Your Computer Configuration

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Rendy

Re: Your Computer Configuration

Post by Rendy »

bduddy wrote:It's been a couple years, so I'm putting together a new computer...

CPU: Intel i5-4430
GFX: Radeon R9 280X
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme3 Z87
Hard drive: 2TB + 500GB (from current computer) + 128 GB SSD
RAM: 4 x 2GB (from current computer)
Case: Antec P100
Power supply: Rosewill HIVE 750W

I've been looking around for a lot of good deals, and I think I came out pretty good... the new parts are less than $600 total, I think...
THAT is one killer PC you have there. :o

Add i7 and have 32GB RAM and it'll be a greatest machine hands down. Specs like this amuses me
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

No, it's not the best, GeForces are better than Radeons... But this is one of the best machines ATM
ALL TRACKS
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

YoNnie wrote:No, it's not the best, GeForces are better than Radeons... But this is one of the best machines ATM
Not in terms of cost effectiveness because AMD video cards are known to be cheaper alternatives of the more expensive Geforce video cards, if I recall correctly. Nonetheless, there are plenty of Nvidia products you can get at a good price (can't come up with a concrete example, though).
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

DuklaLiberec wrote:
YoNnie wrote:No, it's not the best, GeForces are better than Radeons... But this is one of the best machines ATM
Not in terms of cost effectiveness because AMD video cards are known to be cheaper alternatives of the more expensive Geforce video cards, if I recall correctly. Nonetheless, there are plenty of Nvidia products you can get at a good price (can't come up with a concrete example, though).
At least both are better than, say, *cough*intelhdgraphics*cough*... :v

Areen

Post by Areen »

I have a MSI GE60 2OC laptop.
Small details:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4200M @2.50 GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M / 2GB GDDR5 + Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • LCD: 15,6" HD, 1366x768px (non-glare matrix)
  • Memory: DDRIII(L) 8GB
  • HDD: 750GB
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Areen wrote:I have a MSI GE60 2OC laptop.
Small details:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4200M @2.50 GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M / 2GB GDDR5 + Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • LCD: 15,6" HD, 1366x768px (non-glare matrix)
  • Memory: DDRIII(L) 8GB
  • HDD: 750GB
My dream...
Anyway I can write my PC (or PC's - I have old and older ;P )
This better:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1x 1.80 GHz
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon X300 (256 MB DDR?, I don't wanna see what bus is, I have to earn money for new PC, or, more propably, laptop)
Memory: 1GB DDRII
HDD: 1x 80 GB Seagate and 1x 40 Samsung (I forgot the names, they are long and weird)
Power supply: 330W Modecom
This worse:
CPU: Intel Celeron 1300 1x 1.30 GHz (will be overclock, I overclocked it to 1.50, and I wanted more but I had to load defaults in BIOS)
GPU: ATI Radeon A9550 Gamer Edition 128 MB DDR2 or 3 with 128-bit bus (from my friend)
Memory: 512 MB DDR (Motherboard "see" only 512 MB)
HDD: 20 GB and 10 GB (probably Samsung, I will add something from my "equipment collection"
So, I have to buy something new, propably it will be laptop, because of thinking of my further learning I would want to have mobility. Also I would have some good CPU for making music, because, what you can see, current PC's are limiting me with this
ALL TRACKS
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

The laptop I'm using:

Name: Toshiba Satellite C805
CPU: Intel Core i3-2350M @2.30GHz 4 CPUs
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7610M 2GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
Screen: 14" 1366x768
Areen

Post by Areen »

YoNnie wrote:So, I have to buy something new, propably it will be laptop, because of thinking of my further learning I would want to have mobility. Also I would have some good CPU for making music, because, what you can see, current PC's are limiting me with this
Good choice, I did the same. This MSI laptop is my new laptop that I bought about 1 month ago for my first fee ^^. I hope you'll get a new one quickly. :bg:
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

DuklaLiberec wrote:The laptop I'm using:

