Räbinä Awards Gala Thread 2009

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Raska

Post by Raska »

Good evening GeneRally Community ! :wave:

After almost eight years of existence, GR is somewhere marking the history of video games IMHO... how much games last so long, with a such active community ? That surely surpass the expectations of the Räbinä brothers. What explain this unusual situation, particularly for a such little game (it can stay on a floppy diskette !) ? Not only because of its well-made physics, playability, and the ability of making tracks, cars, tools and palettes, or because it's totally free (and goes at the exact contrary way than the "developped" societies), but also because of YOU, GeneRally Forum members ! :ghug: We are the community and as long as we are together the community will be alive. Since the begining, the community have seen hundreds of fans (I guess more than 5000 people tryed it :hattip: which is huge and small at the same time..), admirors, racers and contributors. Everything you make here helps this game to survive and grow up. Each track you make, each car you make, each participation, each vote, each comment are important. You have contributed to make this game alive and way better (& bigger) than before. As long as you're reading that, you're a part of the community and so of the smart people ! :bg: That's clear we are the best :P and thanks to us : Now, we have hundreds of tracks, lots of vehicules, many tools, a palettes database, many interesting competitions to play with. :clap: And we'll continue to improve the things despite all the troubles.

Once again 2009 was a difficult year for GR, with RSC death and downtimes, but of course also my absence...! :doh: :roll: :lol: Nevermind it was just the joke for slacken the ambient.
More seriously, GeneRally was facing again a big loss and troubles. After the blackout of the TrackDatabase of 2004, the blackout of 2008 (without talking of the minor troubles we had), a great part of the game's history was lost with the end of RSC.
But it didn't make the community die, and in fact, that's a brand new start for the community with the arrive here. Lots of things aren't lost and could be back in the future. The traditional GeneRally projects, as ToM and JE, are back and continue to work well. The GeneRally community showed last year that quiet nothing can kill it. So, this second edition of the Räbinä awards is for you, who put aside some hours of the last year to make GeneRally each time better.

In the end of 2007, AleksiNir brought us the idea of the Räbinä Awards, I think it's another tradition to keep and that's all the community, not only the winners, will benefit from this project. And it was a big honour for me/us to work on it.

Well, let's end the formal speech now ! That's the closest situation to a real Gala Night, so have fun on it !

Let me show how this thread will work: You are free to post whenever you want, you also can make commercial breaks for announcing a compo, a track, a car, or even for fun or joking (just specify that's a commercial breaks in the title of the post). Make this thread alive as it's the party of the community :band: and somewhere the place to "spam", so leave us a word/message. ;)
There will be 9 awards but I've chosen six members to post a special message containing the name of the nominees of each category. And, on their message, there's a link "And the Golden Räbinäs go to...", that goes to the award itself, which will contain the name of the winner(s).

#1. CarMaker
#2. TrackMaker
#3. Competition Organizer
#4. Rookie
#5. Commentator
#6. Racer
#7. Honorary Awards
#8. Honorary Awards in Memoriam
#9. Community Member
And here are two important links:
Räbinä Awards Discussion Thread
Räbinä Awards Nominees Thread 2009

Enjoy and participate !

Raska

:shake: Pfiouu I made it and quiet in time... now it's your time to talk. :cool2:
You are a part of the community, so vote for the ToM Track of the Month

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

All my results thanks to the GWR
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Räbinä Awards Gala Thread 2009

Post by TuomoH »

Many people seem to think that GeneRally is all about amazing tracks or great competitions but the truth is that without any cars we wouldn't be racing at all. Many others think that making cars for GeneRally is such an easy task since you only need 40 polygons but there is actually much more than that to making a great car - there is a reason why I haven't continued my carmaking career after my first tries. I'm the first one to admit that I'm not that active in the car section but, nevertheless, I always take a look at everything that is released and it always amazes me when I see the top carmakers - such as our nominees - making such distinctive cars with only 40 polygons. The nominees in this category have made a long career in carmaking and certainly show that practice makes perfect - or should I say almost perfect since there always needs to be the next level where to aim at. ;) Without any further ado, let me present to you the
Nominees for CarMaker of the Year 2009:

Fechna, Haruna Say (ME-Tan), J4ber, Lukeno1, Ms..., Paw_PL.
And the Golden Räbinäs go to...
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Congratulations to the winner! Completely unsurprising result.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Congrats to our winner, Haruna! :clap: I knew that my vote will be on a good place. I think you're the least recognized guy in the car sections or maybe even in the whole GR history, so I hope from my heart, that this award will change on it. Thank you, Haruna, that you've stayed with us. :bg:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Raska

Post by Raska »

Lukeno1 wrote:Congratulations to the winner! Completely unsurprising result.
Unsurprising ! You must be able to know the future... it was so close between him and Ms...

