[cir] Grand Glade

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Bel

[cir] Grand Glade

Post by Bel »

It's finally here :coolboard:

Bearing 17 turns, and 4,2km(830m in Generally), The Grand Glade Raceway makes it's debut in our lovely game

Took me quite a while, since pixel work is nothing like 3d modeling :rofl: , but I'm truly satisfied with the result, I played it and I enjoyed both versions

Oh yeah, I also made a reverse version!

I would like to thank:
Everybody of the WIP thread, your patience to help me was invaluable to this enterprise
Garbre for it's Landmap pack
The Snakeditor creator(Dunno his name though)

I hope you enjoy racing in the Glade as much as I enjoyed making it, :bg:

As usual feedback is always welcome, I'm quite aware the track is still subpar to the others being released, but I'm willing to improve hehe

Cheers!
Attachments
Grand Glade.zip
(48.01 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Grand Glade.jpg
My Tracks:
[Cir] Grand Glade -> Released(Update due)
cocney

Re: [cir] Grand Glade

Post by cocney »

I like it alot. Hmap is good, lmap great. Everything is perfect. :clap:
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The attention to detail here is just phenomenal, and although SnakeDitor is a big help, you can still tell that you have a history in 3D modelling for tracks. Simply stunning!
MattyG

Post by MattyG »

Great track i seen this in the W.I.P/Teasers thread and it looked promising and yep it differently was.

10/10 easily :bg:
zgr

Post by zgr »

very cool circuit, the hmap is wonderful, and the lmap is good, too.
9,8/10 :bg:
Hello.
Bel

Post by Bel »

Thank you for the kind words my friends

I choose GGR(Grand Glade Raceway) for my first project because it had the easiest layout, I like to make different kind of tracks, in a cycle, so I don't get bored with track making

I have already a new track in the oven, the nostalgic Big Blue from F-zero(I wanted to make my favorite track, Silence first, but I'll take a look in ACM's Water thingy and work with that to make the purple water :cool2:)

So the cycle is:

Cir -> Grand Glade
Oth -> Big Blue
Kar -> Guaratinguetá (RWL)
Stc -> Costa Atlantica
Stu -> Route 046
Ral -> Smokey Mountain (GT2)
My Tracks:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Having driven it now, the only thing I really would like is sunk tyres in some parts of the track where there aren't any. That's the only drawback I see to an otherwise stunning track.
Bel

Post by Bel »

Lukeno94 wrote:Having driven it now, the only thing I really would like is sunk tyres in some parts of the track where there aren't any. That's the only drawback I see to an otherwise stunning track.
Just out of curiositty, what are the turns that miss the sunken tyres?

I may just released a fixed version, if that's an issue

Cheers
My Tracks:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Basically, the whole lower-left section of the track really could do with them, since the rest of the track has them, and it helps as a marker for me (I tend to aim at sunk tyres so I'm just inside them). Fix this and it's quite likely I'd use this track in a future version of OHS Circuits. :D
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I've noticed a few flaws, that could easily be improved with minimal tweaking:

First of all, I'm not a big fan of the huge flower area, I think it would look better if it was a) mixed with a few standalone bushes and a few grassy spots or b) arranged into a sort of a garden bed, maybe with a few paths or something. Now it just looks messy IMO.

The stone/paved path is too wide, it should be matched with the pedestrian bridge entrance width.

The grass should have at least some mild dithering, especially in the forest parts.

The upmost stands on both sides of the track look weird. The one on the left looks misplaced by a few pixels and the one on the right is lower than the rest on that side. You can raise it a bit if you elevate the hmap directly underneath it, this way you won't ruin the layout hmap. ;)

I also miss some other buildings than stands, maybe some offices or officials booths or something.. looks kind of dull with nothing but stands around the racetrack.

That's about it, I hope you take the criticism with open hands and make the most of it, I only pointed out the things that separate this track from the very best, no offence intended. You're on the right path here, I expect many great tracks from you if you continue with the good work. :clap:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Bel

Post by Bel »

egamad wrote:I've noticed a few flaws, that could easily be improved with minimal tweaking:

First of all, I'm not a big fan of the huge flower area, I think it would look better if it was a) mixed with a few standalone bushes and a few grassy spots or b) arranged into a sort of a garden bed, maybe with a few paths or something. Now it just looks messy IMO.
Tried the A, looked bad, I couldn't get the mix of lmap flowers and 3d bushes right, it just felt...out of place...

About the B, I agree with you, the snake-like walkway did not get the job done, what I'm going to do is something like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... omeriz.jpg

Maybe with the "Track Logo" who knows? I believe I can pull this off :mrgreen:
The stone/paved path is too wide, it should be matched with the pedestrian bridge entrance width.
I tend to disagree, if it did match, if would be too narrow, imagine the exit of everybody after the race(Especially since the stands are only reachable by the garden), poor flowers! :weep:

I agree about reduce the size, but it has to be at least 1,5 bridge entrance IMO
The grass should have at least some mild dithering, especially in the forest parts.
What's dithering?
The upmost stands on both sides of the track look weird. The one on the left looks misplaced by a few pixels and the one on the right is lower than the rest on that side. You can raise it a bit if you elevate the hmap directly underneath it, this way you won't ruin the layout hmap. ;)
Yeah, I noticed that now, my bad, I'm gonna fix it next version :rofl:
I also miss some other buildings than stands, maybe some offices or officials booths or something.. looks kind of dull with nothing but stands around the racetrack.
I tried to add a tower like building, but it blocked the view, and it also didn't fit the environment, I mean...offices in a forest raceway?

That was the main problem with everything I added, felt out of place, even the gates...But I'll try again and see if I can make it work...
Basically, the whole lower-left section of the track really could do with them, since the rest of the track has them, and it helps as a marker for me (I tend to aim at sunk tyres so I'm just inside them). Fix this and it's quite likely I'd use this track in a future version of OHS Circuits. :D
Hehe, I thought you were going to say the big glade turn in the middle, but I guess the sand bank sector really needs it more, I'm going to add them, perhaps by Sunday I'll have the new version

BTW, thank you for considering using my track as part of your championship
That's about it, I hope you take the criticism with open hands and make the most of it, I only pointed out the things that separate this track from the very best, no offence intended. You're on the right path here, I expect many great tracks from you if you continue with the good work. :clap:
Oh no, I'm quite flattered you are comparing my track to the very best, that means you hold it to high standards, and that's maybe the best thing it has accomplished, I can call this a successfull first track, and I'm upgrading it on your tips and lukeno's

Cheers and thanks for the feedback! :shaking:
My Tracks:
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Even though your first track is of amazing quality, you still may want to check out this tutorial, or some other tutorials from that forum section. You might pick up some useful tips.

What Crowella has to say about dithering:

Code: Select all

2. Dithering. On the grass, use the spray function in Paint, select mud, and spray to create a dithering effect. Don't go overboard, just try and find a limit with it that looks decent. Use other colours if you like (Keeping in mind, red, yellow and white generally don't work out well.). It will look more interesting than just plain grass, and can create nice effects like dirt and such. This step is not 100% vital to a good track, but without it, most tracks will look plain boring.
Basically it's mixing 2 or more surfaces to create a more complex effect than just plain grass or any other surface type. Try experimenting a bit with different colors to see what suits your track. :bg:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Nice track, but there are white curbs on the track which I don't like and I also don't like the start/finish line. :| Anyways, it's nice. :)
MattyG

Post by MattyG »

Bob Barker wrote:Nice track, but there are white curbs on the track which I don't like and I also don't like the start/finish line. :| Anyways, it's nice. :)
lol what's wrong with the start/finish line(be more specific?) I personally think the white on the kerbs completes the track ;)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That, and those were probably on the original version of this track for whichever game it was.
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

A perfect circuit!
5/5! :bg: Super job!