[cir] [tpk] Mini F1

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

[cir] [tpk] Mini F1

Post by Scholl »

Hi Guys,

I released a previous version of this trackpack on planetgenerally before I think.
Well, I updated all the tracks to GR 1.2 and I think I´m ready to release it here now.

There are 14 tracks in the pack. Each of them is "based" on a real life F1-circuit.
Now, these are no real life tracks. They are all WS 100.
I tried to make the tracks "similar" to their big brothers.
And to maybe recreate some of the most famous corners in F1.
(Like the Eau Rouge, the Motordrom in Hockenheim, or the Spoon of Suzuka)

You should be able to recognize the tracks at first sight...that was my intention.

So have fun with it. :bg:
More tracks will probably come soon...

Oh, and a special "Thank you" to XYY (even if he might not know why).
If I remember right, It was his track Miniturkey (I think) that inspired me to this pack. :up:
Attachments
2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
Mini F1.zip
(480.27 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] [tpk] Mini F1

Post by nielske »

Oh that's cool--I once tried to make a track pack like that. I only ever did the Hungaroring and Sepang (they were never released). It was based on the idea that the wonderful, faithful recreations that some track makers produce are often beautiful, but not 'optimal' for GeneRally racing.

I have give this track pack a try later today!
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Great tracks :bg: Suzuka was gun to drive
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I amused myself watching the madness of the AI :D :popcorn: Like GeneSuomi, I find Suzuka due to its eye-candy PoV the best. :yummy:
Glen

Post by Glen »

I like those tracks to but I would invert tarmac 1 and 2, because the bridge doesn´t fit with the track.
ACM

Post by ACM »

I definitely agree with nielske's assessment. The problem with, say, Maciej1's beautiful renditionings of real life circuits, and in fact many real life circuits in general, is they just aren't very fun to drive on in this game. At least not with the default cars.

These circuits on the other hand are perfect for GeneRally racing. :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Scholl wrote:Oh, and a special "Thank you" to XYY (even if he might not know why).
If I remember right, It was his track Miniturkey (I think) that inspired me to this pack. :up:
:shout: It was called Minturkey!! ;)
About the tracks, you already know my general critics (that the track should run where there is the concrete border of the track, also that you shouldn't change the layout completely, and so on... :cool2: ), so I'll rather comment on the tracks that are new (or that I've forgotten since the last time you made the pack :shhh: )
- China, Hockenheim, Malaysia and Melbourne could get a better grass dithering
- What purpose do the red dots at kerbs in Hockenheim serve? I don't like them. :| Also the dotted line at the pit entrance is maybe a bit too small compared to the track's actual size - maybe 2x1 px would have worked better...
- the booths at pit of Hungaroring have small gaps between each other
- the blue/white logos at Malaysia look a bit messy
- The colour areas at Malaysia and Melbourne would have looked better without dithering. I think I commented that they shouldn't be all in one colour, so you may think my comment is a bit contradictory. But you could try to put some textures there, e.g. like at Aviazione by Mr.J outside the last corner section
- Why does Monaco have some icy pixels at the cliffs? It looks so strange :doh: Also I think the hmap is quite bad in general. Especially the S-F straight should be a lot smoother, next you can even see that it's a bumpy uphill and not a smooth (although this may have been your intention), and then there is a drop far outside the first corner which is just not neccessary. Also at Monaco, in the 3rd corner the concrete posts don't seem to be rotated, while they are rotated in the 1st corner. Why? :? As you can see, Monaco is my least liked track, but there's something more to add: the pool. At it's left border the concrete wall runs over the concrete wall which seperates infield from track. Although (a) you're not supposed to go there and (b) it hasn't got much effect considering the very dangerous concrete posts, it looks a bit strange and is simply unneccessary. Also, why does the house go "over" the pool? :doh:
- At Spa, there's a tree on the access road in top :shhh: Also the Foster's logo looks visually a bit messed up
- It's okay if the track width changes a bit but in the last corner of Spain it's too much for my taste.
- The area in the left of Suzuka looks a bit plain. But this may have been your intention as well.
- In Valencia, the dithering over logos looks very bad. Please keep the original shape instead. Also there, you haven't yet fixed (or haven't been able to fix) the shading of the bridge/pedestrian bridge