Name: Toshiba Satellite C805
CPU: Intel Core i3-2350M @2.30GHz 4 CPUs
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7610M 2GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB
Screen: 14" 1366x768
You have very good laptop too, especially GPU, but this i3 isn't bad either!
Areen wrote: Good choice, I did the same. This MSI laptop is my new laptop that I bought about 1 month ago for my first fee ^^. I hope you'll get a new one quickly.
Thanks for warm words! I thought about second-hand laptop, I know it's risky, but the price (in our country - this information I write for this community) of the new laptop is more twice than secondhand, and I won't let myself to buy new thing.. There's many important things with buying this, I could write some nice lengh post about this :P
ALL TRACKS
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

YoNnie wrote: You have very good laptop too, especially GPU, but this i3 isn't bad either!
Unfortunately it isn't as exceptionally good as you imagine, I experienced several BSODs with it either after sleep mode or occuring randomly. I don't get Blue Screens anymore lately, though. The GPU isn't the best either, yet adequate enough for the games I play, such as World of Tanks.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

This is my pro-gaming mouse and my pro-gaming mouse pad :P now i know why I am so bad at OSU! :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

DuklaLiberec wrote:
YoNnie wrote: Unfortunately it isn't as exceptionally good as you imagine, I experienced several BSODs with it either after sleep mode or occuring randomly. I don't get Blue Screens anymore lately, though. The GPU isn't the best either, yet adequate enough for the games I play, such as World of Tanks.
Hmm, so you may have problems with the OS, if you can (but I think you have the disc with the system), try to reinstall system, or only repair errors (I know in the Windows XP you had this option, I don't know how it's in newer systems so please help me with them!; I'm writing this because I think you probably have Win 7 or 8), it's maybe not only way, but the most verity for sure. Also you can wait for the BSOD, write the error and find in the Internet later... There's many ways what could be bad, maybe the drivers, maybe Hotkeys...
@FRUKIS: Yeah, my mouse cost 20 PLN, this is less than 4 € ATM, so we are pro gamers :D
ALL TRACKS
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

@YoNnie: By the time I had these issues, I assumed a faulty GPU driver caused the Blue Screens to happen. Updated the drivers and from then on, I haven't encountered any BSODs thus far.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yeah, on the newer OS's the BSOD should only come when it's a hardware issue. But one of the power saving mods in Windows is a general computer crasher. i can't remember if it's sleep or hibernate or what, but it never started the GPU for me. Especially common for me on desktop machines (You know an accidental click on that instead of shut down or restart), so I've just disabled the sleep modes completely.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Rendy wrote:
DuklaLiberec wrote:
At least both are better than, say, *cough*intelhdgraphics*cough*... :v
Intel's "graphics" chipsets don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as any real graphics card costing more than $20.

IMO it's a bit silly to say that either AMD or nVidia is better when they both offer a full range of products at various prices and performances. Maybe one or the other has the absolute best graphics card in the $1000 range, but how many people actually buy it? Usually each will have a better product at certain price points. I think AMD is better in the mid-high range from what I read, plus I got a really good deal on my 280X, so there you go...
I like short, simple signatures!
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

bduddy wrote:Intel's "graphics" chipsets don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as any real graphics card costing more than $20.
Yeah. The problem is that it doesn't perform well, especially in my laptop. It's my hate to the Intel VGA in my laptop that I have a desire to look for another VGA, but sadly, once again, if I were to replace it with other VGAs it would be impossible unless I buy a motherboard that's compatible for my Toshiba...

Speaking about laptops, based on what I browsed one of ASUS laptops has quite great specs: 8GB RAM, nVidia VGA (GeForce perhaps, don't remember what type it is), and Core i7. It's priced at 9.000.000 IDR, which is roughly less than $10.000...

bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Rendy wrote:
bduddy wrote:Intel's "graphics" chipsets don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as any real graphics card costing more than $20.
Yeah. The problem is that it doesn't perform well, especially in my laptop. It's my hate to the Intel VGA in my laptop that I have a desire to look for another VGA, but sadly, once again, if I were to replace it with other VGAs it would be impossible unless I buy a motherboard that's compatible for my Toshiba...

