Update Original GeneRally Cars 2011 - Discussion Thread

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.

Would you be interested in a UOGRC 2011 project?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Yes - and I'd like to make some of the cars
29%
Yes
61%
No
10%

Total votes: 41
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Update Original GeneRally Cars 2011 - Discussion Thread

Post by Lukeno94 »

I should've opened this a while ago, but this is basically where you can declare if you have any interest in a UOGRC 2011 project. I do, and will make some cars.

For those of you whom are not aware what UOGRC is, it is a project where various people remake the original GeneRally cars, keeping their physics and vague dimensions, but with totally new models, albeit on the same scale and to the same vague style (no Ford Mustang V6 formulas, for example). You register which car(s) you would like to make, with a maximum of 4-6 of them per person (will depend on the number of entries), and once they have all been completed, you as a community will select your favorite in a poll, and these will be compiled into a final pack As it has been quite a while since the last project - back long before the first big RSC crash! - some of us feel that it is time we worked on another project.

If there is enough interest, and there are enough car makers, I shall run it personally, with help from a couple of people if they wish to assist.

EDIT:

Signup/release thread is located here.
Voting thread is located here.
Final release thread
Alex

Re: Update Original GeneRally Cars 2011 - Discussion Thread

Post by Alex »

I would definitely be interested. I'm surprised no-one revived this topic earlier.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It was talked about in the mod's section a while ago, I just hadn't gotten around to making the thread.
ACM

Post by ACM »

This is too coincidental to be true. Just last night I was brainstorming my own model of the General. I would've released it too if it wasn't so late for me. Well, since I read this I've further developed and finished a second car model now.

I'm in.

EDIT: I want to ask. Are we allowed to toggle head visibility or not? I don't want to change the position of the head, just switch its visibility for some of my cars.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

If there's a head in the original, it should be in the updated car I would think. ;)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Good work Luke :bg: and I'll do some stuff, too ;)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I'd love to try to make some :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, I didn't expect 8 people to say they wanted to make cars for this project! :rofl: I'll leave the poll to run for a bit, then when I come back from my grandma's, I'll start an actual thread for it, plus the rules and such things.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Wait couple of days to give option to notice this discussion, 24 hours is nothing... ;)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Why have you posted that here when you already told me that in a PM, and you un-stickied it anyway? :rofl:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1st If a topic is on top of 1st page by discussion, doesn't need to be sticky. Neither Track update project had its discussion as sticky.

2nd Many people are coming here once per 3 days/week or less often. If you really want to discuss a problem/idea, give them time to take a part on the discussion. :roll:
ACM

Post by ACM »

Lukeno94 wrote:If there's a head in the original, it should be in the updated car I would think. ;)
I was thinking more along the lines of cars which don't have their heads turned on, like the Triangle and Onewheeler.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

AFAIK the winners of first project has no head, if the original had no head - out of updated Monster truck, which had head.
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

I voted for "Yes - and I'd like to..." Wink
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

10 participants and 18 interested people... certainly looks good!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

don't forget to show us some proposal of rules - to be something to discuss. ;)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Give me a chance to draft them TH - only got back late last night! :rofl:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Right, proposal of rules is as follows:

INTRO:
UOGRC 2011, or Update Original GeneRally Cars 2011, is a community project for the reproduction of new cars based along the lines of the originals. This means that multiple people will recreate a few of the original cars, which they will choose themselves, and they will be to similar dimensions as the originals were made to, and with identical physics.

SPECIFICS:
1: Once about 3 cars have been made on one base (e.g., 3 formulas by 3 different people), a vote may be held on the cars if there is no more interest in making the cars.
2: No car-maker may have more than 4 cars included in the finalized pack, but they may produce more than this quantity of vehicles for selection.
3: Individual car-makers may make 2 or more versions of each car and enter them into the voting.
4: Dimensions must be within 5% of the original models, and physics must be unaltered from the original cars. Wheel sizes must also be identical. The exception to this is the Sidamob, which should have a version with and without wheels.
5: Each car choice will have an individual poll, which will last for 10 days. In the event of a tie, the tied vehicles are put into a poll for another week. The winner of the poll, even if it is by a vote, will be put in the pack.
6: In the event of a car-maker producing more than 4 cars that win their polls, those with the smallest percentage margin of victory will not be included, and the runner-up cars will be added to the pack. This will continue until a car is selected. In the event that no car is available to fill this, it will default back to the original winner, even though he will then have more than 4 cars included. There will not be a reshuffle of another car to compensate.
7: Cars must be a similar style to the originals - so you may not create a truck for the formula entry, for example!
8: Entries to the project must only be posted in the official project car release thread. They will not be considered for the poll if they are uploaded elsewhere without being posted in the correct thread.
9: You may modify existing models of your own to offer in the poll, but they must not be identical to an existing model - you must make some changes, and more than just reassigning colours or flipping polies around, vertex values must change, even if only slightly! You must not modify the original vehicles, unless you are one of the Rabinas.
10: All cars must be painted in player colours, and windows must be in the 184 colour, just as the original cars are. Any cars failing to comply with this will not be modified, but will be ignored until the creator modifies them himself (the creator will be notified, however). Due to the original cars not containing lights, colour choice is free, but please don't put non-sensible light colours, like brown or pink.
11: If the original car includes a head, you must also include one, and it must be sensibly placed. If the original car does not, you must not include a head.
12: Cars must be of your own creation, do not modify anyone else's work without permission. This is in line with forum policy. Make sure your car fits any other forum rules.
END OF RULES

