Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
1nsane

Re: Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Post by 1nsane »

As a quick recommendation especially for the people who like mecha/robot stuff, check out Robotics;Notes. The show is about 22 episodes long, currently running in 19th episode. The show starts slowly, but now it looks like this is going to have quite an epic finisher. It isn't a traditional mecha show, but it's rather focused on the time of building the first of these things. The recommendation comes from a person who doesn't normally like this stuff, so it should be pretty good watch for the mecha lovers. :P
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

I was wondering... Is it better to say 「あなたの一生はアニメではありません」 rather than what's on my signature? :sweatdrop:
This means (or at least, I wanted it to mean) that life is not anime, because there are some people who want to live their lives like if they were in Sakurasou or any other Anime-related world.
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Thunderstrucker wrote:I was wondering... Is it better to say 「あなたの一生はアニメではありません」 rather than what's on my signature? :sweatdrop:
This means (or at least, I wanted it to mean) that life is not anime, because there are some people who want to live their lives like if they were in Sakurasou or any other Anime-related world.
From what I've learned, in general you don't use あなた unless it's totally necessary for the meaning of a sentence; leaving it general, like your signature is now, is usually better.
I like short, simple signatures!
Thunderstrucker

All right, then. I've noticed that in Japanese, there aren't any articles. That usually makes the language more difficult to me. :shrug:

I think this is better:
生活はアニメではありません
Last edited by Thunderstrucker on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderstrucker

I've just uploaded this video. :D

Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Thunderstrucker wrote:

Metal Hero series? :goodvibes:

I know, but Juspion's a Metal Hero too, like Gaban and Jiban. In fact, I'm dying about how Gaban's and Jiban's stories are...

Some random tokusatsu soundtrack for your listening pleasure...

Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Thunderstrucker

Rendy wrote:
Thunderstrucker wrote:

Metal Hero series? :goodvibes:

I know, but Juspion's a Metal Hero too, like Gaban and Jiban. In fact, I'm dying about how Gaban's and Jiban's stories are...

Some random tokusatsu soundtrack for your listening pleasure...

Oh, I've recently made one with Jiban's theme too. :D

TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Just a quick hint - don't include the actual YouTube videos in your quote. ;)

Even though I also like animes, I'm not really that familiar with the whole scene as many of you seem to be. I do have 18 anime movies on DVD as well as one series, Paranoia Agent which I enjoyed a lot. Not so surprisingly over 50% of those movies are by Miyazaki - Spirited Away started it all for me and lately has been a successful way of showing to my girlfriend that she shouldn't judge anime solely on basis of seeing Pokemon on TV. :D
Thunderstrucker

Reading and watching Aku no Hana. I love it! :D

The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I'm back! *at least for 3 days before forgetting you all again, then returning some months after, then forgetting, returning... well*

I just started K-On and got absolutely shocked at how much i've become addicted with only 2 episodes. WHY THE HELL I DIDN'T WATCH IT BEFORE!

Looking at 1nsane's post above (3-month or more delay... sorry)... i've watched Robotics;Notes and absolutely LOVED it. Although the anime had a bad finale, novel's one is pretty good, and since i enjoyed the anime, i'm fan now. Also it motivated me to watch Chaos;Head, and guess what? FULLY. AMAZED. Takumi is one of the best main characters i've seen to date. It's my favorite thriller now.

Also, Kakumeiki Valvrave. WHAT THE HELL THIS SHOW WAS. Nice OST, nice battles, CRAZY mecha-vampire action... and ERUERUFU! hahaha. Easily the best mecha anime i've watched since Code Geass. On the other side, i didn't like Shingeki no Kyojin as much as everyone. It tried to impact people, which may impress some people but not me. :/

I'm probably going to craze on September with second season for Valvrave, Kuroko no Basket, Infinite Stratos and some new titles that probably will deserve the watching. (Kill la Kill anyone?)

1nsane (if you still here): I would suggest you to open an exception on the "mecha rule" for Code Geass. You'll probably be able to ignore the mecha action that doesn't fit your style and get a bit of Lelouch's awesomeness.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Any cosplayers in here?

I'd show pics of me in costume from an Anime Boston event or something, but I'm not entirely sure.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Anime Festival Asia is coming to Indonesia in several days, wanted to go there for reasons like Gundam models, Tokusatsu characters, cosplayers, etc. Yet the ticket fee is... Sky high! That might burn my wallet faster... Plus, it's 20km+ from where I live... I'm curious how hardcore otakus are seen there...

I always consider myself as a Japanese Culture Lover, because after some article readings, I have a feeling that the word Otaku doesn't mean well, even in Japan...

Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Rendy wrote:I have a feeling that the word Otaku doesn't mean well, even in Japan...
No, in fact the connotation for Otaku is even worse in Japan than in other countries, usually used to imply someone who pursues a hobby at the cost of nearly everything else. This is why I hate it when northern American anime and manga fans throw the word around like a badge of honor, because it's a very negative word in Japan.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yeah, a fast translation/comparison would be "nerd", but in the 90's sense, not the current mediasexy way.

@The MNZ: Yeah, I have Code Geass on my "retro folder" waiting to be seen. It's just that I'm watching so many currently airing shows that I don't have time to free up the backlog so it's still kinda low on the line.

Best show of the summer has easily been Corpse Party. Well, it's propably closer to OVA. But after seeing just 10 minutes from the first episode it's quite obvious why the series will never get a TV spot. The first episode has more intestines on the walls than all of the Saw movies combined. :D

My festival summer has been totally quiet this year as the main event was sold out in two days. The other one was too far away to make it a reasonable trip. There's one more coming in a couple of weeks but meh... I'd be going just for the sales booths so maybe it's not worth the 20€ ticket plus whatever the train costs these days.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

So anime year of 2013 is also starting to near its end. Frankly, the year wasn't nearly as good as 2012, which in turn was nowhere near 2011. So to make your lives easier I gathered up a "what to watch" list of my favourites from this year. The list (especially for the series') is ordered loosely on what was better and more worth the watch. Still, the list is overall good and entertaining. So especially if you like comedy and/or story heavy stuff, these should be worth your time, all of them. I'll also write a short description on some of the stuff I really, really want you to watch especially if you like something different from the normal everyday stuff. Let's start with the full length shows.

Series'
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Started in 2012)
Hataraku Maou-sama!
GJ-bu
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. (Reqs previous season(s))
Kill La Kill
Servant x Service
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shubushibu Shuushoku o Ketsui Shimashita.
Chihayafuru 2 (Reqs previous season(s))
Golden Time
Rozen Maiden(2013)
Yuyushiki
Non Non Biyori
Gingitsune
Girls und Panzer (Started in 2012)
Genshiken Nidaime (Reqs previous season(s))
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next (Reqs previous season(s))
The World God Only Knows: Goddesses (Reqs previous season(s))

Kill La Kill just has to be seen. Even though it's not on the top of my list, it is simply because of my own preference. Kill La Kill on paper is like every other fighting anime meant for the 15-year-olds. But man, is that show good. It uses some 90's/early 2000's drawing techniques. It combines comedy, action, story and ecchi into a perfect pool of awesomeness. Oh and the theme/transformation music is just something epic. It makes you always go funk yeaah! when there is that short silent gap and then the amazing music starts and the sequence launces.

A full 26 episode long show Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo started out with some light humor which made it look like your normal comedy show. But once it started developing, it ended up having the best story of the year.

The year was filled with shows about heros or normal people doing normal world stuff. Hataraku Maou-sama did it first, and it also did it the best. Heros and demons got through a teleport and ended up in human world. So what will they do? Work at McDonalds and call center. This has a very interesting twist and is interesting through the complete 13 episodes.

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru [NouKome] has the longest title of the year and is one of the funniest shows of the year too. The protagonist has to do those visual novel kind of choises in real life. But oh no, the choises are never good. Combine this with some other weird characters and you have 10 episodes worth of good fun.

This year's Rozen Maiden was a "what if" story of what if the protagonist chose to say no. A more melancholic version of the show follows. Skip the first episode as it is just a recap of the old show. The last few episodes are also a bit bland, but overall it's a nice watch.

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! [WataMote] is about an introvert otaku girl. If you're an introvert yourself it's pretty easy to relate to some of the stuff. It also steers away from cuteness, which is refreshing. Seiyuu also does a perfect job.

Shorts (Under 20 minute long weekly shows)
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
Teekyuu
Puchimas! Petit Idolmaster (Reqs original series)
Miss Monochrome The Animation
Maji de Otaku na English! Ribbon-chan: Eigo de Tatakau Mahou Shoujo The TV

They are all comedy, but Teekyuu is propably the one most worth watching. The episodes are about 3 minutes long with 30 seconds of intros and outros. So you'd think there's not enough time for anything. But you'd be wrong. They manage to mash as many jokes in those 2,5 minutes as a normal 20 minute comedy has. These work as a very good snack between everything else.

Movies
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (2012)
Kotonoha no Niwa
Dareka no Manazashi (6 min long)
Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home (Reqs original series)
Strike Witches Gekijouban (2012) (Reqs original series)

Okay, let's make it clear. All of these are amazing. Go watch them. But especially go watch the first 3 of the list. Those are some great stories right there. I also included two movies from last year but since the Blu'Rays were released this year and thus translated this year, they were more relevant now.

