a lot of GR stuff. Maybe one day we will have problems with this forum as well. Not only that we could lose all the stuff released here but also the permissions that were posted in the permissions thread. To avoid losing those permissions, I was thinking that maybe we could create an off line "book of permissions" which would consist of rules on how the permissions were made, pictures of single member permissions post and info about the book author/keepers.
This book would be kept by forum admin. and one or two other trusted forum members.
In this way even if we experience a total crash of this forum we would have all the permission needed to eventually re-upload lost work without any permissions problems.

2. Another thing that crossed my mind is the possibility of posting permission of other members that are unable to post their permission themselves. By "unable" I mean authors who don't bother registering here and post their permissions or maybe they just don't care any more about their GR creations but still don't oppose redistribution of their work
The base for posting such permissions would be a verifiable email contacts between author in question and the member who would post the authors permissions.

Lets say that I would get in contact with an author which is not a member of this forum and he doesn't bother registering here and posting his permission but he would confirm all those permissions to me via email. I would contact this forum admin. explaining them the matter. They would verify the matter themselves with the author and if everything is OK the permission can be posted here and eventually added in the "book of permissions"
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Maybe someone would need to create a website not authorized by here where tracks are available to download 'in the spirit of GR'.

I know I wouldn't mind about that.