Official GeneRally feature request list

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Elit3noob

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by Elit3noob »

Lukeno94 wrote:Well, this sort of thing simply would not fit in the regular GeneRally - which is a simple arcade racing game, and all it should ever be.
Yes I definitely agree that Generally is an arcade racing game, but as an offline game it should have more features (not just stuffing it with tons and tons of tracks and cars and palettes and miscellaneous tool programs). For example the plain backgrounds, or not even Generally's own music, nor a LAN/internet ability, nor an achievement section is in the game.
haha tricked you ;P
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I disagree. The whole attraction of GeneRally is its simplicity. Sticking loads of features like this directly into the main copy of GeneRally would be against the spirit of the game. I play GeneRally so I can immediately race cars on any track without any of this - if I want this, I play Gran Turismo, or GTGR.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Elit3noob wrote:an achievement section
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that things like off-line campaign modes and achievements don't have a place in what is essentially a "sandbox racer". If you put in a campaign, achievements, etc... you lost a lot of the "do whatever the heck I want" factor in many cases. I'd flip tables in pure unadulterated nerd anger if I had to slug through an annoying as hell events list against idiot AI drivers who either cheat like hell (Forza and GRID) or are completely non-competitive in an equal car to my own (Gran Turismo) just so I can have the race setup exactly the way I want it. And achievements can easily be cheated by modded cars/tracks or hacks anyways, so it's pointless.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet so I post 3 of my suggestions
(a) You can set the starting folder in the gr.ini (like now it's always the 5 TuomoH's tracks, or if you renamed the folder, all tracks).
(b) You can activate a "competition mode" in gr.ini which will automatically save a screenshot and a savegame (and maybe also trackfile :scratch: ?) so that it never happens "Oh man, I clicked and then forgot to save".
(c) A simple timer in the race, maybe also being enabled/disabled in gr.ini or in the game menu.
And another thing, why are there two files which manage the settings/options of :gr: (namely gr.ini and options.set)? I think it could/should be all in one file like the .ini (so that each one can change it). But maybe it's worth to do this only in the sequel to GR. :shrug:
Glen

Post by Glen »

What do you think about it, just a better helmet
I think it´s not difficult to do and could be nice to see it in the next generally.
I randomly took this from BBA´s [ser] [for] Formula 1 1987
If i´m not allowed to use the picture, say it to me.

PS: don´t zoom.
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (14.86 KiB) Viewed 13858 times
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

I have no issues with anyone using a picture lol! Otherwise nice idea its very effective!
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

An option to choose how many extra laps will be run in a timed race
Hiawatha

Post by Hiawatha »

Two different AIs. Normal AI what generally use now and Formula AI which works like normal AI but dont drive allways on your rear. :)

I hope you understand what I tried tell you!
Elit3noob

Post by Elit3noob »

How about stints in GR? I think it would be nice to have stints so that it would be much more strategic to win races. There would also be a limit to how many you can choose: 1-no. of laps/km chosen
haha tricked you ;P
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

@up: actual is enough ;)
Allan Simonsen, Sean Edwards, Andrea de Cesaris, Renzo Zorzi, Jules Bianchi... God please save my buddies... hope that more won't ever go away too fast
Glen

Post by Glen »

Maybe a good little idea : updating race position each checkpoints, not each lap.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Increase the maximum lap time to allow for longer tracks.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

puttz wrote:Increase the maximum lap time to allow for longer tracks.
And how long races do you want to have? I think, that 255 minutes (laps or kilometres) is long enough.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

FRUKIScze wrote:
And how long races do you want to have? I think, that 255 minutes (laps or kilometres) is long enough.
He said maximum lap time, meaning more than 60 seconds for a lap - at the moment you don't get lap times for longer tracks than one minute (which is annoying). ;)
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

TuomoH wrote:He said maximum lap time, meaning more than 60 seconds for a lap - at the moment you don't get lap times for longer tracks than one minute (which is annoying). ;)
:doh: Sorry Puttz. I read it wrong. And that is good idea. :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

TuomoH wrote:
FRUKIScze wrote:
He said maximum lap time, meaning more than 60 seconds for a lap - at the moment you don't get lap times for longer tracks than one minute (which is annoying). ;)
Anyway, having longer tracks without having chasing camera will not make any sense. If the camera is stationary, small tracks are the only rational. Why create tracks where cars will look like ants and not to be drivable?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

They talk about tracks as they are in GR now, i.e. very long layout (like this) placed within current map limits & driven with a rather slow car resulting in time 60+ secs. Noone talks about bigger maps or anything else, which would make chasing camera necessary to anything. :roll:
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

Trigger Happy wrote:They talk about tracks as they are in GR now, i.e. very long layout (like this) placed within current map limits & driven with a rather slow car resulting in time 60+ secs. Noone talks about bigger maps or anything else, which would make chasing camera necessary to anything. :roll:
Oh, I see the point. I didn't even know before that there is such a limitation. They probably didn't have enough space on the screen to implement it on the way you desired.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I updated the list with recent suggestions, you can find the file in the first post. :bsmile:

At the same time I'd like to express my wish. Not for the GR sequel, but for the good old original.
We got quite a few new features with the 1.10 and above, that sparked our interest in the game once again. What I have always missed the most weren't new gameplay features, also not new and fancy objects, but GUI improvements in the game and especially in TE. Nothing, that would change in any way the game itself, but features, that would allow us (I mean track- and carmakers) more comfort in making our addons.

I know you guys are 100% working on a new GeneRally now, but somewhere in my heart I'm still hoping for a 1.3. :taped:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Bigger screen of track editor with larger screen would be awesome for the old GR.
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

A faster way to go from Track Editor to seeing the track in-game. Basically meaning a button in the new TE that lets you see the track in-game with one click, even race on it.

And going back to TE would be as fast and easy, too.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I realized I have a request :).

Could there be such a thing as car description that would be visible in menu while choosing car? Because when I make carpacks like WRC with liveries from particular season I have a struggle whether to name the car with the name of the car Ford Fiesta RS WRC or with the name of team/driver like Mikko Hirvonen, M-Sport Ford. So if there was such a thing as visible description I would be able to name the car Ford Fiesta RS WRC but under the name there would be visible who is the driver ;). I think it would be useful for other car types as well.
Attachments
shot0025.png
Zaekyr

Post by Zaekyr »

Well, I really like some of what they have added over the years (very nice that those that helped to make those changes kept the game stable). The Armco Barriers are excellent though I did not much care for the road cones (not that they shouldn't exist just that I would have chosen other things). The more recent palette changing on the fly is awesome! Now here is to my list:

1. I would like to see a no refueling pits option perhaps like a checkmark in racing options so Formula and Rally racing could be more intense (I am sure it has been mentioned before and that it probably requires some AI "switching" but it would be a huge leap).

2. Sorry, but another thing I believe I have seen mentioned (please just consider this another vote for the idea), two story brick houses as another track object.

3. The most important track object not in the game, A flag man stand. Yeah sure you can kind of simulate one, but wouldn't an actual stand be nice? And maybe even with a person or 2 to stand on it? Maybe also able to wave a flag? (limit to one per track so it isn't abused?)

4. Being able to switch car and driver sets would also nice though I understand much harder to implement. I myself, like others have started to keep multiple GR folders to keep racing categories separated (and I would download and keep more if I could). If we had a header above car selection/drivers area to click on for a dropdown to select a particular folder with cars and drivers files that can be selected for the particular racing mood your in would be another massive leap for the game.
puttz

Post by puttz »

There is a car management application that someone has made which you can use to create and load your own carsets to the car folder, and it can erase the cars that are in there already. You'd have to do drivers manually, although it would be nice if someone made an application that could do the same thing for drivers rather than having to manually move drivers around.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
jefcam

Generally New Version Request

Post by jefcam »

Hopefully in the near future will have the sequel to Generally.

But every day I play Generally (the original) alone with the AI (5 drivers) I have a lot of good time and great fun.

The only thing that this game needs is to have the option to have more AI on track. This is not a feature like adding multiplayer which requires coding and re-coding and hard work.

I'm just asking if it is possible that we have this option added to have more than 5 AI drivers..

WHO SUPPORTS THIS IDEA?