GeneRally 2 feature request list

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Zaekyr

Re: GeneRally 2 feature request list

Post by Zaekyr »

Such a shame. I may not be a great or prolific contributor but I feel I need to express my opinion.

When I first found GR a long time ago it was by complete accident while searching for something else. The game itself at first did not seem great but it was fun so I kept it. I pretty much liked everything about it except for the wheels which almost turned me away from playing it. In time as I played it (all original tracks and cars) I decided to look more into it. Tried making some tracks with the editor but didn't like those early tracks I was making with it. So I searched the net again and found the track database (some of you may remember that). At that time there were maybe 50-60 tracks in it some were great others not much different from the early ones I had made which made me wonder. So I looked again and discovered a link to a forum and found the GR community. That is where I found some cars made by users and a lot of great chat about racing. The most important thing in GR was its community of race fans who appreciated GR's arcade style with excellent physics. Back then if you would have asked on the forum what players would like improved about the game the majority opinions would have been more objects for tracks, more polies for cars, cylindrical wheels and online play. Those are the things most talked about then. I have seen many users come on asking if the wheels in GR can be fixed then never hear from them again. I was close to being one of them but it was GR's other unique features and its community that kept my interest. I am sure many of you have tried many other racing games like I have, from NFS to Nascar to GTR and Gran Turismo, etc. etc. None of them are anything like GR. I have never seen or heard of anything even close. To say giving GR2 cylindrical wheels would make it like other games is preposterous and lowers my opinion of the community. I always thought GR2, if it ever happened should be an improvement of GR and not a simple facelift. And with attitudes like this:

Re: Developer Blog

"For me, personally, that means simple yet recognisable appearance, simple colours, fun handling and spherical wheels. The last one is the most important as it really define a GeneRally car"

Will there be the possibility to make normal shape tyres instead of the spericial wheels?

jefcam wrote:

Will there be the possibility to make normal shape tyres instead of the spericial wheels?

It's something we can certainly consider - though I'm hesitant to go "all the way" on supporting normal tyres. Maybe something a bit more like spherical wheels with flattened sides could prove an option. It's something we'll definitely put on the "to consider" list, and come back to it sometime in the alpha testing phase :)

jefcam wrote:

"For me, personally, that means simple yet recognisable appearance, simple colours, fun handling and spherical wheels. The last one is the most important as it really define a GeneRally car"

I personal wouldn't like to see this option. Its guaranteed that people will over time go towards the regular shape and then the iconic feature is lost

No wonder the GR community has shrunk so much.
kuba

Post by kuba »

Come on, shape of wheels isn't the crucial thing in here. Sure, let's require 4D graphics with Shakira and Elton John saying driver's and track's names, because everything comes for free, right?

GR2 should be evolution, not revolution - the hardest thing is to keep the spirit in sequel - having all the things we like the most - fuel and tyre usage influencing car in balanced way the do in GR1, possibility to create tracks and car - to be able import them from GR1, but also to be able create new ones with more details/more polies.

I like the way it looks now - general lifting with few more features, bit most important is to have modern code for the game - so in future releases new features could be added easily, as we know it was one of the biggest problem in GR1.
ChiliFan

Post by ChiliFan »

Will there be an ability to place water at different height levels in the track editor? Having a set water level is quite a big restriction when making a track with a lot of elevation changes. It'd be nice to be able to place water at a high-point of a track without flooding all the lower areas.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I just played F Zero on my super nintendo.

Could it be possible have midi music in-game? for those who want it. what do you think about it?
masil

Post by masil »

Hey everyone,

I am a very long term GR fan and still play GR1 practically daily. I wanted to weigh in on the discussion about the future of GR now that the KickStarter appears to have failed.

As I gather from a number of comments here and on Twitter, many of us fans ---myself included--- are dissatisfied with the physics of GR2 (I posted in the KickStarter comments about this, too). In terms of the feel of how it is to handle the cars, GR1 simply is a very different game from GR2. If I understand them correctly, in the dev blog on the AI development, the programmers call this the "sharpness" of GR1 which they contrast with the heavy feel of GR2.

As things stand, frankly, GR1 is so much more fun to play than GR2 (more speed, higher maneuverability). While GR2 is of course in the relatively early stages of development, I think there is a fundamental difference of philosophy between GR1 and GR2 at play here (heavy versus sharp), rather than that GR2 is not that far in development yet as to match GR1 in terms of the fun-factor.

Arguably, the manner in which the cars behave in GR1 make it so unique and one of the features why we love the game so much. I wonder if this even might have been a notable reason as to why the community did not get behind GR2 in the Kickstarter in the numbers expected?

My ultimate fear is this: GR2 may end up splitting up the community in that if the final physics of GR2 turn out to be very different from those in GR1, while there will be those who migrate to GR2, there will also be those who stay with GR1 simply because the two are almost like two different games. This would be a huge loss to modding, new tracks and cars, hurting both the supply of new GR1 and GR2 tracks and cars.

What do you guys think?

Best,
Masil
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Well, even if Kickstarter won't help, GR2 will be released in future for sure.
Also GR2 have to be some evolution, cause in other way it would be only better looking GR1. One side it's okay, but other side it's innecessary. So the solution is to make it with some fresh feeling but with old GeneRally spirit. The producers have some idea how it will look - we only may say how it looks in practice.
ALL TRACKS
RodSk8Punk

Re: Official GeneRally feature request list

Post by RodSk8Punk »

How are the colors/palette going to work on GR2? Is it going to be changeable? In-game?

Cause, check this out: What if, just like in the current GR engine sounds can be matched to cars, what if we could set palettes to tracks?
Maybe I want my track to be on the moon or something, and the game automatically changed to my palette when the track was opened. It could be set in-game if you want to use the associated palettes or the default or your specific choice.

And if the menu colors were also determined by the palette, then the pause menu would also change, but only in the track.
giucanbera

Post by giucanbera »

Someone talk to RedBull GLobal RallyCross for a Partnership!
Heres some twitter accounts from GRC crew
@DPASS18 @UncleBigP @lmarkle @christopherlion @GRCDIR @JimBeaver15

It would be cool
puttz

Post by puttz »

giucanbera wrote:Someone talk to RedBull GLobal RallyCross for a Partnership!
Heres some twitter accounts from GRC crew
@DPASS18 @UncleBigP @lmarkle @christopherlion @GRCDIR @JimBeaver15

It would be cool
Sorry, but why in the world would they care about GR? There are better, more potentially profitable avenues to pursue for PR.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I don't think it has been mentioned yet: If you now use stands, they're completely full. For big motorsport venues with thousands of visitors, that's ok. But if you have a rather small track with only a few stands, it's strange and useless that there are so many spectators on the stands. That's why I suggest this (just an example):
  • By default, a stand is 20% filled (randomly), regardless of anything else. If you have 10 Persons in your track and one stand, the stand will be filled by 30%. If you have 80 or more Persons in your track, the stand will be full.
  • If you add more Stands, it could be like this: If you have 20 Persons in your track and two stands, the stands will be filled by 30%. Now you'll need 160 Persons in your track so that both stands are full.
  • It follows this formula:
    [ if(Number of Persons)/Number of Stands)>80) -> 1 ] [ else -> 10 * (Number of Persons)/(Number of Stands) ]
It's just an example, of course if this is going to be implemented, the developers will best know how to write the code and what values they should take.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

XYY wrote:I don't think it has been mentioned yet: If you now use stands, they're completely full. For big motorsport venues with thousands of visitors, that's ok. But if you have a rather small track with only a few stands, it's strange and useless that there are so many spectators on the stands. That's why I suggest this (just an example):
  • By default, a stand is 20% filled (randomly), regardless of anything else. If you have 10 Persons in your track and one stand, the stand will be filled by 30%. If you have 80 or more Persons in your track, the stand will be full.
  • If you add more Stands, it could be like this: If you have 20 Persons in your track and two stands, the stands will be filled by 30%. Now you'll need 160 Persons in your track so that both stands are full.
  • It follows this formula:
    [ if(Number of Persons)/Number of Stands)>80) -> 1 ] [ else -> 10 * (Number of Persons)/(Number of Stands) ]
It's just an example, of course if this is going to be implemented, the developers will best know how to write the code and what values they should take.
You mean like there's an extra setting for the "crowds"?
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

No, I think this could be applied in any new track. There could be an algorithm, which determines the number of people around the track and puts a proportional value in each stand.
Of course for tracks up to version 1.05 this should be deactivated (there are only full stands, no empty ones) and for some v1.1/v1.2 tracks it's maybe a problem too, but for new tracks it could be a nice addition.

(not that the developers have already enough to do :rofl: )
reynaldo123

Post by reynaldo123 »

i don't know if is late for post this, but. i have an object idea: ferris wheel (like daytona and le mans) with night lighting

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/Photo ... sWheel.jpg

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/Photo ... sWheel.jpg
"A lie is a lie. Just because they write it down and call it history doesn't make it the truth. We live in a world where seeing is not believing, where only a few know what really happened. We live in a world where everything you know is wrong."

-Alex Mason, CoD Black Ops
generalbrasil

Post by generalbrasil »

I want to suggest to it have upshift..
Sorry for my english.
puttz

Post by puttz »

generalbrasil wrote:I want to suggest to it have upshift..
This is an arcade style game, shifting isn't needed. Plus, with how short and tight the tracks are, think how much shifting would need to be done. You'd be almost constantly shifting up or down.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Straight into the El Dorado of silence goes my request for a "boost button" like KERS, which can be activated/deactivated in the menu. As much as I personally dislike this feature it would perfectly suit GR's "arcadey" gameplay.

Having the AI use that button strategically or at least in order to optimize lap times might be a bit of stretch, I guess.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

RudyOosterndijk wrote:Straight into the El Dorado of silence goes my request for a "boost button" like KERS, which can be activated/deactivated in the menu. As much as I personally dislike this feature it would perfectly suit GR's "arcadey" gameplay.

Having the AI use that button strategically or at least in order to optimize lap times might be a bit of stretch, I guess.
I have one simple suggestion which is: Can someone make a post to prove that the developers are still here? :shhh:
Gentlemens, start your engines!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's not relevant whether are here or not, important is, whether they keep anyhow working on the sequel or not. ;)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Trigger Happy wrote:It's not relevant whether are here or not, important is, whether they keep anyhow working on the sequel or not. ;)
You are right but one simple post like "we are working on it" should be enough for us. I gave up hope long ago anyway...
Gentlemens, start your engines!
Areen

Post by Areen »

This topic should be locked. (wow, what a comeback)
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Well, I disagree. Even that it is actually more unlikely to develop, release and/or sell GR2 then never before, there is still hope, a very small one, but still. And even if they return in 5, 10 or even more years, this thread will then be used. So, it'd useless to block it.
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

RobertRacer wrote:Well, I disagree. Even that it is actually more unlikely to develop, release and/or sell GR2 then never before, there is still hope, a very small one, but still. And even if they return in 5, 10 or even more years, this thread will then be used. So, it'd useless to block it.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Areen

Post by Areen »

RobertRacer wrote:Well, I disagree. Even that it is actually more unlikely to develop, release and/or sell GR2 then never before, there is still hope, a very small one, but still. And even if they return in 5, 10 or even more years, this thread will then be used. So, it'd useless to block it.
But it won't be released.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Areen wrote:
But it won't be released.
It's never ever late to start believe in miracles and Superheroes :shy:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

As long as there's no word from the devs saying it won't be released, this topic will stay open. You may discuss that issue but not in this topic, thank you.