Any alterations/additions to these that you can think of?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Lukeno94 wrote:1: Once about 3 cars have been made on one base (e.g., 3 formulas by 3 different people), a vote may be held on the cars if there is no more interest in making the cars.
1st UOGRC had in no limits resulting in about 4-7 submissions per model (only sidamob 2). Why only 3 if the interest on making is according your poll way bigger?
Lukeno94 wrote:2: No car-maker may have more than 4 cars included in the finalized pack, but they may produce more than this quantity of vehicles for selection.
Why? If they're be best and people will like them more then others?
Lukeno94 wrote:4: Dimensions must be within 5% of the original models, and physics must be unaltered from the original cars. Wheel sizes must also be identical. The exception to this is the Sidamob, which should have a version with and without wheels.
I'd prefer strict same max. X/Y/Z used in original model (can be easiest to check). Especially I'd be for no changes of wheel size AND position to keep the physic without impact as much as possible. For similar reasons I'd like to see approx. keeping the models' max. X/Y/Z values too. :shrug:
Lukeno94 wrote:5: Each car choice will have an individual poll, which will last for 10 days. In the event of a tie, the tied vehicles are put into a poll for another week. The winner of the poll, even if it is by a vote, will be put in the pack.
It's 12 cars x 10 days, it's 4 months of polls. Not sure if people will enjoy it. Maybe to do 3 cars together (1st, 5th and 9th for R1 and so one) with 14 days per each?
Lukeno94 wrote:9: You may modify existing models of your own to offer in the poll, but they must not be identical to an existing model - you must make some changes, and more than just reassigning colours or flipping polies around, vertex values must change, even if only slightly!
Don't forget to ask James Burgess then for permission to use the basis to just rebuilds then. However I'd prefer starting from scratch in modelling as mandatory for all - it tells bit more about carmaking skill.
Lukeno94 wrote:10: All cars must be painted in player colours, and windows/lights must be in the 184 colour, just as the original cars are. Any cars failing to comply with this will not be modified, but will be ignored until the creator modifies them himself (the creator will be notified, however).
No original car has lights actually so has no default color for them, in 2005 it was free too. In final pack one car has yellow lights other light grey and it really don't look bad in sum.
Lukeno94 wrote:12: Cars must be of your own creation, do not modify anyone else's work without permission. This is in line with forum policy. Make sure your car fits any other forum rules.
This contradicts to the rule about editing default model unless will be permitted. ;)
Paw

Post by Paw »

Trigger Happy wrote:It's 12 cars x 10 days, it's 4 months of polls. Not sure if people will enjoy it. Maybe to do 3 cars together (1st, 5th and 9th for R1 and so one) with 14 days per each?
They can all be made simultaneously. Maybe ToM format, where everyone would give their favourite version of each car in a PM?
ACM

Post by ACM »

Lukeno94 wrote:windows/lights must be in the 184 colour
Is this necessary!? Having both be the same colour makes cars ugly. I much prefer using 176 for lights anyway, which is already the designated street light colour. Really, what colours should be used should be down to what the carmaker thinks works best for their car.

I have a question about wheel placement. Normally I don't condone modifying the wheel placement, but I find that the Onewheeler's wheel placement prevents the car's shadow from appearing. Slightly moving the non-visible wheels by 0.01 towards their correct orientations fixes this. Is this allowed?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

@Trigger Happy: rule 1 can easily be tweaked, or replaced by a final deadline, but as for rule 2, that must stay - remember, the original UOGRC had the same rules, which were bent slightly as there was only one entry in a particular category, and said carmaker was retiring. Rule 3 can easily be modified to have identical model dimensions if that's what people prefer. And I did not say that you were allowed to edit the original GeneRally cars anywhere, but your own work ;).
@ACM: The reason I say 184 colour is because that's what's used on the original cars. And I think we'll allow that exception for non-visible wheels on the one-wheeler.

I will, on reflection, alter the rules to allow free choice of light colour, and Paw is right about the voting in my current proposal - votes may be run simultaneously.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Lukeno94 wrote:@Trigger Happy: Rule 3 can easily be modified to have identical model dimensions if that's what people prefer. And I did not say that you were allowed to edit the original GeneRally cars anywhere, but your own work ;).
:doh: Sorry, I forget to think likely. But just a question - should be excluded models submitted for 2005 round or not?
Lukeno94 wrote:@ACM: The reason I say 184 colour is because that's what's used on the original cars. And I think we'll allow that exception for non-visible wheels on the one-wheeler.
I just add, that not only lights (which I mentioned earlier), but also windows color was on carmaker's choice. I'd personally prefer it too, as it doesn't change driving impression (in physic of car relation) - there's the point idea to keep what was done - not the design of body out of a very basic principles (the goal is improve design as much as you can - other/better window color could be part of it). But my :2c:.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Models from 2005 would have to be modified, but there are very few car-makers left from that, if I am correct (Ms being an example). We could easily modify the rule to ban any usage of those cars.

The window was indeed based on the driver's choice previously, I set it to 184 simply for identical parity with the original cars. However, again, if enough people want it, that can be unrestricted as well.
Genetleman
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Genetleman »

What about the ones we already have, I think they are well within the above limits

e.g.

http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2069

and

http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2101
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need more X tracks and cars? Check out
http://genetleman.jimdo.com and / or http://jolly.yoll.net

MBX6-T driver