Speaking about laptops, based on what I browsed one of ASUS laptops has quite great specs: 8GB RAM, nVidia VGA (GeForce perhaps, don't remember what type it is), and Core i7. It's priced at 9.000.000 IDR, which is roughly less than $10.000...
Sadly, laptops are almost impossible to modify (Ever opened one up?) and motherboards are probably all custom sizes. There are a few decently-priced ones out there with graphics cards, but they're hard to find even in the US and I have no idea about Indonesia. The way I did it is go to various computer websites, filter by AMD/nVidia graphics, and look out for sales... not much else you can do...
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

I tried it.
Dual DIMMs' slots
512MB x 512MB
512MB x 2GB

It makes a sudden shut down, then showed triple indication that cause critical damage to the PC.. :ouch:
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

masa wrote:I tried it.
Dual DIMMs' slots
512MB x 512MB
512MB x 2GB

It makes a sudden shut down, then showed triple indication that cause critical damage to the PC.. :ouch:
Hmm... is there maybe a setting in your BIOS to run in single channel mode instead of dual-channel? It should be automatic, but...

Does everything work fine without the 2GB stick?
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

at present my DDR2s
512MB x 512MB
512MB x 512MB
The problem doesn't come about, for now.

In the case 2GB, the shut-down happened in 1 or 2 minutes, while I was viewing movie (avi/ mpeg. etc), then it happened each time (and, cause critical damage..). Maybe, the problem has because an affinity of the 512M-DIMM and the 2G-DIMM is bad, IMHO. I think, different DIMMs are supposed to work by single channel. (by good rights)

They aren't broken parts, however junk-parts are. (It's probably.. :worried: )
ACM

Post by ACM »

I am posting from my new machine:

Zalman Z11 Plus Black Tower Case
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) Motherboard
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
Radeon™ R9 290
Samsung 840 Evo Basic 250GB Solid State Hard Drive 2.5"
Western Digital Caviar Green Power 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATA 6Gb/s <8.9ms
(and my old 500Gb hard disk drive transferred over)
Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz
Pioneer BDC-207DBK 8x Blu Ray Combo Drive - Black
Novatech 750Watt Power Station V2 Black Edition Modular Power Supply 80Plus Bronze
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1

It was about that time I ditched Windows XP. I think I was one of its last holdouts, while everyone around me was on newer operating systems.
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

@ACM, you have very good PC, I think it'll be enough for some years ;)
ALL TRACKS
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

A JUNK-PC was made again. Those parts were collected for 500 yen (US$ 4 ?)

CPU: Celeron D 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5VD2-MX
(onbord graphic/sound)
RAM: DDR2 512MB x 512MB
HDD: Maxtor 40 GB ATA
(20 GB by the partition. Downsizing? :sweatdrop:)
LAN: Logitec LAN-W300N/RU2
Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse etc,

It was installed in my living room, and Mom uses the PC. Linux might be the most better choice for the Internet Web games with a old PC, IMHO.. :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

masa wrote: Those parts were collected for 500 yen (US$ 4 ?)
Actually almost 5 US$ :D
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
masa
GeneRally Wizard

Post by masa »

Yes, its 5 $ is for the motherboard. The 17-inch monitor (100 $) was bought in old days by INET shopping (gift to Mom). The PC case, the power supply, the keyboard, DVD etc,, I got those parts from my friends. CPU and RAMs were taken out from the junk (pic: wreckage). A wireless-LAN set was gotten from a dealer when the broadband contract.

BTW, doesn't someone know the method about convert into USB? I bought Side Winder Force Feedback Pro (5 $), so use it with WinXP and SoundBlaster(DA-15) for MS FlightSimu and CFS series. BUT, is the SideWinderFFP not converted into USB? (By the method except "Teensy USB Development Board". More easily..)