[rwl] [stc] Montjuic Park

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Clutch

[rwl] [stc] Montjuic Park

Post by Clutch »

Montjuic Park, 1970's. Not much to say about this track, besides being a favourite of mine. Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
present1.jpg
Montjuic_GR.jpg
Montjuic.rar
(54.41 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Last edited by Clutch on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [rwl][roa][stc] Montjuic Park

Post by AleksiNir »

Usually I'm not a big fan of rwl tracks in GR but I've always found Montjuic a really interesting circuit and you've done a good job here :)

Something that really bugs me in a lot of tracks is that people leave the default POV settings. By slightly decreasing the view angle and zooming in, the track looks a lot better :wiz: Look at this to see what I'm talking about.

The track drives pretty well too, the hmap is well adjusted, not too extreme but you can definitely feel it there. At first I thought the track looked too wide, but after driving it, it is only a good thing, now I'm not bouncing all over the track, which a lot of times is a problem in big WS street tracks :mrgreen: I like the track's aesthetics too, it looks quite GRish, so to say, but there still are a lot of details in the scenery. I only am missing some simple textures on the brown areas and in the pit area.
Clutch

Re: [rwl][roa][stc] Montjuic Park

Post by Clutch »

Hi, thanks a lot for your comment and for the picture!
I think you've got a point there, regarding zooming and the point of view. I think I'm just too used to the default settings, that's why I always leave it like that... Well, at least up until now - I guess I'll try zooming in the next track I upload. Thanks!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [rwl] [stc] Montjuic Park

Post by Crowella »

I think it's a pretty great recreation of Montjuic. The HMap is most definitely there, the cars seem to get airborne on the bump after the s/f line and you dig in a bit on the inside of the corner after the first hairpin but it works to good effect. :)

It looks great, the objects are all placed really well. I pretty much have to agree with everything Aleksi said. Awesome work :up:
View my archived circuits/cars here
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

AleksiNir wrote:Usually I'm not a big fan of rwl tracks in GR but I've always found Montjuic a really interesting circuit and you've done a good job here :)
I agree with AleksiNir. :roll: It's entertaining in every sense of the word, and a perfect 5 stars track. :bg:
Clutch

Post by Clutch »

Thanks, guys!
It always takes me ages to complete a track, that's why so far I've only posted 3 tracks in 10 or 11 years of GR (by the way, I think I must have started Montjuic some two years ago, if I can recall). I've got hundreds awaiting completion, both rwl and fictional. I'll be posting them just as soon as I get the time - hopefuly in less than one year, which was the gap between this track and the previous one.
It's really great to have such a nice feedback. Once again, thanks!
LupinIIIFan32

Post by LupinIIIFan32 »

Fantastic! I had been working on one since the days of v1.05, but couldn't get it right. I'd say Track of the Month or even Track of the Year winner right here!
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Clutch, I'm impressed with your tracks. They are colorful, beautiful and well done. I like your style, is very nice because your effort is good in every category. And this feel around 70's...
PS: I'm very happy because you uploaded (and will be upload - you say that :) ) next fantastic track and you aren't this type guys like Maciej - upload and.. nothing (like bot..), but you're taking part with discussion (I doubted that I'll see your new track at least one time, but you come back. I'm very sorry that I doubted in you)
PS2: It's your third track there, third old street track, third track from Iberian Peninsula.. Is it a case?
ALL TRACKS
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Hi :wave: ,
It's great that there's finally a decent version of Montjuic! :bsmile:
I hope you don't mind that I write a long comment now :mrgreen:

In the following I'll refer to this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ircuit.svg

As I also started researching this track a while ago, I see you left out some sceneric details such as the Teatro Griego, almost all of the houses at the bottom left, the tennis field, the hexagonal building inside corner 4... If you want to fix those, I could help you by providing some pictures (e.g. an aerial photo from 1956). This is not really bad because if the scenery looks fine almost no-one cares what it is like exactly (if it isn't something completely different ;) ).

I think these things sould be improved:
  • The Palau Nacional doesn't represent the original well and doesn't really fit to the rest. I think you should try to make a lmap object there. Believe me, if well executed it looks much better :)
  • The area around corners 2-4 is a bit too visible for my taste. From how I felt it, the trees were so close to the track, that it felt like driving through a tunnel :D This version of Montjuic really lacks this. Of course you should see where your car goes, but I think 1 or 2 trees which are a bit closer wouldn't hurt. :cool2:
  • I think the height map around corners 2-6 is completely wrong. There is an almost non-noticeable downhill from turn 1 through turn 2 to turn 3. Between 3 and 4 it's already a slight uphill drive, then from 4 to 5 it's a bit more uphill, and after 5 there is a rather steep downhill drive. I'll tell you how I think it should be: Have a rather steep downhill section from the middle of the right corner after 1 to turn 3, let it become a bit less steep between 3 and 4, make a very slight uphill drive from 4 to 5, and another downhill from 5 to 6
  • Between corners 9 and 10 there are two little straights; one which leads from the exit of the left-hander to the very beginning of the huge visitor spot and one which leads from the beginning to the end of that visitor spot. Between those is a sharp kink. In your version it's all one smooth corner.
  • Why aren't the pits in the same angle as the pitroad?
  • This track needs a finish-line. If you don't want to make the OMEGA-advertisment you could at least make a thin line...
  • I know the first corner was a very sharp hairpin, but I think this one is too sharp (at least visually) :|
  • It once happened to me that when I went wide in the first corner, I landed in corner 3. I think the reason is the hmap which goes down just before the armco walls. But there's not much you can do about it without moving these parts further from each other.
Now I want to highlight a few good things:
  • I love how you were able to make the stairs in front of the Palau Nacional! It looks just like it should (and also makes the Palau look so ugly in comparison :P )
  • Although criticised, I really like the plain colors directly next to the track.
  • The atmosphere of this green city track is fabulous. :goodvibes:
  • The AI-Line is good enough for my driving skill
But what really matters, that I absolutely like the feeling of the track as a historic track. I don't know exactly how you make it, but all of your tracks have this special unique atmosphere which really makes it feel like a 1970s track :love:

