GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

This topic contains a list of requests, related to GR2, posted in and separated from GR requests since announcement of GR2 (compiled by Trigger Happy). Old request haven't been ignored, they are still considered and are helpful to us - but we wanted to try and keep the intent of the requests separate - and offer a shorter and more concise way for the list to be updated. If you have interest in updating this list for GR2, in much the same way as egamad updated the list for GR1, please send a message to Trigger Happy :)

Please would all users check the current list before posting their ideas.

v1.0 with requests until 9th June 2014
  • 1.0 GR Heritage
    - GeneRally 1 tracks to be easily converted and used
    - possibility to switch between a classic mode and an updated mode objects visually
    - An ingame filter/mode of sort which would change the look/feel of the game from "new GR" to the "old GR".

2.0 Game features
    - full events including practice and qualifying
    - weight handicaps according positions in previous races
    - night races
    - weather effects to be implemented (hot/cool track, rain, etc.)
    - dynamic water
    - time standings (when points standings aren't enough)

2.1 Game modes
    - destruction derby mode
    - a "survival" mode of increasingly hard 1v1 races against AI opponents
    - pair/team racing (by combined time, or with 1 car determining the win/others trying to take him out or by sum of points)
    - a "free driving" mode
    - demolition derby mode
    - rally mode (tracks in row as stages, players and AIs racing by one, sum. time etc)
    - multi-class racing
    - scripting your own race modes and championships

2.2 Multiplayer
    - online multiplayer
    - asynchronous multiplayer
    - races with "collision mode off"

2.3 Camera
    - zoom in and out for camera
    - chasing camera and split-screen (to go along with other camera views)
    - different cameras in replays

3.0 Race features
    - more cars on track
    - outline indicating your car When your car is obstructed by objects
    - random time to green on start
    - race flags/lights
    - adjustable fuel-refill- and tire-change-speed
    - have cars eliminated if they reach max. damage
    - sectors as in F1 sectors 1, 2 and 3 and it the end of the session stats with marked with the best partial what would be an "ideal lap"
    - When you miss checkpoints, instead of what it does now, when you hit the next checkpoint your speed gets limited for a certain amount of time

3.1 HUD
    - more accurate laptimes
    - a "ticker" with all the racers and time differences, etc. (like on TV)
    - small speedometer

4.0 Menu interface and features
    - performance graphs for cars
    - in-game car setup
    - a car search that allows you to find cars that have similar characteristics
    - tracks that have categories built into the track and filtering options when selecting tracks
    - AI values of the AI next to their names

5.0 AIs
    - advanced AI racers' driving traits
    - AIs with a range instead of 1 single value

6.0 Cars
    - base cars that would replicate real-life series
    - six wheels cars

6.1 Look
    - .png stickers on your car in the CE
    - real reflective car surfaces
    - cars which can become dirty
    - working head- and tail-lights
    - polygons visible from both sides

6.2 Physic
    - roll-overs
    - fuel consumption is calculation linked to the throttle
    - independent tire wear and damage caused by big jumps, etc.
    - Brakes strength as a parameter of car
    - FWD/RWD/AWD as a switch in car file
    - Better physics. Now the car feels a bit like a point of mass with four "motors" when dealing with just driving, not collisions. The way it carries momentum, and as it turns by just pivoting around (0,0) point

7.0 Tracks
    - bigger lmap than 512x512
    - track "box" wider
    - layered surfaces (tarmac below dirt, for example)
    - tracks that have categories built into the track (for filtering options when selecting tracks)
    - allow palettes to be defined in the track
    - a way to build tunnels via the hmap

7.1 AI lines
    - AI lines based on player's replay
    - alternative AI lines (e.g. RAX joker lap)
    - different AI lines that would allow overtaking
    - an Ai line from point A to B and not only a loop

7.2 Objects
    - people moveable, or even with walking paths
    - leaves on trees movable
    - shelter for the stands with lights
    - parked cars
    - tyre bridge
    - color/custom wall
    - walls would be to make them stretchable/bending one stretchable longer wall by bezier curves
    - wooden fence with vertical planks too
    - MARSHALL TENTS/LIGHTS

8.0 Sounds
    - gearshifts as a audio effect
    - crowd cheering/booing
    - multiple hit sounds depending on strength

