Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Herbal »

I guess, the question here is not the exact amount of polygons or vertices, in my opinion we need to find a consent, that would satisfy the following points:
  • for the current carmakers to not lose their CURRENT challenge in building a car for GR2, as Krisu told that earlier
  • for newcomers the editor should be self-explanatory, or at least easily eligible to use
  • and using out the possibilities of the game's graphics (which does not mean of course, that I'd like to see Forza Motorsport-like poly amounts for the cars!), because let's face it, the current 40/30 poly/vertex amount of GR would look certainly odd in GR2.
Out of that, maybe that's just me, but I guess that's not a good way to use pro modelling softwares, as we're talking about a minigame. My solution would be for car editing a so-to-say hybrid car editor, written especially for the sequel. The idea would be to build/import the base of car from current .car formats and/or creating the frame of the car from about 40-60 polies. Then, there would be a wizard to smoothen the car out (in other words, to increase the base to say double, thrice, or even quadruple the poly number). In the final part, there would be an FT to edit existing vertices and to create additional polygons/vertices. There should be also the coloring of certain polies too.

Actually, my actual concern about GR2 cars is the coloring of polies. James, could you tell us some more, how you imagine to add certain colors to certain polygons? Since from your blog post I could not figure out, if the game would use the current GR palette with several color additions, or at car editing we can also mix out several colors and saving that in the car file itself. Or will there be another solution for fixed colors of orange and pink for example?
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Trigger Happy wrote:However you're not in position to give any ultimata, Luke. :shhh:

And not to mention, how unwise is to do any categorical statements, if you have almost no further info to put the limit into the context of future events (e.g. features of any hypothetical CE).
I'm not making an ultimatum. I'm stating a fact. Also, I'm pretty sure I've stated, at least once, that I want the new car editor to be very similar to Juan's... In fact, with 100 polygons, I would pretty much have a CE that was identical to Juan's, with the obvious bugs of Juan's editor fixed, and support for that limit (plus the removals of the limits on the physics values).

One thing I've not seen mentioned anywhere is: what'll happen with shadows? Will the game automatically generate them under the car? Will we still have to do them manually - if so, what's the poly limit for that (without everything spazzing out)?
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Just a quick interjection from my side:

We are talking about a poly limit for cars. What about all the other (non-editable) objects like the tyre wall, that was shown a couple of months ago, or the quality of LMAP textures? Somehow, all these things must contribute to a homogenous look. Visibly, an object like a tyre wall should not be more detailed than a car. It's about the relations between all these things. Personally, I'm seeing a little bit of Gran Turismo 5 in here with its Premium and Standard cars in front of some nicely textured and some really dull tracks.
I suppose the poly limit of up to 400 and the shaders just fit in between the objects etc. But that's a thing only James and the staff will know if a 40 poly GR1 car adds to the scenery as well as a 400 poly GR2 car.

Personally, I'm a little skeptical about that after having the few screens and I'd prefer a limit of 100 polies (and some very basic, not so glossy shaders btw.). But I'm not to complain before I got my hands on the finished game.
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

RudyOosterndijk wrote:Just a quick interjection from my side:

We are talking about a poly limit for cars. What about all the other (non-editable) objects like the tyre wall, that was shown a couple of months ago, or the quality of LMAP textures? Somehow, all these things must contribute to a homogenous look. Visibly, an object like a tyre wall should not be more detailed than a car. It's about the relations between all these things. Personally, I'm seeing a little bit of Gran Turismo 5 in here with its Premium and Standard cars in front of some nicely textured and some really dull tracks.
I suppose the poly limit of up to 400 and the shaders just fit in between the objects etc. But that's a thing only James and the staff will know if a 40 poly GR1 car adds to the scenery as well as a 400 poly GR2 car.

Personally, I'm a little skeptical about that after having the few screens and I'd prefer a limit of 100 polies (and some very basic, not so glossy shaders btw.). But I'm not to complain before I got my hands on the finished game.
Some very good words here. Graphical uniformity is the key when talking about looks, plus the looks being faithful enough to original GR.
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

From 400 polygons, with the current editor I could make a formula car with a complete model of the engine, brakes, cockpit and the driver as well, and many more. So I think that poly limit is too high! Anyone should meet the challenge of planning out the model of his car to be recognisable, but not being too angular. Which is I think one of the biggest challenge right now with the current poly/vertex limit, at least the one I've come across most of the times.

