TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
thegreatfalcon

TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Hum... Yeah... This is now the official thread for musicians!

Post your instruments, specs other stuff and even more! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As some people in here may know, I a drummer. And well... That's pretty it about me...
Recently bought a drum. It's a Arbiter AT with Maple Shells. Sound cool but the snare has a little something I can't actually say what and makes it sound weird... Anyways... I got some network hardware and am just beginning to fill the cymbal stands. Started yesterday with Sabian's XS20 Rock Ride 20" :) Prettyr happy but I wish I had a HiHat and chrashes... It'll come soon, well, I guess...

What about you guys??

Picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Post by Darjo »

Yay, nice thread TGF!
I play guitar and Western flute.
I started playing flute 5 years ago but I never practiced very seriously so I'm really not very good, even though I have made some concerts with the other students from my music school.
I started playing guitar 1,5 years ago and I think I'm not that bad. The hardest song I can play is this.
I still haven't got a proper band but I regularry play with a friend who can play piano and bass. I also do some recordings with AleksiNir (sadly ATM I haven't got any mp3 cos they're in my computer which is in Italy :D)
The genres that I like to play are jazz and metal; I find them fun and really challenging :flip:

thegreatfalcon wrote:Sound cool but the snare has a little something I can't actually say what and makes it sound weird...
Well, I'm not a big drum expert but maybe the upper white part (don't know the exact name) isn't pulled tight :)

Picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures are overrated
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

>:( now you made me jealous!
i wanna a guitar!!!! :weep:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Darjo wrote:I started playing guitar 1,5 years ago and I think I'm not that bad. The hardest song I can play is this.
You play with distortion? :D
Darjo wrote:I still haven't got a proper band but I regularry play with a friend who can play piano and bass. I also do some recordings with AleksiNir (sadly ATM I haven't got any mp3 cos they're in my computer which is in Italy :D)
Oh! I just noticed that you're in Argentina! :rofl:
Darjo wrote:The genres that I like to play are jazz and metal; I find them fun and really challenging :flip:
Jazz is really hard to play on drums... :hide: But it's needed to become an awesome drummer such as Neil Peart (who got a full Jazz formation)...
Darjo wrote:Well, I'm not a big drum expert but maybe the upper white part (don't know the exact name) isn't pulled tight :)
I'll see at that and try to find a proper Drum forum too :D
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Can you play Run to the hills? I can play the starting. :D (Also smoke on the water famous part)

I played piano when I was bored, I didnt even look in the notes, just played something random. I played even Frenchs national anthems one part with only "tuned" the sound. I cant explain in english, so its pretty hard.
(Also played Iron man, Smoke on the water, Run to the hills, Paranoid, thats all I remember.)
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I've been playing drums for ~2 months now, so I'm still quite noob at playing them. I usually play them ½ to 1 hour a day, I don't take any lessons or anything. I don't really care if I'll become a pro & über technical player, I just want to have some fun :) Though it would be cool to play in some band in the future :yummy: Usually I play so, that I put some song playing from my mp3-player, and then I improvise something on the song. Sometimes I practise to play a song properly.

And here's a pic of the (electric :() drums.
Thunderstrucker

does Guitar Hero counts?

Paw

Post by Paw »

Well I've tried to make some songs in a program, so all here is just software sound:

01 - Unnamed (Intro).mp3

02 - Unnamed.mp3

Files are reduced quality, so they don't take too much space.
The first one is something like symphonic intro witch "marching" pace. Second is proper metal-like song. It's unfinished, though I already expanded it to 3 minutes.
I even tried recording some 30 years old cheap acoustic guitar as sample, so I could add some effects, but it really souned poor. I might get myself a proper electric guitar though.

Ps. give feedback! :P

@Darjo
What is your guitar model?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I play bass and guitar :)

I play at small just for fun band where rest of guys are like 20 years older than me :D, but it´s awesome :misch:. I play bass there but at home I usually play guitar ;) . I play for about 2,5 years at bass now, guitar a bit less. Few years ago I played clarinet in zuš liberec orchestra
This is hardest song I can play :D (ok I can play it only until 1:30 :hide: )

This is my guitar (not exactly but this colour and type)
StaggS302-BLBig.jpg
And this is my really old bass, but it has cool sound :cool2:
jolana-iris-tit.jpg
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Am I a musician? Yes.

As some of you know, I've been producing music as a hobby for... 4-5 years now. And I create electronic music. My main style right now is hardstyle, but I still do some other harder genres too. Here's a link to find most of the songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/onensane

As for hardware, I own ESI KeyControl 49+ (pictured). It is a MIDI-keyboard, so it doesn't actually create any sounds by itself. It always needs a software. I mostly use it to come up with new melodies and stuff, but I can't say that I could really play a piano... Well I can a little, but nothing too extraordinary.

The other two pictures are from one of the projects I am doing currently. It's still badly in progress, since it has practically no automation in any instruments. Neither does it have any transitions between the different pieces. And some sounds might change. There are no effects, the kick is just a normal 4/4 through almost the whole thing with no excitements And the current mastering isn't that good... So it will still take some time before the final version is ready.
But anyways, the picture is meant to show how big the projects actually are, even when they are just half way done.

Here's a little sample of the song, it's the part you can see on red.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/gameboy/Piilo/205sample.mp3
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

яαρнαєℓACϞDC wrote:does Guitar Hero counts?
Does shut up is enough?

@Aleksi: Nice TD3 you have there... Well... Not awesome but it does the job I believe when you want to play quietly...

