open Transport Tycoon Deluxe discussion thread

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
FRUKIScze

open Transport Tycoon Deluxe discussion thread

Post by FRUKIScze »

Who plays open TTD?
This thread is about this famous game! Show your transport groups, your railway creations, custom maps, etc.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: open Transport Tycoon Deluxe discussion thread

Post by Herbal »

Yay, it's a good idea. Although I don't count myself as a keen manager, I've got a Carpatian Basin scenario based on actual SRTM height models (thank lord I've also studied remote sensing... :cool:) and is actually half-done, with current area of Hungary and close-border cities to neighboring countries. Pictures soon!
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Sounds great Herbal. Send here a link, when it will be ready and post some pics. Btw. My best career is American Airlines a.s. I started here in 2010 and now is 2051 and I have company value 11,827,249,992Czk that is £288,469,512 that is 109,041,475,536 Ft. I have 8 trains, 353 road vehicles and 135 aircraft. In Company league table I am 'tycoon' and in detailed performance rating I have 1000/1000 points.
:winner: Beat it!!
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

How about Simutrans? It's a very similar game, but I've found it to be more user-friendly...
I like short, simple signatures!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I have to admit I haven't played TTDX or OTTD in a long while, mostly because there are enough of newer manager games to be played. I think I have racked the most hours into Cities in Motion. But then there's stuff like Traffic Manager where I've dug into.

@bduddy: So is Simutrans actually good, solid game these days? I remember having played it ages ago and back then it just felt so shallow, buggy and... Well kinda bad honestly, that I reverted back to other manager games immediately.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

1nsane wrote:@bduddy: So is Simutrans actually good, solid game these days? I remember having played it ages ago and back then it just felt so shallow, buggy and... Well kinda bad honestly, that I reverted back to other manager games immediately.
Yeah, when looking for more info I found a lot of topics saying similar things, but IMO it's pretty solid now - runs fast on my (admittedly good) computer, no crashes, no really obvious lacking features... Of course it will always be somewhat subjective, but I think it's good. Pretty hard, actually, I think I may have given an incorrect impression that it's easy to do well, but good...
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Has been a staple ever since I got an original copy of TT/TTD back in 1997, 10 pounds each or therebouts. Best 20 quid ever spent, I'm still playing them (now in Open form obviously).
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Nice to see, and that this thread is running up. I'm playing original ttd too (sometimes). Or anyone played locomotion?
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I gave Simutrans a go. It has definitely gotten better from since I last played it (Propably almost 10 years ago...). They have learned that Transport Tycoon Deluxe is the one to copy, which is just a good thing. But now the problem is, they have too much going on. While the choises in TTDX when building a road are "build left-right" or "build up-down", Simutrans has 5 different speeds for the roads, two types of those speed roads (one with and one without a power cable) Then there's, what, 6 different bus stops, 3 parking lots, and the total amount of buttons on that list is about 30. And I know, some of these would be hidden when playing with the timeline, but still the menu system and building stuff is just so awkward in it. Then all of the important information is hidden under buttons and tabs. The "too much going on" also happens on the maps, with everything being covered with too many trees. The gameplay was nice, everything works as intended, but sometimes too much is just too much.
I'll have to give it a bit of a longer go to see if it gets bearable and enjoyable once I get used to it.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

1nsane wrote:I gave Simutrans a go. It has definitely gotten better from since I last played it (Propably almost 10 years ago...). They have learned that Transport Tycoon Deluxe is the one to copy, which is just a good thing. But now the problem is, they have too much going on. While the choises in TTDX when building a road are "build left-right" or "build up-down", Simutrans has 5 different speeds for the roads, two types of those speed roads (one with and one without a power cable) Then there's, what, 6 different bus stops, 3 parking lots, and the total amount of buttons on that list is about 30. And I know, some of these would be hidden when playing with the timeline, but still the menu system and building stuff is just so awkward in it. Then all of the important information is hidden under buttons and tabs. The "too much going on" also happens on the maps, with everything being covered with too many trees. The gameplay was nice, everything works as intended, but sometimes too much is just too much.
I'll have to give it a bit of a longer go to see if it gets bearable and enjoyable once I get used to it.
Hmm... I guess I do play with timeline on and I've never had one game go on for that long, so maybe there is a lot of stuff going on that I don't notice, but I never thought it was that hard... once you play for a little while, it's not that hard to, for example, place the road you want. And the menus are mostly a subjective thing, I thought that with the line system and some other things it's pretty easy to find the information you need...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yep, I gave it a new go today. With the timeline put on and trees removed the game got notably nicer to get into. The menus are still awkward to me, but's propably also because I'm so used to the way they are organized in OTTD. One thing I like specifically in this is that the resources have to be sent in a specific destination, not just a random place. That's what I liked even back then when playing this the first time ages ago.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Simutrans can be great too, but I thing that openTTD is better :P . What about your map Herbal?
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

FRUKIScze wrote:Simtrans can be great too, but I thing that openTTD is better :P . What about your map Herbal?
Ah sure, here you have the current state of Carpatian Basin. The scenario starts at 1930, and I've tried to be accurate in geography and with some generalization to industry too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Man, the cities grow rapidly in OTTD. I don't remember getting them this big in the original TTDX. :D Some of the other cities along this same railway track have over 60 000 people in them. But this 4 city complex is the funniest bunch of them. I made two looping tracks around the cities on both sides of the main monorail section to transfer them there. But now the whole system is integrated in the city complex, consisting of about 150 000 people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That's because they didn't get this big in TTD ;) OpenTTD is so much more advanced, especially with 32bpp graphics sets, it's quite impressive.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Lukeno94 wrote:OpenTTD is so much more advanced, especially with 32bpp graphics sets, it's quite impressive.
:iagree:

And you are billionaire 1nsane :-), just like me :-P
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Herbal wrote:
FRUKIScze wrote:Simtrans can be great too, but I thing that openTTD is better :P . What about your map Herbal?
Ah sure, here you have the current state of Carpatian Basin. The scenario starts at 1930, and I've tried to be accurate in geography and with some generalization to industry too.
Sorry for no comment Herbal, but I cant run your map, because i'm missing some graphics. :(
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

FRUKIScze wrote:
Herbal wrote:
Sorry for no comment Herbal, but I cant run your map, because i'm missing some graphics. :(
Ah yes, I haven't told, that I've applied for the scenario several GRFs. However you can check in OpenTTD, which GRFs are missing from your computer, if I remember right... :sweatdrop:
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Herbal wrote:
FRUKIScze wrote:
Herbal wrote:
Ah yes, I haven't told, that I've applied for the scenario several GRFs. However you can check in OpenTTD, which GRFs are missing from your computer, if I remember right... :sweatdrop:
I know about this method, but i don't have internet on computer :-( but only on my smartphone.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The first release candidate for version 1.3.0 came out a couple of days ago, and I can still remember when we were on like version 0.4... :D
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Lukeno94 wrote:The first release candidate for version 1.3.0 came out a couple of days ago, and I can still remember when we were on like version 0.4... :D
Really good to know. And i was still playing 1.0.4-beta about half year ago. :D :-D
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

FRUKIScze wrote:
Herbal wrote:
FRUKIScze wrote:
Herbal wrote:
I know about this method, but i don't have internet on computer :-( but only on my smartphone.
Any ideas, how to do it?
And if you'll quote my post, please do not remove this huge big quote :-D ;-)
sam1225

does any body play Open TTD

Post by sam1225 »

i play one of my favorite
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: does any body play Open TTD

Post by Doorslammer »

Not only play but also pixel draw for some mods. BR Set features my earlier works after 8 years in forum wilderness and Japan Set looks to be including some loco repaints. :)

(for comparisons, I recommend searching for images via Wikipedia or the relevant threads on TT-Forums)
RobertRacer

Re: does any body play Open TTD

Post by RobertRacer »

Sam, we have already a thread for Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff