[tou] Volvo Coupés and Volvo Sports cars

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

[tou] Volvo Coupés and Volvo Sports cars

Post by XYY »

Hi guys,
After a long long time, today I instantly got the mood to make a new car - the Volvo P1900. So I thought a bit about my carmaking goals and my past cars and I came to a simple conclusion: I should release more cars :rofl: I now decided to use an old version of my physics model, which should be quite good for average-performance cars.
My plan is to release the cars a bit more like Masa does it, so instead of presenting one pack, I want to upload car after car until the goal is finished :goal: To start, I will make some Volvos. As I'm not interested in making all of them, I thought I'd go for the sporty ones only. ;) If you have any suggestions of sporty Volvos or my plan in general, free feel to post them, I'm happy about them :) .
Here we go!
Download of the entire pack:
Volvo Coupés and Volvo Sports cars.XYY.zip
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
-----------------------------------------------
1956 Volvo P1900
This quite good-looking Volvo from the mid-50s was something completeley different from what Volvo did before. Unfortunately Volvo gave themselves only two years to develop this car, so it didn't have the usual Volvo quality. That's why the production was stopped after less than 100 cars.
Neverless, the car was probably quite fast in the 50s. Its engine produced 70 horsepower, and in combination with the fibreglass body it was capable of about 100 mph.
Volvo P1900.gif
Volvo P1900.XYY.zip
(991 Bytes) Downloaded 392 times
marass

Re: [tou] Volvo Coupés and Volvo Sports cars

Post by marass »

Yeah! Volvos! I can not wait for more.
I will try them next week :) I can not wait for it :)
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

It's really time to release another one, I wanted to do this much earlier... :roll:
1969 Volvo P1800E
Another sporty Volvo, and this time properly developed! The P1800's were built from 1961 to 1972, and after the production was moved from Jensen's factory to the swedish Volvo factories, they built really reliable cars - a P1800 holds the world record for the highest mileage - currently more than three million miles :o
By today's standards, the first P1800 was a rather slow car. Although it weighs a bit more than a tonne, it "only" had 90 HP (which was really a lot in that time). But when you look at the beautiful coupé shape, it excuses for everything... ;) And with the Bosch fuel injection, the P1800E has at least got a bit more power - 122 HP in total.
Have fun!
Attachments
Volvo P1800E.gif
Volvo P1800E.XYY.zip
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Again with too much delay (I want to finish the rest of the cars this month), here's the next one. :sorry:
1971 Volvo P1800ES
One of the most iconic Volvos ever. In Germany it's known as the Schneewittchensarg (Snow White's Coffin). There's not really much more to say about this one, it's an awesome looking car with four seats and the same engines as the normal P1800.

If anyone of you is wondering why this car is worse in the corners than the normal P1800E, I made a mistake in the calculations of the P1800E's physics, at the end of the series it will be fixed... :shhh:
Attachments
Volvo P1800ES.gif
Volvo P1800ES.XYY.zip
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Before I leave to my other home, I have to release another car (it layed basically finished on my HDD) to be able to finish this project within the targeted time ;)
1976 Volvo 262C
This big coupé based on the 240/260 Series was built in a collaboration of Volvo and Bertone. Volvo sent some parts to Turin where the cars were assembled.
The 262C's were very luxurious, e.g. all had air condition, cruise control, leather interior and such stuff. This of course raised the weight of this car, it weighs almost 1.5 tonnes, so the 140HP (or later up to 155HP) engine wasn't enough to get a more sporty car than the P1800s. Anyway, this car is probably more for cruising on the interstate, so it doesn't matter that much after all. :D
Attachments
Volvo 262C.gif
Volvo 262C.XYY.zip
(966 Bytes) Downloaded 340 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Next car. Btw, if you don't comment at all, it's hard for me to find motivation to finish the cars. :worried: I guess I'll just stop carmaking for a while after this project is finished...
1985 Volvo 780
The successor of the 262C is another collaboration of Volvo and Bertone. It's pretty much a logical continuation of the 262C: A fresh design, a bit bigger engines and a bit better equipment (especially the audio system) - that's the main difference. Even with 200 turbo-horsepower, this car wasn't a rocket in the 1980's ;)
Attachments
Volvo 780.gif
Volvo 780.XYY.zip
(963 Bytes) Downloaded 349 times
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I would ask you not to judge by the number of comments to evaluate how much moral support you get. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to receive a decent amount of positive feedback, but one doesn't want to make anyone feel obliged to comment on each and every track/car made by him/her, doesn't he/she?

Anyhow, you are receiving my support, for sure. :) I'll download these in a minute...
marass

Post by marass »

Finally time to test them :shy:
Volvo 780: Really enjoyed driving it on several tracks. Funny to drive, no skids, pretty good acceleration. I like model itself, looks nice!
Volvo 262C: Well bit worse than 780, hard to steer, worse acceleration, however model itself is well made.
Volvo P1800ES (Volvo P1800E): Both are good to drive, quite fast, nicely made. At P1800ES I was afraid several times that I will turnover. But not, what is good. Model is good!

