[roa] [rwl] Solitude Revival

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Flaming_Wuzzle
GeneRally Trackmaster

[roa] [rwl] Solitude Revival

Post by Flaming_Wuzzle »

This is the Solitudering, a 11.4 km (7.08 mi) road circuit near Stuttgart, Germany. Racing started near the old Castle Solitude in 1903, as a hillclimb. From 1925, the event became a circuit race, run on a 22.3 km circuit, and was eventually shortened into the more familar 11.4 km circuit, which was first used in 1935.

While this was originally used as a motorcycle circuit due to its narrow roads, the circuit was widened in 1957 to allow for sportscar races organized by ADAC. In addition, Solitudering hosted four non-championship Formula One races, with Jim Clark winning the final Grand Prix. While the circuit still exists as public roads (apart from a small section being ripped up as a trade-off for the trees being felled to build a restaurant), there have not been any races on it since 1965, when the permanent Hockenheimring facility opened. The version I have made is the Revival layout, on which events are being held this year, and is almost completely the same as the old circuit apart from the ripped-up section.
Attachments
SolitudeRev.jpg
SolitudeSat.jpg
SolitudeRev.zip
(70.52 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [roa] [rwl] Solitude Revival

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's amazing! :love: I just miss some people around track, I bet, that the sides of roads are full by them during the revival meeting. :) And an alternative retro edition by just few touches would be also great. :hide:

I also noticed some rumours about restoring there a contemporary moto road race. Anybody knows some details, please? :)
Bunchies

Post by Bunchies »

Great touch with the paths going through the forest. I'm really enjoying the attention to detail.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Nice one, it has a good atmosphere.
But I still spotted these little issues:
- no water areas
- whole track is stretched a bit
- there's a bit too much forest around the starting area.
But otherwise a nice job!