ToM discussions thread

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Mr.J

Re: ToM discussions thread

Post by Mr.J »

That's good. :bg:
I've missed this feature much too.
Aviazione 1st in ToM September 2011
Proud driver ofECOlogic Racing Team
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Hi guys,

in fact, the search already works, and may be used. I just didn't put a link to it yet.

http://tom.gene-rally.com/track-search.php

Suggestions are welcome.

If you want, I can add more options. My thoughts were:

Possible options:
1) search only in elected tracks
2) search in [ All (like now) // track name // authors+author groups ]
3) result must contain [ all words (like now) // any word ] << like Google extended search
4) Sort order (currently: first the month, then track name)

Best regards
Georg
ZeroCool

Post by ZeroCool »

I think its very good feature. I've found almost everything that I wanted :bg: Only sometimes when you put author's name and you click on a month there are no tracks of that author on list (it happened 2 times to me)
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

ZeroCool wrote:I think its very good feature. I've found almost everything that I wanted :bg: Only sometimes when you put author's name and you click on a month there are no tracks of that author on list (it happened 2 times to me)
Yes, in that case the track only got nominated, but not elected.
Buka

Post by Buka »

There's a small bug in search. I've looked for a track before I posted results of the month (but added them in admin area) and was able to see them. That's not good.

EDIT: Oh, and April trackpack is uploaded finally. Unfortunately without masto_pursi's track XRALL3. He didn't answer for 3 or 4 email and a few PMs from me. :shrug:
ZeroCool

Post by ZeroCool »

Buka wrote:I've looked for a track before I posted results of the month (but added them in admin area) and was able to see them.
Same happened to me, I saw winner 1-2 days before posting results...
Buka

Post by Buka »

ZeroCool wrote:
Buka wrote:I've looked for a track before I posted results of the month (but added them in admin area) and was able to see them.
Same happened to me, I saw winner 1-2 days before posting results...
:doh: The worst thing that can happen!
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

OMG :doh: It was possible to view unpublished results for all the time till now!! :headbang: :headbang: :?
(how? just edit the url of the results and enter the month/year you want)

You can now still "find" ALL tracks, but when you click on the month - and the month is not published yet - the results won't be shown. So that the newest nominees are included into the search.
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Something to discuss: Ivo said, it's sad that he can't nominate for the JE track, because he participated in it, but he would like to.

Isn't it a general problem of tracks of JE, JEA and others - there are quite some participants, so that there aren't so many voters left.

My idea: maybe we should make an exception for JE and others?

You know, there is the ToM rule 5.f. that you get better in statistics only if the track has 1 or 2 participants (trackmakers) - so the single trackmakers of JE and JEA dont't get better in statistics with a success of the JE track.

So.. it would be no problem to say: Also the trackmakers can nominate (and even vote for) this track. This would affect all tracks with 3 or more participants.

What do you think?
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

GeorgM wrote:So.. it would be no problem to say: Also the trackmakers can nominate (and even vote for) this track. This would affect all tracks with 3 or more participants.

What do you think?
I'd say that nominating wouldn't be a problem since those tracks usually deserve their nominations but voting is a totally different thing - I could easily imagine all 9 JE participants voting for their own track and therefore winning the title most of the time and I don't like that idea at all...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I meant, that JEs are obviously forgotten during nominations in at least last 6-12 months, even if they often deserve it much more than some other single-person-made tracks. It causes in result, that the JE tracks get 0 votes instead of taking at least 2-4, which would at least little bit reflect the track's quality and give it chance to take a part in ToM packs. I was thinking even not about possibility to nominate the JE track by one of its author (or JE project leader), but more about something like rule of automatic nomination of each released JE/JEA?/5+authors track to monthly election. What do you think?
TuomoH wrote:... but voting is a totally different thing - I could easily imagine all 9 JE participants voting for their own track and therefore winning the title most of the time and I don't like that idea at all...
I cannot imagine, that I could have opportunity to vote for JE, when I took part in it. I agree with you, Tuomo.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I agree with participants being allowed nomination, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote. At least not in the same way they vote for other tracks. Maybe a sollution or some kind of compromise could be found, like half votes for JE tracks or something. But some thought should be put into it and really think it through. :2c:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
a1b23

Post by a1b23 »

For nominating JE tracks it should be automatic, but they should be allocated only 2 automatic nomination slots for their tracks that they publish, the 2 would go to the first 2 tracks they release(as in chronological order). Any other tracks that could still be nominated, must be nominated the old fashioned way by having a non author nominate them.
Buka

Post by Buka »

If any JE track will be good enough to win ToM it will happen, but I don't think they are so. I don't think that people, envolved in JE, should have possibility to vote on their own tracks, but should have right to nominate them as nominating is just a formality:
The list of all nominated tracks will be a basis and guidance for the final election but there will be a possibility to vote tracks, which weren't nominated.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

i agree with buka, that the je's should be allowed to be nominated by those taking part rather than an automatic nomination (although it would no doubt be just a formality) but votes for your own je tracks shouldnt be allowed :bg:

it's like my kutford release last month, nobody nominated it, until the very last moment (after a little hint by me, nominating another worth while track from the update project) and it recieved many votes. if a track is nominated its on that list and may get some votes. just getting tracks nominated is sometimes overly difficult :2c:
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Thanks for all your answers! :) :up:

Alright, IMO the result is clear:
  • Every participant of JE may nominate the track, but may not vote for it.
  • No automatic nomination.

Ok, which tracks will affect that rule? Only JE tracks, or also others?

:idea: all tracks made by 3 or more persons...? ...or 5 ?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

3 is not enough to drastically decrease possibility of nomination by others imho. 5 could be better.
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

This is still undecided:
GeorgM wrote:Ok, which tracks will affect that rule? Only JE tracks, or also others?

:idea: all tracks made by 3 or more persons...? ...or 5 ?

I did some work on the website. I added a "Track search" search field on the top right of the website.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

:bg: definetly good idea Georg :D
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Can you put there small button like ''Advanced'' to go into the full searching menu, please? :)
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

We didn't decide the rule about the permission to vote for someone's own track, yet.

Which tracks should affect this rule?

My suggestion:
If a track was made by 5 or more trackmakers, the authors may nominate this track.

Give your :2c:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I give my :2c: on this proposal too :)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I was thinking about one more page to statisics section, something simmilar to medals table of nations. But for trackmakers ;) just to compare who has more golds, silvers or bronzes :D. What do you think?

And I agree with rule of 5 authors ;)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I don't know of any 3-trackmaker teams... the only difference between 3 and 5 that I know of would be to exclude JEA trackmakers from nominating those tracks, which I guess is OK... there are enough other people nominating tracks. Idea sounds good overall to me...
I like short, simple signatures!
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Ok, rule 1.c. is updated:
An author is not allowed to nominate an own track, except if 5 or more trackmakers worked on the track.
Dan Hakulín wrote:I was thinking about one more page to statisics section, something simmilar to medals table of nations. But for trackmakers ;) just to compare who has more golds, silvers or bronzes :D. What do you think?
I noted it down.