Congrats to all the voted carmakers (and particularly to Haruna Say) and thank you ! :bg:

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

congrats Haruna :clap: finally award for you :D and deserved of course
Buka

Post by Buka »

Really, I was sure that Fechna would win. :shake: But anyway, congratulations to Haruna and other carmakers. Keep on doing cars!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Raska wrote:
Unsurprising ! You must be able to know the future... it was so close between him and Ms...
It might have been close, no I can't predict the future, but I did vote that way and he is thoroughly deserving of recognition. Surprising would've been myself getting that accolade against such strong opposition. ;)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

I have been a member of GR community for many years now and I had (I still have) this privilege to see how trackmaking was evolving through this years. When you already think that the level of tracks reached its peak, someone brakes that limit and surprise us with something new.

Even though our little (yet great) GR world has many limitations, authors imagination always finds a way to improve things…bringing them closer to perfection.
Many trackmakers left their mark in the GR history but only a few gets the Räbinä award.
So...for the second time in GR history, is the community who decided which trackmaker deserve this honor!

Today, It is my pleasure to announce the...
Nominees for TrackMaker of the Year 2009:

.:spawnhypno:., AleksiNir, Bouncebackability, Crowella, Dan Hakulin (haq), Darjo (DiSi!), Egamad, Future Design, G.Marques, Gabor Kozma, Garbre, Giuiba, Trigger Happy, Maciej1, mathee, MiltonduPont, Ms..., Paw_PL, Speedy47, spykee.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

:wow: I´m really surprised with 2nd place :champa: thanks to all who voted for me :cool2:

Winner was clear for me even when I like some other autors more, I think he deserve it :bg: hope he will continue with making perfect tracks :D
Paw

Post by Paw »

Congratulations to winners in both categories! I think both deserve it. Still waiting for the rest of the results!

I'm also happy of my two nominations, even if I haven't got a vote, because IIRC I haven't released anything in the last year. Or, maybe it was one track.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Congrats. :bg:

:iagree:
Really well deserved in both cases.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Congrats for the first set of winners. I can't believe I actually typoed my reasons on the first one. Must be the late time of writing the stuff. :rofl:

*Commercial break*

Are you sick of hearing your sister singing the tunes of "Singstar: Pop garbage"? Is she always missing the notes? And always Out ot tune?!

Well no need to worry! (silent bonk sound)

Let RBco introduce you...Rockstar: Generally!

Now you can be just like them! (woohoo woo yeah!)

Sing to over 50 Generally classics, including Onder - brrrr rrrr brrr, 1nsane - Br br br brrrrr, TuomoH - Brrrrrrr rrrrr rrrr rb and the Räbinä original - You're running low on fuel!

You get to accompany the Yellow Cylinder Men on the stage! Make the crowd go wild! (woohoo woo yeah!)

Order now, and you will get your own Yellow Cylinder Man miniature toy!

Rockstar: Generally, in stores now!
(A cool animation with a General bringing the game cover to the screen, a huge explosion and a "funny/damage.wav" sound)

*End of the commercial break*
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Now, that we know the car and track award winners, it's time to reveal soon the winner of competition award. I think it's clear to see that we had a disastrous last year from the eye of competitions. Many top-compos were cancelled or simply didn't even start, the ToM compo was missing, there were less competitions from JTarJ, and unfortunately the same happened with me...

However, there were still some good examples for showing that GeneRally is still alive: for example there was East European Open for Buka, that was started in a great hurry, to compensate the cancelled competitions. Or the competitions of Trigger Happy and haq, with other words GRMFed, which were hosting top quality competitions. Fortunately less doesn't mean worse, that's why we can see James in this list too - he showed in FSS and GRC, that he is still a master of competition running. Ah and don't forget Vitorfm either, who's proven us with gr.f1 that new faces could be gathered easily, shame that he may leave us soon because of problems in reallife... A returner can be seen on this list too, jo.sk was organizing the Official GWR Challenge. And what a nice return it was, wasn't it? ;) Aleksi and DiSi's CompoVeloce competitions were also top, thanks to the great atmosphere they two have created for it.

But one thing is sure: all of their competitions had good amount of participants, despite the problems we had in the latest days. One thing is common in them: IMO all of them would deserve a Räbinä because of their passion for GeneRally. However not I'm the only one to decide from this, but I think the community will elect right from the actual winner. To be honest, I have to tell you that I'm impatient, and as presenter, I have the right to look into my "envelope", so I know who is the winner... :D But who is it? You'll see it in the zip file...

And now, let's figure out, who won this Räbinä in competition organizor cathegory!
Nominees for Competition Organizer of the Year 2009:

AleksiNir & Darjo (DiSi!), Buka, Trigger Happy & Dan Hakulin (haq), James C. (JTarJ), Jo.sk, vitorfm.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Argh, how typical, a tie. Congratulations to all 3 of you!
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Congratulations Haruna, I think you really deserved it after all these years you've been a part of the community :)

Congratulations to Maciej1 too, as people probably have noticed, he isn't exactly my favorite trackmaker, but there's no doubt, you surely deserve this award :bg:

And finally congratulations Ivo, Daniel and Vitor :clap:

I'm a bit disappointed to get only one vote in trackmaker, I wasn't expecting much but still more than just one vote... But it's nice to get even one vote in compo organizing, tbh I'm not very happy how I organized it... @haq and others who miss CV: I promise there will be more of it in future... But I can't say when exactly :cool2:

Let's wait for the rest of the awards! They could come with a bit faster phase though :shhh:

Btw, a small correctment, I said haq didn't do the best quality tracks, that didn't mean they were crappy, all were very good :up:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I was disappointed with only getting 1 vote as well, but not remotely surprised.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

*Commercial Break*

Do you wanna be like this?