9.0 Other
    - in-game support for competitions
    - built-in functionality for merging replays
    - a car editor that comes with the game
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Can i request that for the new game, GeneRally tracks could be easily converted to be used
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
danfilm007

Re: GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

Post by danfilm007 »

For the new project, i have a few suggestions
1) Online please
2) More Players on a track at a time!
RacerBG

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by RacerBG »

Im also supporting the Multiplayer (online idea) very much. Zoom + and - will be good function too (for example you would follow your car closely and when you zoom - you will follow it like in the normal GR track camera. I suggest maximum 10 opponents per race because the tracks are not so big. Flying lap might be a good idea before the start of the race.

If I have more ideas about "GR 2" I will write them down here. :)
Gentlemens, start your engines!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I can't remember if I've suggested this before, but how about including in-game support for competitions? Something like this: you would put into GR the competition's server and your username and password, and the game would automatically download the files and start the race, then submit your results once it was done. It would make entering competitions much easier, not to mention prevent cheating...
I like short, simple signatures!
resir014

Post by resir014 »

bduddy wrote:I can't remember if I've suggested this before, but how about including in-game support for competitions? Something like this: you would put into GR the competition's server and your username and password, and the game would automatically download the files and start the race, then submit your results once it was done. It would make entering competitions much easier, not to mention prevent cheating...
A nice idea, as online mode may/will not be implemented, this is IMO a better loophole. :bg:
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
JWong

Post by JWong »

Asynchronous multiplayer maybe?
Scorpion

Re: GeneRally v1.2 - DISCUSSION

Post by Scorpion »

danfilm007 wrote:For the new project, i have a few suggestions
1) Online please
2) More Players on a track at a time!
It was aalreday posted!
Please write not posted proposals!
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
Buka

Post by Buka »

Now we have moveable road cones, why not to make people moveable too instead of static ones? You know, when a car is too close to them, people would run away from it unless they are protected with wall or whatever. Just a thought.
JWong

Post by JWong »

Yes, moveable people is good. To elaborate, maybe even 'walking paths' for the people? Such that they maybe follow these paths, and perhaps able to sit in stands, go inside booths, offices, go in pedestrian bridges etc? Or less elaborate, perhaps occasional jumping audience in the stands and on foot, maybe a couple of people with flags with primary and secondary colours from some of the drivers.

Also moveable trees; if you drive close, the wind rustles through the leaves. Perhaps if you crash into one, it wobbles and some leaves fall down. Or elaborately if you crash or drive past one, occasionally, a bird(s) may fly from them? I guess these could apply to bushes too.

Another thing that's been bugging me; pit crews. It seems unfair when some other driver crashes into another pit crew and results in that driver's pit stop being compromised. However I think the novelty of hurting the pit crews and seeing blood outweighs this little niggle.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Here's an easy and obvious one: When you place a poly, it is visible from both sides, not see-through! :D
Paw

Post by Paw »

Lukeno94 wrote:Here's an easy and obvious one: When you place a poly, it is visible from both sides, not see-through! :D
I don't think that's neccesary :P It's just industry standard, that polygon is one-sided. If the limits for polys are raised that wouldn't hurt too much to place additional polygon where necessary (most time it would be only couple of them).
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It's not necessary, and I know it's the industry standard, but it makes life a lot easier if I don't have to double them up myself, and allows more detail :p
Paw

Post by Paw »

Ok, so maybe an editor with "add opposite-sided polygon" button? :roll: It would be possible even now.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

No, it wouldn't, you're missing the point completely, as that would use up polies. This would save polies to allow more detailed cars, whilst no polygon would be see-through (for example, in rear wings, this would be particularly helpful) - the new game, or the car editor for it, would simply generate the polies in inverted form in addition to the existing polies. I know what I mean, but am not sure how to describe it better.
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

I know what you say... there are many moments that i have to choose between a Rear Wing that doesnt disappear or a more detailed front wing, bumper, headlights, etc... allowing more polies would kill the challenge of making a model in 40 polygons max, so, the double sided polies seems a great idea... it would impact the game performance as the game would show 80 polygons per car, it's like showing 12 cars in game but only in 6 cars, but this may not be a problem in most PCs, even the cheapest ones... :shrug:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'm still advocating a higher poly limit of, say, 60 polies/40 vertexes, but at least you see the point I was making. And it would be for the next generation of GeneRally, so it would be written into the game from the start, and thus wouldn't cause any problems. :)
LegoDino77

