GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally v1.10 - DISCUSSION

Post by Trigger Happy »

Merged with correct topic. :roll:
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

Ivo Porč wrote:Merged with correct topic. :roll:
Ok!

How do you like it?
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

An idea: maybe there is some way of allowing users to create new objects for it? Or would this involve a huge amount of coding? :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Lukeno94 wrote:An idea: maybe there is some way of allowing users to create new objects for it? Or would this involve a huge amount of coding? :)
There's the feature request list. ;) Anyway, yes it would. As they are now, the objects are hardcoded to the exe and it'd require a massive rewrite to allow users to add objects.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

To anyone getting a DLL error (which is already highlighted at the top of the first post) - please just read the readme.txt and ensure you install the required runtimes. There is no use moaning about GR being 'broken' if you don't follow the instructions. There is no need to download SDL, it is included. There is no need to install DLLs manually, etc. - the links provided in the readme.txt link to an installer that will set up the required libraries automatically. They are common libraries for any C++ application written with Visual Studio 2010 on Windows. If you still have issues after following all of this advice, then ask for support.
AleksiNir wrote:Probably there isn't anything that can be done about this? I think that this is quite a bad problem :shrug:
Use a non-widescreen resolution ;) Only solution would be to 'stretch' the image to widescreen - but then it'd just look stupid. There is no way to 'fix' this... it's just the nature of the difference in aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 screens.
Quklis wrote:Great stuff and all.. but I'm just wondering why is the mouse in the game while racing?
On the 'to fix' list for next version. Was only brought up by our testers on Thursday, after the cut off for non-essential bugfixes :) It's not ideal, I know!
Lukeno94 wrote:An idea: maybe there is some way of allowing users to create new objects for it? Or would this involve a huge amount of coding? :)
Yup, as Tuomo says, not at all possible at the moment. Cost of introducing such a feature versus the benefit is far too high. This is not on our 'to do' list.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Absolutely fantastic, only yesterday i played on GR properly for the first time in months, and today this, massive thank you to all those involved :bg:

edit: and great touch remembering the blood on the people :lol:

edit2: just to say, new objects are a treat, but just wondering whether changing the default colour of the soft walls from red is in the 'non-essential pipeline'?
Last edited by Bouncebackability on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Boko wrote:Is Savegame Merger working with it?
When I want to merge saves I get two windows
1st:
LoadGamsInfo 4-0
6 Overflow
2nd:
One of the selected saves doesn't contain a replay.
Merging is not possible.
Probably due to the track files being in a different format than previous versions. Quite similar to; you can't open a newer GeneRally version track in an older version of GeneRally :wink:
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
MaZuffeR

Post by MaZuffeR »

Very nice! (and nice timing as well, I played GR yesterday for the first time in years :))

Not sure how I feel about the new default tracks. They're nice tracks as such, but they are not really newbie-friendly imho, they're a bit narrow and the hmaps are kind of unforgiving in some places. I think default tracks should be simple and easy to drive.
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

WOW! DID YOU WANT TO KILL ME FROM MY HEART?
I posted some time ago a fake new(it was a joke) on Brazil forum saying "Hannu and Jukka will continue the GeneRally", but inside only "RAAAAAAAAAA, Mallandro's joke" Now i owned myself O.o
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

TuomoH - 5 new tracks

Post by TuomoH »

MaZuffeR wrote:Not sure how I feel about the new default tracks. They're nice tracks as such, but they are not really newbie-friendly imho, they're a bit narrow and the hmaps are kind of unforgiving in some places. I think default tracks should be simple and easy to drive.
I know what you're saying and I'm the one to blame. My only excuse is that after all these years making tracks the only way to get enough inspiration is to keep pushing into my own direction and this is where I happen to be at the moment after 8½ years and over 150 released tracks. :rolleyes: But thanks. :)
CaptainIcy

Post by CaptainIcy »

:wow:

Is this real? I've been checking every 6 months or so to see if the main site ever got an update, and I had lost hope in another version of GeneRally. I thought the original developers had died or something. This is absolutely unbelievable news! I may have to say goodbye to my PS3 for a bit to enjoy this wonderful new version of this wonderful old game. :)

Great work and keep up the good work, and thank you so much for this! :heyea:
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I have a doubt: how choose the people size?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

If it will be adult or kid is likely randomly generated, we cannot choose it.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Manzur wrote:WOW! DID YOU WANT TO KILL ME FROM MY HEART?
I posted some time ago a fake new(it was a joke) on Brazil forum saying "Hannu and Jukka will continue the GeneRally", but inside only "RAAAAAAAAAA, Mallandro's joke" Now i owned myself O.o
@James,

LOL! :)

Merged double reply from Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm:
Spykee wrote:On the other hand Save Merger the tool that is crutial to all competitions as we don't have on-line game is not working. The best part is the author of the tool is long gone and it's not gonna be updated... And to be ohnest I just don't get it? Why fix one great bug just to leave us with another problem?
As a I posted previously, *ALL* new versions of GeneRally made the previous third party track tools of the time obsolete. That's just the way it goes, as is with almost *any* PC game.

Simply put with each new version of GR, the format of the track files is quite (sometimes COMPLETELY) different.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Really interesting update. Though, I still mis some graphics improvements such as better menu (get rid of this blue thing haha) and mostly antialiasing while in game... A "running" clock would be nice... to know what's your time... And it wouldn't be so difficult to implant... Just "paste" the content of the lap time variable once per second in the buffer thing... haha...

Glad you came up with 1.10 :) I wasn't enjoying anymore the game :P
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

thegreatfalcon wrote:mostly antialiasing while in game...
Impossible since GR runs 256 colors.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Ryumi

Post by Ryumi »

Let me write my opinions.

About the game:
- The mouse cursor should be invisible while racing, as Quklis said.(Is it just a bug?)
- It's handy if the dialog box scrolls automatically when the mouse button is held clicking on scroll bar area, like version 1.05.
(Difficult to explain... :shake3: )
- And I prefer the former mouse cursor to the current one.

About the new objects:
- The pedestrian bridge looks too long. Why don't you shorten its staircase?
- The person's hitbox area is too large and blood is too much. I want you to reduce them as same level as pit crew's.
- And the column type of office block is edgy.(I know it's an arrange version of the original one's, but...)

Sorry for my long post.
#KeepFightingMichael

https://ryumi248.web.fc2.com/
My website "GeneRoom" (Japanese site).

Now I'm making -> "F1 1950"
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

I'm a bit confused about this. Do I really need a Microsoft Visual studio 2010 which isn't free?
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
A8k6i

Post by A8k6i »

!!Thanks a ton for the new version!! :clap:

If someone tried to simply download the MSVCP100.DLL AND/OR MSVCR100.DLL before you downloaded and installed the VS 2010 Runtime (which is very much free) from windows' site (as instructed in the readme) and still can't get generally to start : DELETE THE TWO DLLS YOU DOWNLOADED and try again (a tad quicker than a fresh install).
Hope this helped someone!!
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

You dont need the whole Visual Studio 2010 - You just need the Runtime Files (they are free and provide just the dll's etc needed to run programs).

You can find the links to both - 32bit and 64bit - versions in the readme:
- 32bit
- 64bit

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

One question:

Could someone email me JUST the dlls required and tell me where they go so I can test/play this version under Win9x?
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

Lukeno94 wrote:One question:

Could someone email me JUST the dlls required and tell me where they go so I can test/play this version under Win9x?
There's a link in the readme (I don't know if it works for Windows 9x)
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That's the installation of Visual C++ 2010 though isn't it? I only want the dlls, Visual C++ 2010 will not install on Win9x
JTM29

Post by JTM29 »

Just thought i would let people who are having problems with the dll thing. Im running Windows 7 64bit. I installed the 64 bit VS Runtime from the link in the readme and the game wasn't working. I then i installed the 32Bit version and it works.

Other then that, thanks heaps for the update :D been years since i have played this.
PacmanOwnage

Post by PacmanOwnage »

Hey all...

I've just downloaded it, but I haven't tested it... but I just wanted to say a big thanks to those that kept GR alive over the past few years, and have kept a upper chin ready for the new release of GeneRally even if there was always a worrying doubt it had past it :heyea:

I shall go ahead and see what's what :goodvibes: