Sports. Active!

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
GeneSuomi

Re: Hobbies

Post by GeneSuomi »

Do you have real sponsors?
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

It'd be cool if you made nice GR logo sticker and put it on your car :D. It must be fun to race this car :).
Glen

Post by Glen »

GeneSuomi wrote:Do you have real sponsors?
Yes, they are all real sponsors, but i have to fight to get the stickers, because they all don't care... :rofl:
only 3 gaved me stickers, those who forgot to give last year :yawn:
Mad Dan wrote:It must be fun to race this car :).
during the race, no. Because it's... racing. it's after you've done a good or bad race, than you are satisfied ... or not. :meditate:

For example, during the 2nd race, i broke my 2nd gear. But i was happy because of the guy who did action painting on my car in less of a second (i mean the a**h*** with his Rear wheel drive 205 who soiled my car with mud)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Glen, is the helmet displayed on your avatar yours which you use in your races? :)
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Glen wrote:
GeneSuomi wrote:Do you have real sponsors?
Yes, they are all real sponsors, but i have to fight to get the stickers, because they all don't care... :rofl:
only 3 gaved me stickers, those who forgot to give last year :yawn:
In Finnish humorshow called Kummeli had one sketch in which rally driver ask his co driver to book a hotelroom.
"We don't have any money"
"We should, we have sponsors... Don't say that you took those stickers for free.."
"No, I really paid for them."
:D
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Glen

Post by Glen »

DuklaLiberec wrote:Glen, is the helmet displayed on your avatar yours which you use in your races? :)
of course!! :)

I wasn't able to take a foto just after the 2nd race, i have Roll-Off glasse, like in motocross.

The race was like this : the track was made on a bonked ground (5% maybe)
Start 2nd line on the left (on the low side of the track), good start :), the guy who started from the same line came in front of me, (1 second later) I see nothing!!!, took me again a half second to realize than i have to slow down and to use the cleaning system of my glasses, (yet i saw the track again) yes i can see the track, but in the wrong way, I did an 180 during the time i cleaned my glasses, in front of all the crowd I did a BEAUTIFUL reverse, when I hit the rev-limiter, I turned the steering very fast with one hand while the right one was putting the first gear!

I will remember this!!!

it's a bad & good thing than i wasn't able to put a camera on this car :
bad reason : it's better to show it to you than to tell it
good reason : the film only be 10s long, because of all the mud :)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Just learned how to compress videos.
Last years races, with my Ford Sierra.

I drifted a lot in the last vid! :) (Wet + Rear Wheel drive + front mont engine)

Bad that i wasn't able to take some vid's this year... it would be great to see the cam be dirty 5sec after start :)
Martyn

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Martyn »

My helmet camera arrived today. Hopefully will have some cool karting vids for you guys soon
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Martyn

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Martyn »

Here's a few pics of me from round 2 of the British Rental Kart Championship at Buckmore Park on Sunday
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
All pics copyright http://jammotorsportphotography.co.uk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Wasn't sure where to post this but should mention that for the past two years now, I've been cycling as a hobby. I woudn't say it's a sport for me since I don't compete. I'd like to get fit enough to do a 250km ride around the Melbourne bay area (which takes the whole day :scared: ) but I'm a bit off yet. Furthest I've done in a day is about 110km.

And my weapon of choice. Set me back a bit over $4000 last year after I got all the gear... The cycling computer alone is about $350. :o Oh, it does have pedals too, they just were being put on after the picture was taken. :doh:
View my archived circuits/cars here
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Sports

Post by Trigger Happy »

@ Crowella: moved to correct one. :) (It's somehow surprising how long the theme was inactive ... Edit: reviewed Hobbies thread and moved what should have been moved/posted here.)

BTW wonderful bike! :up:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Sports. Active!

Post by Lukeno94 »

It's not a sport as he doesn't compete :p
Areen

Post by Areen »

I WANT YOUR BIKE! :faint: By the way I'm going to buy this: http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/ ... e+Lite+900
cocney

Post by cocney »

Does anybody here follows basketball?
I like that sport so much and I can't see you talking abut it...

Did somebody here trained karate?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The bike looks impressive, but I'll stick with my slightly tatty mountain bike. I just stuck two puncture-resistant Schwalbe tyres, two brand new Schwalbe tubes, brand new front and rear lights, and a brand new Charge Spoon saddle (bright red!) on after all. Despite being a £150-ish bike when new, I've never ridden anything with such responsive steering, it's almost BMX-like, although the brakes leave a lot to be desired (weak discs)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Thanks. I was trying to find this thread but amazingly I couldn't find it. Must be going blind. :rofl:

@Areen - Merida's are great value bikes and that one looks great.
@Luke - Sometimes I'd say your bike is better because you can ride it almost anywhere. I assume the tyres have been great too (puncutres suck). I can't ride my expensive one into town, dirt roads are a no go and any crash means I basically have to buy a new frame :ashamed:

Here's my other bicycle (is it normal to own more than one?). I do my shopping and occassionally travel on this but right now I need to replace the wheels since they have buckled a bit and the chain and set because they've done over 5000km and are a bit worn out. :scared:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

My wheels are slightly warped, but there's no point fixing/replacing them as the roads are far too rough and filled with holes. I've ridden through some sharp things (without realising) and am yet to have an issue, so I hope they work. I don't understand why anyone would buy a road bike without some kind of suspension, to be honest, but that's just me. Also, 5000 km on one bike? That's impressive!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

If they're only slightly, you can get the spokes readjusted and it could fix it up a bit.

Bike suspension is an odd one too. I think it's more to reduce mechanical damage rather than ease the bumps for riding. I can't see the use of suspension on a road bike because it is an unneccesary weight. There are a few technologies on road bikes that act as suspension where a lot of companies designed a second road racing frame for bumpy roads.

As a comparison, the black bike weighs about 7-8kg. The silver bike weighs about 14kg in that configuration. The black bike goes about 20% quicker and actually feels smoother than the silver bike. That said, my silver bike is much more comfortable even if you do feel the bumps harder.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Weight and speed aren't really a consideration for me - my bike goes fast enough for me downhill, but on flat land I'm nowhere near fit enough to ride it at high speeds for long distances, so :D My bike's not exactly lightweight either, although I think the frame was supposed to be aluminium (that might be me misremembering). I will admit my suspension doesn't seem to do much, but then, I've never ridden a bike without suspension on regular roads. Big roundabouts can be quite fun...
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Scholl »

Nice to see some other cyclists around here!!

Here´s mine:

I have it for seven years now. I can´t tell how many kilometers I´ve spent on it so far (definitly more than 10000)
but I drove threw Peru and Bolivia with it last year and just two weeks ago I returned from my tour
from Madrid to my home town in Germany.
I went threw a lot with this bike and over the years it really grew on my heart!

I´m currently thinking about buying a road bike.
@Crowella: I´m REALLY jealous about yours! ;)
Anyhow my limit is 1500€.
Can anybody give me any advice on a brand or a model?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Scholl wrote:Can anybody give me any advice on a brand or a model?
Specialized, for instance (like in Crowella's second bicycle), should be a reasonable one ;)
Areen

Post by Areen »

Crowella wrote:Here's my other bicycle (is it normal to own more than one?). I do my shopping and occassionally travel on this but right now I need to replace the wheels since they have buckled a bit and the chain and set because they've done over 5000km and are a bit worn out. :scared:
It's really normal :) I have 4 bikes xD And I'm gonna buy my 5th one ;p
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Don't know where best to put this (or if I'm even allowed) so I'll put it here.

http://www.fivesquids.co.uk/Advertising ... -race-suit
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

@Scholl, with 1500 euros, I'd go for about any bike that has "Shimano 105" "groupset" on it or better. Best time to buy a bike is when they are bringing the new model in for the year. If you get the older bike, you can save a lot of money.

A good budget brand (at least here) is Giant. Other brands include Trek, Specialized, Wilier, Colnago, Cannondale, Look, De Rosa. There are heaps of brands. Really, any brand you see in any professional tour will have a good road bike in that price range for you. (like the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta_a_España, etc;). Basically, try out a lot of bikes and find the one you like. I like my Avanti which is a NZ brand. They used to be similar to Specialized and kind of show it a bit but they've been making some very good quality bikes in the past few years and this one was my favourite to choose because of how I felt it handled.

Had to upload this shot of my bike from this morning's ride. It rained shortly after.

Areen

Post by Areen »

So, this is it :)