[ser] [for] Formula 1 2011

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

[ser] [for] Formula 1 2011

Post by XYY »

Hello guys,
To answer the shouts for me to release cars, I present you my F1 2011! :bsmile: (although other cars were requested...) :roll:
Yes, it's very late, the 2011 season is almost over, and it is certain that Vettel is the Champion. :liar:
Anyway, I'd still like to present these cars which are also used for PGR F1 Series. Now they use my physics, something different. As I usually make other cars I had my struggles with the physics at first. But I think they fit (very grippy cars :shhh: )
Try them and leave a comment, please! :)
Attachments
f1_2011.png
F1_2011.XYY.zip
(7.31 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [ser] [for] Formula 1 2011

Post by XYY »

Any comments, please? :worried:
Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

The cars are great, congratulations :bg:

Maybe they could drift a little bit more that's just my personal preference.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
ECOlogic Racing Team
Genetleman
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Genetleman »

Wow XYY -this is amazing, great job

I really like the way the cars can be distinguished, very nicely done. The speed is a good balance, I would tend to disagree with Christiano as I don't like drifting with F1 cars, I think I would like it even more if the slowdown values are a little lower as they really seem to brake hard when you release the throttle (this way you can not just let them go into some sort of idle before a turn). They look really massive, not sure it is realistic but it very well fits to GR.

5 stars!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need more X tracks and cars? Check out
http://genetleman.jimdo.com and / or http://jolly.yoll.net

MBX6-T driver
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks for your comments! I was really unsure about the physics first, but as both of you had only small things to critizise, I think they're appropriate ;)
Some more comments? :shy:
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

I'm going to elaborate only from a physics standpoint.

First off, I noticed how these cars had unbelievable stopping power. You lift for only a quarter of a second and your current velocity rapidly falls to half. The air resistance is really way too high for my tastes, as it increases "engine braking" massively, as well as slowing these cars down a lot. It feels as those these cars aren't capable of hitting 81 meters per second.

Second, these cars are too heavy in terms of steering feel. Open-wheel cars in general are very twitchy and overly responsive because of their ultra hard suspension, relying on the tires large sidewalls to absorb shocks and bumps in the road. These cars also only weigh a hair over half a ton (roughly 600~650 kilograms). I suppose you wanted to simulate the limited steering lock that Formula One racing cars typically have, but these cars really should be a bit more twitchy. Also, why a Y-value of 0.57? Formula One race cars (and most open-wheel circuit race cars in general) have extremely low centers of gravity - more like in the 0.27 ~ 0.35 range.

Third, I know you said you wanted to increase power so that your physics would look different from Lorenzo's, but you shouldn't deviate from the real-world values unless there is a very good reason as to why. You wouldn't need to use such high grip values if you used more reasonable power figures, for instance.

I can't echo the what the others say about your F1s, XYY. These cars are certainly well modeled, better than anything I could ever muster up, in fact. But these physics man... No. Just no.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks a lot for your comment, Haruna.
I know that physics are always a very controversial part of the cars. And I think I'll (have to) rework my physics once more :taped: :rofl:
About the braking, I agree, also about the air resistance. I think I should reduce the Air resistance.
About the heavy steering; I basically put it like that because the cars would look very strange on the track with some higher balance (don't mind to try it :D ) while driving. I'll see what I can do about that.
About the center of gravity: Honestly, I never cared about that. But as you're saying it... :D I think I'll keep that because otherwise I would need to edit at least half of my car models which don't have physics yet. And it would also look strange in the car previews in game... ;)
About the power: I feared that the cars could get too powerful and uncontrollable then, so I put like 710 kw what would have been 730-750kw. But with that grip... ;) Or do you think I put too much power? :?

But however, thanks for the comment, at least you're saying clearly what's wrong ;)
ACM

Post by ACM »

I'm afraid I have to echo Haruna's sentiments here. I'm not an expert on car physics, but just from trying these cars out, they felt horribly wrong. Just the way they're either on full power or full brake the moment you press or let go of the accelerator is one of the things. Haruna stated everything better than I could though.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

XYY wrote:About the center of gravity: Honestly, I never cared about that. But as you're saying it... :D I think I'll keep that because otherwise I would need to edit at least half of my car models which don't have physics yet.
Sorry, but moving 1 model up/down will take you 30 secs with Stava's tool for it, you don't need to move vertex after vertex individually. There's no reason to keep them in this wrong settings. ;)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The links to Strava's tools are dead, or at least the one for the moving the model around on the Y axis is. ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

And it's a unsolvable problem? :) He still may ask on appropriate ways to re-upload it or send by a volunteer on mail. ;)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Oh, such a tool existed? :rofl: But I also want to keep it like now because otherwise, the cars would look different at ingame selection. And I don't think it has such a big influence ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Ingame selection is really priority above playability and feeling from driving. ;)

But you're right, in case of this F1s it isn't so crucial, but focus on it for your other cars in future, please. :) The only thing really disturbs me is the high aero resistance. :bg: