Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Doorslammer »

Let me tell you, it hasn't been the best of weeks for AA/AP class cars. During the Boxing Day meeting, we had Brennan's Commodore sustain a bingle from a funny car, the big sedan returning straight away with it's cosmetic damage taped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvwVBaaL48

Surely that would be the end of such nasty incidents? Nope, AA/AP then suffered TWO cars going for broke when the attractive Carbone Camaro and O'Connor XM Falcon tangled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TJ4BgXHhE

I sincerely hope this will be the last accident of it's kind for a long time. It's very rare for two cars to actually crash together, so two in two meetings is very unusual.
The lost Ninja

Re: Meanwhile, at the Motorplex...

Post by The lost Ninja »

Was it because of the wind?
In both videos, the left car's driving to the right.
Glad no-one's hurt!
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Meanwhile, at the Motorplex...

Post by Doorslammer »

The lost Ninja wrote:Was it because of the wind?
In both videos, the left car's driving to the right.
Glad no-one's hurt!
Crosswinds do affect the braking area, but usually in the opposite direction (when facing the rear of the car in this video it would be right to left).

Apparently the Camaro had gotten off the throttle and that unsettled the car onto the two left wheels.
maclape

Re: Sports

Post by maclape »

Paw wrote:Currently watching:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/le-mans2010
If Anthony, Marc & Alex keep pushing we could see an amazing end :eyes:
Sutinen

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Sutinen »

Wasnt that in sports thread? :shock:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It was, but it should have not be there. Sports topic is about hobby sports/games, which we do in our free time, not about discussing sport events, so I spit it to separate topic.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yeah, there have been many "UAAAAAAH MAJOR KURASHUUUUU!!"es this year... Like this the last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxJfjixJMI
Dunno what's with the cars flipping so much this year. Has the gravity changed that much?
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

1nsane wrote:Yeah, there have been many "UAAAAAAH MAJOR KURASHUUUUU!!"es this year... Like this the last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxJfjixJMI
Dunno what's with the cars flipping so much this year. Has the gravity changed that much?
that was so wierd, the armco acted like a spring :rolleyes: good job he was alright :up:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thumb up to all. Especially to marshals on B.H. :faintgirl: BTW any chance to see a decent version of modern Salzburgring in GR soon? :)
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

1nsane wrote:"UAAAAAAH MAJOR KURASHUUUUU!!
:rofl: in D1GP : UAAHHAHAH MURO SUGOI KURASHU!!! AAAAAA!! KAWABATA TUKOTU KURASHU!
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

There was a huge crash in Seat Leon Eurocup. :?

"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

gibernau_fan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsca3UqysrI

Double You, Tee, Eff!!!!!!
Gibernau was quicker ;)
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

Some Funny Crashes...
Rebellion765
Formerly known as IndyCARman and Shifted.
Latest track: Lake Koenig | Latest car: Dallara SF19
Steam profile | I post about Ridge Racer at Lucid Rhythms
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

This is discussion topic, but not topics of funny pics etc. :really:

If you wish to discuss latest motorsport events here, feel free to do so. But not recreate this into a crash compilation. Thanks.
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

What do you think about this penalty? I think it's just rubbish. IMO he didn't block anything.

"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

yeah i watched this race the other day, could not believe how they can consider that blocking.

They talked about how he changed lanes, and ok, on such a massively wide track he did start moving left away from the dark line on the tarmac, but afterwards the officials talked about how the track is split into two halves down the centre and that moving from one half, to the other is frowned upon. well he clearly didnt move that far. so i think the penalty should have been taken away. they are meant to be racing after all...
Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

I read better about it later, Helio said in an interview that the race director Brian Barnhart, made some rule like "you can only take the inside line when you are trying to overtake someone", and you couldn't do it for defending a position. But this apply depending of the kind of situation, it is very inconstant. Also, the black flag was not shown, he knew it when Tim Cindric told.

