GWR (Generally World Ranking)

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
Jo.sk
GeneRally Wizard

GWR (Generally World Ranking)

Post by Jo.sk »

GENERALLY WORLD RANKING

PRESENTATION

The GWR or Generally World Ranking aims to compare the performances of Generally drivers according to their performances in various competitions and to the difficulty of these.
It is based on the same idea as GRADE which is today abandoned.

There are three types of events :
- Hotlap : alone against the time, only the best lap is counted (or the 2,3,4,... best laps).
- Time trial : alone against the time during several laps in a row or rally stage.
- Race : against 1 to 5 AI controled by computer.

There is three types of periods :
- by month : it's the GENERALLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
- by year.
- general classification.

SUPPORTED EVENTS

To be supported, a competition must have :
- A new competition, a new season of an old competition or a special event must have an English thread (with the rules, the schedule and the files to use) in the following English forum, in competitions section : Generally Int'l Forum
- a website (not obligatory) either in english or enough intelligible to be understood by a non English-Speaker.
Supported competitions : -> Supported Events <-

POINTS SYSTEM

Read the rules : http://joskgr.free.fr/GWR/rules/Rules.html
Last edited by Jo.sk on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jo.sk
GeneRally Wizard

Re: GWR (Generally World Ranking)

Post by Jo.sk »

HISTORY (by month)

HISTORY (by year)

Last edited by Jo.sk on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo.sk
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Jo.sk »

You can write here all you ideas, suggestions and complaints about :
- points system
- rules
- oversights / mistakes
- other things ...

;)
Raska

Post by Raska »

Jo.sk wrote:You can write here all you ideas, suggestions and complaints about :
- points system
- rules
- oversights / mistakes
- other things ...

;)
And supporting posts !!

:clap: :bg: Long life GWR !! :champa: Thank you jo.sk ! :rocks:

The thread will be stickied soon... ;)
You are a part of the community, so vote for the ToM Track of the Month

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

All my results thanks to the GWR
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

And huge congrats to new World Champion! :king: :clap: :wow:
Buka

Post by Buka »

:iagree: Alexsara was truly incredible in 2009. I hope that in 2010 he'll have great fight with maclape, Luketes and other GR schumies. Congratulations, Speed King! :rocks:
James C.

Post by James C. »

Well, well, well, I am not as enthusiastic as you about Alexsara's victory to last year's GWR... Because I would like to point a problem with the community.

First, I would like to say that I have nothing against him, I think he is a very fast, a reliable, and a nice driver, I don't have any problem with his skills or his behaviour in general.

My problem is that he basically won the GWR because he raced around 100 more events than top 10 drivers, so actually I have a problem with the GWR itself, which takes the sum of all events, when we had Alx.it versus Murano a few years back, it was not a problem at all since there was a battle on standings and also on track, but now they retired and Alexsara is alone to make a huge amount of events.

The other good drivers don't have the time nor the will to race 250 events per year, don't forget this is the reason that motivated Murano and Alx.it to retire after 2 stunning years, because when your race almost 5 events / week, there is a moment where you are not as motivated as before.

That's why, I proposed to jo in the french forum to change the system. It is very difficult to make this change because this would have consequences on the compos themselves. But I think that leave the system as it is doesn't mean anything anymore.

So my latest idea about this would be :
  • To count only the 50 best events for the yearly classification
  • But to leave the monthly classification as it is
This is not the best idea (I think there a no excellent idea anyway), but as I said, I really think the system have to change.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Indeed, one of the reasons that my interest died in GR last time that the game worked, was that I was pushing myself through too many compos. I was never going to get a good position in GWR, but it simply made me slower and less interested.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

:iagree: with James

at some points ;-) mainly that he was just racing in almost all events he could (except GRC for example) and IMHO he is not the best driver around, look at gr.f1, here he is just in top10 and win only 2 races but he is champion due to partecipating....

but monthly standings are fine to me ;-)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

However it's not good motivation for drivers - they will then focus on 50 races in most prestigious leagues, where is lot of drivers (ToM + F1 in races and F1 in hotlaps and you'll earn 35/40 events immediately), so smaller compos will die because of lack of interest or will become really 2nd rate crap.