For sure pack which I will kept in my GR folder. Please make them more.

Oh, I see I did not download P1900 - will it test to Sunday.
In fact I don't know how to review cars, but I wrote down what I think about them
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks for your comments, DuklaLiberec and marass!
@DuklaLiberec: The thing is, that other carmaker's cars (e.g. Masa) get a lot more comments. The problem with getting few comments is (a) at some point you loose your motivation and (b) you don't get any feedback for the next cars. I've been making cars for a while but I still haven't figured out how to calculate the perfect car physics (I'm pretty confident about many of the models ;) ). I'm pretty sure that no car has been tested by more than three people and those are maybe too lazy to write a comment. I realise I'm not better in commenting other people's stuff (lack of time; I can't test it all) but whenever I actually test a track or a car, I write a comment.
@marass: Thanks for your comment, nice to see that someone actually appreciates the work :bg:
What would you change for the 262C's physics to make the ride more enjoyable? It obviously accelerates bad because of its power-to-weight ratio.

Anyway, I finished the next car and I have to post it now. ;)
1988 Volvo 480
There's a lot to write about this one, so where do I start? It's the first front-wheel-driven Volvo (if you ask me, the beginning of the end of Volvo). Some people say it's not a Volvo, because it was built in a dutch factory (formerly used by DAF), and was equipped with a Renault engine. On top of everything, it wasn't such a quality product as the other Volvos - the engines were reliable but the car had many problems with its advanced electrics (e.g. the 480 had a car computer) and with water leaks at the rear window.
This one is a 480 Turbo (which was built from 1988 until the end), the other possible engines were the same 1.7 engine without turbo (1986-1992) or a 2.0 engine without turbo (1992-1995). With 120 hp, it's not a real sports car, but as it weighs only about a tonne, it can at least accelerate to 100 kph in about 9 seconds.
Attachments
Volvo 480.gif
Volvo 480.XYY.zip
(982 Bytes) Downloaded 326 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

1997 Volvo C70 I Coupé
The next car is the Volvo C70 I Coupé. It's a beatuiful car, and despite that it's a really big car, it's a sleek design. The only problem for me: the front-wheel-drive ;) But on the other hand, this car is rather made for cruising than for racing, even with the biggest 240 HP engine it's no real sports car.
Attachments
Volvo C70 I Coupé.gif
Volvo C70 I Coupe.XYY.zip
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

I have to say you really can make cars :D
And I have to download all of them and write then simething about each other.
ALL TRACKS
david999

Post by david999 »

I do few laps with the two "boxy" volvos (262C & 780), and i'm very impressed about them. :) Models are very well made, and the physics too. If i take a corner hardly, it seems the car leans and i really like this. :D
And yes, you can make really good cars, as Yonnie said. ;)
Sorry for my spelling, i never learned english.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Thanks for your comments, guys :bg:
Thanks for the nice words, david999. I hope you will also test the other cars, they are more exciting to drive.
Hopefully you can test the cars soon, YonNie. I will also upload a pack at the end.

I'm a bit in a rush (in 5 days the last three cars and the final pack have to be made), but I think that I can make it ;) So here's the next car.
1999 Volvo C70 I Convertible
There's not much to write about this car, really. It's basically the convertible version of the C70 I Coupé with a textile roof, and the first open Volvo since the 1956 Volvo P1900.
Attachments
Volvo C70 I Convertible.gif
Volvo C70 I Convertible.XYY.zip
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

2007 Volvo C70 II
The second last car is the Volvo C70 II. Now there's just one version available, a convertible with a retractable hardtop. It was also praised for its security and could be one of the safest to drive convertibles :) . However, the car didn't get faster, on the opposite the T5 (biggest engine) had a bit less horsepower and (of course) the car is up to 100 kg heavier. ;)
Attachments
Volvo C70 II.gif
Volvo C70 II.XYY.zip
(1001 Bytes) Downloaded 271 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

2009 Volvo C70 II Facelift
It's similar to the 2007 Volvo C70 II ;) Only it has gotten heavier of course... :scared:

By the way, the pack will be posted later today (hopefully not tomorrow ;) ).
Attachments
Volvo C70 II Facelift.gif
Volvo C70 II Facelift.XYY.zip
(990 Bytes) Downloaded 290 times
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

I didn't see you've uploaded tha full pack what I wanted. But I saw it and fastly downloaded it. So I can say only car I don't like i P1900 model, maybe because earlier I was driving Aussie V8 by Herbal.
Cars looks fantastic and their driving model is good. Yes, it looks there we have sport, not racing cars - quite fast and driveable.
If I'd have to choose, I'd choose 480 model - small but really fast. I like it ;)
ALL TRACKS
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

How criminal, needs more S40. :P Loving the looks on these.