OVAs
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
Joshiraku (Reqs original series)
Kill Me Baby (Reqs original series)
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san OAD (Reqs original series)
Seitokai no Ichizon LV.2: Watasu Seitokai (Reqs original series)

If you like horror, gore, excessive blood and guts, Corpse Party is for you. Well, even if you don't like them that much, you might want to see this. When I saw the first Pre-OVA, I couldn't wait for the actual show to start. So then the OVA's started to appear and I wondered why it wasn't shown on TV. So I watched the first episode and the reason was pretty clear. The censors would have had a field trip with this one and all we could have seen was a black screen. Pick a body part (except for the genitalia because of taboooo), and it's very likely to be shown one way or another during the 4 OVA, 80 minute long experience. And it manages to shock even after the final credits have rolled.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

1nsane wrote: Girls und Panzer (Started in 2012)
School girls driving Panzerkampfwagen is nothing but... hilarious. :mrgreen: And before you guys ask, I actually watched every episode of the very first season, even the OVAs just for the heck of it and although I am not a big Anime fan like you are, I literally enjoyed every minute of it. Anyone who despises this series is a heretic in my eyes :P

1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yep, Girls und Panzer was pretty good. It's so "low" on my list simply because just before this started there was a series about girls who were different gun models, so this just kinda lucked out on the order.
Also, being a semi-fan of the russian marches, this was just amazing :D :
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Panzerlied is the best march besides the Russian ones, I am dead serious. :misch: I like The British Grenadiers also, whereas the GuP version might not be the best one.
1nsane wrote: It's so "low" on my list simply because just before this started there was a series about girls who were different gun models, so this just kinda lucked out on the order.
Comparing GuP and Upotte would be utterly apples and oranges in my honest opinion. :P BTW, just for your information, I have been recently watching Hetalia: Axis Powers. 1nsane, assuming you watched it before, I am sure you would agree with me Italy goes completely bonkers here. :mrgreen:
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I'm so behind. I have Nichijou (watched one episode), Galaxy Express 999 (the series box set), Toradora! (box set, halfway through since... forever) and K-On! The Movie to watch on DVD. I'm such a lazy bleeder.

Erm, also got a manga to read. No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular! It immediately wins my longest title ever owned to date by far.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Kamen Rider Gaim in a nutshell: Hmm... Fruits... Sengoku.... Hmm....

The only thing why I'm currently staying away with anime is because I'm bored that a certain every female char's "asset" is a selling point. I even don't have a mindset where fanservice = selling point. That's why I'm still stuck with several shounen series...

I've finished 8 episodes of it btw... :)

NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

Well, this is some animes that i seen, sorry for bump. :mrgreen:
Seen:
Dokonjō Gaeru (when i have 8 years old :D )
Doraemon
Ninja Hattori-kun
Kinnikuman
Captain Tsubasa (1983)
The Prince of Tennis (that bad that in Chile only broadcast the 2 seasons of the 6 :vsad: )
Now seeing:
Inazuma Eleven (seeing for third time :sweatdrop: )
Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002 (seeing for second time :mrgreen: )
Dr. Slump Arale-chan (Never are dubbed to Latin America the 1997 remake :( )
Dragon Ball (Original, Z and Kai, Some days ago are broadcast in Chile a marathon since 19:00 to 07:00, i see since 19:00 to 01:00 :cool: )
To be seen:
But now nothing anime are planned to see :yawn:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Np2003 wrote:Well, this is some animes that i seen, sorry for bump. :mrgreen:
Seen:
Dokonjō Gaeru (when i have 8 years old :D )
Doraemon
Ninja Hattori-kun
Kinnikuman
Captain Tsubasa (1983)
The Prince of Tennis (that bad that in Chile only broadcast the 2 seasons of the 6 :vsad: )
Now seeing:
Inazuma Eleven (seeing for third time :sweatdrop: )
Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002 (seeing for second time :mrgreen: )
Dr. Slump Arale-chan (Never are dubbed to Latin America the 1997 remake :( )
Dragon Ball (Original, Z and Kai, Some days ago are broadcast in Chile a marathon since 19:00 to 07:00, i see since 19:00 to 01:00 :cool: )
To be seen:
But now nothing anime are planned to see :yawn:
Inazuma Eleven fan too right here :)

Also a good anime recommendation: Galaxy Kickoff. Anyone have heard of it?

NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

Nope, i never heard of Galaxy Kickoff, but thanks for say me, tomorrow i go to see. ;)
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I seem to do a few of these cosplay photo shots lately, whether it's by providing equipment or just doing it myself. Here's a photo shot of one of these shoots on a recent trip south.

CC from Code Geass... wait, wrong one. I forgot this one. She did CC at some point earlier in the month. Anyway, this was one I just provided a camera for the photographer.

Oh yeah, that's better. At a shoot I conducted personally.
NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

Doorslammer wrote:I seem to do a few of these cosplay photo shots lately, whether it's by providing equipment or just doing it myself. Here's a photo shot of one of these shoots on a recent trip south.

CC from Code Geass... wait, wrong one. I forgot this one. She did CC at some point earlier in the month. Anyway, this was one I just provided a camera for the photographer.

Oh yeah, that's better. At a shoot I conducted personally.
:up: Good.