By the way, what does that mean "I don't have a cat." How dare you Kimmo!? I live with 3. :D
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Garbre wrote:By the way, what does that mean "I don't have a cat." How dare you Kimmo!? I live with 3. :D
Are you sure he did mean by that a four-leg one? :scratch: After all, and you did, Garbre? :lol:
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

Yeah, I did thought he meant that way! :rofl: Or is it some kind of abbreviation? Like CAT= Computer Assisted Technology? I must have misunderstood. But, maybe he just wants a cat, but can't have one, so it was just an outburst of his deepest wish. Sorry, I'm not into 3D modelling stuff. Nevermind.
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Garbre wrote:Yeah, I did thought he meant that way! :rofl: ... I must have misunderstood. ... Nevermind.
Well, rather misunderstanding on my side, I understood it as expression of being single (because ''to have a cat'' is at least here in CZE an expression for a close relationship with a very special lady, that's why the need of distinction between four or two legged cats). But who knows, what's behind the words. :rofl:
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Trigger Happy wrote:because ''to have a cat'' is at least here in CZE an expression for a close relationship with a very special lady
Yes. A very beautiful woman. :D It's mystery with that cat. :rofl:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

I assumed it was a typo with one of the letters adjacent to t on the keyboard ;)
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Garbre »

:rofl: So basicly "I don't have a cat" means I don't have a girlfreind. Thanks for clearing this out!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

So far so good. :) I like the way in which the things are going. About the car making there should be created a few tutorials because to use Blender is different than to use a 3rd party program like right now (Jesus, I can only make a cube, sphere, circle...I believe that most of us are complete newbies with this programs). By the way any thoughts about track editing and how it will be? I can't think about more questions anymore because nothing had changed from the last time when I was here. :D Anyway it's time again for GR 1.2 racing to make me feel better. :bg:

And one last thing: Does it's planned any support for Linux OS's?
Gentlemens, start your engines!
krustykrab

Sequel-formed or not?

Post by krustykrab »

Hey!
Subject says it all-the sequel that arises, however, stuck forever? Well there are several reasons to YES but there are also NO.

Developer blog is no post, no or does not move from ... March 13! So more than half a year, we see the "Our Team: Kimmo" as first.So, I think it's either lull in writing posts or just abandoned the sequel.
Twitter, a popular tool for communication with the community also used when Generally.There see that somehow, somehow works are and launched a Kickstarter last tweet came from six lipca.Tutaj there is no negligence, I deny that there abandonment sequel.

If you have more insights and want to throw something back write.
BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Areen

Re: Sequel-formed or not?

Post by Areen »

First, please, don't use google translator, I see some glitches over here (lipca, tutaj) xd
Second, there is post on twitter which says that we need to wait for some information for few weeks, maybe some interesting news will be posted in July.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Sequel-formed or not?

Post by Trigger Happy »

Keep in mind, that James and co. aren't professional developers. They have own real lives - duties in their jobs, eventually studies and towards their families - making a sequel of GeneRally is some kind of their relaxation or hobby. So it's quite a difficult thing to set a strict schedule. BTW Not the only hobby, which they have, and especially during summer, it's pretty much predictable or understandable, that the pace both of development and informing may be somewhat slow-paced temporarily. So try to calm down and to wait, when something worthy of telling will be, James will tell it. No doubt. :)
Last edited by Trigger Happy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: .
LorSong

Post by LorSong »

So much time without news about GeneRally Sequel... Is work going on?
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Read the posts above yours, please. ;)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Why not James and Co open up a paypal account or soemthing and start taking some sort of renumeration for this job something like project cars, which is heavuly funded by the community. Just a suggestion. Somewhere I read that some sort of thing like this had to start on day.
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

One or two tweets per week wouldn't hurt anyone imo...
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

felipebart wrote:One or two tweets per week wouldn't hurt anyone imo...
I agree. :bg:
Also, new blog post should have be already done few month ago.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm sorry if I'm being overly blunt here, but I think we should be able to expect an update after almost 5 months... and if the current developers are so busy that they aren't able to provide anything in that amount of time, then maybe they shouldn't have volunteered or should find someone else to help.
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The new GR is definitely in danger of being vapourware...
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Lukeno94 wrote:The new GR is definitely in danger of being vapourware...
:worried:

I think it's a bit concerning that it's taking this long just between updates on how the new version is progressing.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Maybe they need someone to focus on the commercial side of things...

Merged double reply from Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 am:

Maybe they need someone to focus on the commercial side of things...
Last edited by Bouncebackability on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

Calm down folks, we're not in Live for Speed situation here.