If you want to improve your circuit, feel free to ask me for resources/help ;)

I give you 9 out of 10 points (it will be 5 stars) and I'll give you a :tom: vote. If you fix the hmap and pits I would be a lot more satisfied (ToY contender :yummy: ). Please, give it a try :trampo:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Who, where and when did set any rule, that pit crews must must perfectly straight with s/f line? If it works properly in gameplay (and it does), how dare you to tell it's anyhow wrong? :scared: Different from grey boring averageness isn't equal to being wrong, XYY, is it? :cool:

Wonderful track! :bowdown: Comfortable to drive yet maintaining the street-driving feeling, perfect balance. :bowdown:

Only shame it didn't come few months earlier, it could be a star of the GPL compo, which ended few weeks ago. :)
Last edited by Trigger Happy on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: calmed down myself a bit to proper level
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Trigger Happy wrote:Who, where and when did set any rule, that pit crews must must perfectly straight with s/f line? If it works properly in gameplay (and it does), how dare you to tell it's anyhow wrong? :scared: Different from grey boring averageness isn't equal to being wrong, XYY, is it? :cool:
Pitcrews are meant to stand in a straight line and serve, not to make jokes :D :D Hmm, I'm just used to the pitcrews aligned along the pit-straight rotation so I guess everything which is just not like that seems strange at the first moment :mrgreen: you're probably right, I shouldn't criticise this. But the distance between the 4th and 5th pitcrew is not the same as all the other distances :shhh: I know this is nitpicky, and I also know no-one says that the pitcrews have to have the same distance between each other, but I think it looks better (same goes for pitcrews aligned along the adjacent straight).
Areen

Post by Areen »

Trigger Happy wrote:Who, where and when did set any rule, that pit crews must must perfectly straight with s/f line? If it works properly in gameplay (and it does), how dare you to tell it's anyhow wrong? :scared: Different from grey boring averageness isn't equal to being wrong, XYY, is it? :cool:

Wonderful track! :bowdown: Comfortable to drive yet maintaining the street-driving feeling, perfect balance. :bowdown:

Only shame it didn't come few months earlier, it could be a star of the GPL compo, which ended few weeks ago. :)
+1 I cannot say more that Ivo just did. It's a masterpiece :bg:
puttz

Post by puttz »

It looks great! I'll have to give it a go. Also:
Trigger Happy wrote:
If a season 2 happens (which is highly likely due to popular demand :hide: ), this will have a very good chance of being on the calendar. And sometimes I think (not picking on you XYY, just talking in general, there are others that do it) some people are a bit too nitpicky about little details that don't really matter much in the end. I like tracks that do have some nice surroundings, but my main concern is if a track is fun to drive and the actual circuit itself looks decent. I could care less if the little details are totally accurate or not (unless they are sloppy, which nothing here is). Just my :2c:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

puttz wrote:And sometimes I think (not picking on you XYY, just talking in general, there are others that do it) some people are a bit too nitpicky about little details that don't really matter much in the end.
Hmm, it's probably just my high self-set standard to make the scenery as close to the real thing as possible (this is also part of the reasons why I finish so few rwl tracks and even less historic ones), and I seem to project that on other's works. :worried:
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I, for one would not mind to thoroughly analyse inaccuracies, like XYY did. You just have to take his point as constructive feedback since his opinion was not unfounded either. :) Anyhow, the circuit does authentically bear resemblance to its real world counterpart and the WS is not too large and appropriately chosen for this kind of track. These and other reasons make me enjoy it a lot. :drive:
Clutch wrote: I think you've got a point there, regarding zooming and the point of view. I think I'm just too used to the default settings, that's why I always leave it like that... Well, at least up until now - I guess I'll try zooming in the next track I upload. Thanks!
I would greatly appreciate this. :hattip:
McBidouille

Post by McBidouille »

Beautiful...a word that we often miss and that take all its sense while looking at your work.
Good job! :bg:
Pixels are stronger than polys!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Such historic F1, much cool, wow :D.
sorry for the doge talk :D
I really enjoy every track that attempts to recreate this era of racing and Montjuic Park is great addition to this :). I think all important was already said so I'll keep this simple :D. Thank you and keep them coming :bg:.
Piet
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Piet »

Wow, what a track. :up: I'm impressed. Also a challenging drive, simply great! :bg:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I guess being away for so long allowed you to forget about not bumping threads older than a month :)