[cir] [rwl] [stc] Albert Park Melbourne

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Alex

[cir] [rwl] [stc] Albert Park Melbourne

Post by Alex »

Hello, Alex here with my new project i have worked on for the past week: Albert Park in Melbourne. It took me roughly 4 hours in total combined time to make the track using only Google Earth, TrackEditor and MSPaint. If you don't like it, don't download it instead of complaining. This track works best with GRf1 competition cars due to their grip but if you want a challenge, then try and drive Genetlemans' FIA Formula One 2010 on the track.
Have fun! :wave:
Attachments
Melbourne.zip
(261.19 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Ferrari vs Redbull vs Mercedes.png
Melbourne.png
Last edited by Alex on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] [rwl] [stc] Albert Park Melbourne

Post by TuomoH »

Alex wrote:If you don't like it, don't download it instead of complaining.
Ahem, without constructive criticism you can't get better in trackmaking, or at least it takes longer. ;) Sometimes some things can be seen already from the screenshot.
Alex

Post by Alex »

That's not what i meant. I meant people calling the track rubbish just because of one thing being 1 mm out and then people who didn't even look at the track use the "I agree smiley" and say stuff like "it looks a weird perspective" and stuff like that. Constructive Criticism is Ok.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Unfortunately, I don't think it IS particularly good. Some parts of the HMAP are lacking in care - there is a huge bump in the track near the S/F straight, there are no lines surrounding the outside of the track, the width looks inconsistent and the track looks very rough in parts (the last two turns). Also, where is the wall in the last two turns, and indeed most of the track? The whole track should be encased by walls, but you can easily go off into trees and such, which is impossible in real life.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ok then, i'll try sort it out.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I liked the track, Try to make a 2.0 version on the future, maybe it gets a ToM.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

You should keep working on it, i would say its one of your better tracks, some details you can tell you have thought about, but google earth only tells you so much, and therefore isn't all that great.

I use videos on youtube as a key resource for any rwl (both onboard and TV as they see different things), i struggle to make a decent one without them, so study them, one corner at a time, look where walls are placed, gravel traps, white lines, marks on the surroundings, stands, buildings, even trees. :sherlock:

I know people also always go on about time spent on a track, but it is key. 4 hours isnt too bad, i think Alonsomania mentioned he doesnt spend more than that on a track, but those tend to be fictional and quite small, so i feel different rules apply, :hide: but as a guide, my Las Vegas probably took about 20 hours, and its still not one of my best :shrug:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ok, here is my 2nd version of the track.
Improvements:

Hmap is now smoother and there are no more bumps.
Armco barrier is now on the inside of the track aswell.
There are less trees on the southside of the circuit.
Shell logo is smaller.
ING logo is added.
Some places where crashes occur have been modified so chances of a crash is less.
Final corner is wider than last time.
Pit lane is seperate to race track.
Attachments
Melbourne V2.png
Melbourne V2.zip
(260.99 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Owner of Team GeneAlex
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

This second version is much better, but you still should sort out the HMAP on the straight on the second straight, the long series of curves above the lake, and in the penultimate corner, it is also still missing the yellow lines that are around the entire track. The pitlane entry is a mess, it looks quite poor, and the pitlane itself has no differentiation between the pitboxes and the actual lane. As Bba said, the road markings are rough and you haven't disabled the S/F line in the track editor, which makes it also look iffy. And some parts are still inconsistent widths ;)

Don't be offended by this, I don't intend to flame you, just give you help on what to improve.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Lukeno94 wrote:This second version is much better, but you still should sort out the HMAP on the straight on the second straight, the long series of curves above the lake, and in the penultimate corner, it is also still missing the yellow lines that are around the entire track. The pitlane entry is a mess, it looks quite poor, and the pitlane itself has no differentiation between the pitboxes and the actual lane. As Bba said, the road markings are rough and you haven't disabled the S/F line in the track editor, which makes it also look iffy. And some parts are still inconsistent widths ;)

Don't be offended by this, I don't intend to flame you, just give you help on what to improve.
Thanks, i'll see what i can do and make V3 tomorrow.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
AE86

Post by AE86 »

I don't believe it's been mentioned, but the road lines seem a bit wobbly to me. I agree with the fact that the width seems a bit inconsistent, but otherwise it looks good.
The AE86 is undoubtedly the best drift car ever. If for nothing else, for its longevity.
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

I don't like the view mode, make it closer. ;)
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sorry guys, but i don't have the time to make a Version 3 :shake: due to many things atm such as homework and the fact that it would take me a long time to cover the circuit entirely with yellow lines and even road width. But i'm giving everyone permission to modify it and post it on this thread if you like.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Everything is good apart from the lines which are still messy. And next time, you may not want to use those awful pre-built start lines. (turn it off and draw a new one by paint ;)).

7/10 :bg:
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."