Motorsports Trivia Game

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
DuklaLiberec

Re: Motorsports Trivia Game

Post by DuklaLiberec »

What colour scheme was adopted for Belgian competitors before sponsorship liveries were introduced?
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yellow (Character limit)
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Please continue puttz :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Okay, here's a fun one. What was unusual about the car that Smokey Yunick brought to the 1964 Indy 500?
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

The car was so to say a sidamob, its cockpit was outside of the chassis.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
puttz

Post by puttz »

That would be correct. :bg:
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

I was born 20th November 1957. Just like my brother, Georg did, I've joined karting in 1973. My first championship I've won has been taken part in Luxembourg. I was a member at Walter Lechner's driving school, when I've driven for the first time formula cars. In my first season of F2, I had as teammate Mike Thackwell and Alain Ferté. In the same year, I could have a chance to race with a Kremer CK5. I have also taken part at 20 F1 races, where I could score 4 points. My death was caused, because I have moved onto a Porsche, because of contact we've both spun out and my car cought fire. The one, who drove that other car is one of living legends of Le Mans.

Who am I? :)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Guess without the use of encyclopaedias: Stefan Bellof?
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

DuklaLiberec wrote:Guess without the use of encyclopaedias: Stefan Bellof?
:bg:
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

That kind of quiz sounds fun :D

I used to be a racing driver in the 80s and the 90s. Funnily enough, I am probably better known in Japan than in my home country despite the fact I'm European, for I competed in both the Japanese F3000 and the JTCC for several years. I wanted to try my luck in the Far East because of my unsatisfactory results in Europe. That said, I returned to my home to race for a man who would later become a well-known team principal in F1. I successfully concluded this season and I even participated in the 24 Hours of Le Mans the year I returned. You would see me once again in Le Mans a couple of years later. 
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

I'd say he's Andrew Gilbert-Scott
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

His name is indeed Andrew Gilbert-Scott. :)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Herbal is quite busy with his uni so I took the freedom to ask him if I can post a question instead of him :).

So who's the only F1 driver who lead the championship after first two races of a season despite not winning any of these two Grand Prix?
I want to know his name and in what season he achieved this quite tricky thing :D.
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

1983, Niki Lauda!
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Sorry I was not clear, this driver lead championship after first race and after second race but did not win any of them ;).
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Philippe Streiff, 1987, Jim Clark Trophy
EDIT: As he hasn't won those races but still lead the Jim Clark Trophy
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

The championship means The drivers championship if that was not clear :D. Sorry :).
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

After hours and HOURS of searching (well not really), I finally think I have the RIGHT answer. 1956, Jean Behra. And actually he led the championship even after the third race, which was the Indy 500.

Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Yes :).
It was because first GP of the year was won by Fangio who took over Musso's car and because of that they both divided points for 1st place and Jean Behra finished 2nd so he had 1 point more than Fangio :D.
Sorry if you were frustated, I just found this thing quite interesting so I wanted to share with local folks :).
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

No no, not frustrated at all! Well a bit, but overall it was a great question! :) I'll post my question when I come up with such.

EDIT: Aaaand here it is! When was the smallest margin between the winner and the second place in ALMS? Year and the race please. :)

RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

After 3 Month the answer:

The 7th race in year 2012 (Road Race Showcase at Road America).
Only 0.1 sec between ''Dyson Racing'' and ''Muscle Milk Pickett Racing''.

Next question:

Vettel wasn't the 1st F1-driver, who have won 9 races in row. Which driver in which year(s) had won 9 F1-races in row before Vettel have done it?

Post revived!
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I have found only 7 wins for Alberto Ascari in years 1952-1953 and Michael Schumacher in year 2004 :misch:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

@FRUKIS: When you leave out the Indy 500 in 1953, Ascari did actually win nine races consecutively (Belgium 1952 - Belgium 1953). :P
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

I count only this races, that he drived. So, without Indy 500 in 1953, Ascari won 9 races in row.

Your turn, DuklaLiberec. :bg:
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Sorry, but I'm busy with school at the moment and it won't be until the Easter break when I have enough time to dedicate for GeneRally, which also explains my recent lack of comments in the Tracks and Cars forum section, once again, apologies for that. :doh: Rest assured, I am going to take part in the forthcoming rounds of puttz's Räbinä HL compo, though.

Anyone else can feel free to post his riddle. :)