Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
1nsane

Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Post by 1nsane »

So, it was requested... And here it is!

:wiki: "Otaku (おたく / オタク) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, or video games."

There is nothing better than those well drawn, bouncing 2D ttttttrees and wiggling 2D aaaaaaaanimals.

(More random stuff here as something weird comes up)

So yep yep, let's go! Anime, Manga, Figures, Cosplay, Idols, Mecha, Tentacles! Wait, scrap the last one...

(And don't ask me to list the series' I have seen. :D )
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Post by egamad »

Which series have you seen?
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

i'm not an old anime fan, this is the list of the series i have seen:

-seitokai no ichizon (my favoutrite one, i recommend it to everyone) :D
-seitokai yakuindomo
-sengoku basara 1 and 2
-bobobo
-pokemon (obviusly :P )
-dragon ball
-one piece (not finished, i have only seen 50 chapters)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

I just like Pokémon season 1 and Dragonball :sweatdrop:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

that's because you've only seen that series isn't it?
have you ever tried to watch another one? :really:
my gr creations
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

egamad wrote:Which series have you seen?
Oh dear... :D

Fine, here goes *takes a deep breath* :yawn:

Seen:
Akikan!
Amagami SS
Angel Beats!
Asobi ni Ikuyo
Azumanga Daioh
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (+OVAs)
Bakuman
B Gata H Kei
Black Rock Shooter
Chobits
Chuu Bra!!
Clannad
Clannad After Story
DearS
Di Gi Charat
Doki Doki School Hours
Dragon Crisis!
Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku
Futakoi
Genshiken 1 & 2
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
Ginda Densetsu Weed
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Love(craft-sensei)
Hanamaru Youchien
Heaven's Lost Property (Sora no Otoshimono)
High School of the Dead
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Hiyokoi
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou
Inukami!
IS: Infinite Stratos
Isshoni Training vids
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens
Kanokon - The Girl Who Cried Fox (+OVAs)
Karin
Kiddy Girl-and
KimiKiss Pure Rouge
KissXSis
Koikoi
K-On! & K-On!!
Kore wa Zombie Desuka?
Lucky Star (+OVAs)
Macademi Wasshoi!
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden
Mahoromatic - Something more Beautiful
Mayoi Neko Overrun!
Minami-ke
Minami-ke Okaeri
Minami-ke Okawari
Mitsudomoe
Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!
MM!
Moekan The Animation
Moon Phase
My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome) (+OVAs)
Nagasarete Airantou
~300 EPs of Naruto + 3 movies
Nichijou OVA
Nyan Koi!
Okami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Omamori Himari
Ookami to Kohaku-iro no Yuuutsu (Spice & Wolf OVA)
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Otoboku: Maidens are Falling for Me
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Paniponi Dash!
Penguin Musume Heart
(Pokemon)
Popotan
Potemayo
Queen's Blade S1 & S2
Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan
Rio: Rainbow Gate!
Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden Traumend
Rozen Maiden Ouverture (OVA)
School Days
School Rumble
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Serial Experiments Lain
Shuffle!
Shugo Chara!
Spice & Wolf S1 & S2
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Strike Witches S1 & S2 + OVA
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu S1 & S2
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (Movie)
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
Tenjho Tenge
The World God Only Knows
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (+OVAs)
Toaru Majutsu no Index S1 & S2
Toradora!
Usagi-chan de Cue!!
Utawarerumono (+OVAs)
Working!!
Welcome to the N.H.K
Yosuga no Sora

Watching currently:
Wagaya no Oinari-Sama
Yumekui Merry
Gosick
Dog Days
Nichijou
Hanasaku Iroha
Ore-Tachi ni Tsubasa wa nai
Battle Girls - Time Paradox

(once these just start)
Moshidora
The World God Only Knows S2
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
A Channel
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Hidan no Aria
Lotte no Omocha!

To be watched:
I Dream of Mimi
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls
Kodomo no Jikan
Ore no Imouto (again)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (again)
Hyper Police
UFO Ultramaiden Valkurie
Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de
Moetan
School Rumble S2
Lucky Star (fourth time...)
Da Capo

(At some point...)
Jigoku Shoujo
Texhnolyze
Hayate no Gotoku
Tokyo Mew Mew
Bakemonogatari
Baccano
+the long list in the notepad with many must see series'

I'll check out tomorrow which ones I'd say are the best ones of the list and stuff and stuff.
Last edited by 1nsane on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

@1nsane: mother of god :jawdrop:
please tell me what are the best you've seen (only humor/action) i don't like dramatic ones :vsad:
my gr creations
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Fiquei tão surpreso com essa lista que esqueci de traduzir o texto.
I was so surprised with this list that i forgot to translate.