Also it can show, that top drivers will drive only few cars (F1 e.g.), world ranking is place, where is shown common skill (rally cars, touring cars, prototypes or kart too), Alexsara79 can win with any, that's not common ability between drivers. BTW alexasara79 was 6 times on podium in F1 2009, so it's far away from 'only top 10 racing'.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I think it should be the 50 highest placings of the year, where the score would be relative to the number of drivers (e.g. you'd get more points for coming 25th out of 30 than for coming 6th out of 6). Obviously that needs work, but that's a vague idea.
Raska

Post by Raska »

James C. wrote:That's why, I proposed to jo in the french forum to change the system. It is very difficult to make this change because this would have consequences on the compos themselves. But I think that leave the system as it is doesn't mean anything anymore.
I disagree with the last sentence... The GWR mean as much as before, but as you said no-one could follow alexsara's rythym in 2009. That's not his fault if the top drivers decided to stop/drive less. Of course the GWR title chase was more interesting when we were 5-6 to race in quiet every compos as we had to be performant in every of them (that was a supplementary difficulty somewhere). But it's up to every interested drivers to try to follow him. They were also less compos and less drivers in 2009 than in 2008 or before...
James C. wrote:So my latest idea about this would be :
  • To count only the 50 best events for the yearly classification
  • But to leave the monthly classification as it is
This is not the best idea (I think there a no excellent idea anyway), but as I said, I really think the system have to change.
It could be interesting as the yearly classification would be provisory until the last Race... but as Ivo said, that would bring lots of troubles... particularly for the little compos, the TT and Hotlaps compos. And remember, that we even found the time to organise compos when we raced as little devils. :lol: ;)
I think it's logical that the GWR favorise the participation, that's fair and as Ivo said it must recognize the ambivalence of the drivers.

So, congrats alexsara79 :bg: He already equaled Alx.it :bowdown: in the number of victories ! :shock:
Lukeno1 wrote:Indeed, one of the reasons that my interest died in GR last time that the game worked, was that I was pushing myself through too many compos. I was never going to get a good position in GWR, but it simply made me slower and less interested.
It's somewhere strange to hear that from you... but it shows that's hard to play in many compos (even if that could make you learn faster IMO), so it give more values to alexsara's performances.

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

James C.

Post by James C. »

Raska wrote: I disagree with the last sentence... The GWR mean as much as before, but as you said no-one could follow alexsara's rythym in 2009. That's not his fault if the top drivers decided to stop/drive less. Of course the GWR title chase was more interesting when we were 5-6 to race in quiet every compos as we had to be performant in every of them (that was a supplementary difficulty somewhere). But it's up to every interested drivers to try to follow him. They were also less compos and less drivers in 2009 than in 2008 or before...
Sorry, but IMHO it should crown the best driver, not the one who "just" raced most events... 2009 we had Alexsara, but what if Alexsara decide to retire and an average driver decides to do the same and wins GWR ? ;)

That's also why I won't agree to this :
Raska wrote: I think it's logical that the GWR favorise the participation, that's fair and as Ivo said it must recognize the ambivalence of the drivers.
Encourage participation up to at such point is just ridiculous IMHO.
alexwolf79

Post by alexwolf79 »

Alexsara79

Total points '09 : 14.139
Average : 58.19
Events : 243
Wins : 112
Podium : 188
Best Laps : 86

thanks all to this fantastic year....
I LOVE GeneRally..... :P

:champa:
akouk

Post by akouk »

First thing first:
Congratulations to Alexsara79 :champa:
As far as I can judge from the races I took part, he was challenged but not beaten.

Also :clap: Luketes for crossing the GWR finish line ahead of me ( :oopstable: ).

-----------------------------

Now that the 1st age of GR is over and our community has reached a point adultation, we face some issues (like the one dealed with here), which are quite common in racing communities everywhere.
The profound question seems to be: Who deserves to win?
Commitment Vs Occasionality?
Talent Vs Consistansy?

A simple answer could be: If you play by the rules, then you deserve to win. (I could not argue to that, that's why I support Alexsara's title).

I also consider the issue James brought up to be correct. I think that if we narrow down the races that score for the annual GWR, then it would become more available to drivers who would like to give it a shot, thus more competitive and exciting.