*Shows Captain Falcon's racing scene*

Or this?

*Shows Captain Falcon's fighting scene. FALCON PUUUUNCH.........!!!*

Well too bad.
:(

But you can be him too.
:)

Introducing FALCON PUNCH energy drink! Specially designed to unleash the power of the Captain Falcon! Drink one of this staggering energy drink and you'll be CAPTAIN FALCON!

FALCON PUNCH ENERGY DRINK! SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Now available in your nearest store! Try either FALCON flavour or NORRIS flavour!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Raska

Post by Raska »

AleksiNir wrote:Let's wait for the rest of the awards! They could come with a bit faster phase though :shhh:
Yes we could, but for practical and entertaining reasons the ceremony will last the whole week-end... You know it wasn't simple to found the sixth differents presentators and to be sure they could be available at a fixed date/hour (particularly as I could fix only my post's hour). Then how let the time at our public to react if we post the result within few minutes/hours..?.

It'll last longer and let the suspense longer too... I thought it was the best solution.

BTW congrats Maciej1, Ivo, Dan and Vitor :bg: and thank you for your works !

@ TuomoH, LongBow & DXTR : Nice speeches ! :clap: I knew, I had made good choices. ;) Thank you.

Competitions I've won :

Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

*commercial break*
...........................................................................................................
Join GR Formula Nippon Championship! A non-login compo with the great
Formula Nippon 2009 carpack by Fechna. Get all the info you need here!
...........................................................................................................
*end of commercial*
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

*commercial break*
GeneRally: Best played on NVIDIA GeForce Serie GPUs

nVIDIA, The Way It's Meant to Be Played
*end of commercial*

BTW, congrats everyone and mostly Haruna :bg:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

:champa: I´m going to print this award and put it on wall above my bed :D

Thanks to Ivo who showed me how to do all compo stuff :bg:, and thanks to alll who voted for GRMFED. I´m really proud of those few compos we run in GRMFED last year, I hope that we won´t dissapoint you this year :).

Congrats to vitor also :clap: he did great work with gr.f1, pity that he gave up now because many of gr.f1 racers are gone too....

Long live :gr:!

@Ivo: We are the champions :roflmao:
Maciej1
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Maciej1 »

:champa: Thank you. I really didn't expect this. Maybe I'm not so active and popular on forum like others, but the most important thing is that I spend time nicely creating tracks. Once again thanks and see you on my tracks. :wave:
"Genius does not argue, it creates"
Please visit my GeneRally website.
GeneRally World Tour
Jo.sk
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Jo.sk »

First, congrats to the winners ! and sorry, I didn't found the time to vote :(

About the awards :
- Haruna Say : it's difficult to give my opinion, maybe because I was never very interested by carmaking even if it is a very usefull for the community. Thanks for your work ;)
- Tracks : I think Maciej1 is a good choice ! I hope you will keep your creativity and I wait your next tracks :up:
- Competition Organizer : what to say... only big congratulations for the fantastic work of vitorfm, Trigger Happy and Dan Hakulin :bg: !!! but in my opinion JTarJ also deserved an award :shrug: . And finally thanks to DXTR who voted for me :roll:

Now we wait the other winners :popcorn:
Ed Santos

Rookie Award

Post by Ed Santos »

Hi, Generally Community!

Firstly, I would like to say I'm glad to participate again on the Gala Thread! It's a great privilege to be part of this annual celebration and to present a category. :D

Well, let's go to the point:

In all GeneRally's history, we had many talented and helpful people in the community. Each one of them have different skills that make this little game grow and be the best it can be. But, in fact, there's a thing that all these people had passed through: All of we were rookies one day.

When we see the amazing work of some experienced trackmaker, carmaker, competition organizer, and so on, we normally do not think on the beginning of his career. But we know that all his skills are a result of all his achievements since the beginning. And that's not only about the good ones, but also about the faults.

That's our advice for you, beginner: Keep learning from all things! Learning from good and bad experiences that happen in the beginning of our career are wise actons, not only for GeneRally, but also for life. And, also, don't be afraid about creating new things, and don't underestimate yourself. Don't forget that, acording to the e-mail received from Hannu and Jukka (that was on the old forum, but I can remember a little), they created GeneRally before being experts on programming. i.e., somehow, they were rookies! And look what they have made! You can make great things too! :bg:

That's certainly the case of these nominees below. They have shown on the previous months their initiative on making new things for the GeneRally Community or on racing. And they may have a great future on their abilities.
Nominees for Rookie of the Year 2009:

Cristiano Bohessef, Dragon, DrAanik, Halama, majortom, Medal89, Mr J. (ado), Otto Wilson (O.Wilson, 007), RudyOosterndijk, Thecactusman.