- merged posts simplified, edited by Herbal -
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

@manzur: and your anime list? :D and please recommend me some ones
my gr creations
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I am not an anime-addict. I only like Yu-gi-oh.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

maxi17 wrote:@1nsane: mother of god :jawdrop:
please tell me what are the best you've seen (only humor/action) i don't like dramatic ones :vsad:
Hehe welp I'll do that tomorrow too. :P How much of... Err... Dirty stuff can they include?
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

1nsane wrote:
maxi17 wrote:@1nsane: mother of god :jawdrop:
Hehe welp I'll do that tomorrow too. :P How much of... Err... Dirty stuff can they include?
i don't know the ammount.. but... tell me anyway.
i can't know if i like an anime untill i watch it :roll:
my gr creations
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Hmmm, distinct lack of Haruhi Suzumiya in that list. I'm pretty surprised.

Since I haven't watched all that many, just a collection of pics of what I have collected. Even that is small...

Dave will now take you on a magical mystery tour...

Oh look, it's Minoru Shiraishi! I'm sure he's for-for-forgotten his something here.

Keeping an eye on the laptop bag is Tsukasa. Doing a fine job of it I might add.

Kagami and Miyuki are never far away to lend a hand. But where's...?

Oh, there she is. Konata keeping the slot car box in check.

Sgt. Keroro keeps a close watch on the Wai-Con tag. Kero!

And that's it, really. My book collection consists of two Sgt. Frogs (17 and 19), my only DVDs that I own myself are the two Haruhi Suzumiya series. My sister has all the Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Deathnote, Lucky Star and more besides. She even got the 5th keyring out of my collection now (Akira Kogami). Maybe she is the true otaku in the house...
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm the treasurer of my college's anime club, and likely to become the president soon... The sad part is, despite the fact that my college has 6000+ undergraduates and plenty of graduate students, we're lucky to have 10 members at a meeting... and I don't even really watch that much anime, and I'm about to become the president!
I like short, simple signatures!
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

i want start to collect some figures too, but i don't know where can i find it, it's pretty difficult in this city :(
my gr creations
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

We have some sort of Comic-Con here. My otaku friend spent R$121 on a dress...
Last edited by Thunderstrucker on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

i prefer to spend my money in comics than in a dress :roll:
but only if i find them :mad:
my gr creations
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Doorslammer wrote:Hmmm, distinct lack of Haruhi Suzumiya in that list. I'm pretty surprised.
Actually, it IS there. ;) Both seasons and the latest movie. :P The name is just written in the correct order.

So, then just as promised, some of the recommendations for comedy (and action) series'. There's also some with deep stories included. Now, let's go!

Angel Beats - Based on people who have died and are now living in "another dimension". There is some action, mostly gunfights. But the main point for this series being as special as it is is the story. It is very deep and touching. It is one of those definite tear jerkers, especially during the final episodes. And for the people who have followed the scene a bit more, it includes a huge seiyuu lineup and an amazing soundtrack. The animating is nice and colourful.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - One of the funniest series' I have seen. It's just full of slapstick comedy. It's so funny that you will easily die of lack of oxygen, since you can't breath during the episodes. Based into a school, where the quality of the classroom depends on which class they are on. So the different classes will fight for better rooms. Nice amount of graphical differencing in episodes. A must watch for the fans of comedy!!

Clannad - You will cry during this series. There is such a depth in the story. It follows the normal lives of a few people, so no action here. Still, well worth watching at some point.

Doki Doki School Hours - Another great comedy. Just don't watch the special episodes or you'll be greatly disappointed. Has a cute teacher character and the some weird students. Quite like Azumanga Daioh (A comedy defining series), but better.

Genshiken - Anime fans, seriously... You MUST watch this! It follows a bunch of japanese otakus who run their otaku-club. Has a HUGE bunch of references to old series', which makes it even better. The series itself is a bit melancholic and the colors are a bit gray, but on the other side the series is very funny and realistic. This is also a nice way of studying more into the scene. After this you should know what Comiket REALLY means.

Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (Hopeanuoli for finns) - If you haven't seen this... Welp... I'd say you are truly a newbie to the scene. :D Nice action, good story with some heart breaking moments. Expect to cry a little. Just watch the uncencored version, since the cencored version skips almost 3 episodes worth of stuff and misses everything. This also shows what bad animating and drawing can really be. That's what happens when you run out of money. It's a shame, and I hope they would re-draw the series some year.

High School of the Dead - A nice action series with many references to old and new zombie movies, games and series'. There is some stuff you will laugh at once you just realize where they are copied from, for example those magical unpassable walls, although the fence really has holes which would fit 2 people at the same time. And which other show shows how "the woman parts" jiggle in bullet time and the bullet passes between "the woman parts" with no problem. Has a lot of ecchi stuff and blood, so it is a K18 series.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When Cicadas Cry) - You will be left mouth open after every episode. You will most likely be like "what the ----" just happened?! It is a horror, gore, slasher, mystery series with some very insane plot twists and mind breaking scenes. Especially the first 4 episodes are a must watch. I also have to say I LOVE how the series has been drawn. They have managed to capture the sadness of the situation ah so well in the characters.

Kaichou Wa Maid-sama - Most of you will propably hate this series, since it is more meant towards women, but it has a story like no other. It is almost like an inverted version of the normal series' which are meant for men. A good series to try and see what the series' for women are like. Funny stuff, romance, cute characters.

Kannagi - A funny series about some gods who have been formed from old trees in the area. Pretty much a basic series, nothing too special, but the character design and drawing is pretty nice and the characters are quite cute.

Karin - Another decent, funny romance series. This time about a vampire that instead of sucking the blood spills a lot of it in form of nosebleed when she sees the person she loves. Again, the story gets a bit deeper once the series goes on, but... Yeah. (The only manga I own is the first book from this series)

K-On - Well, another must see, anime scene defining series'. I'd dare to say this series is the reason for the others to develop their drawing so rapidly. It also has officially the most cutest characters in the world (proved by many opinion polls). Mio-Chan, Azunyan, Mugi-chan, Yui-Chan and Ritsu-chan are names you should always recognize. You just... Must..

Kore wa Zombie desu Ka? - Another extremely funny series, this time about a man who is now a zombie and then... Some funny stuff happening around him. Some ecchi stuff, but not too much.

Lucky Star - Doorslammer can prove this one as a must watch. I have watched it 3 times through personally. An extremely funny series with some amazing ways of striking a "low blow" comedy-wise. The is another series which has a set of characters you just have to know. Konata, Tsugasa, Hiiragi and Miyuki.. Add these to the list.

Macademi Wasshoi - A surprisingly good and funny series, especially for the fans of catgirls (like me... :D ) There's some ecchi stuff and generally it is a bit of loli based, which might turn some people away. Some weird characters, overall a weird series (in a good way).

Mitsudomoe - This is another series, which will very likely kill you since you fall off your chair too many times for laughing so hard. Just don't watch it during the night or you will wake the whole house up. A great series with not much of storyline. (So you can watch it anytime you want)

Seto no Hanayome - Oh man, another extremely funny series! The episodes starting from something like EP20 are a must watch, those will just take the bar of comedy veeeery high.

Spice & Wolf - Again, a nice story, especially in the first season. A cute wolf character, based in the middle age. I loved the series and am waiting for the next to begin.

Ore no Imouto... - Comedy about a girl who just seems to manage to get everything done right in her life. But she has a "little" secret. This series includes the character that has melted the hearts of sooo many people, including me. And that is Kuroneko. Expect this character to rise into the top 5 of the moe-list.

Paniponi Dash! - Read the description of Doki Doki Schoolhours and paste it here. The only difference is, that this is just sooooo much better with some amazingly witty ideas.

Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan - A nice comedy series and more of animal ear fanservice. I liked the series a lot and have stored them for a rewatch.

Serial Experiments Lain - A mind twister. You just don't know what's going on after a while. :D An extremely good cyberpunk themed mystery series. A must watch.

Shinryaku! Ika musume - Another great comedy with just on sense. A squid girl (with a cute way of ending the senteces to -geso :love: ) tries to invade the earth, but it just doesn't go as planned. The series is more of a set of short strips, so not much of story here.