I agree with Ivo's point about selective events, that would divide combos to A and B class. That's not necessary a bad thing though, because it will create "rookie combos" and "advanced combos" with better motivation for others, since the best drivers will not feel obliged to race everywhere just to pick up loose points.

On the other hand, how fair it would seem if we give the title to a 50-event driver, against a 150-event one?
My point to this, is that GR (as we beautifully have raised it) is not a cold-heart competition. So we ought to give priority to players playing mostly for fun, rather by an urge to be winners. Ofcourse playing primarily for fun does not eliminate, or replace the good feeling of winning.

I could draw the middle line somewhere in between:
Lets decide, what's the number of races for a "decent" annual GR participation?
What would be an acheivable number of events for anyone who seriously wish to take a shot at the title?
So my proposition is this:
Let the "X" best results of each player score for the annual GWR.

The advantage of this, is that you could do just "X" events and wait for the end of the year.
Or do "X" + "X" events to enchase your results options.
("X" stands for the maximum number of events, from a driver's annual participation list, that score points).

Also critical, is that you let players choose the events they attent.

Happy 2nd GR age to us all :drive:

PS. Updated 19:52
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

James C. wrote:Sorry, but IMHO it should crown the best driver, not the one who "just" raced most events... 2009 we had Alexsara, but what if Alexsara decide to retire and an average driver decides to do the same and wins GWR ? ;)
Average driver cannot win the GWR ever. If I (as typical average driver) would be as active as alexsara79 and join all races like he, I wouldn't be even in top 3 of this year clearly (less than 7000 pts.). Alexsara join 243 races and was 188 times on podium. This is mark of pleasure with GR and mark quality, not quantity.
James C.

Post by James C. »

akouk wrote:On the other hand, how fair it would seem if we give the title to a 50-event driver, against a 150-event one?
My point to this, is that GR (as we beautifully have raised it) is not a cold-heart competition. So we ought to give priority to players playing mostly for fun, rather by an urge to be winners. Ofcourse playing primarily for fun does not eliminate, or replace the good feeling of winning.
I agree with you in that point, especially since GR is not adapted to competition purpose (maybe this will change if we have new versions), however, we can do many things with it, and compos is a part of the community.

But as the racing community developed, we began to have driver who taken it seriously with all consequences (higher racing level, GWR, drivers who really invested into racing, but also less appreciable stuff such as cheating), maybe we haven't totally forgotten the "source", but we came to a point where some problems cannot be ignored anymore.
akouk wrote:I could draw the middle line somewhere in between:
Lets decide, what's the number of races for a "decent" annual GR participation?
What would be an acheivable number of events for anyone who seriously wish to take a shot at the title?
So my proposition is this:
Let the "X" best results of each player score for the annual GWR.
That's a good idea, but I'll maintain my initial number : 50 / year.

I said 50 because it seemed correct towards top 15/20 drivers, 19 drivers made at least 50 events this year, 14 of them are in the top 20, and then we have many drivers between 25 and 50 events, but I would say that less than 50 is too low.

I also said 50 because there are 52 weeks in a year, so it leave the possibility to make 1 event / week with 2 weeks of "holidays", 1 event / week is not too harsh, especially if it's login events or ToM events. ;)

But I really would like to know Alx.it's (or even Murano's) opinion about this idea... anyway I think if such rule can make come back retired drivers like them, then it would be a victory for the community. Of course, they are old drivers, and not new ones (and we all know we also need them), but we will still be more on track, and if a compo like ToM would have 50 drivers, maybe smaller compos would have 15 or 20 (and 15 is already a decent number for a compo, believe me).
Average driver cannot win the GWR ever. If I (as typical average driver) would be as active as alexsara79 and join all races like he, I wouldn't be even in top 3 of this year clearly (less than 7000 pts.). Alexsara join 243 races and was 188 times on podium. This is mark of pleasure with GR and mark quality, not quantity.
But you would be in top 5 right ? Is that a "right" position for an average driver ? As it is a classification, we shouldn't stop to the winner...

Anyway, it's sad to see that we must race 4 or 5 events / week to have a chance to win GWR. :|
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

But on other hand, it would be based on results of only few grand-slams, highly probably only races and nothing more. I consider GWR like something ATP rank in tennis, watch, how much matches out of Australian/French/US/British Opens had to play Federer to be, where he is in end of the year.