Post by LegoDino77 »

In next GeneRally, I hope there will be 12-32 Cars (Yea I know... Thats a lot!) in big races... Think ;D! GeneRally is that close racing all of the time! So think what would happen whit 32 cars in big track! (Okay I know that will never gonna happen!)
And if I would choose, I would add two cameras 1:The normal 2:You see closely your car, camera follows your car from the sky. And on the corner is the map of the track and you see all the racers in there!

Just my ideas ;D
JWong

Post by JWong »

Maybe real reflective car surfaces?
Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

Maybe shelter for the stands with lights? Explain the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

- Parked Cars

A parked car moving in a road-cone like way. The appearance it has should be a random car chosen from the cars folder.
You can crash into it and it will move a small bit and act like what a real GR car would do when it is crashed into with damage on, even when damage is set to zero. To make it not look like any other cars the first color of it should be the same as the second color, and vice versa.

- Color/Custom Wall

A custom wall which you can choose the type, length, and color of the wall. This would be REALLY useful!

- Different cameras

I know that GR was meant to be top down but it would be cool if there were replay cameras and action-like cameras for when you finish the race or watch a replay. This would be really cool for making montages.
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

- Adding .png stickers on your car in the CE?
- Camera view where it highlights your car from behind, aka rear view, just like in Red Kart Racer flashgame
- When your car is obstructed by objects, there's an outline indicating your car
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

-More accurate laptimes.
This means that thousandths of a second should be included. For the game whose laps are so short this is "must to add" option.

-Chasing camera. It should be included on the way that will not ruin spirit of the game. It should have fixed angle to the car where zoom should be changeable by players. It should also be possible to turn off. Local multiplayer doesn't need it, so split screen is not needed.
This option will finally make possible to play big tracks with no eyes damaging. :rolleyes:

-Online multiplayer

Also:
I think that it's nothing bad for GR developers looking a little bit to other similar top-down games. I'm also playing Turbo Sliders (2D game) for a years, and that's the game that GR can copy a lot of cool features and ideas from.
Turbo Sliders + GenneRally would give the most powerful combination for this game type which could result with an unbeatable game in this genre for whole far future.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Whiplash wrote:-Chasing camera. It should be included on the way that will not ruin spirit of the game. It should have fixed angle to the car where zoom should be changeable by players. It should also be possible to turn off. Local multiplayer doesn't need it, so split screen is not needed.
This option will finally make possible to play big tracks with no eyes damaging. :rolleyes:
Hmm... Did you have the same way of suggesting chase camera like I do? :scratch:
Whiplash wrote:-Online multiplayer
One Does Not Simply put the online feature on GR. In other words, there never will be, it's part of its charm.
Whiplash wrote:Also:
I think that it's nothing bad for GR developers looking a little bit to other similar top-down games. I'm also playing Turbo Sliders (2D game) for a years, and that's the game that GR can copy a lot of cool features and ideas from.
Turbo Sliders + GeneRally would give the most powerful combination for this game type which could result with an unbeatable game in this genre for whole far future.

Efff yea! And speaking of TS-like features, AI Lines based on player's replay.

Also taking into consideration:
- Power vs. Handling car settings
- More advanced AI racers' driving traits, such as "aggressive" AIs that won't let their rivals outrun them, "symphatetic" AIs that save your butt from being crashed, etc. These can be done by determining their traits. more details coming soon
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Rendy wrote:Hmm... Did you have the same way of suggesting chase camera like I do? :scratch:
Nope. Type of camera you suggested is just like in all those new games (NFS kind of). In my suggestion camera would be fixed and just fallow the car from one angle. That would be almost the same as GR is now, only a little improved. Here is one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_fd3xElgs

You can see the difference easy here in this video (click on 1:08)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhOA6h3LYo
Rendy wrote:One Does Not Simply put the online feature on GR. In other words, there never will be, it's part of its charm.
That's wrong altitude. One game can't lose it's charm if it gets one new option. It's only questionable if some option should be changed/modified or not.