[rwl] [cir] Bridgehampton Race Circuit

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

[rwl] [cir] Bridgehampton Race Circuit

Post by Trigger Happy »

Hello guys. :wave:

I finally found time to make a track, which I was wishing in GR for very long - Bridgehampton Race Circuit. I dedicated to it last 3 weeks, so I hope, that you'll like it. :) I was aiming approx. on its appearance around 1966-70, even if not everything is 100%. And my thanks to Tuomo and Herbal for advices. :bg:

Bridgehampton Race Circuit was located at Long Island, New York, USA. The track was built in sandy ground of the Long Island after ban of racing on public roads in state New York related to crash near Watkins Glen in 1952. The track was opened in 1957 and the new circuit replaced local Bridgehampton Street Circuit and soon took important place in North American racing. The track became famous by number of fast blind corners and number of elevation changes. Bridgehampton Race Circuit was hosting number of major meetings like Can-Am, Trans-Am, Nascar and even World Sportscar Championship until early '70s, when lack of funds and hostility of local residents because noise pollution prevented any development of the track and caused loss of all professional events. The track bankrupted and was closed in 1983, however few years later was reopened by local enthusiasts, who were keeping the track, which remained all time in almost original state from '50s, operational for amateur racing to 1997, when the track was closed and converted to golf course. Bridgehampton Race Circuit was likely very first place, where spectators could see in action a thing, which changed car racing since forever - a wing on a racing car - Chaparral 2E during Can-Am event in 1966.

And an on board video from late '90s:
Have fun! :popcorn:
Attachments
Bridgehampton.jpg
Bridgehampton.zip
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 558 times
The MNZ

Re: [rwl] [cir] Bridgehampton Race Circuit

Post by The MNZ »

Is it that BBA abanoned wip?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

No, completely from scratch. ;)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

excellent, i know you asked me to make it before, but i could not have managed anything better than this, it looks fantastic :bg:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thank you very much. :)

When you gave it up, I had no other chance than do it on my own, if I wanted this forgotten place in GR. And I finally did. :D I'm happy, that you're enjoying this version too. :goodvibes:
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Looks great Ivo, good job! Looks exactly like what you would expect from a track in the 60s.

Riverside next? :)
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

5/5! :bg: excellent!

The scenery has very nice and the great view! Trees match the Land-map well, it has the atmosphere of photos in the zip. And the road is good, too. I like this real-life track! :goodvibes:

I think, a favorite of this month ToM! :scratch:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

@ Alonsomania: Thanks! :bg: BTW the Riverside definitely deserves a decent GR version (same like few other tracks in my opinion like historic versions of Le Mans, Fuji, Sebring or Monza), however it's not on my current to-do list, because I guess, that a small compo again is the aim for next few weeks. However I'll keep the track in mind or maybe some other trackmaker will surprise us. :yummy:

@ Masa: thank you very much! Catching the rustic environment and enthusiastic atmosphere was my key goal of work. :heyea:

Other comments, opinions or feedback? :cooking:
Primeracer

Post by Primeracer »

Very good very good , really good work Ivo. Well made reproduction for this impressively extreme track, Bridgehampton is. Another featured track for sure. :clap: This could be better? May be... for me it's ok. How comes the idea for using a flat bridge?
Try other tracks by myself: Agrestina -Tristar - Petra
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thanks Primeracer. :) The flat bridge is most close to reality of the real bridge there. ;) The driving under bridge and into blind right bend down the hill (with two right bends following) on high gear was one of most impressive places of the real track. :hyper: Gates or other kind of bridge would not create the illusion so well.