Currently, now is the 'problem' only mix of quality and attendance, when was last year brmileski on 4th with 235 events no problem. Or was his position unfair?
akouk

Post by akouk »

Ivo Porc wrote: I consider GWR like something ATP rank in tennis, watch, how much matches out of Australian/French/US/British Opens had to play Federer to be, where he is in end of the year.
That's a good point. On the other hand I find myself motivated for 100 events but not for 250.

Anyway, all champions have invested lots of time to earn their titles.
When Jo did it there was no force on the planet to beat him.
Also remember JRZullo's comment "GR was our sole purpose in life".
Alx.it's experience was the same.
I couldn't possibly argue about the value of Alessio's title. He invested his time and it paid off, just like the rest. Besides, he would had probably won even with 160 events.
James C.

Post by James C. »

Yep, but even I never said that it wasn't deserved after all ! ;)

Actually, we don't even if jo.sk would even consider to change the system, but I think it's good to discuss this.
Currently, now is the 'problem' only mix of quality and attendance, when was last year brmileski on 4th with 235 events no problem. Or was his position unfair?
Well, I would say he was not among the 4 best drivers who did 50+ events (no offence), so I don't know if it is "unfair", but I think other drivers deserved this 4th place more than him.

But, past is past, and we don't ask or consider to ask to change previous years classification, but a change for this year ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

James C. wrote:But, past is past, and we don't ask or consider to ask to change previous years classification, but a change for this year ;)
Sure, it was only example. BTW IMHO he showed sometimes, that he can be serious rival even to Murano or Alx.it during season.

I see two problems in the proposal - too less events, which would cause problems for smaller compos and in fact limiting of results to only race events. I would be able to live with e.g. 60-70 best results in race events, 35 hotlaps and 25 TT events. Not only to motivate drivers to join this kinds of events, but to have real general world champion contrary to second race champion, which would be with limit of 50 events. Also about 120-130 events max. in sum of all kinds of events seems to be very possible for all.
Raska

Post by Raska »

:iagree: with Ivo.

Even at the most activ period of my career I still could have done more compos and I was already doing 7-8 of them simultaneously. That's just a question of organisation. And I'm quiet sure it was the case of Alex and Murano too. The main "problem" is that we don't control the compos and every factor it involve.
James C. wrote:
Raska wrote: I think it's logical that the GWR favorise the participation, that's fair and as Ivo said it must recognize the ambivalence of the drivers.
Encourage participation up to at such point is just ridiculous IMHO.
Which point ? I guess, you still want that the GWR give points at every interested compos.. Anyway it's not the case, if it was enough to take part at every compos for winning the annual GWR that would be the case. Actually, it's not possible and it never happened, you have to make good results.

The idea to keep the monthly standings and make something different for the annual standing is good. But it should take all the types of compos into account... so I don't like the idea of best x results.

BTW yesteday we had a trouble with the forum and today it seems the GWR site isn't available... damn computers. :compko:

Competitions I've won :

James C.

Post by James C. »

Raska wrote: Which point ?
The point where a driver (even if he is good enough to be able to win GWR) wins because he made 100 more events than other good drivers.
Raska wrote: The idea to keep the monthly standings and make something different for the annual standing is good. But it should take all the types of compos into account... so I don't like the idea of best x results.
It's an idea like another, the fact to take into consideration all types of compos is a good idea too... ;)

Anyway, as I said before, I have nothing against Alexsara, I think he deserved his title, however, I have something against the current lack of competition in GWR, what I would like, is to find a solution to permit other good drivers to fight for the GWR title without having to race "billion events".
Rich.K

Post by Rich.K »

I think Alexsara is a worthy champion of 2009, I know the game died a bit with RSC going down but he stuck to it and got the results, on track too seems pretty rapid, congrats!

I have never committed the time to race throughout the whole year, it would be a good idea perhaps if racing in the higher more establised competitions eg: ToM, GRASCAR Generally lemans etc stood out alot more in the system as this is where all the 'big guns' battle on track, but I must admit every time I raced GRASCAR which was probably the main championship I ever raced in where drivers are showing they're full limits I always seemed to come 2nd to the GWR champions of each year, I suppose it does show your dedication and love to the game if you can stick at it the whole year, its a tough one :D

Rich.K ;)
Jo.sk
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Jo.sk »

After carefully reading your comments and a lot of testing, I think I found a fair system.

The whole year will be counted (well it won't encourage drivers to do only events with large multipliers) but only the best results will be fully counted.
Let me explain the idea by taking the yearly classification : top 25 results are fully counted, the next 25 are divided by 2, the next 25 are divided by 4, the next 25 are divided by 8, ...
In this case, with a big number of events the sum of multipliers approaches 50, which is somehow equivalent to the 50 best results of JTarJ's proposition except in mine all results are counted.
Then we must also encourage drivers who struggle for general standing to run in the 3 categories, so the idea would be not to take the best results (regardless of the category) by increment of 25 for drivers and 40 for teams, but the best results of each category by increment of X (to be defined).

Concerning 2009 we had 283 events distributed as follows : 145 races, 90 hotlaps and 48 timetrials, so we will take for 2010 the following increments (rounded to the higher integer) :
- drivers : 25/283 * 145 = 13 in race, 25/283 * 90 = 8 in hotlap and 25/283 * 90 = 5 in timetrial.
- teams : 40/283 * 145 = 21 in race, 40/283 * 90 = 13 in hotlap and 40/283 * 90 = 7 in timetrial.

The total abtained with this method is called the "score" and used to establish rankings by year / month / categories. The drivers keep a total of "points" to be used for statistics (like Prost in 1988 who scored 105pts for his personal statistics, but only the 11 best results and 87pts were counted for 1988 World Championship).

For monthly rankings the increments will be in all categories : 2 for drivers and 3 for teams.

To avoid that there is big fluctuations in the rankings because of the size of increments which can change, they will be set at the beginning of the year thanks to the number of races, HL and TT of the previous year.

Summary :

1) by year :
- race score = 13 best results with multiplier 1, the next 13 best results x1/2, the next 13 best results x1/4, ...
- HL score = 8 best results with multiplier 1, the next 8 best results x1/2, the next 8 best results x1/4, ...
- TT score = 5 best results with multiplier 1, the next 5 best results x1/2, the next 5 best results x1/4, ...
- Overall score = race score + HL score + TT score.

2) classification by month :
- race score = 2 best results with multiplier 1, the next 2 best results x1/2, the next 2 best results x1/4, ...
- HL score = 2 best results with multiplier 1, the next 2 best results x1/2, the next 2 best results x1/4, ...
- TT score = 2 best results with multiplier 1, the next 2 best results x1/2, the next 2 best results x1/4, ...
- Overall score = race score + HL score + TT score.

3) Any work deserves payment :
- All results, good or bad, can becomes 0pt with multiplier.
-> then scores for each events are rounded to the higher integer.

4a) example :
- A driver runs 6 races in the month and earns the following GWR points : 45, 3, 28, 102, 47, 68.
- The results are in reverse order : 102, 68, 47, 45, 28, 3.
- Therefore the score is (each division is rounded to the higher integer) : 102 + 68 + 47/2 + 45/2 + 28/4 + 3/4 = 102 + 68 + 24 + 23 + 7 + 1 = 225 (on a total of 293pts).

4b) example with disqualification :
- A driver runs 6 races in the month and earns the following GWR points : 45, 3, 28, 0 (DQ), 47, 68.
- The DQ in placed at the beginning of the list
-> The results are in reverse order : 0, 68, 47, 45, 28, 3.
- Therefore the score is (each division is rounded to the higher integer) : 0 + 68 + 47/2 + 45/2 + 28/4 + 3/4 = 0 + 68 + 24 + 23 + 7 + 1 = 123 (on a total of 191pts).

5) conclusions:
- It's easy to understand.
- This allows closer results.
- Drivers who have less time than Alexsara79 can fight for GWR victory (as long as they not take part to a very few number of events, and unless they are as good as him, which was not the case in 2009 except occasionally).
- this is not anti-Alexsara rules because if they was applied to 2009, Alex would keep all his wictories in yearly classifications and also won the January, February, March, April, June, July, August, September and December classifications like currently. He won thanks to his strength and skill, not because of his attendance (which only accentuated the gap on his opponents).

it's not definitive, you can make comments and other propositions ;)
Last edited by Jo.sk on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.