Suzumiya Haruhi no ... - A must watch. Here comes another set of must know characters: Haruhi, Mikuru, Kyon, Yuki... Again, an EPIC lineup of seiyuus and music, along with boundary pushing drawing quality (at that time at least)

The World God Only Knows - A dating game god (a normal nerd) gets a message from... hell telling that he must help releasing some bad spirits from people, so he must put his galge skills to real life test. A great comedy with a nice story, accompanied by some epic episodes. This also has the best male seiyuu ever for the main character. (You can hear him in many of the other series' listed here, but in here his skills just shine)

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun / Index - Nice action packed series well worth watching. A science side has a fight against the catholic religion, and the guy with the most misfortune ever gets dragged in. Expect some epic fights and epic discussions.

Utawarerumono - Welp, if you like these -mimi series', you will like this. Set in the middle age, has a pretty generic development of story, but still, it is a nice series with an surprising ending. It has some nice action too.

Welcome to the N.H.K! - Another must see series for the fans of anime, manga and galges. Another extremely melancholic series with a great story. It has a good set of comedy to balance the general sadness. It shows the gray life of a NEET. And... Puru puru pururin, pururin. Puru puru pururin, puru pururin! You will love that tune!

So yeah... There's so many series' worth watching, you should just try them out. If you don't like the first 5 episodes, you might want to drop them. Most often the first two episodes are the worst ones, so don't drop them after just one episode.
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

so much thanks, it will take a lot of my time to see this :D
i can recommend you only two:

seitokai no ichizon- is a student council formed by the 4 most popular girls in the school, and the valedictorian, sugisaki, who reachs the student council by having the best mark on the exams, and who is obssesed to make a harem with the 4 members of the council, it's a very funny comedy :D

one piece- action and humour anime(with more than 400 eps) which tells the story of Monkey d.Luffy a pirate who has eaten the 'gomu gomu fruit' that gives him special powers, it has a great history
my gr creations
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I will add the pictures of my collection here after the weekend.

As for figures, your best bet is to search them from internet. Depending on the series, the best place is eBay. If you want to get something rare and something you will never get unless you pre-order, you have to try the stores that sell figures, like This. I personally have a figure in the pre-order list, and I'm waiting for July... :D Then it will finally be posted, so I'll get it in August, maybe. I got mine from a site that is in english, but that place has so much of adult stuff that I don't think the mods would like it. But as I said, if you want to get a figure of an older series, your only hope is eBay, unless it is a series as famous as Bleach or Naruto.

As for Cosplaying, that's the side where I'm personally a rookie. I started that last year, and I cosplayed two characters. The characters were Tsukiyomi Ikuto from Shugo Chara
Like this

and Hakuoro from Utawarerumono
This this!

Right now I'm working on a set for next summer, which is Takagi Akito from Bakuman.
Yepaah

I was also thinking about cosplaying Katsuragi Keima from The World God Only Knows during a Con in september, since I'd have long enough hair for that and the dying from summer would have been on long enough.

@Maxi, Thanks, I'll have to check out that Seitokai no Ichizon once the new series' from this season have started, that should be pretty good. :)

I won't be starting One Piece, no matter how good it would be. There's the same reason as why I won't start series' like Bleach, DBz or Pokemon. They are just way too long and they will never end. I'll keep on watching those episodes of Naruto, where he will change into the kitsune form, but otherwise... No, just no. I checked a few episodes of Bleach, but that was just not good either.
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Bleh, I dont like anime. Ive only seen pokemon when I was a kid. Digimon sucked, so didnt watch that :mrgreen:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

yes, pokemon is the first option of everyone :D
my gr creations
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

maxi17 wrote:yes, pokemon is the first option of everyone :D
It depends. ;) My first one was either Akira or Ghost in the Shell about 15 years ago, don't remember exactly. The first one that really hit me was Spirited Away. Never watched a full episode of Pokemon.

Wouldn't consider myself an anime fan though... Or where is the line? I seem to have 14 movies and one series in my DVD collection. :D
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

TuomoH wrote:
maxi17 wrote:yes, pokemon is the first option of everyone :D
It depends. ;) My first one was either Akira or Ghost in the Shell about 15 years ago, don't remember exactly. The first one that really hit me was Spirited Away. Never watched a full episode of Pokemon.

Wouldn't consider myself an anime fan though... Or where is the line? I seem to have 14 movies and one series in my DVD collection. :D
i think that you're only an anime fan if you consider yourself one of us :D
Last edited by Hiken17 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my gr creations
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

One of us! One of us! One of... ahem, oops.

Anyway, not an anime, but I recommend the brand of fun pushed by comedy duo Downtown's Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! They are famous around the world for their "batsu games" in which they cannot laugh, otherwise they smashed on the posterior by something rather nasty.