@Haq: Yay! :D

@1nsane: Hum... At least you play keyboard... :hide: :flip:

@Sutinen: Do you mean that you play songs with the thing that changes pitch on a keyboard?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

thegreatfalcon wrote:Does shut up is enough?
Calm your mouth, youngling. Or did you forget, that you're under warning? :constable:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I play guitar at home, currently have two cheap electric guitars. Have been playing for about 15 years but it's been on again off again so not very actively.

Currently I'm in a progressive metal band as a vocalist but I also have another group where I play bass and sing, that's sort of alt.metal.

I've also been producing some quite experimental electronic music but not lately.
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

thegreatfalcon wrote: @Sutinen: Do you mean that you play songs with the thing that changes pitch on a keyboard?
No I just play something, and I just try to get the whole song played with only trying something. I cant explain in english, but I dont play seriously just something for boredom.
I got friend who plays drums and two friends who plays guitar.. :D
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Sutinen wrote:
thegreatfalcon wrote: @Sutinen: Do you mean that you play songs with the thing that changes pitch on a keyboard?
No I just play something, and I just try to get the whole song played with only trying something. I cant explain in english, but I dont play seriously just something for boredom.
I got friend who plays drums and two friends who plays guitar.. :D
Ok, so you play at ear then :bg:
Thunderstrucker

Ivo Porč wrote:
Calm your mouth, youngling. Or did you forget, that you're under warning? :constable:
whoa! do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

and can someone help me to afford a guitar? :D

thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

яαρнαєℓACϞDC wrote:
Ivo Porč wrote:
whoa! do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

and can someone help me to afford a guitar? :D
Don't you have a super-duper rockband guitar? :really: :rofl:
Thunderstrucker

i just have my PS2 controller..
i lost my GH3 :weep:
i'll make a guitar hero topic :D

zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

I have already checked TuomoH's and 1sane's projects and all I can say is:
:bg: :bg: :bg:

I play the guitar for about 15yrs, pretty long but I am only good at riffing+simple solos, I use it mainly to write songs. I like singing better. I used to play grindcore with my best friends where I was the guitarist (I do no growls or shoutings) but I like ultrafast + melodic things. So I quickly put together a punkrock demo with the drummer buddy from the grind band, where I could sing as well. This is the true style that I dig, but not many people like it (the sound is true punk - I mean bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g54eMlXuC5A
I use a basic Ibanez (RG370) but I like Telecasters best. I have just discovered Guitar Rig which I find superior to any guitar effect processors or pedals I own/tried.

BTW does GR have a fan-made theme song?
Formerly known as mizzamar, the GRC veteran Team Miskolc racer and occasional track-maker.
My new website: ZsoltBartokGames
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

@ TGF: I do usually play with heavy distortion :)

@ Paw: The guitar is a second hand ESP/LTD Mh 100 qm. Your songs have got a quite dark/scary atmosphere :O

@ 1nsane: do you know about music theory/notes/time signatures or just create music that comes to your mind?

@ raphael: If you can affoard guitar hero you surely can afford a cheap electric guitar. My friend has recently bought an used Squier Stratocaster with 70 euros. After that you just need an amplifier and you're ready to rock :D

@ mizzamar: I really like the song!!
Signatures are overrated
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Darjo wrote:@ TGF: I do usually play with heavy distortion :)
Oh, my mistake... I misread and though you played flute with disto :rofl:
Darjo wrote:@ 1nsane: do you know about music theory/notes/time signatures or just create music that comes to your mind?
:rofl:
Thunderstrucker

Darjo wrote:@ TGF: I do usually play with heavy distortion :)

@ Paw: The guitar is a second hand ESP/LTD Mh 100 qm. Your songs have got a quite dark/scary atmosphere :O

@ 1nsane: do you know about music theory/notes/time signatures or just create music that comes to your mind?

@ raphael: If you can affoard guitar hero you surely can afford a cheap electric guitar. My friend has recently bought an used Squier Stratocaster with 70 euros. After that you just need an amplifier and you're ready to rock :D

@ mizzamar: I really like the song!!
you're in Argentina?
why don't you come here to see what's the price of a "cheap" guitar?
it's 200 bucks!
and i need more than an AMP. I'll need guitar classes :rofl:

TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

@Paw: I must say that I liked the intro more since the 2nd track was too cheery for my liking when it comes to metal. :D But I liked the 7/4 time signature you used there.

@1nsane: I've checked some tracks of your project previously and even though it's not style that I really listen to I can hear the talent behind there, keep up the good work. :bg:

@mizzamar: You've checked my project? Well, I have been posting the link to other places previously so it's possible. Thanks anyway. :) I really liked that song you posted, maybe I should get the other tracks as well. As to your question, there were many fan-made GR themed songs that people (including me) posted at RSC but don't know whether any of them are online anymore.

I'd love to start an ultra-fast HC punk band but haven't found people to play with.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Darjo wrote: @ 1nsane: do you know about music theory/notes/time signatures or just create music that comes to your mind?
I know the theory I need to know. ;) But I haven't "studied" them, they have just come on the side of creating it. These days it's not just what comes to my mind anymore, though. And I get this magazine that has a nice amount of theory included, so I'm learning something new all the time really.. Time signature thingie is a bit difficult, since the only one I need is 4/4. :D But yeah, I know the basics on what some of them do and where they are used.. If someone asked me to do the sheets of my songs, I most likely couldn't do it. So, welp.. In the end... It's a combination of doing it by feel and theory.

@Mizzamar & TuomoH: Thanks! :)

@Mizzamar: Yeah, there are/were some, but I guess those are more or less lost since the crash of RSC. I've been thinking about creating a new one though, now that I actually CAN do something. Just never got the final inspiration to start it.
Last edited by 1nsane on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Thunderstrucker

i am a good singer BTW :band:
it was cool a band made by us all.
:D