New feature - topic rating

Important notifications about forum and its maintenance.
Von Mantov

Re: New feature - topic rating

Post by Von Mantov »

one other idea could be reduced from five to three the stars ...
I noticed that people do not even assign one or two stars... if the work is entirely insufficient users prefer not to vote ... at most, to force people to vote would be enough to unlock the download after the vote
and make them able to change it at a later time ..
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Forcing people to vote is a bad idea, and a 3-star rating system doesn't give enough info. Do we really need the rating system at all?
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

mantov wrote:to force people to vote would be enough to unlock the download after the vote and make them able to change it at a later time ..
Not good at all. We don't want to force people to do anything and this would also mean most rating would be done on basis of looks alone since they wouldn't be bothered to change it afterwards.
Von Mantov

Post by Von Mantov »

I understand your disappointment ...
but in this way simply does not work ...

"Do we really need the rating system at all?"
no...in this mode We do not need it...
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

why such a discussion, does it do any harm being there? I use it occasionally, but not all the tracks, it can be a useful tool for some perhaps, but it isnt in the way of people who dont use it :shrug:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Neither I'm sure, why the fatalistic tone in black-or-white logic in some posts. Now it already is giving some valuable info, not that it's useless, a small feedback still is a feedback, more useful than nothing. I'd like to rather find out, how to make it more effective, what's the weak place - If we are not interested in it as much as I estimated (like Luke suggests) or if we generally wish it but don't understand, that it won't do for us anything useful without active input at first place or because we don't feel any big need to rate because in general we agree with the rating created by submitting of first few ratings (like bduddy says if I understand correctly) or because of some other reasons? According this answer we'll know if the right measure is a tweak of the system, its turn-off or doing anything other. :scratch:
Von Mantov

Post by Von Mantov »

I have a stupid but simple idea ... and if we use the usual sistem rating
like youtube and facebook?

thumbs up or thumbs down ... maybe a possibility
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Due similar reasons like facebook will never add a dislike button I hesitate about the negative part of scale.

May be improvement, that topic index(es) would be showing either one or no star for each topic, so rating itself would be only by number of collected stars (e.g. one track 6x given a star, other track twice, another never - instead of comparisons by average marks)? Somehow analogy of how many ''liked/bookmarked'' like mantov says?

I switched Cars subforum to something like it would look, but now you can see there also few 1/2 or 0 stars. I can fix it to look like lower part of the index looks (either one full yellow star or nothing), if necessary, so ignore it from consideration.

In any case I wonder if it can bring a difference, if the issue is in amount user input. Opinions, please? :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

This looks as utterly pointless as the ten star one. Just leave it as the 5 star rating system!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I don't see it to be utterly pointless (like number of ''likes'' can be collected at fb or ''+1s'' at g+, then also number of collected stars can be, it's just difference of symbol, I can even change the symbol for e.g. :up: instead of star). But it's experiment just for now, I'll certainly turn it back to 5 stars there, if it's bad! :-)

It's rather about possible change from rating on scale to simple number of Likes (by whatever symbol) vs no like (by no mark).

More feedback, please?
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yeah, I think that 5 stars is better, especially because some of the threads currently have half star ratings on them, and you can only give a full star rating.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Ignore the few half stars, it's not important for final version, it wouldn't be there anywhere including not behind old topics. Don't focus on appearance so much ATM, rather logic of the system. ;)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

You can do something like this if you want: ImageImageImageImageImage
It could be possible instead of having the stars in the menu/everywhere, but not too sure about it ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

This could give a good rating too, but I don't think it would help at same time to create encouraging feedback, especially for inexperienced car/trackmakers. Analogy to the mentioned intentional lack of negative ''dislike'' button at fb. The no/small/big positive feedback measured merely by number of collected ''likes'' faces to this problem.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I'll just leave my :2c:
In my eyes the general problem is that too few people use the rating system. I'm not a good example here myself - I think I maybe gave a vote to every 10th or 15th topic created here :? I don't know (a) how it's possible to encourage people to vote (b) if it's neccessary to have the system at all (c) who makes use of the votes. Yes, sure, the votings can give a rough overview over the quality of the posted content, but most of the track's topics for instance have 4-5 stars anyway, so it'sn ot much of a help... :|
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I agree with you, that all were trying to answer in previous posts too, without a final conclusion. :? Who uses it, it is obvious - people while downloading but equally authors while watching, if people like their effort (together with no. of downloads, no. and content of comments).

Just point to last sentence - if we don't have enough votes to create satisfyingly different average marks, then mere counting of given Likes removes the issue. That's why big social networks chose it, it's universal.
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

XYY wrote:I'll just leave my :2c:
In my eyes the general problem is that too few people use the rating system. I'm not a good example here myself - I think I maybe gave a vote to every 10th or 15th topic created here :? I don't know (a) how it's possible to encourage people to vote (b) if it's neccessary to have the system at all (c) who makes use of the votes. Yes, sure, the votings can give a rough overview over the quality of the posted content, but most of the track's topics for instance have 4-5 stars anyway, so it'sn ot much of a help... :|
I see things similar as XYY. IMO the rating system is kind of senseless/useless as it is at the moment. Theoretically a sort of "Like" version (as metnioned before) would work better IMO
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

While it's not working at all right now, I do think a "like" system could work - it seems to just fine at some other forums I've been to...
I like short, simple signatures!
Niko K

Post by Niko K »

I prefer the like system, but it would be good if you could see the amount of likes without mouseover if possible.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
Von Mantov

Post by Von Mantov »

IMO
stars to vote as too demanding ...
if there is a track of a new track maker i would prefer to be able to encourage .... but how can I do? 1 stars 2 or 3....five???
thumbs up
  however, can give encouragement to improve trackmaking
and does not mean they masterpiece or just enough ... it means positive evaluation
if we combine this with the number of downloads we can understand what are the most well evaluated ... and I bet we would have many more votes than now ... (vote with the stars requires more reasoning and responsibility)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The case three:

Because of abusive use of this feature also the user ExiooPL is no longer allowed to rate threads, also all his past ratings were deleted.

Details: Rated 12 times, 10 times by 1. Lowest ratings for threads like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and several other cases has nothing with honest evaluating of the content.