That was ridiculous. A driver being punished for taking the inside line. :rage:

But in the same race looked like take other drivers out of the track was allowed :shake3:
ECOlogic Racing Team
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Brands Hatch causing yet another major accident (Warning, the driver was injured):

Hands up everyone who thinks that the track will get some major changes in the next few years... Two major crashes in such a short time and we are very lucky that no one was killed. Although neither of the crashes were caused by the track itself, it was still a part at creating the dangerous moments.
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

1nsane wrote:Brands Hatch causing yet another major accident (Warning, the driver was injured)
Hands up everyone who thinks that the track will get some major changes in the next few years... Two major crashes in such a short time and we are very lucky that no one was killed. Although neither of the crashes were caused by the track itself, it was still a part at creating the dangerous moments.
Problem is not that big, they just need some 2,5m tall catchfences to avoid such things. Most crashes happen because drivers are dumb (specially, open-wheel drivers, just too many examples of dumbness to list them all) and bumps on the tracks have little or nothing to do with major crashes.

List of drivers that I remember that have showed how dumb they are:
· The guy on the video (Superleague, Brands hatch 2010)
· R. Gordon (NASCAR, Chicagoland 2010)
· C. Morales (Moto2, Barcelona 2010)
· M. Webber (F1, Valencia 2010)
· J. Kral (Gp2, Valencia 2010)
· K. Bräck (Indycar, Texas)
- Most crashes were caused because drivers are so dumb they cannot see how far is the driver in front of them. Gordon's crash shows how dumb he is because he couldn't avoid a stopped car.
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

@1nsane

indeed, i commented on one of the videos of this on youtube. and yeah, maybe they do need to look into the safety around the track, particularly the GP part after what weve seen over the last year there really...

but he was very lucky to get away with such relatively light injuries (a lot of injuries around this weekend i felt :shrug:)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

eveofracing wrote: - Most crashes were caused because drivers are so dumb they cannot see how far is the driver in front of them. Gordon's crash shows how dumb he is because he couldn't avoid a stopped car.
I wouldn't call drivers dumb for racing hard... I checked out some of the crashes you mentioned and I hadn't seen and all I can say is that the only one that could have been avoided easily was the crash by Morales.

The one who caused the crash I posted was the guy driving in the front. He did the same as what Schumacher did to Barrichello today. This one just didn't end too well. You don't force people off the road in the middle of a straight. Especially the open wheelers. I'm also not sure if the catch fences here would do any good. They might have created even a bigger mess this time. You can see that the time when the car would have hit the fence, it would have hit it head first. And head + fence on those speeds is never a good thing. It's almost like a cheese slicer. When the open wheelers at ovals have the same clipping situations (like Bräck), they tend to hit the fence with the bottom side or the front. This is mostly because of the time the cars fly in the air. There is not enough of time for the oval racers to turn too much before they hit the fences.
Also that spot had a bridge, so they propably couldn't even put a fence there. Depending on how much the track owners have money, and how much they are willing to spend for the sake of safety, they might even replace the bridge or take it away completely to put a tunnel somewhere on the same area. This most likely won't happen before someone dies because of hitting a bridge...

The F1 and GP2 crashes were just the cases of wrong place at the wront time. They were racing for positions anyways. Bräck one was just very close racing. These kind of collisions happen in almost all of the nascar races. They just don't create as big havoc. And I don't know about the R.Gordon crash... He couldn't just go steaming down on the apron if there already was someone. And he was hoping that the other crashed car would just slide down the banking, but it didn't. Then he decided to lock his wheels (which was pretty strange decision, really) and at that point the car just won't turn.

If racing hard is called dumb... Welp... I guess there won't be much of action on the track going on if they ban it. Yes, it is rare that the track itself causes the start of the accident, but it is the track and the surroundings that most often cause the injuries.

(hum hum, 1 am posts are the best ones...)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

1nsane wrote: The one who caused the crash I posted was the guy driving in the front. He did the same as what Schumacher did to Barrichello today. This one just didn't end too well...
where did you hear this? heres what i read...
Jousse said of the incident: "I knew he was there, but he came so quickly. I was a bit slow, because I was on worn tyres, and I didn't want to protect my position from him. I stayed on the right and I thought he'd pass me on the left."