Of course I don't doubt that driving these tracks is fun (apart from monaco maybe because I always fly too far :shock: ), but I think with these (small) improvements your pack can be even better! :bg: And I like most the Hungaroring :yummy:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

XYY wrote: also that you shouldn't change the layout completely, and so on... :cool2: )
I think you're quite wrong IMHO in considering this as a con, because you confuse concept of ''petit'' tracks (or how to call it - cute small tracks using faithful rwl layout but fic enviroment like Minza, Zandfaart, Out on park etc) with a pretty different, even slightly opposite concept. ;)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Yup, I know these aren't meant to completely resemble the layout, rather only the style. But I prefer the "petit" tracks anyhow... ;)
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Thank you for you detailed comments and criticism!
I totally agree with you on most of the points you mentioned. I will make some more tracks for the pack and update the others considering all the things you´ve mentioned.
About Monaco...I know the whole track is a little fu*ked up...but I spent hours and hours on the objects, the lmap and especially hmap of this stupid track. (It was probably the track I spent most time on in all my trackmaking history...)
Always updating, adding, removing stuff...so it´s actually still one big construction site.
I might build it from scratch again for the next update!

The red dots in Hockenheim are some sort of extra kerbs that should keep the drivers from driving next to the road...they will be updated...
The fosters logo is actually not visible with my screen resolution, so I didn´t remove it...but I know it looks bad!
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

I liked monaco... but its too bumpy and the cliff textures dont look very good... well... people here told the truth, i have nothing more too add, btw, you are going to update and add more tracks, if you make Yas Marina i wonder how it will looks like :D
Steelronin

Post by Steelronin »

Scholl, Every single track ever, needs one of those Turkey chicane's

SO VERY AWESOME
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

I just want to come back to say that I really enjoyed driving on these tracks. I especially enjoyed Suzuka -- love the sweeping turns -- and the Hungaroring -- even though the overall shape of the layout doesn't at all remind me of the Hungaroring. I also found Melbourne really fun to drive. At first I thought the track was too 'forgiving' and that you could cut the corners too much, but it actually gave the track a really good feeling of 'speed', which is just how a street track should feel.

Monaco was a bit of a pain, but then again -- it's supposed to be ;)

There are a few minor design flaws and some sloppy editing here and there (but that's already largely been pointed out). Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed your track pack.
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
CaLu

Post by CaLu »

Looks fun, but I recognize Adelaide in what you call Spa.

Download it now, comment it further later.

Greetings, CaLu.
Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

CaLu wrote:Looks fun, but I recognize Adelaide in what you call Spa.

Download it now, comment it further later.

Greetings, CaLu.
Now that you mention...it does have some Adelaide in it! :P
To finish first, first you have to finish!
Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

Great Job !! :bg: but where is Monza ?? :doctor:
Bunchies

Post by Bunchies »

ACM wrote:I definitely agree with nielske's assessment. The problem with, say, Maciej1's beautiful renditionings of real life circuits, and in fact many real life circuits in general, is they just aren't very fun to drive on in this game. At least not with the default cars.

These circuits on the other hand are perfect for GeneRally racing. :)
Perhaps not with default cars, but with a proper F1 or touring car pack, the real world versions are amazing to drive. Having driven the tracks in many other more sophisticated racing sims, it is very surprising how accurate the rhythm of the track is and how close some of the corners feel. You can tell how much care went into replicating the h-map in order to make each corner drive as close to life as possible.

It's very easy to fall into a rhythm when racing very competitive AI for 20+ kilometers. They are quite amazing in my opinion, and the incredible nuances of the tracks really began to show themselves after I practiced, qualified, and raced on them in GRF1 championship. You can feel the tire and fuel changes throughout the stint, it's fantastic.

Top 3 racing games ever with the cars and tracks that we get. :bg: :bg:
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

I'm in love with the pack. ^^
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: /5